• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft reprinting Beyond Good & Evil to sell for $9.99?

If they release it for the Wii they can call it Imagine: Boredom! I'll be here all day, folks.

I only played the PS2 version but I remember it struggling to stay above 20 fps on the overworld.

MattNY

Excellent. I will probably pick it up as the PS2 version is the only one I don't own. And it's now the only venue I have at the moment to even play it ironically.

If this helps fund or persuade Ubi to continue onward with the sequel, I will happily give 10 dollars to that.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
This is fantastic news, it's a shame that the GameCube version won't be reprinted (but understandable). What DOESN'T make sense is that Microsoft hasn't added the game to its backwards compatibility list so they could sell it as an Xbox Original. If I recall correctly (somebody school me if not), the Xbox version was the only version to have 16:9 support, the other versions were simply letterboxed in a 4:3 frame.

jax (old)

Banned
Arkaerial said:
Don't worry everyone has an opinion, some just try to make theirs a fact.

I'll pass on it since I already own the PC version. While I really enjoyed the game a lot I don't feel it warrants repurchasing a game that I still own.

Jax said:

my post, my opinion so yes, its fact to me.

I bought into BG+E on the back of gaf hype and I was like this generic shit? The cast + jade + world were all unappealing. Eurotrash daytime kid tv art.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
thuway said:
Would it be that hard to redo the game in 1080p and re-release it on XBLA / PSN?
They'd have to raise the XBLA cap a LOT for that to happen.

And up-rezzing an entire game's textures isn't as simple as you seem to think. They'd probably have to all be redrawn entirely. Life doesn't work like those security cameras in cop shows where they can zoom in 20x on a low-res image of a crowd and magically turn it into a crystal clear view of someone's face with the press of a button.

neight

Banned
lol what's this 'ps2 port is shitty' nonsense. It's the only version with progressive scan support and it was lauded as one of the best looking PS2 games. The other two console versions may be better for their better textures and framerate and especially the Xbox's 16:9 support but the PS2 port was not a shit port.
diss said:
the performance of the ps2 version was shit enough to make me not want to play it :/ pc version however was fine!
Except for no analog control which is why I trashed Prince of Persia:SoT PC version and got the Xbox version instead.

MattNY

Jax said:
my post, my opinion so yes, its fact to me.

I bought into BG+E on the back of gaf hype and I was like this generic shit? The cast + jade + world were all unappealing. Eurotrash daytime kid tv art.

A bit harsh, but you're right. Its your opinion.

Just like when everyone comes in here and says the game is great. They are imposing their opinion as fact as much as someone that says they didn't enjoy it.

But considering you didn't like it, you came in and said your peace about the game. Anything more will just seem silly. You're not going to sway the opinion of those here that love the game, myself included. Just let us talk about what we found to be enjoyable.

Who the hell considers it one of the best looking PS2 games? Ray Charles? *Ba-dump tish*

I just popped it in and I made it about 20 minutes before wanting to slit my wrists out of boredom. The framerate is all over the place and the artstyle is completely unappealing. Now playing Jak and Daxter to cleanse my PS2 of its shittiness.

neight

Banned
nincompoop said:
Who the hell considers it one of the best looking PS2 games? Ray Charles? *Ba-dump tish*
I meant when it first came out obviously(although I still think it holds up pretty well for a PS2 game). You can look up reviews if you want to check a lot of them mention it.
I just popped it in and I made it about 20 minutes before wanting to slit my wrists out of boredom. The framerate is all over the place and the artstyle is completely unappealing. Now playing Jak and Daxter to cleanse my PS2 of its shittiness.
Controversial opinion on a well loved game noted for the second time.

Davidion

I just started playing this again after resolving some of the graphic issues with the steam version. The game is very enjoyable and after a slow start, really kicks into gear once you're an hour or so in. The beat'em up action is arguably a bit generic, but the overall package of
pearl collecting, stealth sections, and racing/driving
feels nice and solid at the end of the day. The camera does blow, and I've had minor issues with controlling Jade in some of the "dungeons" but thankfully none of it serves as more than minor and temporary annoyances.

Not sure if it's worth all the astronomic hype that it gets, but the game is solid. Unless you don't have a fitting console/PC, I'd definitely recommending seek it out if one hasn't played it yet. I don't know how the hell it looks on consoles, but it looks pretty damn nice for an old game on the PC.

Just made it inside the Slaughterhouse

Ranger X

Captain Chaos said:
Wii version please.

This news surely hints at a sequel, fingers crossed!!

heh? The sequel was already announced and with a teaser on top of that. It's on 360 and PS3 (at least).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love it. if you like adventure games, you should buy it. it's not overly long, choosing instead to pare the experience down to some great exploration, nice action set pieces, and characters that will charm the pants off you. certainly a better made game than most recent adventure game offerings.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Do I need a memory card to play a gamcube game on my wii?

