• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Destiny 2 is year's biggest retail launch, but retail down 58% from Destiny 1

Hence the rest of his sentence. He specifically mentions that he's wary of early showings.

Hey, didn't see this earlier, thanks for this post. Not sure why people were so hesitant to account for that latter part of my post.

To answer people asking "Why Anthem?" it's basically because in the promotional leadup to Destiny, what I found myself hoping for was a scifi shooter that captured a greater sense of scale, majesty, however you'd like to phrase it. I don't know where the disconnect came from; it was a while ago now, so I don't know if it was a fault with the promotion or with me, but Destiny did not live up to that expectation.

Anthem, being open-world and having demonstrated extremely interesting mechanics in traversal in particular (free flight!) looks more like what I was hoping for. But again, and I cannot stress this enough, I fully realize it was shown only briefly and that it's an uncertain prospect that the game will deliver.

I didn´t read through all the pages, but... are those numbers reflecting a higher Xbox One attach rate when considering the install bases of each console in the UK?

Using my Destiny 2-playing friends as a sample, I think I can´t find a single person who bought it physical. That said, most of them had also bought Destiny 1 in digital form because of the "buy it on Xbox 360, get it also on Xbox One" opportunity.

Last Xbox and Ps4 installbase numbers for the UK are quite old. Early 2016 with 5.1 million combined.

Erm, yes it is.
No it's not.
US is 1.15:1 in favor of Ps4

UK numbers are old and more of a guessing game and not 100% accurate, but they were estimated to be 1.25:1 at some point back in 2016

Not my post but how so? I've heard this complaint more than once about Destiny

The post makes perfect sense. Lots of Destiny fans defend the lack of matchmaking as if Destiny raids are so complicated that you can't do them with randoms or some dumb reason like that.

It's an old tired excuse to defend Bungies lack of options. And it never really panned out either. When I played most of the D1 content, I ended up doing the raids with randoms and had no issue. But I had to go to a website and waste time finding them instead of an in-game method.

The post makes perfect sense. Lots of Destiny fans defend the lack of matchmaking as if Destiny raids are so complicated that you can't do them with randoms or some dumb reason like that.

It's an old tired excuse to defend Bungies lack of options. And it never really panned out either. When I played most of the D1 content, I ended up doing the raids with randoms and had no issue. But I had to go to a website and waste time finding them instead of an in-game method.

But the in game method is now happening in D2?

If that feature not being there in D1 made you never want to play Destiny every again fair enough say that, but to suggest that you enjoyed D1 but it lacked this key feature that now exists it seems daft to never buy that game if it was something you enjoyed.

But the in game method is now happening in D2?

If that feature not being there in D1 made you never want to play Destiny every again fair enough say that, but to suggest that you enjoyed D1 but it lacked this key feature that now exists it seems daft to never buy that game if it was something you enjoyed.

I was talking mainly about D1. And Guided Games =/= matchmaking. It's great that it's there but it's not the same thing.

auto "press a button" matchmaking would be a complete disaster for raids...pretty much everyone who played a significant amount of D1 agrees on that. It would have a high percentage of people just matching in for fun, or to see what the button did, or doing it 15 minutes before they need to leave for dinner.

The very fact that people had to go to a website, and find an LFG post they liked the look of, immediately filters out a ton of people that would have wasted everyones time.

Raids generally need voice comms for the majority of players (some deaf/mute/shy players make it work via pre-agreed pointing and dancing comms)....again the vast majority of people auto-matchmaking don't have or want voice comms.

None of this has to do with "dumb randoms" or not. As you say quite a lot of LFG groups can be successful, with random players.

Guided games in D2 seems a reasonable middle ground. Letting solo players try out the raid and letting close-to-full teams fill in a blank spot quickly and easily.

Bungie could also have implemented and LFG system in game...but i think they want clans to try and fill some of that gap...plus Xbox has it's own LFG system.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I'm assuming because they've implemented the feature he's requesting so not buying the sequel that introduces a feature you felt was lacking in the original is a little strange.

So Bungie deserve my money for DS2 when I couldn't play DS1 due to design decisions that made no sense from not just my point of view but many many others?

No..
It isn't. Doing raids with random match making would be a nightmare. You need a good team in the raid.

Funny you should say that, I finished vog, crota, Kings fall and wotm with random people I invited from the tower and my twitch chat.

Thus proving your statement is wrong.
Yes the exception proves me wrong, you got me. Thats also not the same. You can converse, see peoples stats, gear in the tower, and get good players.

I don't understand the last part of your post. It's a fact that myself and around 20 guys that I play with bought physical for Destiny 1 in 2014. Every one of us bought digital for Destiny 2. If that big of turnaround happened for myself and 20 friends, a 100% turnaround, I'm guessing there is a much larger digital base this time around.

All my friends who bought D1 didn't buy D2.

black070

Do people think the first Destiny sold 0 copies digitally or something ? Digital sales of both should be considered, not just 2.

Banned
People's faith was shaken with Destiny 1 so this makes sense.

It sounds like the sequel is a great step forward and makes up for its predecessor based on anecdotal evidence from my twitter feed.

Looking forward to the PC version.

cakely

Funny you should say that, I finished vog, crota, Kings fall and wotm with random people I invited from the tower and my twitch chat.

Thus proving your statement is wrong.

Random players you meet in the tower and in twitch chat absolutely does not equal having empty slots in your raid party filled out with random players.

I would love to see a LFG system for Destiny Raids.

I would hate to see "Matchmaking", which is exactly how a Destiny strike currently works.

Par Score

auto "press a button" matchmaking would be a complete disaster for raids...pretty much everyone who played a significant amount of D1 agrees on that. It would have a high percentage of people just matching in for fun, or to see what the button did, or doing it 15 minutes before they need to leave for dinner.
No..
It isn't. Doing raids with random match making would be a nightmare. You need a good team in the raid.

Destiny is far less mechanically complex than even the simplest hotbar based MMO.

Those self-same MMO's have had LFR features for years, and people manage even the highest level content just fine.

Stop excusing Bungie failing to include basic QoL features by parroting their nonsense PR lines.

Do people think the first Destiny sold 0 copies digitally or something ? Digital sales of both should be considered, not just 2.

Pretty much.

joe_zazen

Yes. That was about Destiny: The taken King or the LTD share.

Digital is growing over time and especially backlog sales are mostly digital now. At the launch of Destiny 1 the share was not that high.

As i said, Ubisoft gave numbers for the Watchdogs launch a few months earlier. And the only time even a platform split.
It was roughly 10% for next gen. Ps4 closer to 10% and Xb1 closer to 11%. Last gen was below 10%.
One could argue Destiny was higer because of being a online game and stronger in the US and i agree om that. But i doubt it was above 15% overall.

For you financial modeling forecasting wizards, here is a helpful data point.

Activision has said on earnings conference calls Destiny 1 digital as a percent of total sales was "high-20s%"

Source -> https://twitter.com/firstadopter/status/697923870028906497

Edit:

Lol, forgot the rest of my post. How do you know that is for Taken King and not just Destiny?

Edit:

Lol, forgot the rest of my post. How do you know that is for Taken King and not just Destiny?

because that quote is from early 2016
Destiny TTK released in late 2015
Destiny 1 released in late 2014

So it's EITHER Destiny TTK or Destiny 1 LTD (including TTK) over the course of 1 1/2 years
But definitely not the Destiny 1 release week digital ratio

No..

Yea... no.

Destiny is far less mechanically complex than even the simplest hotbar based MMO.

Those self-same MMO's have had LFR features for years, and people manage even the highest level content just fine.

Stop excusing Bungie failing to include basic QoL features by parroting their nonsense PR lines.

Pretty much. Destiny raids aren't so complex that match making wouldn't work. Just a convenient excuse for Bungie to fall back on.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

This guy gets it. Not a chance I will reward them with my money when I couldn't enjoy the 1st game.

border

Pretty much. Destiny raids aren't so complex that match making wouldn't work. Just a convenient excuse for Bungie to fall back on.

Except that LFR raids are not the highest level of content. They are mechanically easy and dumbed down versions of the highest level of content.

ethomaz

Banned
Complex or not you can't finish Heroic Strikes / Nightfall with randoms... what make some think you can do Raids? lol

Except that LFR raids are not the highest level of content. They are mechanically easy and dumbed down versions of the highest level of content.

And still a match for Destiny complexity wise, so I'm not sure that refutes the point?

Complex or not you can't finish Heroic Strikes / Nightfall with randoms... what make some think you can do Raids? lol

Really? In Destiny 1? I've done both with randoms. Nightfalls much less so depending on what the modifiers were given that some made it really tough. But those were tough even with friends, so...

ethomaz

Banned
Really? In Destiny 1? I've done both with randoms. Nightfalls much less so depending on what the modifiers were given that some made it really tough. But those were tough even with friends, so...
Yeap Destiny 1... how many times I lost my patience with random at that Strike with modified Oger on middle at Heroic playlist.

How many messages I sent to explain the obvious.

Kill3r7

And still a match for Destiny complexity wise, so I'm not sure that refutes the point?

When you say D1 are we talking about Vanilla or TTK? VoG on hard without mics would be an absolute nightmare.

ethomaz

Banned
Another wonderful experience...

Trials with randoms lol

You will know you did something wrong in your life that needs to be paid having nightmares with randoms.

Rourkey

This is a game people plan on playing for a year or more, people are gonna lean digital more than titles they plan on cashing in on for the next game, there Defo feels more hype about this game to me

Kill3r7

Sure, I can imagine. But why would we limit to no mics?

That is the number one issue with solo players. No mics or refusing to talk. I ended up helping a buddy and two randoms did not have a mic. Needless to say it was an absolute disaster. That said, I have beaten Crota plenty of times to know that it is possible with randoms even without mics or speaking a different language.

That said, I think there should be a guided mode once the hard version of the raid comes out. It is important for as many people as possible to enjoy the raid.

Edit:

That was from Activision management at the time during the earnigns call. I doubt it was just for an expansion pack, from my memory it was Destiny 1 the game, probably life time to date.

nelo_inc

Impressive numbers, but Destiny 1 had much more hype linked to it, Sony promote it very well, white PS4 and all.
Also many got disapointed with the game and once burned..

dottme

Impressive numbers, but Destiny 1 had much more hype linked to it, Sony promote it very well, white PS4 and all.
Also many got disapointed with the game and once burned..
I recognize myself here. I bought Destiny 1 day one.
I'm not even looking at most of the news on Destiny 2.

simply put, i don't believe that anybody with experience in destiny raids could honestly say this.

Okay? I have experience in Destiny raids. And raids in countless PC MMOs.

Destiny raids aren't anything special, except in the glitches department I guess. After all, who doesn't love oracles not spawning in VoG? Or not getting the teleport out during Atheons portion? Or having Crota turn invincible due to some backend server shenanigans?

Z3M0G

D2 is a game i would buy digital because it is a long term investment and a game i would load on a whim for quick bursts of play... often through remote play to boot.

Not sure if new thread worthy but Destiny 2 also heavily underperformed in Japan.

It sold 50k.

Destiny 1 was: 50K PS3 and 90K PS4

Another fairly drastic drop.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wouldn't be surprised to see more repeats of this in other countries. I also wouldn't be surprised to see less of a drop/ small increase in the us overall

arevin01

Spending more than an hour to down a boss or a raid is no longer my kind of gaming. I'm not a fan of bullet sponge bosses. I've gotten older and so did all my friends, everyone has kids or full time jobs now, no way to play this sort of grind game anymore.

Top Bottom