• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Udemy courses on sale for $15

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatNXt

Udemy are like DFS in the UK (furniture store) - their sales are seemingly eternal.

I'm not complaining!

I've bought:

Game Dev and 3D Modelling

Android Development

Programming

Other:

Of these, the only ones I have truly started are Mosh's programming courses and the Blender 3D course.

I already program in C#, I bought these courses mainly to shore up some gaps and to share with my brother, who is learning the same game - but I really like Mosh's style. He's very good at explaining concepts that I learned in otherwise more difficultly explained ways via books, and other online tutorials. He's very popular too, I don't know what kind of cut Udemy take off him, but I have to imagine he's doing quite well out of this. I hope so anyway.

The Blender 3D course is excellent. Great community integration on gamedev.tv - and again, just really clear, communicative teaching. I did a single module at University on modelling back in 2002 or so, and at the time we were using Maya and 3DS max. It just shows what a difference quality instructors makes, because I thought I was hopeless - and was just missing some part of the brain that would allow me to do 3D modelling. To be fair to my lecturers, it wasn't the core component of my actual degree, so they couldn't allow too much time for it, but I came away - as someone who loves the idea of being able to do it - just absolutely deflated. I felt like I had to be more of an artist, that I just couldn't "sculpt" anything using those tools. Going back and learning in Blender, I understand the underlying nature of it all a lot more, and I've already achieved things thanks to the course that I never would have imagined back then. It's a really fun piece of software to play around in, and I like that the course encourages you to dive in to Unity with your models - explaining pitfalls of that along the way. They've got a facebook group that's quite active too. People of all abilities sharing their work.

WhatNXt

Oh and a brief early review / note on the Android N course:

I find it a bit frustrating, but it's good too. If you program in any Java/C# like language, the early chapters are essentially teaching you what you already know. That said, you kind of have to go through some of them if you know nothing about native Android development too.

I've tinkered with Xamarin mobile projects as part of my job, I've done a few tutorials on apps generated with Nativescript and other things like that, but native, specifically targetted development seemed like something I should try.

I didn't really know how the resource / package layout worked, or how Gradle builds worked -- I could have figured out how to do a lot of things in Android Studio myself no doubt, but I've grown to like the course a bit more by turning up the playback speed and skipping to the parts that are more relevant to me. For an absolute beginner - someone who doesn't know any Java, and has never developed an app before, I think it would be quite worthwhile. The course has you making Instagram and flappy bird clones among other things. Obviously Android O is on the way, and the language options extend beyond Java now, especially with things like Kotlin supported, but I still think this would give you a solid foundation and probably get you interested in other courses along the way. Its literally hundreds of hours of content.

As an aside to anyone in the UK... I subscribe to web designer magazine in the UK - and like 3D Artist Magazine and Games TM - they have free online content for subscribers. Free monthly fonts, photoshop assets etc. It's actually really good added value. I got in on a 5 issues for £5 deal that they seasonally run, so it's worth watching out for offers like that too. If you buy individual issues you can unlock the online content at

www.filesilo.co.uk

Cptkrush

Just wanted to stop by and make a rec based on my previous sale purchases earlier this year.

If you're a front end web developer or a back end interested in dipping into some front end stuff, and you've got HTML/CSS and vanilla JS down, but are thinking of adding a framework into the mix, I think React is as good a place to start as any. I did a ton of research to decide between Angular and React, and most signs point to React being THE framework for now; although I hear that Vue is picking up some major steam.

I am currently working through Stephen Grider's Modern React and Redux

I've done a ton of stuff to try learning React, but this course is the first thing that has stuck so far. So I highly recommend it. I just got to the Redux bit, and it seems a little rushed so far, but the React basics were really really good, and he does a great job of explaining the concepts presented. From what I can tell, Redux is a lot more complex to explain just from a conceptual level compared to React, so hopefully the content comes together as I move through it.

Kieli

So any non-CS people have any success landing a job after taking these courses?

If you are serious about finding a CS job without accquiring a CS degree, Udemy course are nowhere close to being enough.

You're going to have to dedicate some time to work through the full Stanford-Lagunita and Coursera courses on computer architecture, data structures & algorithms, object-oriented programming, computer networks, and databases at a bare minimum.

