• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC on Fox - Velasquez vs. Dos Santos - HW Championship - 11.12.11 - 6pm P/9pm E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nome

Anyone catch Dana White's tirade after the fight? I heard he was kind of disrespectful talking about JDS. His key to the Mexican market went down the drain :(

Hopefully it wasn't as bad as when Cain beat Brock.

Jezbollah

BigJonsson said:
Haha oh, they only showed the other fights on Sportsnet in Canada

This is why Canada is Dana's favourite country :p We do UFC right

They showed the other fights on the International broadcast. (ie for us in the UK via Premier Sports).

DKehoe

Nome said:
Anyone catch Dana White's tirade after the fight? I heard he was kind of disrespectful talking about JDS. His key to the Mexican market went down the drain :(

Hopefully it wasn't as bad as when Cain beat Brock.
Dunno if he said anything at the press conference but in the post fight analysis he kept talking about how Junior gets tired as fights go on. If I was president of the UFC I wouldn't be burying my heavyweight champion like that on the biggest TV platform they have ever had.
Shame for UFC that Cain lost, with the reception he was getting from the crowd I thought he could have looked like a superstar if he had a great victory.

Asked my buddy yesterday who texted about the whole Dana vs Ref thing to go into more detail about what went down after the fight. But I think the network dropped a gag order due to leaks...all I got was;

Yo dude, you saw the press conference right? That's all I can say see ya at basketball

Hopefully I can get more in person, will try fellas.

***to the poster above me

Nobody really goes undefeated in the UFC. It's nigh impossible. Which is what makes Anderson so damn amazing if you think about it.

This isn't boxing, there really is nowhere to hide. Much like real life fighting 1 million things could go wrong from lucky shots like tonight and Mir grasping Lesnar's leg all the up and through a random injury.

DKehoe

CommonSense said:
Nobody really goes undefeated in the UFC. It's nigh impossible. Which is what makes Anderson so damn amazing if you think about it.
True but it just seemed like it would be a huge breakout moment for him. Congrats to JDS though, was happy for either to win.

DKehoe said:
True but it just seemed like it would be a huge breakout moment for him. Congrats to JDS though, was happy for either to win.

I think CS got wind of jDS's leg injury and changed his strategy, and maybe even being on national TV might have played into it as well. He was striking and not focusing on his strength of floor dominance. He played right in JDS's strategy and would have lost anyway imo. I think next time he goes back to basics, because lord knows he isn't a brawler.

I'd personally like to see an honest to god healthy lesnar vs JDS. If Lesnar gets him on the floor, game over. It will really test Junior's ability to create range with his hands. Should be an awesome fight if it happens.

Asbel

DKehoe said:
Dunno if he said anything at the press conference but in the post fight analysis he kept talking about how Junior gets tired as fights go on. If I was president of the UFC I wouldn't be burying my heavyweight champion like that on the biggest TV platform they have ever had.
Shame for UFC that Cain lost, with the reception he was getting from the crowd I thought he could have looked like a superstar if he had a great victory.
People hate on Dana whether he says the truth or lies to promote the UFC. It don't matter.

Lesnar's chin is as soft as Cain's. Easy fight for JDS. Cain did outbox Nog but Nog had no power and that's a huge difference.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
DKehoe said:

That's the No. 1 hardest possible challenge for the UFC: creating a superstar. Dana could break the bank pushing some dude to the heavens and back in order to make him a superstar... but then he loses. And no-one who watches the UFC wants to see a champion go on a can-crushing tour in order to build a win streak. The incredible list of other pitfalls include but are not limited to: the superstar-to-be has got the charisma of a wet sponge. Or he doesn't speak English/is not American (limiting his marketability in the USA, which is where the money comes from.) Or he's a complete and utter idiot who can't put two good words together. Then you've got the inevitable variables and limitations of a physical sport to fuck shit up (injuries, decline over age, etc.)

Dana's at least pushing social marketing (Twitter bonuses, etc) to reward fighters for promoting themselves, which is exactly the kind of marketing needed for the foundation building and maintenance of a superstar (fighters build their own cults, etc). But this is criminally underused by fighters who don't really "get" it, or the fighters who take shit too seriously and don't want to become "sports entertainers."

CommonSense said:
I think CS got wind of jDS's leg injury and changed his strategy, and maybe even being on national TV might have played into it as well. He was striking and not focusing on his strength of floor dominance. He played right in JDS's strategy and would have lost anyway imo. I think next time he goes back to basics, because lord knows he isn't a brawler.

I don't want to sound like an MMA Alex Jones here, but I wonder if anyone "encouraged" the fighters to stay on their feet as to not provoke a "man, this MMA sure is gay hurr hurr" response from the unwashed masses.

industrian said:
but I wonder if anyone "encouraged" the fighters to stay on their feet as to not provoke a "man, this MMA sure is gay hurr hurr" response from the unwashed masses.
Man I hope not because watching mma is my biggest hobby other than playing video games and nothing will make me quit cold turkey like getting the slightest hint that these fights are fixed or interfered with in any way.

Asbel

industrian said:
I don't want to sound like an MMA Alex Jones here, but I wonder if anyone "encouraged" the fighters to stay on their feet as to not provoke a "man, this MMA sure is gay hurr hurr" response from the unwashed masses.
Did you see how that guy was punching the other dude after he knocked him down? Ultimate fighting is barbaric!

industrian

Asbel said:
Did you see how that guy was punching the other dude after he knocked him down? Ultimate fighting is barbaric!

AND IT WAS IN A CAGE TOO!!! LIKE ANIMALS!!1!

DKehoe

Asbel said:
People hate on Dana whether he says the truth or lies to promote the UFC. It don't matter.
People hating on him for being a promoter is one thing, thats his job so it's not a big deal if he hypes up a fight some people think is bad. But he was pointing out a weakness of his new champion on national TV, it's really bad promotion.

Dysun said:
Overeem vs JDS after he kills Brock

Can anyone say, HYPE!!!

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, son. Lesnar fought atleast the last fight if not his last 2 with some really bad medical issues.

Also, make sure you stay and eat that crow if the extremely overhyped "Reem" gets his ass handed to him.

Duress

I'm not upset about the fight but the build up to it was a half hour long, and I didn't like that.The analysis and commentating, was the same stuff over and over. They could of at least discussed what their plans future plans on Fox, were going to be.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
agrajag said:
They always go with the wrestler. Can't really blame them, but it's hilarious how wrong they all were.
So true. Even JDS picked Brock over Reem because he's a wrestler.

industrian

The Faceless Master said:

Roy Nelson may be onto something.
Albeit he forgot about Shane Carwin.

But a lot of this Cain hype seems to be fodder for Dana wanting to make him the UFC superstar posterboy. Hype him to the moon, make him seem like an unstoppable force... and pray to god that he lives up to the hype. And all because Cain defeated hammered the last unstoppable force UFC superstar posterboy. Hopefully they market JDS's championship reign with a little more tact.

industrian said:
Roy Nelson may be onto something.
Albeit he forgot about Shane Carwin.

But a lot of this Cain hype seems to be fodder for Dana wanting to make him the UFC superstar posterboy. Hype him to the moon, make him seem like an unstoppable force... and pray to god that he lives up to the hype. And all because Cain defeated hammered the last unstoppable force UFC superstar posterboy. Hopefully they market JDS's championship reign with a little more tact.
he already started off with more tact pointing out that it's all about his boxing and can someone take him down bla bla bla!

industrian

he already started off with more tact pointing out that it's all about his boxing and can someone take him down bla bla bla!

From the mood set today, I'm expecting to go into Dos Santos vs. Overeem with Dana saying "you know what, I might as well just give the belt to Alistair at the weigh-ins."

Then again the amount of rage that Dana will have after Overeem beats Brock will probably culminate in that title fight being relegated to the undercard of a UFC Live event.

skyfinch

TheNatural said:
Dana was pissed off? Where did he go off at, the post fight presser or something?

8ece105554322c19f6ff669be76db3ed.gif

UFC deserves that rating. Poor production and one fight. You gotta go big when you can reach your widest audience. I want the UFC to succeed but glad Dana has been humbled.

agrajag

Banned

He's realized the error of his ways in overhyping his champions, so now he's taken a different approach and trashes them on national television.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
UFC deserves that rating. Poor production and one fight. You gotta go big when you can reach your widest audience. I want the UFC to succeed but glad Dana has been humbled.

That rating is a success for them from what I've read. The final rating is also expected to go up due to the nature of live programming. My prediction yesterday was correct.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
BoboBrazil said:
That rating is a success for them from what I've read. The final rating is also expected to go up due to the nature of live programming. My prediction yesterday was correct.

Only if they set the bar super low is that a success.

Fox Mulder

BoboBrazil said:

how?

shitty elite xc got like 6 million on CBS with kimbo slice and gina carano, and even had numerous stations refuse to show it. The UFC is the premiere brand of MMA and just had a heavyweight title fight on free TV. Seems pretty mediocre.

TheNatural

My Member!
skyfinch said:

Yeah I saw that, I thought he was being goofy bashing strategy, not really going off though.

FYI as someone said earlier, UFC's 18-49 rating last night was a 2.4. Only 0.1 below the Stanford-Oregon game on at that hour, which is great considering the fight lasted all of a minute.

bkfount said:
how?

shitty elite xc got like 6 million on CBS with kimbo slice and gina carano, and even had numerous stations refuse to show it. The UFC is the premiere brand of MMA and just had a heavyweight title fight on free TV. Seems pretty mediocre.

Supposedly Fox and UFC were hoping for 3 million viewers and they got 4.56 million.

yacobod

Banned
wait so fucking kimbo slice and elite xc drew better numbers than ufc on fox debut with the HW title on the line. god damn thats sad. dana needs to get shane o mac to help him run the business.

TheNatural

My Member!
BoboBrazil said:
Supposedly Fox and UFC were hoping for 3 million viewers and they got 4.56 million.

Note too that all that matters is the 18-49 rating, that's it, nothing else. Here's what the 18-49 ratings were:

9:00 ABC College Football: Oregon at Stanford 2.5/7 7.11
FOX UFC: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos 2.4/7 4.64
CBS NCIS (R) 0.9/3 5.50
NBC College Football: Notre Dame at Maryland 0.5/1 1.75

Note that a rerun of NCIS had 5.5 million viewers, but it's 18-49 ratings was way less than UFC. The fact that UFC basically matched a major top 5 college football game on a Saturday night is great news.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Cloudy said:
After that debacle, how many people will they get next time?
More if they have a full card. People tuned in for the fight and tuned out after it was over a minute later. Nobody cares about the "pregame" bullshit.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
I really think Brock might play it Safe against Overeem.

why would he stand? he only stood with cain because he was able to get up from his 2 takedown attempts, and i think he sorta gassed trying to fight at that high pace.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
bkfount said:
how?

According to the Beatdown podcast (Pre-fight), the Kimbo/Thompson fight had 4.3 million viewers.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It wasn't a tirade but Uncle Dana can't hide his emotions. Brazilians who speak broken english aren't a draw and Cain was a meal ticket as far as the Mexican community goes. Pretty obvious who he was rooting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom