• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UDK Thread: Unreal Development Kit

Mik2121

FCH0K.png

Welcome to the official UDK thread. If you are even slightly interested in playing around, developing for, or just placing your 3D art inside this engine, you've come to
the correct place.

- News and Updates -

July 11, 2013 // Epic Games releases July 2013 Unreal Development Kit Beta

fdJxs.png

TLQ3V.png

bVTTo.png

6Qxyj.png

3vK5X.png

July 2013 UDK Beta (1.9 GB .exe)
MD5 e4aec403af535707c08c07e6d0b61b00

k8ldl.png

Minimum:

Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
2.0+ GHz processor
2 GB system RAM
SM3-compatible video card
3 GB Free hard drive space

Recommended for Content Development:

Windows 7 64-bit
2.0+ GHz multi-core processor
8 GB System RAM
NVIDIA 8000 series or higher graphics card
Plenty of HDD space

Minimum for DX11 Development:

Windows Vista
2.0+ GHz processor
2 GB system RAM
DX11 Graphics Card:
Nvidia: 400 series or above
ATI: 5000 series or above
3 GB Free hard drive space

l2KPA.png

Powered by award-winning Unreal Engine 3 technology, UDK’s feature set is packed with power and ease of use.
These are just a few of the top-level features used by many of the world’s best game developers to create outstanding games.

Complete Editing Environment
Unreal Engine 3 offers a fully integrated editing environment through the renowned Unreal Editor. All of the engine’s key tools are accessible through UnrealEd. The
new Unreal Content Browser makes managing assets like meshes, materials, sounds, and animations easier than ever. [Read More]

Pure Rendering Power
UDK’s multi-threaded rendering system, Gemini, gives you a 64-bit HDR rendering pipeline. The raw power behind UDK’s rendering system will push your creations
to new levels. Your work has never seemed as alive as it is with UDK. [Read More]

Powerful Scripting
UnrealScript is a simple, high-level programming language that gives complete scripting control. Scripts can be connected via Unreal Kismet, an intuitive visual editor
that requires no programming knowledge. UnrealScript lets you build prototypes and add new gameplay elements quickly and easily. [Read More]

Real-time Shaders
Experience a powerful visual interface comparable to the non-real time functionality of XSI and Maya, enabling artists to create complex real-time shaders on the fly.
[Read More]

And many more. You can read the full list of features here.

HccNn.png

The UDK can feel a bit overwhelming at first, with the big amount of features and a user interface that you are not used to at first. Here's a list of documentation and
tutorials to learn from the basics (learning the UI, creating a basic stage setup) to more deep stuff (setting up complex shaders, setting up cascade animations, etc..).

All the help you might need is available in text form on the UDK Home (first link below, UDN site). But there are many other websites that have created video-tutorials
to help you out further. Either way, if there's something you don't know and you can't find it on the UDN site, go ahead and ask anything here, we will try to help you!.

Getting Started
- UDN Unreal Development Kit Home
- UDK FAQ
- UDK Gems
- Art Content Creation (how to import models, textures, etc.. and how to set them up)
- 3D Buzz Video Tutorials (MUST WATCH!)
- - User Interface
- - Simple Level
- - Lighting
- - Geometry Mode
- - Kismet
- - Materials
- - Terrain
- - Fractured Static Meshes
- - Sounds
- - Particles
- - Fluid Surfaces
- - Physics
- - Cinematics
- - All the video assets.

More Tutorials and Help
- Lots of tutorials that go from the basics to more technical stuff. (Hourences)
- 3DBuzz Video Tutorials
- UDK Forums

EZ57k.png

Use of the UDK for noncommercial purposes is free of charge. If you are going to use the UDK for any commercial purpose or in any way that is not specifically authorized
in the end-user license agreement (EULA), you must agree to appropriate commercial terms. You can read more about these options below.
Read More on Licensing.

Mik2121

anZ0Z.png

Here you can check what's new on the latest version of the UDK.

- NOVEMBER 2011 UPDATE -

- Vastly improved rendering integration with multithreaded renderer
- Added Action Script 3 support. Action Script 2 is still supported.
- Includes CLIK 3.0 (Lightweight Interface Kit)
- Major improvements to the AMP profiler
- Updated UDN documentation

Nov2011-Landscape_SlopeFlattenTool.png

- Landscape flatten tool tool is enhanced with a flatten to slope option
- New Clay Brush makes sculpting of landscape vertex data much quicker and easier

Nov2011-Foliage_lockScale.png

Foliage scale axis locking allows for variable Z scale but uniform XY scale, plus z-offset settings

And many more on the UDK update site.

Blizzard

Banned
Excellent work! You might also want to link the GDC 2010 demo. The map comes with the UDK, though it's basically a flythrough with really low framerate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZU0EsT4kH0 (music added, I think)

I probably don't have any good screenshots now, but I may try to throw some pictures in from what I am working on. I'm currently messing with a simple test/maze room with the goal of getting a simple AI system up and running, hunting/attacking the player.

Mik2121

I will add it later. I gotta take a small break.

I'll be importing some prop I worked on two days ago, see if I can get it set up in UDK nicely...

Luigi87

Very nice OP, and subscribed.

I really must start learning more about importing into the UDK beyond static meshes and basic materials. Seems like an asset to know.

Mik2121

maniac-kun said:
Can you import stuff from the Maya and 3DS Max student versions to UDK?

http://students.autodesk.com/

You just have to register and then you can download the students version (cant be used for comercial projects) of Maya or 3DS Max for free.
Yeah you can.

You just need to export the objects as *.fbx or *.ase and import them inside UDK.

Blizzard

Banned
I really only have one screenshot to post right now. I took a sketch a friend made of a little projector base, one that would go underneath a hovering screen. I then followed a tutorial(s) and the Blender IRC channel to teach myself basic modeling and texturing in Blender (free open-source 3D modeling tool) and GIMP (free open-source image editor), and imported the model into the UDK. I believe I used a slightly modified Blender export script that helps do smoothing groups properly.

Ingame, I think I had it set up so that the little dots on the silly projector spin slowly in a circle around the base. The screen follows the player around, and I have various configurable options for how the orientation looks, since I was testing which would look best. With one setting, for instance, the screen rotates horizontally and vertically to face the player. With another one, the screen only rotates around the vertical axis, but does not rotate up or down. Pressing an activate/use button on the projector changes the display mode.

The transparent hovering panel itself is a simple animated Flash movie made in ActionScript (2.0) with FlashDevelop, a free open-source ActionScript editor. There is still no good free/open-source utility to actually graphically edit Flash movies that I know of, but at least with ActionScript I can do some simple animated stuff for HUDs and display panels. The UDK and Epic really seem to emphasize Scaleform now, which is basically a UI system that uses Flash movies for stuff, as far as I understand. The Scaleform community guy on the Epic forums seems to be pretty nice and trying to be helpful with links and examples, however. Free or inexpensive Flash tools apparently can't use the most advanced controls, but some relatively simple interoperability for HUD and panels seems to potentially work.

All that said, here's the silly screenshot! There is also a barrel in the picture that I made from a Blender tutorial. The texturing on the bands is really bad though. :p

udktest_9aetb.png

The M.O.B

I have been meaning to get more into UDK for awhile now. Last time I used anything Unreal related was the UnrealEd for Unreal Tournament 2004.

Always hate the first step in learning new software >_<

B.K.

I downloaded it today. I need to start working with it a bit. I hope it's better to use than the editor that came with Unreal 2004. I hated using that version of the Editor.

A nice idea for a thread. I've have UDK installed for a bit now, but spend my time in Unity
because i'm lazy
, but it's nice to have all those learning resources in the op.

MNC

The battle of the SDKs Threads... Source SDK Thread versus UDK Thread...

Obviously UDK allows for much much much more freedom and I love both SDKs.

Now I finally have a rig that can play an Unreal game it's time to try this out sometime.

Mik2121

Here's the latest prop I was working on. Some ducts to put around my level:

FAFNm.png

CFEXA.png

Don't mind the location, right now I placed them in the middle of my test level to.. well, test them out.
I still need to fix the long piece that's curved, but otherwise this should do it. I have 5 objects for the ducts:

FpjRK.png

And yeah, they are missing the collisions. I will do that once I finish up everything.

Blizzard

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Here's the latest prop I was working on. Some ducts to put around my level:
What tool did you make them in, and did you use the option to export smoothing groups? You also probably need to check the option on import to use explicit normals instead of letting UDK try to figure the normals out. That should make the ducts look much less polygonal. My apologies if you already knew all this. :p

Karram

I think this should have been an a thread for Unreal engine editors in general. Including the UT and Gears of war editors. UDK is great but it isn't for amateaur level designers but for people who want to create full games or level art.
3D buzz videos are great for anyone who wants to learn how to use it even for people who have no previous experience using other editors.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Very nice thread, thanks Mik! I really ought to start learning drawing again for levels and characters. My modelling knowledge is very basic, but I know my way around Unreal a bit.

Mik2121

Blizzard said:
What tool did you make them in, and did you use the option to export smoothing groups? You also probably need to check the option on import to use explicit normals instead of letting UDK try to figure the normals out. That should make the ducts look much less polygonal. My apologies if you already knew all this. :p
Hey! I use 3DSMax 2010. I always export the models as *.fbx and the default export settings already include smoothing groups.

As for when I import it into UDK, the default settings have the "Override Tangents" box unchecked. Either way, most of my props have just 1 smoothing group, because all the normal info comes from the normal map, so less stuff to worry about..

If the pipes look a bit polygonal, that's probably because, well, they don't have many polygons :p

I knew about it anyway, but thanks for telling me anyway!. Maybe someone else reads your comment and he/she learns something new! :p

(._.)

Banned
I saw a presentation on this engine at a gaming conference in my area (NC). It looks fairly fun to learn in. I'm more interested in learning through this engine than Unity3D. There is so much resources though for Unity making it a really good learning tool. Will install this soon and try and recreate a space shooter.

Mik2121

(._.) said:
I saw a presentation on this engine at a gaming conference in my area (NC). It looks fairly fun to learn in. I'm more interested in learning through this engine than Unity3D. There is so much resources though for Unity making it a really good learning tool. Will install this soon and try and recreate a space shooter.
There are tons of tutorials for Unity3D indeed, but UDK has more in my opinion.

I don't know much (if anything at all) about programming so I can't tell you which one would be easier, though. There's one good thing about Unity3D that Unreal Engine doesn't have though, and that's a web player. But otherwise UDK is just much deeper, and you don't need to pay a damn license to get all the content (for Unity3D, if you get the free version you will be missing on many features).

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is it possible to load up the Samaritan demo and see how it runs on your pc or play around with the source code?

Either way, I haven't messed with an editor since UT2004. Gonna give this a try...

Blizzard

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Hey! I use 3DSMax 2010. I always export the models as *.fbx and the default export settings already include smoothing groups.

As for when I import it into UDK, the default settings have the "Override Tangents" box unchecked. Either way, most of my props have just 1 smoothing group, because all the normal info comes from the normal map, so less stuff to worry about..

If the pipes look a bit polygonal, that's probably because, well, they don't have many polygons :p

I knew about it anyway, but thanks for telling me anyway!. Maybe someone else reads your comment and he/she learns something new! :p
That's not what I meant. There's a "Static Mesh->Advanced->Explicit Normals" checkbox on the mesh import settings. It produces the following difference (same mesh, but one import had the checkbox checked):

udktest_10lnhb.png

Of course, it may not do a lot for the "polyonal" effect around the borders so you may already have it checked.

Mik2121

celcius said:
Is it possible to load up the Samaritan demo and see how it runs on your pc or play around with the source code?
Nope, the Samaritan files are not available. The closest thing would be the GDC 2010 demo. That one comes with UDK, but it doesn't have any DirectX11 feature.

Blizzard said:
That's not what I meant. There's a "Static Mesh->Advanced->Explicit Normals" checkbox on the mesh import settings. It produces the following difference (same mesh, but one import had the checkbox checked):

http://www.abload.de/img/udktest_10lnhb.png[img]

Of course, it may not do a lot for the "polyonal" effect around the borders so you may already have it checked.[/QUOTE]
Uhm, either the model on the left didn't have any smoothing groups set up or the option to override the original normals is turned off by default, which could be the reason why I never knew about it.

Either way, yeah, that cannot affect on the polygonal look of the models' silhouettes.

Thanks nevertheless! :)

(I will post how I export all my stuff in a bit)

Blizzard

Banned
(._.) said:
Beware that if you have never programmed, it will be a bit of a learning curve to pick up UnrealScript. If you are making something besides a FPS, you may need some UnrealScript to modify stuff. There are tutorials and examples and forum posts though, so don't be too frightened. :)

I don't know that UDK is a good engine to make a space shooter in, but here's something someone did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTYNjpryvK4

celcius said:

Either way, I haven't messed with an editor since UT2004. Gonna give this a try...
Nope. The GDC 2010 demo (the jungle one I linked) is included, but it has SUPER low performance, so you would have to probably edit out some effects to get a decent framerate.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
It's been 3 years since I messed around with an Unreal engine. I think I will follow the hell out of this thread. Very curious to see how "developer friendly" epic has gotten since UE2.5. And nice OP!

Mik2121

This is how I always work on my static meshes:

1. Work on the High Poly and Low Poly models making sure everything stays as much on the grid as possible.
2. Set the Low Poly model's smoothing groups to all in 1 group.
3. Bake maps from HP to LP in Max, ZBrush or xNormal.
4. Place the Pivot point where I will want it to make it easier to move around when making the level.

5zmGx.png

In this case I put it in the center of the hole of the duct, in one of the ends. Then I placed it on 0,0,0 and exported. BTW I almost never use the grid, I just had it displayed now to show that it was on 0,0,0 :p

5. Export Low Poly model as *.fbx with the default settings.
6. Import in UDK with the default settings (unless it's a very unique model that might need some extra setup, but I have had none of that for now)
7. Save it on whatever group I want.
8. Add the materials and create the collision box unless I already created one within 3dsmax.
9. ????
10. Profit.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm testing some dynamic shadows. Turning on the option to force no precomputed lighting (bottom of View->World Properties) reduces my level rebuild time to around 5 seconds, and for just moving meshes around, I might not even have to do that! Yay for avoiding long light baking times!

Unfortunately, even a very simple scene with really cranked shadow resolution appears to use some 70% of my 5850 and kicks the fan up...

udk11g91o.jpg

I am not interested in the shadows as much as I am anti-aliasing. I have been looking into the FXAA white paper (one of the techniques used in BF3) since someone said they implemented something like that. It would be awesome if there were a reasonable shader anti-aliasing technique, but I probably shouldn't be optimistic.

*edit*

Playing around with a material post-processing node:

udk12f77p.png

Mik2121

Yeah, UDK isn't definitely the best engine for real-time shadows. At least not until they work on optimizing it like CryEngine.

I see you got some sort of z-buffer shader post-processing and a black&white one. What does the last one do? It seems to be the default settings :p

Blizzard

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Yeah, UDK isn't definitely the best engine for real-time shadows. At least not until they work on optimizing it like CryEngine.

I see you got some sort of z-buffer shader post-processing and a black&white one. What does the last one do? It seems to be the default settings :p
It's default for comparison. I was just playing around with material effects...I got another one that makes things that are further away become brighter, like a reverse fog effect.

I'm trying to learn enough to see if it's possible to do some sort of shader anti-aliasing. I also want to know if there's a good way to have a postprocess material parameter change values over a range (repeating), but I haven't figured it out yet. *edit* It works! You can use a MaterialInstanceTimeVarying as a post-process material node. Right now to test it I have the screen fading normal -> black and white -> normal (loop).

Also, here's a really cool moving fog tutorial/video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfTzUwDeUbM
Here are some very impressive (to me) fluid effects: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySz-OjA8JVA&feature=related

Tain

Is it just me, or has CSG lighting been blowing lately? I've been off and on working on an awesomely trashy project with a friend of mine, and the lightmass lighting on CSG geometry seems so wrong. Lights seem to bleed in areas they shouldn't. I don't remember them acting like this even in older versions of UDK.

I understand that most people just import models all over the place and use blocking volumes, but there are cases where I'd like to use simple CSG and can't.

Anyway, awesome thread. I'm not much on the art side, so whenever I mess around with making maps they tend to look like GoldSrc stuff, but it's satisfying all the same and the UE3 tools are just so nice. It's hard to not play around with it at times.

Blizzard

Banned
Tain said:
Is it just me, or has CSG lighting been blowing lately? I've been off and on working on an awesomely trashy project with a friend of mine, and the lightmass lighting on CSG geometry seems so wrong. Lights seem to bleed in areas they shouldn't. I don't remember them acting like this even in older versions of UDK.

I understand that most people just import models all over the place and use blocking volumes, but there are cases where I'd like to use simple CSG and can't.

Anyway, awesome thread. I'm not much on the art side, so whenever I mess around with making maps they tend to look like GoldSrc stuff, but it's satisfying all the same and the UE3 tools are just so nice. It's hard to not play around with it at times.
I'm not sure, but if you've been updating your UDK, try going back to say, the January version. They do occasionally update lighting in an effort to make it as horrible as possible (well maybe not really, but they could have broken it for the last 2-4 months). :p If it is a bug hopefully it gets fixed at some point.

Apparently I really need to learn how to use the brush painting tool thing since it can apparently work with a shader to add entropy. I think this is awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjJyD0j6We8

Mik2121

Blizzard said:
I'm not sure, but if you've been updating your UDK, try going back to say, the January version. They do occasionally update lighting in an effort to make it as horrible as possible (well maybe not really, but they could have broken it for the last 2-4 months). :p If it is a bug hopefully it gets fixed at some point.

Apparently I really need to learn how to use the brush painting tool thing since it can apparently work with a shader to add entropy. I think this is awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjJyD0j6We8
Vertex painting? Yeah, you can use that for tons of stuff. What the video is doing there is just masking the mesh so that another shader shows up on top of the original one. If you got some money to spare and want some really professional videos, the 3dmotive ones can help you out:

http://3dmotive.com/product-udk-mesh-paint

Mik2121

NotTarts said:
Offtopic, but will there be a CryENGINE SDK thread when it's released?
After a few months, if it gets enough support, sure... Though we don't have that many people doing stuff using SDK's, so maybe we could put both UDK and Cryengine together in a single thread (I could use my second post to put the CryEngine info).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Good idea to make this thread. I need a better PC before I get Unreal and start playing around again. I want to use it to make foundation images to make illustrations instead of doing slow ass 3D renders just to have some shadows. It's so much faster to this do in real-time.

BTW is the free version gimped in some ways on the graphical end?

Mik2121

Ether_Snake said:
Good idea to make this thread. I need a better PC before I get Unreal and start playing around again. I want to use it to make foundation images to make illustrations instead of doing slow ass 3D renders just to have some shadows. It's so much faster to this do in real-time.

What software do you use for your 3D renders?

If you use any recent version of 3DSMax, you have real-time shadows. Otherway, yeah, you can definitely use UDK for that. It's not gimped in any way on the graphical end, and I don't think it's all that much gimped in the programming end, but I can't tell much about that..

Tain said:

CSG lighting totally does blow. It gave me such a hard time. Though ideally, you should be using as little CSG in your level as possible

Blizzard

Banned
Mik2121 said:
After a few months, if it gets enough support, sure... Though we don't have that many people doing stuff using SDK's, so maybe we could put both UDK and Cryengine together in a single thread (I could use my second post to put the CryEngine info).
My only concern would be that including both UDK and CryEngine (or UDK and Source modding) in the same thread seems like it could lead to lots of arguments or whatnot instead of a slower, focused thread about particular technology. I know we already have a Source mod thread, even if it's not explicitly a "show your Source modding screenshots" thread. Everyone's free to weigh in on what would be the best option, though. By then this thread might be dead.

Ether_Snake said:
I have mostly operated on the programming side of things, though I have recently been teaching myself the modeling/graphical stuff too. As far as I know the free version is not gimped except in being able to access/modify the engine source (and recently some shader source seems to have been removed as well). As long as the engine actually supports what you want to do, you get the latest monthly features that are presumably the same as licensed people get. I think some features were also added to make life a little easier on the free users. For instance, you can link a DLL with an UnrealScript file to do custom C++ etc. code. I have a really simple DLL that sets the OS mouse cursor position for instance. I'm curious to see if I can use that functionality to do some sort of AI operation, but I suspect that may not be workable.

For my own craziness last night, I ported pretty much all of the Timothy Lottes FXAA v1 shader code as a UDK post-process material effect, since someone else had done something similar. Unfortunately, though it seemed to be working, and the debug options seemed to show edges etc., it seemed to make very little difference in the aliasing. =( I may try to do some stronger form of MLAA/blur instead before giving up. For anyone curious, you can check out the DICE BF3 presentation that mentions FXAA, and/or read these:
http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2011/03/nvidia-fxaa.html
http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2011/04/nvidia-fxaa-ii-for-console.html

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok sounds good.

I'm using an older version of 3DS Max and my PC sucks so no real-time shadows for me in Max. Anyway I know from experience that working in real-time in a game editor goes so much faster for me than waste time with a lot of things that need to be set up for pre-rendered images.

I could make some cool stuff too in real-time, like remake some old game's environment in 3D (FFVII, etc.). I got mad 3D skills when it comes to real-time environments;)

Karram

Mik2121 said:
Why not just create another thread for the CryEngine 3 SDK ?

Blizzard

Banned
Observation of the evening: Running the editor in DX11 vs. DX9 doesn't seem to make much of a performance difference when I play in editor after all (around 50% activity on my ATI 5850), with the max framerate set to 60.

However, if you turn on the multisamples option in an attempt to do 4xAA, it works, but even for my very simple scene the GPU fan kicks up and the usage goes to the 95-99% range. :/ I spent a while trying to get RadeonPro to work doing the AA, using the UT3 profile. It did not seem to work, and whenever it was set to detect UDK.exe, the game always launched rather than the editor, even when I put "editor" in the start parameters. And even when the game launched, the settings did not seem to take effect.

Conclusion: AA seems super expensive in the UDK's DX11 mode, and I guess I will be sticking to no AA for now since overriding it is difficult to impossible. I really wish that whatever Mirror's Edge used could be used in the UDK, but I suspect DICE may have modified the engine in that regard.

*edit* Also, I got two Steam achievements even though I was using the separately downloaded UDK. XD

Blizzard said:
*edit* Also, I got two Steam achievements even though I was using the separately downloaded UDK. XD
Weird. My separate UDK stopped interfacing with Steam a few versions ago. I thought it was odd when it started, and equally odd when it stopped.

Mik2121

Ether_Snake said:
Ok sounds good.

I'm using an older version of 3DS Max and my PC sucks so no real-time shadows for me in Max. Anyway I know from experience that working in real-time in a game editor goes so much faster for me than waste time with a lot of things that need to be set up for pre-rendered images.

I could make some cool stuff too in real-time, like remake some old game's environment in 3D (FFVII, etc.). I got mad 3D skills when it comes to real-time environments;)
Oh... lol. You should definitely try doing something, then!. I'd love to see it.

Top Bottom