• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: "We won't be showing off any Nintendo games at E3 this year"

Vashetti

Banned
And you have notice that all of this is indeed on a system that is factually more capable than 360 and PS3.

"Lazy devs" excuse?

Nintendo came out with a new console with unfamiliar architecture as the generation was wrapping up, whilst everyone else was moving on to PS4/XB1 with far less complicated hardware.

You really think devs are going to invest time and money into mastering the Wii U architecture when they don't see a return on their investment?

Makes sense.

Watch_Dogs will be out and no need to talk about just because WiiU versions hasn't launched yet.

Just Dance 2015 is the only other likely Nintendo game and that doesn't really need to be part of E3 at all. At least not the presentation as its the same game each year on all consoles.

All this means is the unannounced games are likely PS4/XBO games only. Aside from AC:Comet.

Lernaean

Banned
I already know Platformers are niche. II just dont have this overwhelming faith in Ubisoft to make another exclusive Rayman on the Wii U. Future consoles? sure.

Oh, never said exclusive, i just said they won't ignore Nintendo if/when they do another Rayman.

Hopefully a new system releases in time for holiday this year or they may never recover.

I'm sure this is sarcasm, otherwise you are breaking a good chain of posts where i agreed with you.

Eiolon

If Nintendo is barely putting games on Wii U...you can't expect others to support the console.

Nintendo has had a difficult time learning the ropes of HD development, and team sizes had to be increased. The reality is, Nintendo never had a steady flow of in-house titles coming out every month, it just had more 3rd party support to fill in the gaps. Now that third party is essentially gone, and HD development taking more time, it's much more noticeable.

Laieon

Not all that shocking. Who's all that's left? I feel like they were the last major 3rd party still acknowledging that the Wii U is a thing.

They have the biggest booth.

Most people get the exact same booth space every year at E3. What's inside is what matters.

Last year Nintendo's booth was essentially just Coconut Freeze, diorama photo ops and a big line to try to win prizes. It was far emptier than it has ever been.

Sendou

"Lazy devs" excuse?

Nintendo came out with a new console with unfamiliar architecture as the generation was wrapping up, whilst everyone else was moving on to PS4/XB1 with far less complicated hardware.

You really think devs are going to invest time and money into mastering the Wii U architecture when they don't see a return on their investment?

What exactly are you responding to here?

Snakeyes

Hopefully a new system releases in time for holiday this year or they may never recover.

ibuTFrcq4HjNBQ.gif

213372bu

Banned
What would it take if their games just don't sell?

Obviously that's the main giver, let's not fool ourselves, but Nintendo still could've pulled something out of them.

Acknowledging third-parties loudly and thanking them for support.

Addressing any third-party concerns on development.

Nintendo actually saying they want to support third-parties outloud.

Actually developing tools to make the "factually more capable [than ps3/360]" system to the point where games run nice and smooth; I 100% doubt "lazy developers" are the reason why games are performing sub-par,especially when companies like Ubisoft were actually trying to support the thing... not to mention anonymous developers have been constantly saying developing for the Wii U was a nightmare.

Going out and convincing third-parties to join the platform by showcasing the true abilities of the Wii U and showing what third-parties are easily capable of.

Relying on external input to help them transition through phases that other companies have already been through, (HD.)

Y'know like every other company ever.

Most people get the exact same booth space every year at E3. What's inside is what matters.

Last year Nintendo's booth was essentially just Coconut Freeze, diorama photo ops and a big line to try to win prizes. It was far emptier than it has ever been.

Sure but we can only speculate on what we're given. To discredit them at this point in time would be an injustice.

They have many ideas with NFC that I would love them to display . Perhaps allow each E3 attendee to obtain an NFC figure for use that they can use across all the games they have up for show. That'd be cool. I'm also still betting on MK to be playable at E3.

Petrae

And so the final nail goes in.

If Ubisoft (of all 3rd parties) doesn't have anything to show on WiiU at E3, Then WiiU is finished.

Is there even any point Nintendo still supporting this dud?

If Nintendo pulls the plug now, they alienate many who spent $300+ on the WiiU. Why-- with the exception of sheer fanhood-- would you buy the next Nintendo machine, after that track record? Who's to say that the next machine will get any more support than WiiU? Or that Nintendo gets even as much support as it does now?

Nintendo has to take its lumps and ride out the disappointment for another couple of years before unveiling a successor. Even if it's only Nintendo games that wind up getting made, at least those who spent the money on the console hardware might be placated. Nintendo must work to satisfy current console owners and keep their business.

And you have notice that all of this is indeed on a system that is factually more capable than 360 and PS3.

Anyway, a sad excuse to not buy the game. Didn't avoided PS3 owners to buy Bayonetta and Skyrim or the PS4 version of Battlefield 4 despite all their technical issues.

Sendou

You realize this is Nintendo's fault, don't you?

That people don't know what E3 is?

Anyway, a sad excuse to not buy the game. Didn't avoided PS3 owners to buy Bayonetta and Skyrim or the PS4 version of Battlefield 4 despite all their technical issues.

Or maybe Wii U owners are informed customers? Nobody should have bought Battlefield 4 at launch. I don't think you should buy a bad product and you do not offer a compelling reason either.

gogoud

"Lazy devs" excuse?

They didn't even try though. Wiiu had late ports at new game prices. Nobody sane would spend 60 on me3 when a trilogy came out for 30 on other systems. It's all about $$$ and Ninty is too stubborn to moneyhat like sony and ms. The big three no longer run the industry. That's the big issue here that's always ignored.

StuBurns

Banned
Nintendo have already revealed their projections, more importantly than the Wii U having bombed is that even Nintendo doesn't believe that's going to change.

That day should have been the day every publisher pulled support.

That people don't know what E3 is?

Have you been to E3?

Some companies like Activision have HUGE FUCKING BOOTHS with jack shit playable in it.

Just huge ass TVs playing a Call of Duty trailer on loop. That's it. And private conference rooms.

Really, all Activision usually ever has is giant TVs showing COD footage and a line to try to win free Skylanders.

Lernaean

Banned
You realize this is Nintendo's fault, don't you?

Ofc it is, they only announced exactly what they were going to do weeks ago. They should send Nintendo representatives to go door to door and inform consumers constantly for one year so people would know what they're going to do at E3.

Sendou

Have you been to E3?

Some companies like Activision have HUGE FUCKING BOOTHS with jack shit playable in it.

Just huge ass TVs playing a Call of Duty trailer on loop. That's it. And private conference rooms.

Really, all Activision usually ever has is giant TVs showing COD footage and a line to try to win free Skylanders.

I'm really starting to lose the plot here. What's the connection to what I said? If you don't know Nintendo is going to E3 then I'm going to guess you do not know what E3 is or how do the press conferences by the 5-6 publishers relate to that.

Ofc it is, they only announced exactly what they were going to do weeks ago. They should send Nintendo representatives to go door to door and inform consumers constantly for one year so people would know what they're going to do at E3.

Wouldn´t help. Some people would still understand the quite opposite and then make a thread about it. ^^

El Sabroso

I think Nintendo is who will show their 3rd party line up, so makes sense even with Watch Dogs Wii U version still in development not being shown by Ubisoft, aside from a little video that I expect to confirm this game at least

213372bu

Banned

Bad public perception from Nintendo is only for Nintendo themselves to blame. They don't put themselves out with good PR, and the Wii U itself isn't doing their image justice.

As far as what they announced... it's almost like people expect everyone to watch Nintendo directs or something.

No but of course, I'm a fanboy who thinks Nintendo is being ignored because people don't watch NDs. But, for god's sake, I had to tell my friends what the hell Morpheous/OR/ Smartglass was. It is the same for every company,

Sony and MS get their message across better because they do constantly go door to door with advertisements, with things called advertisements that play through their televisions, computers,newspapers, and inserts from the stores they visit.

Lernaean

Banned
You know its sarcasm from me. I mean whats stopping people from going all the way?

I know, i'm sorry i ever doubted you :)

Bad public perception from Nintendo is only for Nintendo themselves to blame.

I said i agree in my previous post. If people are being told weeks ago in plain English what Nintendo will do at E3 and people don't get it, it's because Nintendo is to blame.
It makes perfect sense.

Exile20

Shame.

Another thing that keeps amazing me is the amount of "if you got a Nintendo system for third party games, that's pretty silly" posts. Unless you're willing to fork over enough cash for two systems, I would like if more third parties released their games on Nintendo systems. I prefer Nintendo systems myself over the other two, but hey apparently others say it's foolish to want more choice. Sigh. So many weird stances on Nintendo consoles these days.

I have to admit though, the last couple of years third party releases become increasingly uninteresting to me on the big systems. Most fun I had with third party games for the last couple of years were ZombiU and Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
I agree cometely. I loved zombiu. Ubisoft just gave us zombiu 2 then you abandon the wiiu if you want.

Snakeyes

Obviously that's the main giver, let's not fool ourselves, but Nintendo still could've pulled something out of them.

Acknowledging third-parties loudly and thanking them for support.
Wouldn't change shit if the games don't sell.

Nintendo actually saying they want to support third-parties outloud.
Actions speak louder than words.

Addressing any third-party concerns on development.

Actually developing tools to make the "factually more capable [than ps3/360]" system to the point where games run nice and smooth; I 100% doubt "lazy developers" are the reason why games are performing sub-par,especially when companies like Ubisoft were actually trying to support the thing... not to mention anonymous developers have been constantly saying developing for the Wii U was a nightmare.

Going out and convincing third-parties to join the platform by showcasing the true abilities of the Wii U and showing what third-parties are easily capable of.

Relying on external input to help them transition through phases that other companies have already been through, (HD.)

Sure, I agree with most of the above. Problem is, these initiatives only make a major difference when taken well before a platform is even released. The courting should have started when Wii U was still in development. I think it would be wise for Nintendo to do exactly that with their upcoming Nintendo OS/shared platform, but it wouldn't do much in the Wii U's case.

Amir0x

Banned
*sigh*

I like the Wii U, but I honestly hope Nintendo moves on from it quickly now. It's clearly a huge albatross hanging around their neck. Success for the system is never going to happen.

StuBurns

Banned
This upcoming 'shared' architecture isn't going to make any difference.

A game targeted at PS4/XBO won't run on the 4DS, so they'd just be moving it to whatever Nintendo choose for the console, and if it's two years away, Sony and MS will have such a colossal head start, it'll be irrelevant for this generation, and it'll be too weak to be baseline for the next generation.

Nintendo are in an unfortunate position, they need to make a platform completely viable all by themselves to get third parties on board, and they need to be in lock step with the other consoles to make the developers even target their system.

Some would argue it's 'unfair', and point out Sony and MS couldn't make their platforms viable on their own, but fairness doesn't come into it, this is the situation Nintendo have found themselves in, not the other two.

Personally, I'm still a believer in the truly hybrid platform concept. Nintendo can certainly support essentially a single platform on their own, and if it's cheap, they can target it to the casual crowd, and the core's secondary platform.

Still I wonder how exactly it is "a sad excuse to not buy the game". Seems pretty damn good reason to me. I know that's why I have been avoiding buying some games on Wii U I might as well would have.

Exactly, to you, not the whole market mentality. By the way, technical issues can be fixed later by patches, so this "this is garbage!!! boycott it!!!" of yours is quite over the top.

You claim bad reviews as reason for not buying Ghosts and AC4, didn't prevented Wii U owners to buy Wii Party U, which got mediocre at best reviews, with a Metacritic score of 6.5., and sold 1.35 million so far, thus makes your claim of Wii U owners being "informed" being dubious.

213372bu

Banned
Wouldn't change shit if the games don't sell.
Very true. But it would at least make developers feel like their [extra] workings on the Wii U haven't gone without notice. I personally think that's important for future consoles, I agree, however, that it won't affect their immediate situation, which needs to be fixed.

Actions speak louder than words.
Silence speaks louder than words.

In all the wrong ways.

But thats you, how many Wii U onwers actually own other consoles? Besides, there's a lot of people like me that use their consoles as primary gaming device, so games being multiplat is irrelevant.

Can only go anecdotal, but I have come across very, very few people who claim to be Nintendo only gamers. No one in real life, and less than five online. All Nintendo gamers I know personally, all Wii U owners I know personally, either have gaming PCs or buy at least one other console.

I don't think there is any evidence to support that most Wii U owners are Wii U exclusive owners. Likewise, there is really no data to support the idea that people who buy Wii U aren't interested in third party games. There is only data to support that they aren't buying many third party games for Wii U. And for good reason, I think.

If all of the people who criticize the Wii U audience for not buying third party games owned a Wii U, I doubt many of them would be buying their third party games there. People dismiss the myriad complaints that people bring up about most of the currently existing third party "efforts", but they are all perfectly valid reasons not to purchase those games on Wii U if you have any other consoles or a PC.

It's 'unfamiliar architecture' because third parties half-assed their efforts on the sales leading console last gen.

The Dream is Dead 2:Electric Boogaloo

In all seriousness, although the third party is lacking, I'm confident that Nintendo's third party can push the consoles lifespan for the next 3 years.

Top Bottom