• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Udemy courses on sale for $15

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Udemy if you're unfamiliar with it offers online courses in a wide variety of subjects available in an online format for purchase. For the next 48 hours their courses (the ones not already free) are discounted down to $15. If you have any interest in anything really, you owe it to yourself to at least take a look at what they have to offer.

Most asked question: Is there a set limit on my access to the course? The answer is no. Once you buy you have lifetime access to the course. Many courses are even updated to keep them current.

Codes for $5 off: ARH1C202,UDEMARCH,CHANGEIT

My haul so far(might sneak some more in later):
Unity: From Master To Pro By Building 6 Games
Build Weapons Automatically Unity . Fantasy Edition
C# Advanced Topics: Take Your C# Skills to the Next Level
Game Devs Unleash Artificial Intelligence: Flocking Agents
Harness the Power of Play: The 5 steps of Game Design
Pass the Unity Certified Developer Exam - Lifetime Access
The Complete SQL Bootcamp
The Unreal Engine Developer Course - Learn C++ & Make...
The Web Developer Bootcamp
Unity In App Purchase Complete Course
Unity Networking From Scratch
Unreal Engine 4: The Complete Beginner's Course
Learn Advanced Game Mechanics in Unity for Game Develo...
Mobile Game Development with Unity 3D

I'm on the lookout for courses pertaining to game design theory. If anyone finds good information on the subject be it Udemy or otherwise, please let me know.

Update 5/17 Looks like the sale is on again with everything $10 without any codes.

Update 6/23/17 It seems if if the sale is on again. $15 for courses, will update here if sale codes become known.

Slo

Thanks for the heads up. Love Udemy, I regularly go back to my classes catalog when I need a refresher on how to do something.

Great resource.

Is that featured web development course recommended or can anyone recommend other intro-level courses they've done for learning dev/various coding languages?

Can anybody recommend a coding course from them? I signed up for edX to learn how to code, but I'd pay for one of these courses if any of them are good.

kswiston

Are the courses go at your own pace, or are they typically like online courses from regular university programs?

Can anybody recommend a coding course from them? I signed up for edX to learn how to code, but I'd pay for one of these courses if any of them are good.

I recommend Jose Portilla's Python courses if you're interested in Data Science/Data Analysis.

He also has courses in R and SQL but I haven't checked them out.

Slo

Depends what you want to learn.

Java/Android (FANTASTIC but very long) - https://www.udemy.com/mobile-app-development-with-android-2015/learn/v4/overview

Ruby on Rails - https://www.udemy.com/pro-rubyonrails/learn/v4/overview

Javascript/NodeJS (I was satisfied, but it seems like there might be better ones out there) - https://www.udemy.com/learn-nodejs-by-building-10-projects/learn/v4/overview

Edit: Sorry I didn't realize that you were totally new to programming. In that case I'd start with a language like Python, or do the NodeJS course that I listed.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Anything worth recommending here for a guy in his 40s with no programming experience that wants to learn to program?

Well I feel stupid for doing this, but a few years back I completed intro to computer science @ udacity.com and I feel it gave me a really great foundation to build from. The great thing about the course I'm recommending is that it's actually free.

Krakn3Dfx

Well I feel stupid for doing this, but a few years back I completed intro to computer science @ udacity.com and I feel it gave me a really great foundation to build from. The great thing about the course I'm recommending is that it's actually free.

Nice, thanks, I will check it out.

If I buy a class now does it expire after a certain time? I ask because I have interest in a few things but wouldn't be able to dive into anything new for maybe a month or so.

If I buy a class now does it expire after a certain time? I ask because I have interest in a few things but wouldn't be able to dive into anything new for maybe a month or so.

Nope, you can buy them now and you have them forever.

I usually stock up on Udemy courses during these sales and won't start a course for ~6mos sometimes

I like Udemy more than EdX because it's learn at your own pace, and most of the instructors are all really attentive too, even though they're not university professors and you're not getting "office time" with them like you could at an EdX or another Mooq course, most of Udemy's course leaders are very attentive to their forums, twitter, git, etc.

Thanks a bunch, OP.

I signed up for:
Cisco CCNA & NEW CCENT / ICND1 (100-105) Labs & More!
R Programming A-Z
The Complete Java Developer Course
The Professional Ruby on Rails Developer
The Web Developer Bootcamp

That should keep me busy for a while.

bman94

Never even heard of this website. As a first year middle school band teacher, this is a god send. I'm about to spend so much money on these lessons.

roytheone

So if I have 0 experience with coding/programming, want to use some courses to get a nice base knowledge of it and has about 30 bucks to spend on courses (which I guess with the coupons mean I can buy 3 of them), which 3 (plus possibly free courses) would be the best to pick?

Are there any recommended courses for japanese here?>

Udemy focuses on tech classes (web design, UI, programming, Unity, etc.) For Japanese I recommend Memrise for Hiragana and Katakana, and then after you've got those down jump into Wanikani for kanji. Hiragana/Katakana should take about a week, and then the first month of Wanikani is pretty slow going and then picks up once you've got firm footing.

beanman25

Udemy focuses on tech classes (web design, UI, programming, Unity, etc.) For Japanese I recommend Memrise for Hiragana and Katakana, and then after you've got those down jump into Wanikani for kanji. Hiragana/Katakana should take about a week, and then the first month of Wanikani is pretty slow going and then picks up once you've got firm footing.

ohhhh, okay. that makes sense.

I'll pick up a few in that case.

Thanks for the tips for japanese too!

PSYGN

What's a good AngularJS ~1.6 with todays standard practices course? I see a lot of AngularJS 2 and early AngularJS 1 videos and the comments often say that the AngularJS 1 courses are out of date as far as version and how things are generally done.

Contemplating grabbing an MBA course...just not sure if anyone would take anything like this seriously if I put it on my resume that I completed one. Probably not...?

Gonna get a Python and maybe an R course. Trying to get them data science dollars.

I had started a course in R through another website (EdX maybe? I don't remember for certain), and while I dropped it after a few weeks since I was enrolled in a Master's program at the time as well, the language seemed immensely useful, and I'm looking forward to get back into it.

Contemplating grabbing an MBA course...just not sure if anyone would take anything like this seriously if I put it on my resume that I completed one. Probably not...?

I feel like courses like this are more for personal knowledge / so you can say you know how to do X, Y, and Z (for instance, to take the CCNA certification or to say you know Javascript or something), rather than saying "I took (course) at (website)"

Slo

Yeah, I'm not sure this is a good way to pad your resume other than being able to add skills. I doubt "MBA Fundamentals for Beginners" is going to be a great line item on a resume, but it will let you get started learning MBA-speak.

bachikarn

I've tried a bunch of free online courses. I generally am good for a week or two, but never finish. I wonder if I actually paid for them, I'd be more motivated to take it seriously.

danthefan

I want to make it my career and I've been learning some fundamentals in the past month. Wish me luck!

I did a college course in it but I've transitioned from mechanical engineering to data science, I'm only two years in but yeah it's a great area to work in and I've probably not gotten back to a comparable place career wise as I was in engineering yet, but I'm very happy with my career trajectory. All my technical skills are basically self taught so it can definitely be done. Good luck!

i-Lo

So, is there an expiry for up to when the videos can be viewed (given the massive discount) or can I just peruse them in my time some time in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom