• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my teens I worked at Iceland. Fucking loved it. And it was the place I met a lot of my close friends.
I worked at Iceland, Asda, Sainsbury's, Safeway, Co-Op and Spar... not all at the same time. :)

I reckon Asda was the best of all of them though. Much better team spirit, plus I was generally working twilight / nights which meant very little interaction with customers.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I worked at Iceland, Asda, Sainsbury's, Safeway, Co-Op and Spar... not all at the same time. :)

I reckon Asda was the best of all of them though. Much better team spirit, plus I was generally working twilight / nights which meant very little interaction with customers.

backshift in the warehouse does the trick for me

i'm never up early and i can stay up as late as i want.

Using a Kanye West lyric on the acknowledgement page of my dissertation because I'm a fucking baller

I've come across a couple that have had awful passages of literature/lyrics. I'm thinking of going hip and choosing something in a foreign language. What's you're dissertation on?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Kanye west Monster.. that was the best days ever, no job, halo reach, a nice warm scottish summer! with kanyes new album blasting

2 days late here but I did Jury duty 2 years ago. Great experience and very interesting.

I got called up to a case on my first day, it turned out to be a murder case, I played footy with one of the accused lads mates who was a witness, my auntie was the coroner on the case, my cousin had spoke to the accused on the night after it happend and my wife knew the victim I had to tell them and couldn't sit on the jury.

I ended up being on a case that lasted the best part of 2 weeks, a guy was accused of getting it on with his wifes sister who was either 14 or 15.

Lirlond

Made Chilli and rice for my tea today. Looked horrid. Tasted good. Made way too much though, might finish it tomorrow. What about the rest of you?

Meadows

Banned
the missus is making spaghetti with tinned tomato, olives, tuna, anchovies, rocket, carrot and onion.

Should be fucking awesome

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I just had some chocolate raisins for 'dinner.' :(
When I finish work at 8 there's beef & pinapple with fried rice waiting at home :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Making my famous, GAFfer suggested Lemon and Rosemary chicken for dinner tonight, shit is delicious.

Also KentPaul is a bad influence. That massive bud he posted earlier made me jealous, so when my man just gave me a shout to see if I wanted I had to say yes. This shit is also delicious but will make cooking dinner that much more of a mission...

What time do you lot have dinner anyway? I'm usually about 8pm due to work and stuff

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Yeah, but I don't really eat what they do.

I think there's a chicken breast in the freezer so I might have that in a bit with some chips.

Meadows

Banned
CHEEZMO™;35623010 said:
Yeah, but I don't really eat what they do.

I think there's a chicken breast in the freezer so I might have that in a bit with some chips.

gotta be careful when defrosting that shit bro

Chinner

Banned
the missus is making spaghetti with tinned tomato, olives, tuna, anchovies, rocket, carrot and onion.

Should be fucking awesome

yHuVD.gif

Made Chilli and rice for my tea today. Looked horrid. Tasted good. Made way too much though, might finish it tomorrow. What about the rest of you?

I'm debating eating a honey mustard chicken pasta thing that has been sitting in my b&b room since yesterday, unopened but unrefrigerated.

Should I gamble?

This thread always gets depressing when people bring up food (with the exception of the recent supermarket talk!) Five pages on fast food but one week ago, and now a page on the un-nutritious meals people are having for dinner! Come on people :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This thread always gets depressing when people bring up food (with the exception of the recent supermarket talk!) Five pages on fast food but one week ago, and now a page on the un-nutritious meals people are having for dinner! Come on people :)

Woah there motherfucker! My lemon rosemary chicken is low fat and delicious! I take offense!

What are you having for dinner then hot shot?

Arnie

I'm having Scrambled Egg and Bacon on toast for tea. Gonna put about 6 eggs into the thing. Lots of ketchup too. I've also got Spar's own brand of Lucozade called 'GLUCOSE'. It's making my teeth hurt.

f0rk

Making a mess of cut up pork and apple sausages, bacon, mushrooms, a tin of tomatoes and a bit of chilli powder. Good shit.

My last UK meal tonight (for a couple of weeks). Heading out to Japan tomorrow evening, going to Thailand on the way back. Scouting for business opportunities and drumming up interest for some UK industry clients we have. Should be productive.

Anyway, I was thinking pizza, but I haven't made anything yet so I will probably end up eating at like midnight. Need to get some salami, parma ham, mushrooms and olives as well. Probably yeast and flour too to make the dough. I really didn't think it through...

f0rk

Anyway, I was thinking pizza, but I haven't made anything yet so I will probably end up eating at like midnight. Need to get some salami, parma ham, mushrooms and olives as well. Probably yeast and flour too to make the dough. I really didn't think it through...

No one here makes their own pizza dough get out.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

Domino's you tosser.

Meadows

Banned
My last UK meal tonight (for a couple of weeks). Heading out to Japan tomorrow evening, going to Thailand on the way back. Scouting for business opportunities and drumming up interest for some UK industry clients we have. Should be productive.

your job sounds awesome, will you hire me?

I can slick my hair back and laugh at poor people with you. I'll even get one of those big 80s mobile phones

No one here makes their own pizza dough get out.

Naw man, home made pizza dough is where its at. Seriously, best part of the pizza is the base and it needs to be light and crispy, not the dogshit from takeaway places.

CHEEZMO™;35627157 said:
Domino's you tosser.

Not drunk, though I will probably get quite a few beers from Sainsbury's in a few minutes.

your job sounds awesome, will you hire me?

I can slick my hair back and laugh at poor people with you. I'll even get one of those big 80s mobile phones

Don't hire and fire mate, you would need to apply. Applicants are required to have a first class degree in one of the physical sciences or economics. D:

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
what you selling pal?

Beads.

Just beads. And stuff to to make things out of beads with.

Nothing really fascinating at all really. But is is something that is (a) pretty hot in the craft market at the moment and for the next few years (b) very very messy online, because beads are very tactile things and because there's a lot of players, some of the biggest ones charging absolutely ridiculous prices (c) although there's a lot of bead shops around there aren't any in my town and the ones that are reasonably accessible from here are either low-grade rubbish or heavily overpriced through having either the wrong suppliers or too high an estimation of the gross margin they can get or thinking that just because they are in a posh location they can charge what they like.

Plus, around 50% of the bead shops around seem to be run on hubby's money to give wifey a plaything with no regard to business sense.

I'm going to be directly importing into the EU and bypassing the middlemen (it's a bit of an administrative nightmare, but the thing is I'm really good at administrative nightmares - it's my second favourite hobby after legal nightmares). Found good premises today, got suppliers lined up, hoping to be up and running in six weeks or so. Oodles of tax stuff and accountancy stuff and health and safety stuff and trading standards stuff and negotiation to go through - I'm happy like a pig in shit!

It better bloody work.

(p.s. got some awesome ideas for gaming-related beadwork for display/sale, it won't be just necklaces and girly stuff whatever the wife says)

f0rk

Beads.

Just beads. And stuff to to make things out of beads with.

Nothing really fascinating at all really. But is is something that is (a) pretty hot in the craft market at the moment and for the next few years (b) very very messy online, because beads are very tactile things and because there's a lot of players, some of the biggest ones charging absolutely ridiculous prices (c) although there's a lot of bead shops around there aren't any in my town and the ones that are reasonably accessible from here are either low-grade rubbish or heavily overpriced through having either the wrong suppliers or too high an estimation of the gross margin they can get or thinking that just because they are in a posh location they can charge what they like.

Plus, around 50% of the bead shops around seem to be run on hubby's money to give wifey a plaything with no regard to business sense.

I'm going to be directly importing into the EU and bypassing the middlemen (it's a bit of an administrative nightmare, but the thing is I'm really good at administrative nightmares - it's my second favourite hobby after legal nightmares). Found good premises today, got suppliers lined up, hoping to be up and running in six weeks or so. Oodles of tax stuff and accountancy stuff and health and safety stuff and trading standards stuff and negotiation to go through - I'm happy like a pig in shit!

It better bloody work.

(p.s. got some awesome ideas for gaming-related beadwork for display/sale, it won't be just necklaces and girly stuff whatever the wife says)

My mum and sister would definitely visit a bead shop.

Errrr....

I had Dominos last night. Had to test the new barbeque stuffed crust and the spicy ribs.

And tonight, a burger at a bar. I'm eating really badly this end of the week... and it started well with homemade burgers and risotto. :(

Don't hire and fire mate, you would need to apply. Applicants are required to have a first class degree in one of the physical sciences or economics. D:

What kind of financial services role requires a 1st, specifically in one of those degrees? I have friends going into strictly quant-based jobs at banks, and even they don't need 1sts. Others I know going into S&T, IBD, PE, etc. don't need 1sts in finals either, and we're talking seriously prestigious employers here.

If you'd rather PM me, I'm fine with that, I'm just curious (as someone who was once considering going into that industry)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Of course. There other criteria, but none as important as the degree (and university). We also take on 3 people a year into the non-grad scheme for 18-20 year olds who have left school.

Now that sounds wonderful. Would suit my boy, who is just coming up to A-levels but really really doesn't fancy the idea of uni and wants to get out there and DO stuff. Serious stuff. He's a smart lad and can do numbers in his head better than anyone I've ever met (unfortunately crap at exams though, but given the exams he has had I can see why - he is too smart for the questions and answers what they actually asked rather than what they thought they had asked).

Any chance you could PM me who you work for? I undertake to keep it quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom