• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UDK Thread: Unreal Development Kit

Man, I didn't know there was a specific UDK thread here. Might as well post what I am working on:

I'm working on the body of the dragon, but until then, I wanted to ask here about toggable lights. How expensive are they compared to regular points lights? I want to try and use them to give the room the flicker of fire when I shoot the video. Are they a viable alternative, or full dynamics lights cheaper/better?

Nice looking stuff! Maybe you should consider an emissive material.
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialBasics.html#Self-Illumination / Emissive / Bloom

If you do this you can use material parameters to change brightness and what have you.

Raxious

I haven't used the Oculus Rift myself but it looks like it could be quite fun to use with UDK.
I have read some stuff about it though, and it seems you will also need a specific version of UDK for it to work with OR, right?

If you try it out, let us know how it was! I will try to grab one sometime early next year (hopefully one with higher screen resolution).

I decided to wait getting one. The fact that the 1080p version is supposedly going to be announced 'soon' makes me not wanna spent 300$, only to see a better version getting released.

I might get it early next year as well. It would be so cool to create a demo level for school, give my teacher the OR and say "Now this is how you're supposed to play games!".

Minamu

I believe that when the OR comes out and has the needed features techwise, that's when the truly new generation begins. I think the OR has the bigger and better potential to change the playing field in revolutionary ways than the next-gen hardware. Who knows what'll happen when you combine the two!

Minamu

So, it seems OR requires Unity Pro to work. Just how good or bad is that special version of UDK with OR support? :) I need one of these programs for an OR related master thesis project and to the best of my knowledge, my school doesn't have Unity Pro or a budget to get me a license.

Blizzard

Banned
So, it seems OR requires Unity Pro to work. Just how good or bad is that special version of UDK with OR support? :) I need one of these programs for an OR related master thesis project and to the best of my knowledge, my school doesn't have Unity Pro or a budget to get me a license.
It seemed to work okay for me, but has it been updated at all? Like we were discussing earlier, Oculus lost one of the big experts on it, so I don't know if they ever fixed some of the problems. I don't think it had too many features for settings etc.

That said, you're in school, and the UDK download isn't huge on the Oculus site, just grab it and give it a shot! Worth at least seeing if it will work for you, and normal UDK/UE3 tutorials should still apply.

Minamu

It seemed to work okay for me, but has it been updated at all? Like we were discussing earlier, Oculus lost one of the big experts on it, so I don't know if they ever fixed some of the problems. I don't think it had too many features for settings etc.

That said, you're in school, and the UDK download isn't huge on the Oculus site, just grab it and give it a shot! Worth at least seeing if it will work for you, and normal UDK/UE3 tutorials should still apply.
I'll have to check it out for sure :) It's a small project, just one room, a train track, a track switch and a speeding train basically. Should be fairly easy to construct in any engine, really :)

Raxious

Soo, I started working on a new school project today which is a horror game set in a dream world. Created the floors for the block level by using a map someone from our group made.

Gotta say, took me only 20 minutes and it's pretty close to it.

N9b6jGC.png

Top Bottom