• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Destiny 2 is year's biggest retail launch, but retail down 58% from Destiny 1

Even without 360 and PS3, I'm shocked 😲 but at the same time... I feel like D2 will still pick up eventually. I think more people are just more conscious about picking it up after 1 and the burn out. Also because on the surface, the game doesn't look drastically different so maybe aesthetically, the game just brings back bad memories.

Welp I did expect it to be one of the biggest games this year so this is kind of disappointing

angelic

Banned
What does this even mean?

You don't remember when they were talking about public events, how the game wasn't an FPS, was a brand new type of multiplayer, some kind of cross between an MMO and something new.

There was a lot of mystery during the run up to D1, no one was quite sure how it was going to work.

You don't remember when they were talking about public events, how the game wasn't an FPS, was a brand new type of multiplayer, some kind of cross between an MMO and something new.

There was a lot of mystery during the run up to D1, no one was quite sure how it was going to work.
No I don t, and I have no idea what you are talking about.
It works as expected, so what are you getting at? People thought it wasn't a fps?

angelic

Banned
No I don t, and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Well that is what happened.

from the EG review:

For all the countless millions spent on publicity for Bungie's "shared world shooter" Destiny - for all the phrases like "shared world shooter" it has contributed to the video game world's industrious output of meaningless buzzwords - the developer and its publisher Activision have repeatedly failed to communicate exactly what this game is. This is hardly because it is such a novel concept that it has to be experienced to be understood. It's not. It's because they have been reluctant to use the elevator pitch that surely convinced Activision's top brass to open their chequebooks in the first place: "What if World of Warcraft looked and played like Halo?"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-17-destiny-review

Hari Seldon

Yeah I definetely skipped this. I was on the fence but the heavy dlc plans scared me off. I'll wait for some future release with all or most of the dlc already included since I have no desire to grind for loot like I did 10 years ago in WoW.

KageMaru

That's what happens when you fuck over people with your first entry. I'm sure there are plenty like me that aren't jumping in because of the BS they pulled with destiny 1.

Besides I'm sure digital sales have increased since then, though I doubt it made up the gap.

from the EG review:

For all the countless millions spent on publicity for Bungie's "shared world shooter" Destiny - for all the phrases like "shared world shooter" it has contributed to the video game world's industrious output of meaningless buzzwords - the developer and its publisher Activision have repeatedly failed to communicate exactly what this game is. This is hardly because it is such a novel concept that it has to be experienced to be understood. It's not. It's because they have been reluctant to use the elevator pitch that surely convinced Activision's top brass to open their chequebooks in the first place: "What if World of Warcraft looked and played like Halo?"

Lol, none of that has anything to do with what you said

Jumeira

Banned
I have no interest in D1, D2 didnt change that. I was hoping for a solid SP game like Halo/TF but this GaaS route is such a turn off. Feels like its progressed so much that id be overwhelmed with all the new mechanics and continuous evolving environment.

I know its the thing some companies want, but its not for me.

angelic

Banned
I'm certain a lot of people bought it digitally, it's the kind of game you dont want to disc swap to play, if you're a fan you know you're playing it for 3 years. A chart without digital these days is pretty much useless.

angelic

Banned
Lol, none of that has anything to do with what you said

I don't want to be unkind, but are you a bit dim? It's precisely what I said. Activision were calling it a "shared world shooter", comparing it to WOW, and not clarifying what they meant. No one truly knew what Destiny was until it came out. Sorry but if you can't read, I can't discuss it with you.

Champ24

Neo Member
Digital likely makes up the difference, wouldn't look into this too much. Its 2017 yall, people aren't waiting in lines at Gamestop for midnight releases quite like they used to.

I assure you that if retail sales are down by 58% the digital sales are down as well.

Certinty

Doesn't surprise me too much, the first game was hyped like mad and disappointed so many meanwhile for the most part I think this game wasn't cared about much here.

Jingo

Its easy, the game is filled with dlc right from the start, i know i stay the hell out of the way with games like this.

I don't want to be unkind, but are you a bit dim? It's precisely what I said. Activision were calling it a "shared world shooter", comparing it to WOW, and not clarifying what they meant. No one truly knew what Destiny was until it came out. Sorry but if you can't read, I can't discuss it with you, seeya.
Calling it a shared world shooter, doesn't mean people thought it was not an fps. Come on leap of logic? What do you mean no one knew how it would work? What would that have to do with dales? I'm not the dim one here, your projecting. Everyone knew it was an DOS, heck there were two betas.

ethomaz

Banned
Even if you add 50% lol digital and the waiting line of PC users...

It is a huge drop!!!

Bad... really bad.

Of course I can hope it does better outside UK... US for example but that won't change it had a terrible launch in UK.

In the UK the share will not be this high as many have pointed out. The prices here put a stop to that.

People don't need to point anything out to me. I have a plenty firm grasp on the sales side of this industry.

40% even in the UK is not wholly unrealistic. Digital share there is stronger than what GAF proclaims with the constant "digital is more expensive". That doesn't actually affect the digital split as much as people think.

But there is no way around it D2 sold substantially less than the first in the UK

Those are shit numbers for a very good game I must say, but the first was so dull it would have put a lot of people off. I played the first for about a week and sent it back to, if I was actually buying rather than renting, I would not have touched Destiny 2 but glad I did.

I seriously doubt people are waiting for the PC version in large numbers here in the UK, also at £55 for the base game Digital will not have made a huge dent. If it was the good old days of even when UC4 released then I would have said fair enough at Digital sales in other stores making a dent, but not now. UC4 for example was cheap as fuck for me due to the Canadian rate at that time being £1=$2 but unfortunately that ain't the case anymore.

In the UK the share will not be this high as many have pointed out. The prices here put a stop to that.

It's not hard to see that a portion of people that enjoyed the first game see £10 as a negligible one-off cost to save having to change the disc for a then-worthless physical edition over the course of three years. Perhaps not for new buyers but I'd say there's a considerable reason to purchase digitally as a fan of the first.

Tiops

I'm not from UK, but I'm one of the Destiny 1 players that preordered the first game that won't buy D2 (at least for now). It's a shame, really. I really love the game and kinda want to play it, but I'll wait and see how Bungie/Activision will handle future expansions and stuff before giving my money to them.

And really anecdotal, but I didn't find anyone that didn't buy Destiny 1 but was hyped about D2, so I can see this sales trend for the rest of the world too.

Kill3r7

COD is down every year now. FIFA rages on because the UK is football obsessed.

IW still sold over 650K during it's first week last year. So while yes it is down compared to the franchise's peak or even BO3, it is still one of the top dogs.

The digital ratio shouls be decent for this game. That said, this is still a mad shit launch comparatively. I mean the X1 version really didn't pass the last gen versions of D1 by much.

Mafro

from the EG review:

I remember Luke Smith actually had to come into a thread on here to detail what patrols, strikes etc. actually were because their wording was so confusing.

Coxy100

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;248564777 said:
It's not hard to see that a portion of people that enjoyed the first game see £10 as a negligible one-off cost to save having to change the disc for a then-worthless physical edition over the course of three years. Perhaps not for new buyers but I'd say there's a considerable reason to purchase digitally as a fan of the first.

A portion of people yes - but that still won't equate to 50% digital as some people keep saying on here.

shoppers in the UK are looking for a good bargain. We're constantly waiting for deals etc. I just can't see people willing to pay £10 - £15 more on digital purchases. The UK is a special case with digital sales and will always be.

operon

Strange because most of my friends list are playing this. I think people discounting digital copies are forgetting game sharing. A lot of people using xbox that I know are doing this

A portion of people yes - but that still won't equate to 50% digital as some people keep saying on here.

shoppers in the UK are looking for a good bargain. We're constantly waiting for deals etc. I just can't see people willing to pay £10 - £15 more on digital purchases. The UK is a special case with digital sales and will always be.
I'm not going to argue the 50% as honestly I don't know enough about the split to say, but everyone I know from the UK that played D1 has bought D2 digitally – myself included. Anecdotal obviously but just said to prove there is a case for it in the UK. I never buy AAA from PSN without a sale, but Destiny 2 had me getting the Digital Deluxe making it the most expensive game I've ever bought but also the only full-priced AAA title I've ever bought from the PSN store.

The case for digital Destiny for returning players is a lot stronger than most other games. Again, won't argue the numbers or guess what the split is but I know that there's a very strong difference in the thought of buying it for the next three years than there is buying most other AAA titles in the store.

Chobel

Ouch, this is much worse than I thought. Did we get any PR from Activision about Destiny 2 performance?

The ๖ۜBronx;248565785 said:
I'm not going to argue the 50% as honestly I don't know enough about the split to say, but everyone I know from the UK that played D1 has bought D2 digitally – myself included. Anecdotal obviously but just said to prove there is a case for it in the UK. I never buy AAA from PSN without a sale, but Destiny 2 had me getting the Digital Deluxe making it the most expensive game I've ever bought but also the only full-priced AAA title I've ever bought from the PSN store.

The case for digital Destiny for returning players is a lot stronger than most other games. Again, won't argue the numbers or guess what the split is but I know that there's a very strong difference in the thought of buying it for the next three years than there is buying most other AAA titles in the store.

Yes but I'm certain your friends are more inline with yourself.

What the original destiny got in was the casual people walking into the shop and buying it, through advertising and buzz. Its clear that Destiny 2 hasn't and instead of selling in the COD/Battlefront/Battlefield/Fallout echelon of franchises its with the Uncharted/Final fantasy teir. Which noone is saying is bad, but Activision surely have higher goals for it. The Sales of Destiny one seemed to have it on that trajectory of the big franchises, but its not. Big corporates tend not to make sequels with the intention on selling less. And i'm sure this will pan out when we see the sales of the other huge franchises this year, Destiny with be lagging behind, and no Digital sales will change that.

DeviantBoi

Not surprised retail is down.

One guy in my raid group regretted not going digital on Destiny 1. He pre-ordered on PSN this time around.

Arnie

At a digital RRP of £55, in a country typically led on price, the digital impact here is most likely not as big as some are suggesting.

As someone who didn't buy Destiny because of its obvious drawbacks (but am currently loving Destiny 2) it's far more likely that many people believe they understand what Destiny 2 is or isn't, based on the first game.

Thebonehead

Banned
you can all keep mocking the digital comments but Destiny and its community don't work like most other console games. The concurrent users data given by Bungie themselves show a huge launch, so people have to be buying the game from somewhere.
600k users game sharing ;)

Destiny cultivated a hardcore fanbase, but everyone else wised the fuck up.

Wishing Destiny wasn't popular doesn't make it so. The series consistently tops sales charts and did so years after the initial launch hype of vanilla Destiny

I think the key point here is that D2 is down 58% while still being the UK's biggest launch of the year. Games just do not seem to be doing well in that market at the moment

Wishing Destiny wasn't popular doesn't make it so. The series consistently tops sales charts and did so years after the initial launch hype of vanilla Destiny

I think the key point here is that D2 is down 58% while still being the UK's biggest launch of the year. Games just do not seem to be doing well in that market at the moment

Or even better GAF should stop giving meaning to an only retail metric in 2017.

Top Bottom