I guess I rather get the gamecube version since the xbox version is not BC.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Princess Skittles said:
Yes, a GameCube memory card. But if you don't have one, there are some GREAT GameCube game you could pick up as well.

Thanks, my last nintendo system before I got the wii was the nes :/

-old sega fanboy :)

neight said:
lol what's this 'ps2 port is shitty' nonsense. It's the only version with progressive scan support and it was lauded as one of the best looking PS2 games. The other two console versions may be better for their better textures and framerate and especially the Xbox's 16:9 support but the PS2 port was not a shit port.

That's right, now that you mention it: and turning on 480p on the PS2 caused sprites to draw incorrectly in the menu, when I played it. But no, it truly wasn't a "shit port". It was just not quite as good on the older hardware, like many games.

Never played it... but bring it on GC cuz i really loved using the NGC controller.

I wished they would reprint Prince of Persia:The Sands of Time on NGC too. I missed that boat. I already have the 2nd on GC and Thrid one on PS 2.

jett

D-Member
Some months ago I bought BGE for PS2 based on the hype it recieved on this forum.

I didn't understand the hype. :p I think I played it until some stealth-heavy dungeon and lost all will to continue after that.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
surprising. the stealth is extremely obvious and there largely as a puzzle, not an in-depth splinter cell-esque stealth mechanic. as a result, it's actually fun and polished. probably the only game i've ever genuinely enjoyed the stealth.

AniHawk

jett said:
Some months ago I bought BGE for PS2 based on the hype it recieved on this forum.

I didn't understand the hype. :p I think I played it until some stealth-heavy dungeon and lost all will to continue after that.

Yeah, you kinda have to like really good adventure games to enjoy BGE.

Snaku

Banned
beelzebozo said:
surprising. the stealth is extremely obvious and there largely as a puzzle, not an in-depth splinter cell-esque stealth mechanic. as a result, it's actually fun and polished. probably the only game i've ever genuinely enjoyed the stealth.

That's pretty much how I feel about it too.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I thought the PS2 version wasn't as good as the GCN, Xbox or PC versions. Might as well get it through Steam, then...

Brashnir said:
The downloadable Xbox Originals all run through emulation, so it has to be on the BC list before they can release it as a download.

Yep. I still have my original but no Xbox anymore. I just want them to make it BC first. If they want to do an XBO with it, fine. BC first, though, and this reissue along with a sequel coming should show Ubi that their engineers need to work with MS to figure a way to make it work.

Darkpen

Banned
archnemesis said:
I played it (for the first time) a month ago and the only real flaw with it was an annoying sound bug where SFXs would get stuck in infinite loops. Never seen the other versions, so it's possible they have shorter load times and other minor improvements.
oh yeaaaaahh... I totally forgot.

beelzebozo said:

I feel exactly the same. I hate stealth sections in any other game, but in Beyond Good & Evil I actually liked it.

dr_rus

epmode said:
Gamepad controls on PC release pls.

(and don't say Xpadder or whatever)
No shitty copy protection and Vista x64 compatibility this time please. (Is the Steam version the same as old retail which isn't working in Vista, btw?)

Gwanatu T

Nemesis556 said:
Man I remember buying this for around $20 back in the day, brand new, since it bombed so bad.

Love this game, hope this is an indication that we'll be seeing more of Beyond Good and Evil 2 soon.

As did I, wonderful game.

Kade

I bought the game on Steam a few weeks ago and was surprised at how bad it ran on an 8800GT. I had to disable all the filters in the standalone options menu, and I still get random frame rate drops once in a while.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
jett said:

Oh man, by the end of that dungeon (the factory) I was hooked on the game. Before the factory I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but after completing the factory the game really grew on me. You should have kept going just a bit longer...

FoxSpirit

Would buy this on this, can't. Have the old PC version, which neatly doesn't support pads... So you only have digital sttering to run around... bleh. So I hope I can get this new release in Europe.

Sydle

More people need to play this game. It was all good

save for the last boss. reverse controls earn developers negaitve kudos

diss said:
the performance of the ps2 version was shit enough to make me not want to play it :/ pc version however was fine!

oh yea ? have you even played either ? because the pc version was this shittiest of all. Xbox version was by far the best one.

Sydle

Unregistered007 said:
oh yea ? have you even played either ? because the pc version was this shittiest of all. Xbox version was by far the best one.

Played it on the cube, but I didn't notice any problems? What was better about the Xbox version?

AniHawk

Paco said:
More people need to play this game. It was all good

save for the last boss. reverse controls earn developers negaitve kudos

The last boss fight was brilliant. Seriously.
It connects you to Jade's confusion/disorientation through the actual gameplay. Your brain reacts like 'hers' does and you're both forced to readjust. It's totally awesome.

Top Bottom