• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's shares plunge 22%

I agree with that, AC3 seems to have hurt the franchise.

Either that or Ubisoft is just terrible at promoting their games. Does anyone remember how much hype there was for Brotherhood? Or lack of it? In the end it turned out to be the best game in the franchise, but then again not the one with most sales either.

Durante

I was about to make a thread 2 weeks or so ago how, out of the large publishers, Ubisoft is by far the least distasteful to me, and the most open to exploring new ideas at different budgets.

So of course this had to happen.

balohna

What's weird about Watch Dogs is I know a dude that worked on it and he took his "MY WORK HERE IS DONE" holiday over a month ago.

BPoole

With Rayman and Splinter Cell bombing, Ubisoft continuing to support the Wii U, and Watch Dogs being delayed, this doesn't come as much surprise

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I was about to make a thread 2 weeks or so ago how, out of the large publishers, Ubisoft is by far the least distasteful to me, and the most open to exploring new ideas at different budgets.

So of course this had to happen.

And the only one not to do mass layoffs given a situation like this.
It's crazy how people still hate them yet how different they still kind of are to most Western publishers.

HoodWinked

needed to happen AC3 was rushed and that did not turn out well.

watchdogs is the type of game that i could see having lots of fail states so they will need that time to refine the checkpointing so hopefully those reviewers dont get too frustrated.

Marjar

Banned
Skmyyy5.jpg

wow

I really don't think people should rush out to buy stock just because it went down a lot. You should watch the stock a bit more and see what else Ubisoft has planned before just buying because it's low compared to before.

What they have planned for the future is taken into account when a drop like this happens, it's not simply low because things are bad now and will go up when they proceed with their plans. That's not really how things work.

The amount they cut their full-year sales forecast by was massive, things could get even worse and if you buy now the bet you're making is far less safe than some think assuming that it's bound to go back up. It's down because investors for good reason are not positive about the future.

Radec

BUY BUY BUY!

Was exactly my thought....Rayman should have just come out when it was supposed too, but they got greedy and it bit them in the ass. Ancel needs to jump ship ASAP.

Like it would sell much better than it is now if it was released months ago on a console that is selling way way below expectations.

jeez.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
No way I'm buying shares of a company that uses 1000 people to make a game. I mean, if I buy, I would sell those shares in the short term, because if they continue this way, the company is going bankrupt; that's obvious.

Rayman should've came out last year lol and did we need another Splinter Cell.

This post should have come out last week lol and did we need another post like it.

Rayman is a fantastic game. I bought both the Vita and PC versions and the fact that this game didn't sell to expectations is depressing news. And, seriously, the thing people are saying that had it come out on Wii U on time it would have sold better is just so completely ludicrous it defies description.

Splinter Cell was also a damned good game. Had it come out a few years ago no question it would have been a multi-million unit seller. The reasons why it isn't selling now are surely many, but fundamentally something is wonky in the market.

They'll get a nice boost from Stick of Truth. That game is going to be a sleeper hit.

Releasing a title in December is sending it out to die. There are either legal agreements which would force a release during the year (regardless of the state it's in) or additional investment in time and money isn't seen as being worth it. But no publisher puts a game out in December thinking it will be a hit. Missing the Black Friday shopping period in the US for a game like this is a dagger to its sales potential.

Huh. So investors see this as that big a deal? Surprising.
It's a huge deal. All their forecasts assumed (safely, I believe) ubi's flagship title would be released this holiday. So millions in revenue are gone this quarter.

It also brings up other questions:

What does this mean about the quality of the game?

What does this say about the management?

In theory the product should be better, but how will sales be now that they can non longer take advantage of the next gen hype and holiday season?

Ubisoft's Fiscal Year begins April 1st, 2013 and ends March 31st, 2014.

1) Before, with a major revenue source like Watch_Dogs:

Ubisoft's targeted sales goal was €1,420 million - €1,450 million
Ubisoft's targeted non-IFRS operating income goal was €110 million and €125 million

2) Now, without the major revenue source:

Ubisoft's targeted sales goal is €995 million - €1,045 million
Ubisoft's targeted non-IFRS operating LOSS goal is €(70) million and €(40) million

3) Ubisoft has admitted that Splinter Cell (a major IP stable) has underperformed, creating doubt into the stability of other Ubisoft IPs

4) Ubisoft has jeopardized their bundle deal with Sony by delaying Watch_Dogs, putting a future source of potential profits into question

It really is the perfect storm of Ubisoft screwups at the moment. No wonder shares are down so much.

if Assassins Creed doesn't sell as projected it will be icing on the cake.

Cosmozone

I'm interested but not interested enough. I guess it'll even go down a little more tomorrow. The curve is pretty flat, lol. Poor Rayman, delaying the thing didn't help, eh?

Top Bottom