• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Destiny 2 is year's biggest retail launch, but retail down 58% from Destiny 1

Big Blue

I think a lot of people went into Destiny thinking it was going to be multi-platform Halo and when they got Diablo meets FPS with a far weaker story than the Halo series they checked out. A lot of people that bought the first game only finished the campaign and never bought the expansions. So now with less hype for a new franchise and a lot of Halo fans checking out we have a still pretty damn big group of people buying the sequel since it has it's own identity now. We'll see a ton of sales when it really hits PC too.

I'm taking a wait and see approach after I literally spent more time finding a raid, than actually playing one in D1. Without easy access to that content, I realized that long term, the game's value tanked.

Alienous

You're fine with Destiny 2 bombing but not the Windows Store? Sure, Jan.

I'm not the person you're quoting, but is there a comparison there?

The poster said he wants Destiny 2 to bomb because of how Destiny 1 was handled - the "shit they pulled".

I'm not seeing how that compares to, presumably, wanting a healthy alternative (and therefore competition) to Steam for buying games?

Is that the only criteria? You can't want it to fail because of shitty business practices, like micro-transactions? What's the criteria for "AGGRESSIVELY terrible" - a game with a lot of bugs? Those people have families and careers too.

My criteria for aggressively terrible is digitized shit like Ride to Hell.

As for MTs, let me tell you a secret: that's the industry now. It's not going away. You don't have to like it, but you sure as hell better square with it. You think D2 pioneered MTs? They're there because they make money. Period. People buy them, and they buy them often. Activision is a corporation. They want to make money. It's a stunning concept, for sure; I can't believe it either. After all, it doesn't matter the game is much, much better than it's predecessor. It's all about those MTs with cosmetic stuff you don't need, that no one is forcing you to buy, that is readily available in-game anyway.

Now that I think about it, you're right. Fuck Destiny.

Dynasty8

I bought D1 physical, so did all my friends.

I bought D2 digital, so did all my friends.

I really wish they would start including digital sales as well.

Floody

Digital Destiny 2 is £55. They're not buying it digitally.

You get 2 copies with digital. Destiny 2 was the first full retail game I've bought digitally.
I doubt it makes up all or even most of the difference though, Destiny burnt a lot of people, most of which probably didn't return when it got good and don't care for 2.

Pepboy

Lmao. Hilarious.

Why?

Destiny 1 was sold on false promises / intentionally misadvertising. They tricked a LOT of people into buying it.

The Windows store is just a small player in a market that is primarily dominated by one large player (steam). They have not intentionally misled anyone to my knowledge.

One is about punishing companies that trick customers, the other is about keeping competition alive. I don't see the disconnect or incongruity between these beliefs.

Have to include digital sales to really know.

Myself and everyone I play with...around 20 people all bought Destiny 1 physical. Every one of us bought Destiny 2 digital. I don't even personally know anyone that still buys physical.

What I'm saying is, a lot more people buy digital in 2017 than they did in 2014. I'm am not surprised in the least that physical numbers are down.

Calabi

Curious to see if there is some crow eatin´ to be done later this week:

ZV2ih60.jpg

The UK retail sales could be very misleading.

Increased preorders doesnt mean total sales are increased. It just means people from the first game are into the second game, and it just says above not by how much. It could even mean the game has a really short tail, as everyone who's into it has bought it already.

And I dont believe digital is that high to compensate, not in the UK at our prices, people arent that rich. Digital may be increasing but thats likely because of sales.

Sillverrr

I know digital sales will significantly boost this number, but in my case specifically I learned from my experience with Destiny One that this franchise is not for me. I went in expecting a space opera epic, and instead discovered a very good multiplayer shooter that's primarily fun with friends.

Best wishes to Bungee, but maybe Anthem will deliver more on the story front. In the meantime, I'll stick to traditional MMO's when I want my online fix.

Aranjah

Makes sense to me that more people would go digital. After how the first game went, even as someone who prefers to have their games physically Destiny 2 is one game that I'd rather just have digitally. It's so much more convenient for preorder bonuses and when it's time for the expansion DLC to not have to keep the vanilla disc in the system any more.
Unfortunately for me, I wanted the physical collector's edition stuff and that comes with the physical version of the game instead of a product key, so I'm stuck with the disc again this go-round.

And I dont believe digital is that high to compensate, not in the UK at our prices, people arent that rich. Digital may be increasing but thats likely because of sales.

£10 once to save the hassle of disc management for the game over the course of three years, relative to a physical edition that wouldn't be worth anything in that time.

Don't think you need to be that rich honestly.

Megatron

Americans can't grasp how weak digital sales are in the UK. Seriously, no one buys digital for £55 here. The UK is an *extremely* price sensitive market. A £10 difference might as well be £1,000 difference.

If I lived in the uk, I would buy all my games on the us digital store. A $60 game is only 45 pounds. I assume theres a decent amount of that happening too.

N21

Eh. They are comparing pre-orders to pre-orders.

Don't worry, I know that. All I'm trying to say is that pre-order isn't really a good metric considering pre-order numbers usually go up or down before a game release. The same thing can happen to paid pre-orders, but it usually indicates the hype and sales numbers on a more accurate basis.

Why?

Destiny 1 was sold on false promises / intentionally misadvertising. They tricked a LOT of people into buying it.

The Windows store is just a small player in a market that is primarily dominated by one large player (steam). They have not intentionally misled anyone to my knowledge.

One is about punishing companies that trick customers, the other is about keeping competition alive. I don't see the disconnect or incongruity between these beliefs.

What false promises, lies? Did I miss something?

N21

One thing that's got me thinking, will Activision's other games like COD:WW2 have a bad retail 1st week?

One thing that's got me thinking, will Activision's other games like COD:WW2 have a bad retail 1st week?

Depends on how it's received.

--

The notion that the UK market is doing bad as a means of deflecting these poor results is a load of bunk. Plenty of games have come out and put up impressive numbers.

Draft

PUBG is the sales monster of the year and it's digital only. I think the first time a AAA console game sells better digitally it will happen without much fanfare. We'll just learn about it in a press release after an NPD. Destiny 2 could definitely be that game.

Kill3r7

Last year IW's launch week sales sales were down 48.8% compared to BO3. At 328K sold.

Depends on how it's received.

--

The notion that the UK market is doing bad as a means of deflecting these poor results is a load of bunk. Plenty of games have come out and put up impressive numbers.

Agreed but impressive numbers by what standards. D2 has the best debut of the year, yet it is still down at retail.

Syntsui

Worthless data, digital sales are a juggernaut this year. Weren't there 1m concurrent players the other day? D1 never achieved that.

You loved the game but hope this one bomb? Why exactly. I know that microtransactions are shitty and i'm not defending them at all, but you can literally get everything in this game without spending a penny.
I loved the gameplay of the first, hated how it was barebones at launch, and nothing like it was promised, how they handled the season pass, the later expansions, and Xbox owners got an extra shaft in all that.

I was willing to forgo all that, but as soon as the details from Destiny 2 merged it became more and more clear that they were pulling the same shit (well, this time they didn't lie about the game at least), and at that point I was no longer in, and started hoping for the game to fail so they can learn their lesson.

Gurrry

I bought Destiny 1 on day 1, loved all of it. However, Im waiting for the PC version this time for D2. So theres atleast 1 retail sale they havent gotten yet.

They thought their little "make us wait 6 months" strategy would force everyone to double dip. But im not gonna fall for that shit.

If you people honestly think digital (+PC, which is still digital...) is enough to make up for a loss margin like that, then I don't know what you're smoking.

Is it outlandish to think +20% console digital +25% for PC? It seems reasonable to me based on what we've seen from other titles and that would close the gap a fair bit.

oti

Banned
Worthless data, digital sales are a juggernaut this year. Weren't there 1m concurrent players the other day? D1 never achieved that.

We get it. Some of you guys really like Destiny and that's fine. But this data isn't "worthless". The physical sales in the UK have dropped significantly. That's all this says. No need for dismissing facts like this.

Strakt

I loved the gameplay of the first, hated how it was barebones at launch, and nothing like it was promised, how they handled the season pass, the later expansions, and Xbox owners got an extra shaft in all that.

I was willing to forgo all that, but as soon as the details from Destiny 2 merged it became more and more clear that they were pulling the same shit (well, this time they didn't lie about the game at least), and at that point I was no longer in, and started hoping for the game to fail so they can learn their lesson.

Sounds like a personal problem to me

GlamFM

Banned
We get it. Some of you guys really like Destiny and that's fine. But this data isn't "worthless". The physical sales in the UK have dropped significantly. That's all this says. No need for dismissing facts like this.

Yeah - it goes both ways though.

Because there is absolutely no reason to dismiss the increase of digital over the last 3 years.

Yes, even in the UK.

Jacknapes

Should have digital sales included, physical UK sales for Destiny 2 are certainly not high. Plenty of people playing though, so never short of matchmaking. Sales are only going to rise with more and more people spreading the word on how much better this is.

Would love to see the digital sales for D2, see if that makes up the shortfall in numbers.

Your logic is still awful. Lots of good, talented folks worked long hours on this.games doing well is good for the industry. I bet you were OK with ms DRM with x1 though right?
Since I already wanted to go all digital this gen, yeah, I was fine with the DRM, as it would be a better than any other digital only stores.
A win? Yikes. For one, we dont know its down overall. There is no lesson they need to learn here. D2 is far better than 1.
If it were up we would have heard by now. Act boasted about beta and pre-order numbers being higher, boasted about concurrent users... I doubt they wouldn't do it for launch if they were too.

And yes, a think a game that fucks their customers not meeting sales expectations is a win, and hope that next time they learn not to fuck with their fans.

Yes. One is purposely fucking the users. The other is bad but it's improving.

I don't want Bungie to go out of business, I want them to treat consumers that supported them since the beginning with respect.

oti

Banned
Yeah - it goes both ways though.

Because there is absolutely no reason to dismiss the increase of digital over the last 3 years.

Yes, even in the UK.

Just as there's no need to dismiss the facts there's also no need to declare Destiny 2 a giant bomba. But we don't actually know the digital sales rate of this game, so speculating is kinda pointless. It could be more than 30%, it could be less than 30%. We just don't know.

I really don't get how people can get so emotional over this. These are sales numbers of a multi billion dollar revenue project. Just relax, everybody. There's nothing here to get emotional about unless one worked on this game.

Lol.

Lessons learned so far: tons of people bought the game and are enjoying the hell out of it, on both platforms.

And yes, a think a game that fucks their customers not meeting sales expectations is a win, and hope that next time they learn not to fuck with their fans.

Why do you speak like this is a fact, and not just that you yourself feel fucked by them? I've seen an overwhelming amount of people that like D1 be satisfied and happy with what D2 has provided.

One man's upset is not the plight of the entire fanbase, no matter how many times you state it. Perhaps if you actually dug into how D2 "fucks the fans" instead of just repeating a tired and meaningless phrase your position might hold more weight and be met with more substance.

Freeman76

Exactly this!! At last a post which includes logic. 1.2 million concurrent players, this game is a guaranteed sales monster.

People are underestimating how many digital sales this will have.

The ๖ۜBronx;248580044 said:
Why do you speak like this is a fact, and not just that you yourself feel fucked by them? I've seen an overwhelming amount of people that like D1 be satisfied and happy with what D2 has provided.

One man's upset is not the plight of the entire fanbase, no matter how many times you state it. Perhaps if you actually dug into how D2 "fucks the fans" instead of just repeating a tired and meaningless phrase your position might hold more weight and be met with more substance.
C'mon now, do I really have to make it clear that I'm talking about myself here?

I can't see how my posts can be seen in any other way than I'm being bummed by how they handled the game and wishing they come back to being the awesome company they used to be.

C'mon now, do I really have to make it clear that I'm talking about myself here?

I can't see how my posts can be seen in any other way than I'm being bummed by how they handled the game and wishing they come back to being the awesome company they used to be.

I mean yes, because you keep repeating that they fucked the fans in hyperbolic terms instead of just admitting that you're upset that it wasn't what you expected.

All the while secretly hoping the game will fail at the detriment of a lot of people just so you can feel better about yourself and your upset. Honestly, it's a childish position to take which is why I asked for clarification.

Raven117

Gold Member
I for one picked it up digitally. First ever 60 dollar retail digital purchase. The reason is that there is always a good reason to pick back up Destiny with expansions and the like. Wanted it where I had a disk in the drive for the new hotness, but Destiny always there.

Any specifics as to why you feel you got fucked over? I plan on getting Destiny 2 on PC release and never played Destiny 1.

Top Bottom