• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF |OT3| - Strong and Stable Government? No. Coalition Of Chaos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Par Score

That moron just turned a flat nonentity of a speech which would have barely gotten a forced 5 second standing ovation into something approaching a May tour de force. It's literally the only thing which would have gotten the crowd involved.

Are we watching the same speech?

She can barely talk.

This is the worst conference speech by a sitting PM in living memory. Hell, this is probably the worst conference speech by a party leader since IDS.

The money shot:
DLSl6xAWAAAna4T.jpg

kmag

Are we watching the same speech?

She can barely talk.

This is the worst conference speech by a sitting PM in living memory. Hell, this is probably the worst conference speech by a party leader since IDS.

To be fair, I posted that before her voice gave way.

DLSiVUHVoAIR3ep.jpg

This is the sort of joke that does lasting damage.

FWIW I agree with pretty much everything CyclopsRock says about free markets above, but I think it's important to consider that neither nationalisation or private ownership are automatically better for any given industry. All nationalisation is is the government owning a company that does something, rather than a private investor or something. Trains don't run faster or more efficiently because they're nationalised, they do so because they are well run and have good amounts of investment for growth and maintenance. An industry can be nationalised and well run, or owned by Virgin and well run.

Uzzy

£2bn extra for housing eh. How many more houses is that a year? Who's going to be building them? Where are they being built?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why they even bother. You know their plans mean nothing and they scrap or change things in an instant. It's pathetic really.

kmag

Her voice is dragging down this speech, well that and the content.

She needs to be more optimistic that her throat will get better.

Hearing the woman behind the Yarls Wood coverup and the "go home" vans quoting Jo Cox and saying "intolerance has no place in her party" makes me hope she carks it live on stage tbh. Scumbag

Par Score

And this is why Kuenssberg can't remain as a BBC political correspondent.

When the PM is using you to attack the opposition, you can have no claim to impartiality.

Hazzuh

The f on "for everyone" behind May just fell off looool

And this is why Kuenssberg can't remain as a BBC political correspondent.

When the PM is using you to attack the opposition, you can have no claim to impartiality.

So you're saying its her fault that she needs a bodyguard? Ridiculous.

Uzzy

I know it's not her fault that she's got a cough and her voice is going, but comparing this to Boris' speech yesterday is like night and day.

Hazzuh

Didn't assign blame.

But you can't work as the BBC's political correspondent, an organisation which has a mandate for impartiality, when the PM is using you to attack the opposition.

It's untenable.

Sorry but that is a load of tosh. Its the Labour party that needs to make a change, not the BBC.

Jackpot

Banned
Didn't assign blame.

But you can't work as the BBC's political correspondent, an organisation which has a mandate for impartiality, when the PM is using you to attack the opposition.

It's untenable.

So if any political party attacks a journalist they don't like then the journalist has to lose their job?

Par Score

So if any political party attacks a journalist they don't like then the journalist has to lose their job?

No. That's not what happened.

Kuenssberg was not attacked. Labour were attacked USING Kuenssberg.

Kuenssberg has become a tool for the Conservatives. That should make her position at the BBC, an organisation with a mandate for impartiality, untenable.

Yeah I don't think it's a reason for Laura to step down. I've never hugely cared for her but it's not the reason to.

Agreed. That said, she should've been given her marching orders for the hatchet job on Corbyn (the heavily edited interview). That clearly made her position untenable, in my opinion. I'm surprised any Labour MPs even agree to interviews with her after that.

I had to pop out, what did she say?

EDIT: quoting Jo Cox to milk applause is scummy even for her

Oh, and to answer this, stuff like announcing the raise on tuition fees would be scrapped, while the salary at which you start paying back would be raised to £25k. Apologies if we already knew about this stuff from being announced previously, but it stuck out to me as someone who's just finished their course. Like, the intended appeal was blatant.

Agreed. That said, she should've been given her marching orders for the hatchet job on Corbyn (the heavily edited interview). That clearly made her position untenable, in my opinion. I'm surprised any Labour MPs even agree to interviews with her after that.

Yeah exactly, but then again if Nick Robinson survived as long as he did while also being a shitarse I suppose it's only fair she gets to too

kmag

Yeah I don't think it's a reason for Laura to step down. I've never hugely cared for her but it's not the reason to.

To be honest, she was more pro-Tory as an interviewer on Newsnight than she is as political correspondent. She's had some missteps, and some of her editorialising betrays her own political leanings, but compared to some other BBC chief political correspondents she's not exactly terrible.

The BBC political journalists are all from the same socio-economic and educational background, and that background tends to be the exact same one which produces Tory Mp's so it's not surprising they tend to have similar politics. It's a cultural issue at the BBC more than anything.

Oh, and to answer this, stuff like announcing the raise on tuition fees would be scrapped, while the salary at which you start paying back would be raised to £25k. Apologies if we already knew about this stuff from being announced previously, but it stuck out to me as someone who's just finished their course. Like, the intended appeal was blatant.

Announce no Brexit and I'd vote Conservative. Maybe. Probably still Lib Dem in my safe as houses seat, but that's the level of pledge they need to put out to win me over (20s, university graduate, renting, employed).

That said, it's nice that young people are now a demographic that parties are interested in targeting.

kmag

What do either of those things have to do with the way Labour supporters treat Laura Kuenssberg ? Or do you guys think the way sites like the Canary treat her is OK?

It's not a problem for the Labour party alone, the entire political discourse in this country (like in a few others) is completely out of whack at the moment. Social media has a lot to do with it, and given the Labour age profile it's not surprising they're badly affected by it, but this is far more than an issue with Labour and Laura Kuessenberg.

To be honest, she was more pro-Tory as an interviewer on Newsnight than she is as political correspondent. She's had some missteps, and some of her editorialising betrays her own political leanings, but compared to some other BBC chief political correspondents she's not exactly terrible.

The BBC political journalists are all from the same socio-economic and educational background, and that background tends to be the exact same one which produces Tory Mp's so it's not surprising they tend to have similar politics. It's a cultural issue at the BBC more than anything.

All fair comments. I these days find I just don't care for her analysis, in the way I care a bit more what Peston thinks in the same position at ITV. Apparently she pops up on the BBC's Brexitcast occasionally and she comes across well.

If there were a real issue they need to tackle it's the Today programme, which is just unrelentingly shite.

kmag

Jim Pickard‏
@PickardJE
May team admit to press huddle that extra social housing money will build 25k homes over 5 years - so 5k a year.

It's fucking nothing.gif

Hazzuh

It's not a problem for the Labour party alone, the entire political discourse in this country (like in a few others) is completely out of whack at the moment. Social media has a lot to do with it, and given the Labour age profile it's not surprising they're badly affected by it, but this is far more than an issue with Labour and Laura Kuessenberg.

And I'll happily condemn the Conservative party whenever they are silent on smears or lies spread by the tabloids, in this case we're talking about the Labour leadership's failure to condemn left-wing blogs like the Canary smearing Laura Kuessenberg.

I've not got an issue with anyone the BBC employs for politics reporting other than Andrew Neil - the notion that a centrist and broadly non-political org like the Beeb secretly lets biased journalists get away with murder is something for fantasists. Even Neil reigns it in - his major crime is regularly being belittling towards Lib Dem guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom