• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch_Dogs will run at 900p on PS4 and 792p on XB1, both at 30fps

tehbible posted a rig that was in the $650 range that didn't meet minimum requirements. The rig I posted almost met the recommended and yes I forgot the $50 for a hdd which would allow for double the capacity available in a PS4.

Just trying to let people know that if they wanted to build a PC for gaming that while it would cost as much as the 2 current consoles it could, in most cases meet the "1080@60fps" that seems to be so important.

I posted the benchmark numbers because others were mentioning how poorly optimized AC4 was.

Appreciate the quote though, not sure what about my post insinuated that I thought that highly of myself.

You can do 1080p with less than the recommended PC setup, that setup is just for everthing maxed up. Just lower a few settings and it will probably run fine in a midtier PC graphics card at 1080p / 60fps.

My god do you people judging us even bother searching for the actual complaints or did you just find the most superficial ones so you could wave your superiority judging flag. Please. 900p is only another step in the ladder not the whole slip'n'slide and Ubisoft is a stick of butter covered in grease.

And to think, some of you guys thought the game would run at 1080p 60fps on PS4....
original.jpg

Damn, no #Driveclub game box anywhere in sight. Disappointing.

My PS4 is getting some good run right now with FFXIV so I can't complain.

tehbible

tehbible posted a rig that was in the $650 range that didn't meet minimum requirements. The rig I posted almost met the recommended and yes I forgot the $50 for a hdd which would allow for double the capacity available in a PS4.

Just trying to let people know that if they wanted to build a PC for gaming that while it would cost as much as the 2 current consoles it could, in most cases meet the "1080@60fps" that seems to be so important.

I posted the benchmark numbers because others were mentioning how poorly optimized AC4 was.

Appreciate the quote though, not sure what about my post insinuated that I thought that highly of myself.

the only component that didn't meet 'their' minimum requirements is the RAM. and even then, a 4GB RAM can still run the game. doesn't mean that it will somehow not work.

If you add in 4GB RAM of my existing build it would hit $650, which is a solid price point / performance considering my build includes a GTX 770, a pretty good bang for buck GPU.

Since this thread is filled with graphic whores, why not just go PC? It would meet your criteria of 1080p+ when it comes to gaming.

Mononoke

Banned
Hyperbole at its finest.

What's with the sudden interest in resolution this generation anyway? When it was revealed that CoD4:MW ran at 576p there wasn't even a thread about it. A few posts in the OT that lasted for less than a page, and that was it. People didn't really care.

What has changed? Why has resolution suddenly become more important than gameplay to some? There are actually people who are not going to buy Watch Dogs because it's 900p and not 1080p. I find this ridiculous.

Well it's 2014 and most people now own 1080p HDTVs. A lot of people have had them for years but I think the price drop means that a lot more have boughten one. Plus most have become used to 1080p Blu Ray and 1080i HD cable or whatever. 1080p is pretty standard HD resolution and has been for some time now.

Then it's just the fact that it's a new generation and people want an improvement over the last. I don't really think it's that weird people care about it. If anything I think a lot of people wanted 1080p last gen but didn't complain because the system limitations. Now there is an expectation that the systems should be designed to output 1080p HD content.

Except that crap was what people expected as the standard for this gen and it's crap that has been possible on PC for cheap for the past 5 years.

Anyone who expected 60fps as standard on next-gen is crazy.

30fps has been the standard on consoles since the inception of 3D graphics, there was zero reason to expect it to change except to get all uppity and superior about PC hardware.

There's an awful lot of propaganda and snake oil going on in this forums, especially with PC users poo-pooing consoles because they don't match up with their arbitrary standards that were always unrealistic for a $400 machine.

Let us not forget all the PC users saying how what turned out to be PS4 Watchdog footage blew away the consoles and would never be possible on it. People are clearly just saying anything to justify themselves and feel superior. 30fps "literally unplayable" etc.

Stop it.

You can do 1080p with less than the recommended PC setup, that setup is just for everthing maxed up. Just lower a few settings and it will probably run fine in a midtier PC graphics card at 1080p / 60fps.

Absolutely, so something around 7-800 would probably be more than adequate and that's with a monitor. I do find it funny that people insist on including that cost when it comes to a PC but don't talk about the cost of an HDTV when it comes to a console purchase.

The biggest thing you avoid by getting a console is not having to buy an OS.

Not hating on consoles btw I own every console except the Xbox One.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I finished and loved SS but come on... it doesn't have the GTA-style living breathing city that Watch Dogs will have.
I just had to reply because of the copy-pasted enthusiast press hyperbole you used.

What has that to do with graphics, though?

To be clear: My assumption is that Watch Dogs does not simulate a whole city at all times and that they smoke and mirror the fuck out of everything, just like every developer before them.

Liamario

Banned
Hopefully the game looks and runs great when it's released. I would prefer 1080p 60fps, who wouldn't, but if the image quality and animations are great the game will be immersive enough on the graphics side. Like many here, I will wait for the reviews to see if there is enough variety to make it fun.

(Ubi... just don't screw us with by downgrading The Division. That is the golden goose!)

I understand from talking to someone who has played a version of the game, that the graphics are very disappointing.

the only component that didn't meet 'their' minimum requirements is the RAM. and even then, a 4GB RAM can still run the game. doesn't mean that it will somehow not work.

If you add in 4GB RAM of my existing build it would hit $650, which is a solid price point / performance considering my build includes a GTX 770, a pretty good bang for buck GPU.

Since this thread is filled with graphic whores, why not just go PC? It would meet your criteria of 1080p+ when it comes to gaming.

I apologize if it sounded like I was attacking the build. What you proposed would be a good entry level PC. Someone else posted something that was closer to $1300 and I just wanted to get it out there that one can have most of the performance for middle of the road money between the two. The current machine I'm on cost me $700 to build last year.

If you shop the prices and not try to get everything from one place you can build a powerful machine for less than $900 easy. Especially if you have stores like Microcenter and Fry's nearby

Absolutely, so something around 7-800 would probably be more than adequate and that's with a monitor. I do find it funny that people insist on including that cost when it comes to a PC but don't talk about the cost of an HDTV when it comes to a console purchase.

The biggest thing you avoid by getting a console is not having to buy an OS.

Not hating on consoles btw I own every console except the Xbox One.

It might be because people buy TVs regardless of owning a console, to you know, watch TV.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I just had to reply because of the copy-pasted enthusiast press hyperbole you used.

What has that to do with graphics, though?

Your comment is weird, there's nothing "copy-pasted enthusiast press hyperbole" about his comment, I knew exactly what he was talking about, Most people should.

The way I see it, if you care about resolution so much, you shouldn't be buying multiplatform games on underpowered consoles. They're made for the mass market, not people that count pixels and decide not to buy games if they're only at a measly 900p.

Why are people pricing PC's that meet the recommended specs everywhere?

My PC is always above them and never gets a smooth 1080p/60fps on a Ubi game.

Just stop it ffs, the comparison is meaningless when these fuckers don't optimize their games.

benny_a

and people have PCs for more than just gaming so why does it matter that they cost more than a console?
I don't agree that this is a valid comparison.

A TV is a display device. Which you have to have to display things.

A PC is not required to do a lot of the things that a PC can potentially do.

My mother doesn't have a PC but a tablet and she can do a whole lot of things that 10 years ago you had to use a laptop or desktop PC for.
To watch TV, she still needs a TV. Maybe that changes in 10 years too.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
jesus christ this thread. 30 pages in 1 night. why is everyone judging the gameplay and the story before it even releases?

They aren't. They are judging it based on resolution, primarily because Sony is spending a lot of money to convince people things like that matter when deciding if a game is good or not.

Cmon Sony, invest elsewhere. You were almost better than that, and that tactic (obviously) backfires too when the winds change.

benny_a

Your comment is weird, there's nothing "copy-pasted enthusiast press hyperbole" about his comment, I knew exactly what he was talking about, Most people should.
I completely disagree and I think "living breathing city" is the epitome of enthusiast press hyperbole.

impact

Banned
You vote with your wallet whilst other people enjoy the game.

No doubt. I have a gaming PC so it's not like I'm starved for games, and I'll pick it up when it's bargain bin price on Steam. Not supporting sub-full HD in 2014 and still get to play it at 1080p and beyond. win-win

orochi91

No doubt. I have a gaming PC so it's not like I'm starved for games, and I'll pick it up when it's bargain bin price on Steam. Not supporting sub-full HD in 2014 and still get to play it at 1080p and beyond. win-win

Yea, I plan on doing the same. Will pick up the GOTY edition sometime next year
for like 9 bucks on steam or something.

I don't agree that this is a valid comparison.

A TV is a display device. Which you have to have to display things.

A PC is not required to do a lot of the things that a PC can potentially do.

My mother doesn't have a PC but a tablet and she can do a whole lot of things that 10 years ago you had to use a laptop or desktop PC for.

That's fair enough of a statement but I never suggested that what a PC can do is exclusive to a PC. Your average consumer probably does own a tablet for email, facebook, and web browsing. One could argue that those same people own a console for gaming as well.

A properly built PC can do all of the above and watch most TV content and allow a person to make a living. That is why I personally find it more acceptable to spend the extra money on a solid PC because aside from being able to entertain in various ways I can also use it as a tool to make a living therefore justifying the cost.

This is way off topic at this point and in the interest of not derailing this thread any further I will be happy to take this conversation to PM or a more appropriate thread.

On topic: I personally was looking forward to this game after it's initial unveiling. Ubisoft has since made me decide to wait but not because of graphic fidelity or resolution. For me it's more about the delays, the multiple purchase options none of which allow someone to get all of the content that will be available, and the gameplay footage that has been shown just doesn't look as fluid and exciting as the original announcement trailer.

But, you will be playing at 1080p if you buy it on PC.

StevieP

Banned
They aren't. They are judging it based on resolution, primarily because Sony is spending a lot of money to convince people things like that matter when deciding if a game is good or not.

Cmon Sony, invest elsewhere. You were almost better than that, and that tactic (obviously) backfires too when the winds change.

Ether.

Worst part is there is certainly going to be more threads like this, with posts decrying these games unplayable.

Just a side note to some of the posters above

1) Infamous is a small-scope game in comparison - with a lot less seemingly going on, MGS isn't even in the same stratosphere
2) If you're adamant on achieving 1080p in all of your multiplatform games (the ones you're seemingly interested in, before cancelling your pre-orders in rage), you'd have already built or should be building or procuring a gaming PC. You can even plug it into your TV and have it be your 2nd or 3rd console. This will avoid the upcoming future potential rage and pre-order cancelling as well

benny_a

[...]
A properly built PC can do all of the above and watch most TV content and allow a person to make a living. That is why I personally find it more acceptable to spend the extra money on a solid PC because aside from being able to entertain in various ways I can also use it as a tool to make a living therefore justifying the cost.
Sure, I'm just saying for this specific comparison all that extra stuff is not really applicable.

Everyone assigns a different value to the different parts. We can argue about what everyone agrees on when it comes to a gaming PC which is gaming or we can all use our own individual value assignments and then we're just discussing preferences.

My gaming PC is only there to be a more powerful console that allows me to play more games and some games at noticeable better performance.
After using laptops running Linux for more than 14 years I'm however not going to switch to a tethered Windows environment full time to increase its value when I explicitly purchased it as one of my hobby distractions.

I just think it's important that everyone remembers that their personal history and usage pattern does not translate to the rest of the world. Mine is admittedly farther out from others I'm sure so maybe that's why I don't do it but it's good to keep in mind that even geographical location changes the variables a lot.

Jack cw

I cant believe the fuck up Ubisoft did with this. Infmaous looks a generation better and runs in 1080p with 30-40 fps. And what the hell at xbone 792p? So 360 runs with 720p then. Thank god Ubi Soft dehyped that thing long ago.

Codiox

Jesus christ this resolution bullshit has gone to far. I play games because i want to have some fun, and not to see some 4k leafs flying arround my virtual 4k ass in 240fps.

I saw the 101 trailer yesterday and fuck me, it looks like a lot of fun to PLAY the game!

Get away with your resolution and fps BS. 30fps is absolutly sufficient for this game.

Also i got over 150h in bf4 and guess what, its only 900p on the ps4!! But i played it for so long because it was FUN!

I will buy this game day one and will have fun, while you will still count the pixels of it.

/rageoff

Holy crap. There are times when I've thought to myself; 'I should probably start reading a book.' I don't think there would be a book more entertaining as this thread. I sincerely thank every and all posters. This means a lot to me, as I've spent the last few hours reading it...

Who's going to build the roller coaster?

Top Bottom