• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Marvel vs Capcpom: Infinite charts at 12, Pokkén DX at 5

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Usually I would think a title like MvC would have legs and sell for a while since it's a big and popular brand.. But after SFV I don't know of this will happen. Seems like outside of the core audience people just don't care for the Capcom fighters right now.

They really need to take some time to rethink their approach for the next title... Unless they can deliver something that people talk about and wanna Playa asap like Injustice2 or DB FighterZ... Don't even bother. The market is brutal right now.
So Capcom to go bankrupt soon or double down on mobile.
whynotboth.gif

Tencent might pick them up soon... Their IPs still have value even Capcom is messing up a lot nowadays.

Capcom did everything right with RE7 and MHW in my eyes, rest they borked really hard. I bet these failures will have or had an effect on those two games.

Trickster

Id also add robust single player options. Injustice 2 has the multiverse which continually has new things to do. The AInbattle simulator. Tons of cosmetics etc.

I kinda considered that to fall under production values, but yeah, absolutely. The story mode and other single player content which are actually well done (unlike in MvCI) are probably the biggest reasons for why NRS fighting games sell as much as they do. Because god knows it aint the gameplay

liquidtmd

Banned
MvCI sales are a sad thing. If fighting game's success relied purely on their gameplay then MvCI would have had amazing sales.

Of course that's not how things actually work. Presentation and production values are equally important, if not more so when it comes to actually selling your game. And in these areas, Capcom just completely blew it with this game.

I really was hesitant about buying Day 1 as Capcom obviously want to use it as a heavy DLC vehicle and they really screwed it presentation wise, but gameplay wise it's an absolute joy.

Do people in the UK play Marvel that much to begin with? Probably didn't do too well elsewhere too but still.

This was supposed to be the game to make Marvel mainstream though. If they didn't play it before then this was the game accessible enough to change that.

AND THEY SHAT IT

Marvel would have been better off pursuing a pure Marvel fighter, the value of the MvC name has been greatly exaggerated and the Capcom brand has never meant less.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Do people in the UK play Marvel that much to begin with? Probably didn't do too well elsewhere too but still.

UK isn't a big market for fighting games but if you can't outsell (or even come close to) a switch exclusive in the UK on the two most dominant platforms you have major problems. Like seriously massive.

Oregano

Capcom did everything right with RE7 and MHW in my eyes, rest they borked really hard. I bet these failures will have or had an effect on those two games.

The problem they have with RE7 is that it still underperformed despite the quality of the game.

The challenge with MHW is that needs to basically become their flagship brand in the west now. It can definitely happen but it won't be easy.

Mvc is the first Capcom fighting game (outside of ultra sf2) in many years that I didn't buy day one b that roster is fucking awful and the lack of legacy stick support is making me wait for a sale.

MvsC3 is one of my favorite games of all time and i haven't even considered getting MvsC:I until it drops to somewhere around 20$.
For a sequel that came 6 years later it's unbeliavable how inferior it looks to it's predecessor. Not surprised at all that it's bombed hard.
If you liked MvC3, you should check out the other predecessors to it while you wait. I watched my boyfriend play X-men Vs Street Fighter on our Trinitron TV. Game is still gorgeous and plays so smooth.

So no chance of Dragon Ball Fighter Z on Switch ?

It's greatly exceeding expectations in Japan which is good.

Releasing day and date with Pokken elsewhere wasn't a good idea either. For context, the boxed version of Xenoverse 2 charted behind 1-2-Switch last week at number 9 on the Switch charts. Out of the 139 pieces of Switch software available on the eShop, only 22 are boxed games released to UK retail.

It doesn't seem to be in short supply in the UK either, Xenoverse 2 on Switch is in stock at the usual retailers. Compare that to, say, Puyo Tetris, which launched same day as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, had a digital version on Switch (no digital on PS4), and still managed to sell 75% of copies on Switch while being £15 more expensive than PS4. It was sold out at nearly every retailer as well in the launch period.

shaowebb

Casuals are where the moneys at but they dont care about mechanics so they go by what it looks like, single playet modes, unlockables,and roster.

Well they added a story but its short so mixed bag improvement there. Might not have been big enough to matter to casuals. Only modes are that, online, missions (which casuals hate combo modes), and an arcade mode with no endings so no real incentive to play it save for color unlocks, anf presentation wise its body language shaders and proportions are bargain bin tier. All that and a roster thats less exciting than its preedecessor with few new faces even with how many were cut. Plus all the dlc is over in 3 months making folks feel like they are forced to pay 90 for what should have been base content at 60.

MVCI just presented itself as a cash grab done cheap. It just never screamed value to casuals and even its core audience feels this way in spite of loving its hype.

It shouldnt have released this early imo, but this is the best time to release given it needed holiday sales for this quarter and also it has little direct market competition right now. If it hit later it wouldve had to compete with other titles and I think they wanted to avoid that pretty badly.

Its hype but its a bad value and its numbers show that folks could tell.

liquidtmd

Banned
If you liked MvC3, you should check out the other predecessors to it while you wait. I watched my boyfriend play X-men Vs Street Fighter on our Trinitron TV. Game is still gorgeous and plays so smooth.

Hell, due to their cartoon stylings I can still play X-Men COTA just fine

I'm done with modern Capcom fighting games.

I'm ready for the GOAT: Fighting Layer EX.

(Sadly it will sell poorly too)

It'll at least have the benefit of not being part of an established brand. Plus the devs have already said it's a passion project and profitability isn't a concern.

SFV, Tekken 7, Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2 are all bigger... Even Pokken WiiU is bigger if that count!

Pokken WiiU is only at 1 million worldwide, which is lower than ARMS' latest total.

Eh, we got a port of 3 to PC out of it and now DBFZ is on the way. We'll live

^ Pretty much. Won't miss it one bit if it's made like this.

I'm a huge old MvC fan. But I sure don't buy these games when they hide the characters I want behind DLC.

Capcom might have forgotten, but part of the appeal is the fan service ability to play as the Marvel and Capcom characters you love.

They're gonna reuse tons of MvC3 stuff but still cut down on the roster AND lock cool characters (Black Panther) behind DLC?

Whew. Screw right off Capcom.

Hell, due to their cartoon stylings I can still play X-Men COTA just fine

I envy those who had a Saturn for that era. All of those fighting games on it look amazing. Some of my favorite art styles come from that era. 😭😭😭😭😭😭. Makes me wish MVCi art was better. I certainly wasn’t feeling that art style at all— though I wasn’t a fan of 3s by a long stretch.

J@hranimo

Banned
This was supposed to be the game to make Marvel mainstream though. If they didn't play it before then this was the game accessible enough to change that.

AND THEY SHAT IT

UK isn't a big market for fighting games but if you can't outsells (or even come close to) a switch exclusive in the UK on the two most dominant platforms you have major problems. Like seriously massive.

These are both true posts. A little surprised Pokken DX sold like it did there too, but that's a tad off topic.

Good luck Capcom. Roster is really weak with most of the new content locked behind DLC. Not a good look and many are aware of their previous fuckups in other fighting games.

Casuals are where the moneys at but they dont care about mechanics so they go by what it looks like, single playet modes, unlockables,and roster.

Well they added a story but its short so mixed bag improvement there. Might not have been big enough to matter to casuals. Only modes are that, online, missions (which casuals hate combo modes), and an arcade mode with no endings so no real incentive to play it save for color unlocks, anf presentation wise its body language shaders and proportions are bargain bin tier. All that and a roster thats less exciting than its preedecessor with few new faces even with how many were cut. Plus all the dlc is over in 3 months making folks feel like they are forced to pay 90 for what should have been base content at 60.

MVCI just presented itself as a cash grab done cheap. It just never screamed value to casuals and even its core audience feels this way in spite of loving its hype.

It shouldnt have released this early imo, but this is the best time to release given it needed holiday sales for this quarter and also it has little direct market competition right now. If it hit later it wouldve had to compete with other titles and I think they wanted to avoid that pretty badly.

Its hype but its a bad value and its numbers show that folks could tell.

I agree with this tbh.

The most critical thing I could say on a personal level is, after SFV, I have so little desire to play this game I wouldn't even request it as a Christmas present.

MrCarter

For real. It's getting really good buzz and reception at the shows it's been at, so we can only hope. There's a lot more riding on this game than I think Capcom originally intended.

Yeah it seems there is a lack of consistency between divisions at Capcom. Monster Hunter and Resident Evil teams really know what they are doing in terms of providing an overall package however it seems like thier fighting game division doesn’t have a clue.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
SFV, Tekken 7, Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2 are all bigger... Even Pokken WiiU is bigger if that count!

Doesn't it need to sell almost as much as it already did to pass SFV?!

SFV as at 1.7 million shipped Arms is at 1.18 which it shipped within it's first two weeks it needs to ship over 500k to beat it. Do-able but only if it didn't straight up die worldwide after release which may well have happened.

cw_sasuke

Anyone remember if USF2 charted in the UK?

even SFV is bigger than Arms, atm.

Arms was at 1.18 million units shipped 2 months ago. But it's dropped from charts very fast.
Even? SFV has been out for ages on PS4/PC and had a bunch of (bomba) sales. ARMS is the new unproven IP on a console with a very small userbase.

Just shows how well ARMS or bad SFV did all things considered.

dracula_x

Even? SFV has been out for ages on PS4/PC and had a bunch of (bomba) sales. ARMS is the new unproven IP on a console with a very small userbase.

Just shows how well ARMS or bad SFV did all things considered.

So? That doesn't mean anything. See Destiny, Splatoon, etc., for example.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not much, I think.

Nintendo overshipped it. For example:

Japan – 221.700 LTD (end of Sep)
NPD first month – > 250,000

So I'm not even sure that the initial shipment is sold out yet.

Japan Ltd is well over 250k since it had over 30k digital at launch so it's outsold it's Japanese intial shipment so they've shipped more there but I think in general you may be right

cw_sasuke

So? That doesn't mean anything. See Destiny, Splatoon, etc., for example.
It doesn't mean anything that one game is called Street Fighter and has been available for 2 years on PS4/PC and had multiple sales in that time frame...

Vs.

ARMS a new IP that has been out for 3 months on a system with a sub 5m userbase.

Erm okay... Seems quite relevant to me when comparing the performance of both titles.
Looks like Ultra Street Fighter II had a better launch in the UK... https://twitter.com/Chris_Dring/status/912271961610387456
lol... I cant.

....someone update the thread title please.

Top Bottom