• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Parliament Vote to trigger Article 50 (498 - 144)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MP's cast their votes to trigger article 50 this evening, and boy is Labour in for a blood bath. 144 MPs voted against the motion, many of them being from the Labour party (20% of Labour). This went against Jeremy's Corbyn's 3 line whip.

MPs have voted by a majority of 384 to allow Prime Minister Theresa May to get Brexit negotiations under way.

They backed the government's European Union Bill, supported by the Labour leadership, by 498 votes to 114.

But the SNP, Plaid Cymru and the Liberal Democrats opposed the bill, while 47 Labour MPs and Tory ex-chancellor Ken Clarke rebelled.
The bill now faces further scrutiny in the Commons and the House of Lords before it can become law.

The prime minister has set a deadline of 31 March for invoking Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, getting official talks with the EU started. The bill returns to the Commons next week.

BBC Link

Full details of the Labour rebellion

Here are the key figures that show the size of the Labour rebellion tonight.

• 47 Labour MPs defied the whip and voted against the article 50 bill on second reading. That's 20% of the parliamentary party.

• Three members of the shadow cabinet resigned so that the could vote against the bill. They are: Jo Stevens, the shadow Welsh secretary, Rachael Maskell, the shadow environment secretary, and Dawn Butler, shadow minister for BME communities.

• Four frontbenchers resigned so they could vote against the bill. They are the three shadow cabinet ministers and Tulip Siddiq, who was shadow early years minister.

• Another 10 shadow ministers voted against the bill but so far have not resigned. The nine shadow ministers are: Kevin Brennan (culture), Ruth Cadbury (housing), Alan Whitehead (energy), Rupa Huq (crime prevention), Stephen Pound (Northern Ireland), Andy Slaughter (housing), Catherine West (Foreign Office), Daneil Zeichner (transport), Rosena Allin-Khan (culture) and Lyn Brown (policing).

• And three whips also voted against bull but have so far not resigned. They are Thangam Debonnaire, Vicky Foxcroft and Jeff Smith.

• [*]A total of 17 Labour frontbenchers (shadow ministers and whips) either resigned over the vote or defied the whip.

Guardian Live Update

giphy.gif

Morat

Banned
Fuck all the cowards who know what they are doing is stupid and wrong, but bowed to idiot populism.

faridmon

Labour going against the population even harder than the Tories have done in this campaign.

You can't make up this shit!

pulsemyne

Labour are fucking useless

Dat three line Corbyn whip. Also Diana Abbott said she felt ill and left at 5pm, so she never voted. Must be tough representing one of the biggest remain constituencies in the UK while also agreeing with everything Corbyn does. Very convenient that illness....

Maledict

Dat three line Corbyn whip. Also Diana Abbott said she felt ill and left at 5pm, so she never voted. Must be tough representing one of the biggest remain constituencies in the UK while also agreeing with everything Corbyn does. Very convenient that illness....

What a cowardly piece of shit she is.

Xando

Good.
Rather have the Brits leave sooner rather than later.

I'd like the EU to move on to more pressing things.

MPs who voted for this but whose constituency voted to remain should resign for having no spine. 3-Line whip or no.
Looking at you Clive Lewis.

Well thats it then. We'll have no trade deal and be absolutely fucked in two years.

Hope the country burns to the ground. Maybe even not metaphorically

Thanks for the show of support to the people who didn't want to leave. Really makes this feel so much better for me.

Oh no I feel for you guys.

But your politics for awhile now even within the EU was to undermine it, at least that's how I saw it.

Even with all the privileges the UK had, you still wanted a "better deal" as if that was the point of the EU.

Maybe now if France and Germany managed to elect sane leader we could move forward as a more tight union.

Talents

Banned
People are acting as if they didn't know this was gonna happen? We knew this is what was gonna happen since the vote last year.

pashmilla

Banned
I'm glad I still have my EU passport along with UK citizenship so potentially all of Europe is open to me. Any suggestions for places where right-wing nationalism isn't boiling over? :(

Mr-Joker

Banned
Corbyn is a spineless idiot and wasting no time in bending backwards in kissing May's butt, I will never vote for Labour as long he is in charge.

Hope that Britain gets a good deal or Scotland goes independent.

Good.
Rather have the Brits leave sooner rather than later.

I'd like the EU to move on to more pressing things.

Happy to see the UK are finally gonna leave us.

I hope this shitshow will not last much longer.

You are aware that this affect people living within the EU and might be forced to go back home because the UK left the EU?

I'm glad I still have my EU passport along with UK citizenship so potentially all of Europe is open to me. Any suggestions for places where right-wing nationalism isn't boiling over? :(

sweden is sort of ok for now, though we're having some problems with nationalist terrorists, and the moderate party just started appeasing the racist party so maybe not for much longer :/

Garjon

I've defended him in the past but now I just want to say Fuck Corbyn. He's a useless, spineless worm who has let Theresa May get away with decisions that will make the poorest and most vulnerable far worse off all to satiate some pathetic 70s-esque ideology and to keep his Stalin-supporting spin doctor happy. Also, fuck 'the will of the people', the people know shit, that's why we elect politicians.

Regardless of how we end up once the Brexit dust has settled, this idiotic referendum has created divisions right across the country, sewn bitterness and resentment between friends and family - this will be the lasting legacy of the referendum.

Nerazar

And off you go!

No, it's really better to deal with the issue and maybe re-enter the EU in 2030 or something. Now May can show off her negotiation skills and how hard she can be while having almost no leverage against the collective economic power of the EU.

Or even a "United" Kingdom to begin with - Scotland, we welcome you.

Protome

I hope this impacts Labour the way cozying up to the Tories hit the Lib Dems. Maybe a few years of being completely irrelevant rather than second biggest but useless would fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom