• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra David feels Street Fighter 5 needs an entire re-release

I see it now, they can call it... Super Street Fighter 5. And everyone will get angry and call Capcom liars who said they wouldn't do that, even the ones who said they should do it.

Alucrid

Banned
They should package the whole season 1 on disc and add code for season 2 pack for 50 bucks. The game needs fun stuff to do other than 1v1 fighting. Mini games, scramble mode like SFxT, barrel breaking, car smashing, stuff. Simple stuff to keep people playing after they get their ass kicked online.

maybe do a mirror mode where you fight an opponent that mimics your button presses exactly so you can beat up on a scrub

Nocturno999

so remove the only way to get some of the new dlc for free?

Their CFN model failed bad. I would rather pay for a substantial expansion (not necessarily a Super or Ultra)
than having their bad FM system and DIMPS rushing content every season not keeping up fixing technical issues.

I see it now, they can call it... Super Street Fighter 5. And everyone will get angry and call Capcom liars who said they wouldn't do that, even the ones who said they should do it.

They also said that all of their DLC was going to be free. Worse lie.

Clipse

They should package the whole season 1 on disc and add code for season 2 pack for 50 bucks. The game needs fun stuff to do other than 1v1 fighting. Mini games, scramble mode like SFxT, barrel breaking, car smashing, stuff. Simple stuff to keep people playing after they get their ass kicked online.
Was also thinking this. Would be a good first step.

mandiller

Here's what to do:

- All characters and stages are unlocked for everyone
- Fight money/paying only unlocks costumes
- Drastically reduce the load times
- Other quality of life improvements

Their CFN model failed bad. I would rather pay for a substantial expansion (not necessarily a Super or Ultra)
than having their bad FM system and DIMPS rushing content every season not keeping up fixing technical issues.

So that casuals can now whine about having to pay $60 for new characters? Nah.

I think they severely underestimated how many people play street fighter for just single player and arcade mode and don't touch online

JayEH

I agree but it doesn't seem like it will happen. Capcom is probably just going to take the L and churn out balance patches and dlc for the next few years, which is fine with me someone invested in the game heavily, and hopefully when SF VI comes out they've learned their lesson (seems like they have with MvC:I).

Justinh

Did I miss a $60 SFIV revision?

I believe Super Street Fighter 4 could be classified as that, right? Actually, I guess it was lower than 60 dollars now that I think about it...
Maybe I had Ultimate UMvC in my head.

Interesting to see a commentator say such things ("complete garbage other than the gameplay").

Yeah, I think more tutorial stuff/Single player stuff is the kind of stuff that would appeal to casuals.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Alpha 3 makes those games look like chumps.

Alpha 3 is my favorite Street Fighter game. By far. Best single player mode in the franchise. Best roster.

Street Fighter Alpha is exempt from the odd number curse (even though SFZ1/SFA1 is ass) because it's Zero/Alpha!

heres what to do

make all characters backgrounds costumes for free
game is free like its audience
if your tweet your character choice to ono enough times hell make it himself, including hamburglar
fm still in, save enough and pay capcom for a new mega man youll pretend to care about and never complete
reduce loading times so there are no loading times, make it sf 2 cartridge quick

How are you even supposed to make a 1 v 1 skill based game appeal to casuals?

Mortal Kombat is doing a ok job at it. I think that's the model for all fighting games now.

5 hour + Cinematic story mode, goofy side modes, tutorials novices can understand, etc...

To me it feels like SFV was a free 2 play game ala killer instinct that changed into a full priced box gane 6 months from release but didn't have what was needed to compete at that price. It's a weird game

entremet

OMFG. Much of the 'depth' in fighting games was result of quirks and flaws in design. Combos weren't even in the minds of the developers when SF2 came out. And LoL is fucking casual? No amount of button mashing will ever make you less than a feeder in MOBAs, but may make you a occasional winner among friends in fighting games.
So what?

SF2 was appealing to a broader spectrum than SFV. And MK trounces it in casual appeal today.

I'm just saying that the genre itself it not cursed to niche appeal just because it's a fighter.

Ardenyal

The online meat grinder is too much for casuals if they're not brought up to speed on how to play at a decent level. It's a shame you see some of the shitlord tactics in lower level game play. Flowchart jumping roundhouse shoryu players wouldn't exist if people had been taught that jabs are the God of anti airs.

A short tutorial or an arcade mode won't hold interest long enough, there has to be a fun Ai to play against. Input read Ai only discourages people from pushing buttons.

Raw64life

I'm a long time SF fan who definitely leans more casual than competitive these days (I haven't felt like I could hold my own in a fighting game tournament in well over a decade). I haven't bought this game yet. My issue with the content is more the way it's being released than the content itself. I want all the content on the disk Day 1. I don't want a morphine drip for 3 years.

Super Street Fighter 5 will happen. The only thing Capcom said they won't do is make you buy these iterative titles. The OG SFV will run with Super and Ultra SFV.

SSFV (great name with the V) will have Season 1 and 2 characters/stages. USFV will have Season 1-4 characters/stages. Best believe!

nded

I believe Super Street Fighter 4 could be classified as that, right?

A retail copy of SSFIV was $40 at launch.

Did you miss that costume DLC is now expensive and Capcom has bills to pay?

I assume part of the the Fight Money complaint is that Capcom have raised real money prices for DLC (in comparison to SFIV) to compensate for people being able to get free stuff.

David___

Banned
They also said that all of their DLC was going to be free. Worse lie.

