• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I only listen to the radio in the car/workplace fuck listening to the radio in my free time, that shit would remind me of work way to much. Mind you im a real radio fanboy.

Insomnia I cant get no sleep.

Meadows

Banned
Just started a translation business with the missus. Because all the best businesses were started at midnight on a Saturday night.

SteveWD40

Polo shirt and jeans! the good weather has fucked off :( can't even wear my cargo shorts today.

i usually cut my own hair (shave it all off every 3 weeks or so.) so today im deciding to go to the barbers.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/05/20/rediscovering-the-barbershop/

Damn right. Barber shops are where it's at, worst thing about living in Australia for a year (Sydney) was it was either $5 haircuts from Chinese barbers who could only do a crew cut or $50 unisex salons where all the metrosexuals went for their faux hawks.

There is a great one in Manchester on Princes street, the guy is a Glaswegian in his 60's and I could chew the fat with him all day about politics. The only other one is Close (they have 2) and although it goes for the rustic barbershop look it's actually more like a salon but just for men, last time I went there a 19 year old girl did my hair who moonlighted as a podium dancer in a club, that conversation made me feel about 100 years old.

Salazar

This will be me very soon.

So sick of economics. Want it to die.

I have to do some kind of coursework sidecar to the Ph.D. program - which isn't in itself problematic, and will actually keep me happily busy - but the thing is being run by a bunch of twats who think that "abstaining from natural acts of interpretation" when someone puts a literary text in front of you somehow puts you on a higher critical level. Instinct-denying latte-sipping cunts.

Kentpaul

Damn right. Barber shops are where it's at, worst thing about living in Australia for a year (Sydney) was it was either $5 haircuts from Chinese barbers who could only do a crew cut or $50 unisex salons where all the metrosexuals went for their faux hawks.

There is a great one in Manchester on Princes street, the guy is a Glaswegian in his 60's and I could chew the fat with him all day about politics. The only other one is Close (they have 2) and although it goes for the rustic barbershop look it's actually more like a salon but just for men, last time I went there a 19 year old girl did my hair who moonlighted as a podium dancer in a club, that conversation made me feel about 100 years old.

how do barbers deal with quiet gentleman ? I don't really shoot the breeze with strangers much when I'm sober.

Kentpaul

My barber just gets on with it. So refreshing after so many years of awful chat when I went to some naff salon.

Its not like cab drivers were you can get away with asking them when they started, when they finished and if they have been busy.

I'l have a coffee before i go into the barbers encase i need to shoot the shit. I will be ready.

I'm not particularly good with haircuts. Went in and they were like "What would you like?"

I said "I'd like to leave here with less hair than I walked in with?"

They were not amused.

SteveWD40

how do barbers deal with quiet gentleman ? I don't really shoot the breeze with strangers much when I'm sober.

Yeah they just get on with it, some are lesse chatty themselves. The only ones I can't stand are the "you must have opinions on Football!" philistines.

Always struggle finding a barber who cuts my hair the way I like it. They always seem to cut it too short. Went to the barbers in the Man Uni precinct last time and they did a great job.

Salazar

Always struggle finding a barber who cuts my hair the way I like it. They always seem to cut it too short.

Yeah, I think there's a central (and reputable) ethic of seeing you right for a while before you have to come back. At least, in distinction from salon hairdressers, who are acclimatised to the whims of ladies who just want little things tidied up or washed or recoloured.

Kentpaul

Sitting in a chill little bar (sportsters) Scottish gaffers will know the place. Having a Guinness with my burger to prepare for the barber trip I'm still holding off. I made it to the doors of one barbers before leaving because it was to busy.

Kentpaul

I am in the barbers. A conversion about petrol prices is underway. Lil Wayne is playing. Here we go fellas!

Kentpaul

Which song?

I have no idea. Now a conversation about cars is underway. Im Next :/ oh dear. There is hair everywhere I feel I'll help gaf. If all goes well I will make this place my regular. 2 brothers and a father are getting there hair cut fuck ma life

Kentpaul

I've never wished anyone 'best of luck' on a haircut before but here it seems almost appropriate to.

My hair grows like a thick fuzzy Afro so I have no idea what to expect. I'm next guys.

What the fuck the barber has small talk for any topic the dude getting his hair cut starts.

A regular has just walked in so I won't be in silence with the barber when I get my hair cut!

Edit all I well I look awesome with some shape in my head

Suairyu

Banned
Making small talk with barbers and hairdressers is always rubbish. They never have anything of worth to say and you never have anything you particularly want to share with them. My tactic is just to let them talk about their lives, asking a question every now and again to keep them going. These days, all my regular 'dresser talks about is her bricky boyfriend who is on and off the dole more than me. So, so dull.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Have you guys tried this yet?
philadelphia.jpg

Mum just picked some up at the supermarket, fucking heavenly.

Making small talk with barbers and hairdressers is always rubbish. They never have anything of worth to say and you never have anything you particularly want to share with them. My tactic is just to let them talk about their lives, asking a question every now and again to keep them going. These days, all my regular 'dresser talks about is her bricky boyfriend who is on and off the dole more than me. So, so dull.

I cut my own hair, no annoying barbers to deal with.

Chinner

Banned
i know a good place where they acutally cut your hair good, the people inside are chill and the music/astmos is relaxed. no doubt kentpaul is getting his hair cut by his local drug dealer.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I think at this stage my barbers have gave up on getting any kind of conversation out of me.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Barber conversations always a pain if it's a girl too;
"Oh so are you at Uni?"
"Aye yeah in Newcastle"

and then it's either about the nightlife or

"So what do you do?"
"Computer Science"
"Ohh so are you right good with computers then? I was never good with them computers or maths me."

No shit.

Maybe I just go to some exceptionally nice barbers, but I can always have a chat with them about uni / work / holidays / current affairs if we're all up for it, and if they can tell I'd rather just sit there in silence for whatever reason, they don't push things. Awesome people.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Barber conversations always a pain if it's a girl too;
"Oh so are you at Uni?"
"Aye yeah in Newcastle"

and then it's either about the nightlife or

"So what do you do?"
"Computer Science"
"Ohh so are you right good with computers then? I was never good with them computers or maths me."

No shit.

And then they ask you if you know whats wrong with their laptop.

Meadows

Banned
i know a good place where they acutally cut your hair good, the people inside are chill and the music/astmos is relaxed. no doubt kentpaul is getting his hair cut by his local drug dealer.

Remedy?

I used to go to City Gents in Leeds city centre but it wasn't worth the £18 in the end.

Now I go to the most "ladish" barbers in York called 'Crew'. There's a PS3 with FIFA on and they all play and have the most ludicrous 'banter' while I'm getting my hair cut. Free beer with a cut though and it's only £12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom