• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite charts at 12, Pokkén DX at 5

Pokken is a port that was skipped by many. Im not sure why there's shock that it sold well. A s a fighting game, beating a franchise that's played in Evo tho.....that's something. The look of MvCI alone dropped my hype. Really wish they went all the way back to MvC 1 art and just dumped the entire universe in there like a MUGEN game. The series is done and this shouldn't have been its send off.

I know myself and a few others were put off by the shitty roster. I might pick it up cheap if they actually end up putting in X-Men somewhere down the line.

Mugy

I actually think it can bounce back. Also, the market for Eastern made fighting games changed a lot. The game had a lot of bad buzz coming in, but I think that the fact that the game is good might help it on the long run. I'd gladly support this thing buying DLCs and all if Capcom commits to it. I'm that passionate about it right now.

Oh yeah, i think that too, but its just for the fact that, since i didn't perform well at launch in the UK (we gotta see the rest of the world), the game might bomb, and that would be a shame.

Yeah i agree, game lacks game modes, its ugly, with really bad marketing decisions, almost half the characters from UMVC3, best characters being DLC...But gameplay wise, MVCI its amazing, its really good. And that for a fighting game its the important part. The rest of the aspects can be improvised IMHO with time and updates.

It really would be a shame if this game goes back down and we dont see a new MvC game in the following years just because this one sucks really bad in almost every aspect...except gameplay.

After SFV which was a good game but severely lacked content I had no desire to get Marvel at all.

the fact they seem to be doing a similar DLC path as SFV with it didnt help either. also the whole there was an ultimate out 9 months later with 3 didnt help perception.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
For real. It's getting really good buzz and reception at the shows it's been at, so we can only hope. There's a lot more riding on this game than I think Capcom originally intended.
If it reviews it shouldn't perform too.... It will also be important for them to capture a part of the PC audience, this could make or beak the long-term success of MHW. They could become Was EVOLVE hoped it would.

Xenoverse Switch also didn't get on the charts another mega bomba.
Wouldn't call it a bomba ... I don't think Bamco had the same expectations for this title as Capcom had for Marvel.

The numbers of 3rdParty titles charting on Switch in the UK is rather low to begin with... Considering how cheap the game was already on other systems I don't think people expected strong week 1 sales on Switch in that region.

Also launching the same week as MvC and Pokken probably wasn't the smartest move.

Oh yeah, i think that too, but its just for the fact that, since i didn't perform well at launch in the UK (we gotta see the rest of the world), the game might bomb, and that would be a shame.

Yeah i agree, game lacks game modes, its ugly, with really bad marketing decisions, almost half the characters from UMVC3, best characters being DLC...But gameplay wise, MVCI its amazing, its really good. And that for a fighting game its the important part. The rest of the aspects can be improvised IMHO with time and updates.

It really would be a shame if this game goes back down and we dont see a new MvC game in the following years just because this one sucks really bad in almost every aspect...except gameplay.

the onus is on capcom though...not the people not buying it.

Bazry

So a cardboard box (i think its cardboard anyway) with a download code for a VC Pokemon game, pretty much sold as much as MvCI on PS4 at launch

Holy shit

Did the game lack content like SFV?
No, its more likely due to a combo of almost zero marketing, whatever marketing they had being asinine and the presentation being utter shite. Capcom couldn't even be bothered to showcase some cool features the game has, the entire narrative of the game was based around awful looking story mode cutscenes that made the game look like a no budget cash in - which it probably is.

Pooya

Having your Marvel licensed game bombing like this is going to hurt a lot for them. With how SFV turned out too, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom fighters meet the axe.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wow, being Pokken a "remaster/update/whatever", available on 1 console only, with an install base still smaller than the competition, Marvel + Capcom really disappoints. I would have thought the MARVEL license would have been a key factor in the west...I was wrong, at leas for its UK debut

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If they use this as a reason not to port FighterZ then, I won't even know what to say. I don't even care for a FighterZ Switch port myself as I'll be buying elsewhere, but this Xenoverse 2 port was doomed to fail given the fact that it's retailing at £49.99+ and FighterZ is receiving so much hype.

and still sold out in Japan (public apology from Bandai the same day it released on the market) and is very high on various eShop charts (France and US for sure)

Sadly this means less money for an already struggling Capcom to make DmC5. The best we can hope for now is for.. actually there's no hope :(

I'm surprised MS/Sony/Nintendo hasn't approached them with a serious investment for another "Capcom Five" to try and help them along in exchange for some nice timed exclusives. Capcom is sat on some incredible IP.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Holy shit I'm cackling at this. I would say Capcom didn't deserve this but my god they really did. Almost everything about that looked like ass which is quite an accomplishment considering its predecessors. Pokken didn't even look that amazing either being a simple port with updated roster etc, but it didn't look that bad

PantsuJo

Holy shit I'm cackling at this. I would say Capcom didn't deserve this but my god they really did. Almost everything about that looked like ass which is quite an accomplishment considering its predecessors. Pokken didn't even look that amazing either being a simple port with updated roster etc, but it didn't look that bad
This.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Did the game lack content like SFV?

It's quite the opposite. The visual art style, roster and bad first impressions hurts themselves in a long run.

I knew it would bombs because marketing was pretty sparse out there and they just seems not sure what to do with it at launch.

The gameplay actually considered one of best gameplay in the franchise. What a shame.

NotLiquid

Its a shame that Capcom bunglefucked MvCI so hard from a presentational standpoint. Actually playing it, it's quickly become my favorite fighting game. I hope they can put in the effort to make it bounce back because the tournaments that were had this week were insane and at this point I just want whats best for this game. There's some incredible quality that the bureaucratic sides of Marvel and Capcom just serve to undermine.

Trickster

MvCI sales are a sad thing. If fighting game's success relied purely on their gameplay then MvCI would have had amazing sales.

Of course that's not how things actually work. Presentation and production values are equally important, if not more so when it comes to actually selling your game. And in these areas, Capcom just completely blew it with this game.

So Capcom to go bankrupt soon or double down on mobile.

Hard to do much on mobile since they haven't had a single success story in that area yet. They're reaping the benefits of their last 3 fighters being ass (SFxTK, SFV, and now MvC:I), without anything else to fall back on really. It wouldn't be overly dramatic to say MH World will decide their fate.

blakep267

MvCI sales are a sad thing. If fighting game's success relied purely on their gameplay then MvCI would have had amazing sales.

Of course that's not how things actually work. Presentation and production values are equally important, if not more so when it comes to actually selling your game. And in these areas, Capcom just completely blew it with this game.
Id also add robust single player options. Injustice 2 has the multiverse which continually has new things to do. The AInbattle simulator. Tons of cosmetics etc.

silva1991

It's quite the opposite. The visual art style, roster and bad first impressions hurts themselves in a long run.

I knew it would bombs because marketing was pretty sparse out there and they just seems not sure what to do with it at launch.

The gameplay actually considered one of best gameplay in the franchise. What a shame.

The opposite. Capcom is a fucking mess.

Oregano

If they use this as a reason not to port FighterZ then, I won't even know what to say. I don't even care for a FighterZ Switch port myself as I'll be buying elsewhere, but this Xenoverse 2 port was doomed to fail given the fact that it's retailing at £49.99+ and FighterZ is receiving so much hype.

Also not including the DLC and you know... Releasing on the same day as the Pokemon fighting game.... Which Bamco also developed.

Top Bottom