They've been saying, and so far havent gone back on their word, that all gameplay related stuff will be free, characters are earnable via fight money and cosmetics are paid. I'd love to see where they put everything under an umbrella and said everything would be free.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm a long time SF fan who definitely leans more casual than competitive these days (I haven't felt like I could hold my own in a fighting game tournament in well over a decade). I haven't bought this game yet. My issue with the content is more the way it's being released than the content itself. I want all the content on the disk Day 1. I don't want a morphine drip for 3 years.

so you don't buy any fighting games then?

How are you even supposed to make a 1 v 1 skill based game appeal to casuals?

automatic combos :p

The best way to treat the situation is to clearly separate the two crowds with no in between. Have a high combat ceiling for those who enjoy that, and include single player modes with an automatic combo mode like Blazblue for people who don't care about that.

I just don't believe Japanese developers can cater to both crowds by trying to make a combat system that pleases everyone because that's not possible. It seems like they have to try hard to not be themselves when they attempt to do that.

So what?

SF2 was appealing to a broader spectrum than SFV. And MK trounces it in casual appeal today.

I'm just saying that the genre itself it not cursed to niche appeal just because it's a fighter.

The time has already passed. Guess what? MK destroyed SF2's popularity when it came out, and subsequent flavours of the week would continue the trend. People used to gather crowds around the WORLD HEROES cabinet. This isn't a new story, there's plenty of precedence involved here. I would be surprised if M&C Infinite was more than a modest budget title.

No lies detected and I really like the game, no slouch at it either. The gameplay is immensely fun. But literally everything else - including getting into a match - is *still* subpar. Cannot be surprised it didn't take off the way they wanted it to.

While not as immediately as accessible as something like Overwatch is (so it's not exactly apples to apples), they need to take notes from top to bottom on that game and building an ecosystem.

Is the game shit? Of course not. Does it constitute a valuable package? For a lot of people, absolutely not. And yeah, it services the FGC (of which I was a part) but believe it or not, companies make games to make money - FGC alone ain't enough. I honestly think an F2P version with Ryu and pay to unlock everything else would do wonders. Something tells me a slightly better KI approach is best case scenario for this game.

Hopefully Disney won't allow them to make the same mistakes with Marvel. That being said, they're already saying the right things but proof is in the pudding.

Edit: and add an interactive tutorial ffs. The fact that VF4 EVO is still the gold standard (unless proven otherwise?) speaks volumes.

qcf x2

Savage comments by Ultradavid:

[Capcom] built this game, Street Fighter 5, with complete garbage other than the game play itself. Fantastic game play, love it. People who play competitively care about that... everything else is a pile of doo-doo.

Telling it like it is.

Steroyd

than having their bad FM system and DIMPS rushing content every season not keeping up fixing technical.

I don't see how the correlation between earning fight money and paying for an expansion (you can still pay for the extra content anyway) changes how Capcom/DIMPS updates their stuff, they'd still have to put in the work to create the characters and balances all the same, and we'd be waiting till the end of the e-sports season for all the characters at once rather than spread out throughout the year.

Nocturno999

when did they say this?

They said many times that you could earn all content by just playing the game. Tehn premium costumes and $25 Pro Tour stage and costumes/colors.

A retail copy of SSFIV was $40 at launch.

USF4 was 15.

I don't see how the correlation between earning fight money and paying for an expansion (you can still pay for the extra content anyway) changes how Capcom/DIMPS updates their stuff, they'd still have to put in the work to create the characters and balances all the same, and we'd be waiting till the end of the e-sports season for all the characters at once rather than spread out throughout the year.

They need to have content ready each season to keep up with people earning FM and their business model. Is obvious they can't keep up.

No lies detected and I really like the game, no slouch at it either. The gameplay is immensely fun. But literally everything else - including getting into a match - is *still* subpar. Cannot be surprised it didn't take off the way they wanted it to.

I wanted to make a thread on games with worst wait-to-play ratio in online or offline games. Street Fighter V is at the top of the ladder and will be my example, with 5 minutes of wait for 2 minute of gameplay. So garbage, which sucks cause the game is SO MUCH FUN!

I've never played a game where it needs to apply updates everytime you start it. Gotta wait in the lobby while these shitty updates download and work it's thing for the 100th time. Thats besides the shitty wait. The wait is so bad that they decided to have a TROPHY for waiting LOL!

entremet

The time has already passed. Guess what? MK destroyed SF2's popularity when it came out, and subsequent flavours of the week would continue the trend. People used to gather crowds around the WORLD HEROES cabinet. This isn't a new story, there's plenty of precedence involved here. I would be surprised if M&C Infinite was more than a modest budget title.
This does not excuse Capcom's lack of effort with SFV.

Game launched in terrible condition at its price.

You can't use it as a good case study on the solvency of fighters since Capcom shat the bed launch.

Well of course it's gonna underperform with that word of mouth and anemic SP.

They said many times that you could earn all content by just playing the game. Tehn premium costumes and $25 Pro Tour stage and costumes/colors.

In the initial power point it was precised that what would be unconditionally offered with free currency would be gameplay-related content (read: characters).

JayEH

i don't remember them saying you can earn anything outside of characters,story costumes, and stages for free. you're going to need provide a link to an article where they say otherwise.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I still find it staggering that I can't choose my Fighter on the fly in online matches.

Who in fucks name thought it was a good idea to pre choose your online Fighter? Change that shit Capcom.

Unless I'm missing something?

Blueblur1

- Arcade Mode
- A LOT A LOT A LOT of Quality of Life fixes
- Better, Simpler Tutorials that allow players to input commands instead of just watching videos
- Remove Fight Money

I've been going on about those on for a while now twitter (especially having an actual tutorial and not the junk that is demonstrations). Except for the Fight Money one.

Top Bottom