The Udemy courses are more to help you acquire tangible skills in web development and app development (at an introductory level). They are often targeted to individuals who do not come from a coding background.

If you are serious about finding a CS job without accquiring a CS degree, Udemy course are nowhere close to being enough.

You're going to have to dedicate some time to work through the full Stanford-Lagunita and Coursera courses on computer architecture, data structures & algorithms, object-oriented programming, computer networks, and databases at a bare minimum.

The Udemy courses are more to help you acquire tangible skills in web development and app development (at an introductory level). They are often targeted to individuals who do not come from a coding background.

Sorry, I meant junior developer type of job or something similar. Im just curious as I seen a lot people in this thread posting that they are purchasing the web development bootcamp course hoping to land a gig in the field. I just wanted to see if there were any updates from those that bought the course a few months ago. Im more interested to see how things are going for them.

The fucking Udemy app just stole 10 dollars from me. Tried to buy a 9.99 course through in-app purchase, app said there was an error. Money gets taken out of my iTunes account but I don't get the course. 0/10 would not recommend.

The fucking Udemy app just stole 10 dollars from me. Tried to buy a 9.99 course through in-app purchase, app said there was an error. Money gets taken out of my iTunes account but I don't get the course. 0/10 would not recommend.

You can easily get a refund. Udemy is great with refunds. Just email them.

SOLDIER

So I'm strongly considering working toward a career as a Delivery Consultant. It was suggested that in order to work my way up to that position, I should start applying for Tier 1/Tier 2 Help Desk positions.

Are there any Udemy courses I should look into that will help me towards this? Or are the free materials found online good enough?

mephesta

I read through the last few pages and the OP, but is there a general consensus on the preferred android development course?

If anyone is interested, I am working through the VueJS 2 - The Complete Guide, and it is a really well done course. The instructor's explanations are really clear and I feel like I have learned a lot about how VueJS works and interacts with other pieces of code.

vypek

I read through the last few pages and the OP, but is there a general consensus on the preferred android development course?

If anyone is interested, I am working through the VueJS 2 - The Complete Guide, and it is a really well done course. The instructor's explanations are really clear and I feel like I have learned a lot about how VueJS works and interacts with other pieces of code.

From the people I have known to take android development on Udemy, it seems the Tim Buchalka courses are very well received. Seems he is a good teacher and also updates courses very well.

I was actually looking around Udemy randomly yesterday and noticed that his Android Nougat course will get a free update for Android O

alternade

Bit the bullet and bought these

C# Basics for Beginners: Learn C# Fundamentals by Coding
An Entire MBA in 1 Course:Award Winning Business School Prof
The Complete Financial Analyst Course 2017

Minamu

Bought two new courses :lol Unity Rpg course and 2d art in gimp, both by ben tristem :) Hope they're good, autumn is gonna be intense!

Link1110

Picked up music theory part 4,5 and 6 from Jason Allen. I'm doing a coursera algorithms course now so that's enough for the time being

Firehead

Heads up, another sale going on, only six hours left, and it's $10 this time. It says "New Student Discount", but it applies for everyone.

Calabi

Only 5 hours left if I'd have known about this sooner.

Are there any good 3D art Texturing, or 2D digital art courses?

Furyous

Email them once a month and ask them if they have any specials for $10. The answer is usually yes. Place the items in your cart then email the rep requesting to purchase the course at $10. Hope this helps and for the record I've never spent $15 on a course.

darklin0

Banned
I get a different version of the offer that lasts for another day and four hours. Everything is at $19.

Is there a code or am I missing something obvious?

Grug

Geez they have sales a lot don't they.

You'd have to be pretty silly to pay full price for a course ever.

MUnited83

For you.
Bumping this since I just stumbled upon this. Not Udemy related, but I'm not sure if it's worth making a thread about it.

Groupees has a bunch of courses in bundles https://groupees.com/

There are bundles for courses for JS, Game Dev, Python, IOS+Mac, Ciber Security, Dev, Designer and Coding. The game dev bundle has 44 courses for less than 20$ total.

Tizoc

Pardon the bump but what ate some good comptia courses on udemy or courses on it help desk in general?
Edit- such as network administration etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom