• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's shares plunge 22%

codhand

i cant find an exchange listing it at "$2.27", it's down 25%ish for sure, but not sure this is traded on a us market and not just a ticker that follows the ubisoft chart trend ie "Grey Market"

SeljukRuek

Neo Member
Skmyyy5.jpg

why dogee

Patryn

This sounds terrible, but I really wonder how many people lost their jobs over the Watch_Dogs delay. I'm guess this past weekend was not a happy one for a great number of people.

I'm still astounded that some people think it was a strategic move and the game was ready. Ubi burned a LOT of good will with Sony, Microsoft and especially retailers by doing it.

Conor 419

Banned
I don't believe there's any real reason to believe Ubisoft are in trouble due to this, (what I percieve as intelligent) delay.

AHA-Lambda

lol

or not so lol.

Ubi is in for a wild ride if AC4 sells less units than 3.

This gen Ubi has cimented itself as the house of Ass and it's time for a spanking.

Even Ubi expects it to sell less than 3.

I don't believe there's any real reason to believe Ubisoft are in trouble due to this, (what I percieve as intelligent) delay.

How is this intelligent? After all the co marketing that has been spent on Watch Dogs with PS4, you better bet that Sony is (quite rightly) pissed off.

I'm disappointed by the delay too, but... holy shit Ubisoft have a stellar lineup coming out next year: Watch Dogs, The Division, Child of Light, probably Far Cry 4... that's one hell of a lineup :O

Shinta

Banned
I think the reason people are a little upset is because Watch Dogs is literally supposed to be an annualized mega-series that they expect to sell Assassin's Creed numbers for the next 10 years.

It's very, very possible that is simply not going to happen.

Tizoc

So delaying it 7 months and releasing side by side with GTAV didn't help?

Wonder how its sales would've been like if it were released on WiiU first, then got ported to other systems months later?

...but rest assured their UbiArt games will save them!

Nibel

Never thought that the delay of a new and unproven IP could have such an impact on their shares, I mean they still have Assassin's Creed and other money-printing stuff

I'm still not sure why they didn't move AC4, especially since they clearly want to slide Watch_Dogs into that new franchise slot. It would've hurt, but much less.

Midas

Maybe one should wait a few days and see how the market reacts if US won't make their deadline tomorrow.

Conor 419

Banned
How is this intelligent? After all the co marketing that has been spent on Watch Dogs with PS4, you better bet that Sony is (quite rightly) pissed off.

Because if the game needed delaying, they are making a significantly better decision in terms of its long term success by delaying it. From what I have witnessed, only the best gaming studios have the balls to delay their titles.

Let's see, we have Watch Dogs, The Crew, Assassin's Creed 2014, The Division, and possibly Far Cry 4? Yea, expect Division delay.

Awesome lineup, though. Hopefully because of the large number of franchises they have, they can maybe extended yearly franchises to 18 month to 2 year franchises. 5 big franchises is a lot to keep up yearly.

AHA-Lambda

Something tells me The Division won't make 2014 now.

A Ubisoft Tom Clancy game getting a massive delay and then resurfacing nothing like the original vision? ;)

Because if the game needed delaying, they are making a significantly better decision in terms of its long term success by delaying it. From what I have witnessed, only the best gaming studios have the balls to delay their titles.

Given the huge amount of money already spent marketing this game, as one of the premier games of this fall, and aligning themselves very squarely with Sony as a co marketed PS4 game, this must have been delayed because it badly needed it, nothing with balls or fiscal quarter targets, no other reason.

Meier

So, how exactly unusual this is? Do stocks usually fluctuate that much?

When you slash your revenue estimates by as much as they did, then it's not entirely uncommon. The price is still not as low as it was at the beginning of the year -- it had ramped up in anticipation of a big year.

They should have announced the delay more than a month before the game was supposed to launch considering how much Sony, Microsoft, and retailers were promoting it. It makes them look either incompetent (they didn't know their game needed another six months until right before it was supposed to go gold?) or deceitful.

Conor 419

Banned
They should have announced the delay more than a month before the game is supposed to launch considering how much Sony, Microsoft, and retailers were promoting it.

Probably, but it's reasonable to assume they didn't have the information which led to the delay one month ago.

They have AC4 this xmas, having two huge Ubisoft titles so close is probably unnecessary, it's not like Watch Dogs is going to be unsuccessful without meeting launch.

Top Bottom