• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
AY1BgyW.gif

Holy Shit.

SkylineRKR

Holly's looking pretty hot at Larry King.

Anyway, the Rousey circus is embarrassing especially if you watch it now. All those celebs saying she's on top of the mountain and probably untouched for a long time. Come on now, she's never been tested. Short fights against girls who fell for submissions. She has no experience with longer bouts and with opponents with actual skill and footwork.

A rematch anytime soon wouldn't be wise. There is no way Ronda's footwork and stand up is going to be on par. The difference in fighting skill was too blatant here. She could aim for a quick submission, but for that she needs to expose herself into striking range and Holly's physique seems to be on another level.

Eh no, pretty damn sure this image wasn't the reason why. It's more likely because of the 2nd one that he posted with Ronda being in the hospital bed still Ko'ed and getting sold by Meisha for Cosby to take advantage of her. Taken from Kill Bill.

This may be the reason in contrast to mine. Although, I'm pretty sure somebody laughed at that post.

Norml

Ronda only lost because of her game plan and trying to box. All she got to do is comit to grabbing hold and drag her down.

May16

All she got to do is comit to grabbing hold and drag her down.
There were -- it should be noted -- multiple clinches during the fight and even an armbar attempt while on the ground. Holm escaped.

Although I will add that this "See! Boxing is better than MMA!" shit on social media is annoying. Holm wasn't just boxing in there, she was kickboxing and she also proved capable of defending herself from a threatening ground game.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but seeing boxers (the people, not the underwear) gloat like this is some boxing vs. MMA thing is kind dumb.

Norml

There were -- it should be noted -- multiple clinches during the fight and even an armbar attempt while on the ground. Holm escaped.

Although I will add that this "See! Boxing is better than MMA!" shit on social media is annoying. Holm wasn't just boxing in there, she was kickboxing and she also proved capable of defending herself from a threatening ground game.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but seeing boxers (the people, not the underwear) gloat like this is some boxing vs. MMA thing is kind dumb.
Her clinch game
didn't seem to be focused on taking down. That inside arm move could be why ,but I don't see that move working again.

IrishNinja

Ronda only lost because of her game plan and trying to box. All she got to do is comit to grabbing hold and drag her down.

oh yeah, good plan that

that narrative ist a result of dana's dumb rousey/floyd shipping and tons of OT gaffers buying it hook link & sinker
you're seeing that because the MMA > boxing/any MMA champ can crush boxers because they're "less limited" in their fighting etc was meme-like

it's usually people who are barely familiar with boxing and not familiar with MMA at all who say dumb shit like that. there's an interview with laila ali where she corrects a dopy reporter who thinks holm won only because of superior boxing -- the stance, spacing, and type of strikes thrown are totally different to boxing, and the clinch and grappling involved are totally different as well. holm is a far better striker, but she's also a better mixed martial artist. she shut ronda down.

oh yeah, good plan that

that narrative ist a result of dana's dumb rousey/floyd shipping and tons of OT gaffers buying it hook link & sinker
you're seeing that because the MMA > boxing/any MMA champ can crush boxers because they're "less limited" in their fighting etc was meme-like
no, it's because they don't understand either sport. mma fighter wins in mma, boxer wins in boxing. it's laughable whenever an mma fighter claims he/she can transition into boxing and dominate (rousey and jds are two in recent memory who've made such claims). I don't recall any boxers making the opposite claim recently, probably because we've seen a pure boxer fight in MMA enough times to know what the result will be.

Her clinch game
didn't seem to be focused on taking down. That inside arm move could be why ,but I don't see that move working again.
it wasn't a single move that kept ronda from tripping or hip tossing holm.

one of the keys to the fight that hasn't really been talked about was that great elbow holm delivered a couple of minutes into the first round. prior to the elbow, rousey was actually attemping to cut off the ring. after the elbow, ronda looked a bit wobbly, and she started chasing after holm in straight lines... the bull rush was good enough to work on lesser fighters, but it made the fighter way easier for holm. ronda's corner should've corrected this at the end of the first round...
WMMA fans are going to miss Ronda when Holm starts jabbing her way to decisions and gets relegated to fox sports 1 cards.
yeah, I am not looking forward to holm's fights if it's a return to the pitter patter she showed in her first 3 ufc bouts. ronda charging at her like a crazy bull gave holm the opportunity to destroy her. holm's other opponents have been smarter, even thought they're much worse fighters than ronda. i think it was the pennington fight that was a split decision, and pennington was like 6 - 5 at the time. i was really disappointed in holm leading up to her fight with ronda.

Doikor

That was fucking embarrassing. I still think people are delusional if they think she would even TOUCH floyd.

She got lit up by a boxer who isnt even close to floyds strength, speed or skill.

I also cant believe how out of shape and soft ronda looked in some of those interviews - i guess her cardio has never been put to the test but she really has to make sure she doesnt stack on weight and lose her fitness while she is healing up for the next 6 months.

She got lit up but a kickboxer who has been spending the last couple years training her takedown defence (also was in a way better physical condition then Ronda). At this point she is a MMA fighter not a boxer.

What people mean that Ronda/any high level MMA fighter could beat boxer X is that without some (quite extensive) MMA training that would really be true. I mean Holly started her professional MMA career over 4 years ago. She already had solid striking/kicking so all she really had to do was to learn some wrestling/bbj/takedown defence to become really good (like what happens with wrestlers becoming good in MMA by learning how to do standup but in reverse). Every time Ronda got a hold of her she did all the correct moves to defend her self and escape the situation. That shit takes years of training for it to work against fighters like Ronda.

As a side note most high level kickboxers/muay thai fighters would also wreck most boxers again due to the same reasoning as MMA fighters do. They just have more tools available to them.

Yaari

That breakdown by Firas Zahabi did such an excellent job at portraying how Ronda was just inches away from a win at one point. Holly did a great job defending throws and submissions, but she also gave some things away and that nearly cost her the fight.

Ofcourse as the fight went on it started getting more onesided. But they were interesting things that I would not have known had I not seen it.

Plenty of work for Holly there too. Because if Ronda won't walk into punches in a rematch, it will be an entirely different fight. And the longer it goes on, the more likely she finds herself in such situations again. I'm not sure how many times she'd be able to defend that armbar.

That breakdown by Firas Zahabi did such an excellent job at portraying how Ronda was just inches away from a win at one point. Holly did a great job defending throws and submissions, but she also gave some things away and that nearly cost her the fight.

Ofcourse as the fight went on it started getting more onesided. But they were interesting things that I would not have known had I not seen it.

Plenty of work for Holly there too. Because if Ronda won't walk into punches in a rematch, it will be an entirely different fight. And the longer it goes on, the more likely she finds herself in such situations again. I'm not sure how many times she'd be able to defend that armbar.

I disagree with this. I also saw the various analysis and Holly was nowhere near losing. Ronda in all the clinches and the armbar attempt was "one step away from winning", but that step was usually pretty massive and Holm had full control of the situation.

It's like in chess being one move away from mate if only you could move twice in a row. In a real game that doesn't mean you're anywhere close to winning, in fact you could be completely lost, as it was the case here.

See in the armbar attempt you see that Ronda needed to move her foot to get the lever and once she goes for that last step, Holly was able to easily escape. There was no way that armbar attempt was ever gonna work on her because Holly did a good job on the takedown defense. It would have been extremely difficult to pull off, even for an undamaged Ronda.

So no, I don't think she was ever inches away from losing. Holm dominated from start to finish and competently defended everything Ronda threw at her.

I'm extremely interested to see who she'll fight next. I very much doubt it'll be Rousey.

Yaari

Last post from me here. Time for UFC 194.
Wanted to post this interview with Ronda's former Judo coach. I found it very interesting. He talks about her olympic days, preparation, and struggles she had after losing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0384bkn Only 8 minutes long but if you are at all interested, give it a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom