• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013

Stevey

pTnFr8j.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The firmware update is specifically for HDR -- 4K wasn't mentioned at all. In fact, the logical conclusion here is that there won't be UHD BD support.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
At least all of this is better off being roped off here instead of polluting other threads.

In the thread about the PS Slim supporting 5 GHz wifi, he started going on and on about UHD support in the launch version of the Xbox One, which...what? He didn't even bring that up in response to anything.

IDK, how can an individual be so stubborn and ignorant to accept the reality: The 2013 launch consoles don't have any sort of UHD (HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2) support nor does they allow it to add such support via software patches. End of Story!

I give up!

facepalm.gif

"If you igonore everything I have said up to this point... I am right!"

Stupid facts! Always getting in the way.

That really is hysterical, though not even the least bit surprising.

What's the point? No one takes you seriously anymore, so no one is really being misled by the garbage you're spouting off. You've been corrected by many, many people many, many times, and none of that has changed your mind. You've even sneered at a number of people from Sony and Microsoft -- including several who work directly with this technology and would be in a position to know -- as being incompetent and/or liars. There's no reason to think that another round of corrections would have any greater an impact.

Sad little king of a sad little hill.

Lmfao btfo. Gtf in here now tyner.

Andrew House confirmed in today's meeting that all PS4 models -- going back to the 2013 launch models -- will have HDR capability added via firmware. No mention of UHD for the launch PS4 or the Slim model (which is coming by Sept. 15th in most markets).

The PS4 Pro (formerly nicknamed Neo) is confirmed to support UHD streaming, with Netflix and YouTube specifically highlighted. Ultra HD Blu-ray was not discussed, although that might be clarified during the hands-on. The Pro is coming November 10th for $399.

Adam Tyner post if you're okay. You made Rigby eat shit after the Xbox guy came here so I think it's time to apologize.

Sir Rigby.

It seems so. I have to admit that.

Some apologies may be in order.

Lmfao btfo. Gtf in here now tyner.

Never doubt in Rigby.

RIGBY WAS RIGHT!!!!!! Yo I'm so happy for him lol!!

#Rigby for poster of the year.

Are you people crazy?

UHD blu-ray is in the thread title.

Jebusman

Banned
This thread is living proof for why jeff is able to continue his ramblings. Because literally no one is capable enough of even basic reading comprehension to prove it wrong.

HDR =/= UHD Blu-ray.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This thread is living proof for why jeff is able to continue his ramblings. Because literally no one is capable enough of even basic reading comprehension to prove it wrong.

HDR =/= UHD Blu-ray.

Seriously. It's even in the title.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If anything this announcement proves Jeff WAS wrong. If they were gonna patch UHD BR they would have pimped that with HDR support.

UHD=4K+HDR+REC 2020

So still no but he may change the thread title again and a few weird post later claim he was right though.

But yeah, it's still a nice feature. And still Rigby was sort of onto something trying to prove they could make a firmware update to improve visual quality on PS4.

The firmware update is specifically for HDR -- 4K wasn't mentioned at all. In fact, the logical conclusion here is that there won't be UHD BD support.
This is possible that early PS4s only have a HDMI 2.0a port which was one of the three parts needed for UHD blu-ray and one of two needed to be UHD capable.

There was NO mention of UHD Blu-ray support on any console even the PS4 Pro. This was also something I predicted for the Meeting. We have to wait for the firmware update.

And Yes I did predict the Launch PS4 had a HDMI 2 port and did backpedal and state that they could support HDR for 1080P games with that port.

PS4 with HDMI 2 port.

The amount of technical ignorance in here is fantastic. Just more proof a lot of folks on GAF should stay far the hell away from tech discussion.

This is possible that early PS4s only have a HDMI 2.0a port which was one of the three parts needed for UHD blu-ray and one of two needed to be UHD capable.

There was NO mention of UHD Blu-ray support on any console even the PS4 Pro.

This makes me think the Pro isn't a UHD player. Why on Earth would they pimp Netflix and Youtube 4K but not even mention UHD BD? I can't believe the Pro isn't UHD but it seems likely unless they just forgot to mention it for some reason.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There was NO mention of UHD Blu-ray support on any console even the PS4 Pro.

I didn't say otherwise. What I did say is that House confirming retroactive HDR support but saying nothing of retroactive support for 4K content more or less confirms that UHD BD support isn't happening. HDR and 4K were the two pillars of the presentation -- if the PS4 were going to be updated to support 4K content natively, it stands to reason that this would have been mentioned.

To be clear, this isn't me yanking on your leash in an attempt to have you honour your end of the charity bet ahead of the clock hitting zero. I'm fine with letting the hourglass run its course, even if Sony categorically rules out UHD BD support for the PS4 in the interim.

Top Bottom