• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
CO7teQEWgAAHpWX.jpg

The UFC Returns with a major PPV featuring its biggest PPV star and draw. Taking place in Melbourne Australia the card is expected to set the UFC record attendance with over 50,000+ tickets being sold.

When: November 14th 2015
Where: Etihad Stadium, Melbourne Australia
When: PPV Card begins at 10pm ET

Official Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jSKMoXTvaQ

MAIN CARD
Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET

Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm
for women's bantamweight title

Screen-Shot-2015-08-22-at-11.40.07-AM1.png

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Valerie Letourneau
for strawweight title

joannavsvalerieigny.jpg

Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Silva
Uriah Hall vs. Robert Whittaker
Jared Rosholt vs. Stefan Struve

PRELIMINARY CARD
FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET

Akbarh Arreola vs. Jake Matthews
Kyle Noke vs. Peter Sobotta
Anthony Perosh vs. Gian Villante
Danny Martinez vs. Richie Vaculik

PRELIMINARY CARD
UFC Fight Pass, 6:15 p.m. ET

Daniel Kelly vs. Steve Montgomery
Steven Kennedy vs. Richard Walsh
James Moontasri vs. Anton Zafir
Ryan Benoit vs. Ben Nguyen

I will be certain to not bother going out for this or even watching it, as UFC tends to stack Rousey cards with way too many goddamn fights that go the distance because both guys suck

ApharmdX

Banned
This is a decent event but the two headliners are lopsided mismatches. I think I'll pass even though I'm a RR fan.

Remf

Looking forward to the hunt/silva fight as their last fight was brutally awesome. Hopefully Uriah hall brings his killer instinct with him. He's fun to watch when he does. Oh yeah, and Rhonda wins by hulk smash (though, I wouldn't mind putting a little down on holm since the odds are so high).

Also, to those that say the other fights will be snoozers, you never know what will happen when the fight starts. I've seen plenty of barn burners after everyone else said they would suck. Damn, I love mma.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
this fight will be longer than 30 seconds right.

Holm is a former professional boxer and was hyped up coming into UFC, but she's been largely unimpressive so far. It's one of those fights that's really hard to predict. Can't say whether Ronda will take her down immediately and submit her or keep range and take her down slightly after immediately and submit her.

I know there aren't that many women in UFC yet, but are they really feeding Ronda #9's now lol.

She's number 7 now (UFC loves to bump people up a few spots before title or main event fights) and I think only one ahead of her hasn't already lost to Ronda. Amanda Nunes pretty much the last one left in the top 10 before Rousey laps the field.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Holly has legit credentials from outside the ufc. She will be the best striker she has faced.

There's little evidence she has good overall mma skills, which I think is the point. It's like late 90s early 00s when men were often that one dimensional. That said, I like that about women's mma. I think it was more exciting back then when e.g. Sakuraba was submitting many opponents that didn't know the basic defense that everyone knows today

BadAss2961

Bold prediction time:

The fight will end in under a minute... With Ronda rushing in and getting clipped.

Petruzelli'd

This card is weird and I haven't decided if I'm going to get it. There's a lot of fighters on it I want to see, but in matches I don't want to.

Ferny

OH SHIT, my bad. You guys can close this thread then, I don't go into the MMA Community thread. Had no idea my bad man

For real mods, go ahead and close this I didn't mean to take someone's OT

Does it really matter? It's already open. It's not like it's a gaming OT

VoxPop

Why is this PPV worth it's own OT days in advance? It's a garbage card with a main event that will end in less than 30 seconds.

Yeah it's a terrible card but if SuperGirl and Survivor:Cambodia can have their own OTs, I don't see why this can't.

JustinBB7 said:
I know there aren't that many women in UFC yet, but are they really feeding Ronda #9's now lol.

Well they don't really have a choice when Ronda destroyed everyone #1-8 except Nunes. The division is a joke but Holm definitely has the most marketability, tools, and skills out of all these other women.

There are many ways this fight can go down unlike her other fights.

1. Ronda gets the submission in under a minute.

2. Ronda KO's a pro boxer with some ugly shot and her popularity skyrockets even more to an unbearable point.

3. Holm who actually has some striking prowess unlike all of Rousey's previous opponents picks her apart for 5 rounds with body shots and tepid jabs to win a split decision.

Holly_Holm_vs._Allanna_Jones_2_medium.gif

thus killing women's MMA and Ronda's career

I for one am excited for Joanna Champion's inevitable TKO beatdown.

Nothing else is really worth watching except maybe two out of shape old HWs trying to keep their job slugging it out.

There's little evidence she has good overall mma skills, which I think is the point. It's like late 90s early 00s when men were often that one dimensional. That said, I like that about women's mma. I think it was more exciting back then when e.g. Sakuraba was submitting many opponents that didn't know the basic defense that everyone knows today
I'm with you. I'm looking for a more risky fight of two one sided fighters going at it.

I truly hope Holm wins as I love boxers and I just can't stand Ronda and her entire camp. I like fighters with a bit of humility. Fighters like Jones and Ronda piss me off, regardless of their skills or dominance.

dream

We've been talking about Holly's "potential" for the past 3 years now, and she's still just as green and gunshy as she was in Tachi or whereverthefuck. I just don't think she'll ever improve.

I could see Holm lasting until the 2nd or 3rd round. The one thing she has translated really well to her MMA game is distance management. I could see her keeping Rousey back a bit. But yeah she will get finished more than likely at some point.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
really excited to see Joanna again. she's incredible and should dominate her weight class, like rhonda, for a looong time.

Her mom is 100% right about her coach. Dude sucks. And striking is supposed to be his expertise.
Edmund is an idiot and I agree. No one will doubt rondas strength, ferocity and grappling skills, but her striking form is just awful.

Arm punches, limp wrists, no rotation from the waist/hips or shoulders... It looks like someone a month or so into boxercise classes and that's being polite.

She trains a lot and she really should have a lot better form than this. I'm surprised she hasn't seriously injured her wrists in her fights yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom