• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra David feels Street Fighter 5 needs an entire re-release

JayEH

I still find it staggering that I can't choose my Fighter on the fly in online matches.

Who in fucks name thought it was a good idea to pre choose your online Fighter? Change that shit Capcom.

Unless I'm missing something?

it was supposed to get you in the match quicker but the load times make it so it doesn't make a difference lol. A lot of games though are adopting this method I've noticed.

I still find it staggering that I can't choose my Fighter on the fly in online matches.

Who in fucks name thought it was a good idea to pre choose your online Fighter? Change that shit Capcom.

I always thought it was to prevent people choosing a different fighter specifically to counter the one their opponent chose. Maybe I'm giving Capcom too much credit though.

Bro if I had to load that fucking character select screen every time for ranked. I'm pretty sure they made it that way because they realized the load times were absolute trash. You can change this in lobbies.

nded

They said many times that you could earn all content by just playing the game. Tehn premium costumes and $25 Pro Tour stage and costumes/colors.

Capcom were pretty clear in stipulating that all gameplay related DLC could be earned through FM.

As outlined in their press releases from 2015:

1. The initial release is the only disc you will ever need to own
2. All balance and system adjustments will be available for free
3. All post-launch gameplay related content will be earnable for free by playing the game

Stages and costumes are considered cosmetic items.

Alpha 3 is ass duder

Some of the most fun, best selling fighting games of all time have shit competitive play. Also, I didn't care about competitive balance when I played sf2, mk2, mk3, KI, alpha 3, bloody roar, CVS, etc...

And to say the standard bearer for single player content in a fighting game is "ass" is just a silly thing to say.

They said many times that you could earn all content by just playing the game. Tehn premium costumes and $25 Pro Tour stage and costumes/colors.
They specifically said that cosmetic content would be paid, and that anything that affects gameplay would either be free or earnable through gameplay.

What a ridiculous assertion. I don't know about Ultra David or you guys, but I'm personally brimming with excitement for Akuma and five silhouettes.

bwahaha I can't

JayEH

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who's been enjoying SFV since day 1.

nah plenty of people have (me included). I've said it before but SFV is a good game but a horrible product. There's plenty of room for improvement. UltraDavid is telling it straight.

jwillenn

How are you even supposed to make a 1 v 1 skill based game appeal to casuals?

Street Fighter FGRPG

Exp needed to progress in the game comes from winning/losing to other players randomly encountered in the overworld. You earn all kinds of... stuff... from your performance, win or lose. But of course, wins lead to more, especially depending on the history (stats) of the opponent. Story is grand, visuals and sound are grand... lots of exploration and just a really amazing adventure that goes deep into SF lore.

The simultaneous release of Street Fighter (no RPG) is tied into this, but focuses on the traditional game. There is even a mode that lets players bring their custom movesets (options earned througout the course of the RPG) into online battles.

This does not excuse Capcom's lack of effort with SFV.

Game launched in terrible condition at its price.

You can't use it as a good case study on the solvency of fighters since Capcom shat the bed launch.

Well of course it's gonna underperform with that word of mouth and anemic SP.

I don't even know what you're on about anymore. Capcom botched the launch of SF5, sure, that's a common opinion. Doesn't change the fact that it's a dormant genre now. MK and Injustice have hooks that appeal to larger markets, but do not last in pro levels the way people want fighters to, and even the growth of the anime fgc is a drop compared to what was lost in the 3d fighting space. Fighting games have done nothing to invigorate, or even retain the numbers that slowly dwindled last generation.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The fact that people want them to re-release the game when Capcom finally got away from that bullshit is depressing as hell

SFV is awesome as is

I'd be surprised if some kind of Season 1 compilation disc wasn't announced sometime around a year after the game launched, and coinciding roughly with the release of arcade mode. I doubt they want to repeat the UMvC3 situation and release it within the first year, though.

qcf x2

Basically calling it SF III-2.

I don't get the association at all. SF3 had arcade mode, didn't have issues w/ loading, horrible UI/design, money squeezing DLC, etc. SF3 didn't capture the casual market because of the times, because the gameplay was markedly different from previous SF, and because the roster was mostly original characters. Not comparable to SFV's issues.

KOFXIV got those

where da casuals at

KoF is significantly lesser known and it's not "pretty" enough for casuals, or something. Idk. It's a fantastic fighter that should've sold a lot more. I feel like even within the FGC, people love the frontrunner(s) and don't really give the alternatives the same chance.

Garlador

How are you even supposed to make a 1 v 1 skill based game appeal to casuals?

Tekken 3 (8.5 million sold) and Mortal Kombat X (5 million) approach.

Or the winning formula of "modes, modes, modes, modes, modes, so many modes..."

Not everyone is a 1 v 1 skilled player.

Some people just want to play Tekken volleyball with a farting baby dinosaur.

Not saying you're wrong, but I don't think that's related to the point UltraDavid was making.
You are right, but I think it still ties into the overall argument that just about everything except the gameplay has been handled badly and that includes the way DLC was handled in this game. Hopefully season 2 will go more smoothly, but they're not off to a good start with this secrecy.

Since when do premium costumes matter to the overall game?

I was pointing out that Capcom doesn't keep to a strict code of pricing their new games the same as their old games. The person I was replying to implied that a new version of SFV would be $40 because SSFIV was. MKXL launched at $60, so I think Capcom would follow their lead.

SFV catching hands for being incomplete.

KoF patching in graphics because it wasn't complete.

KoF can never fill hearts with rage like V's shitshow did. SNK can't replace that with great game design, nor can ASW or Iron Galaxy or any other top-shelf maker of mode-heavy Fighters.

That hate is pure. That hate is FUN.

KOFXIV got those

where da casuals at

KoF is significantly lesser known and it's not "pretty" enough for casuals, or something. Idk. It's a fantastic fighter that should've sold a lot more. I feel like even within the FGC, people love the frontrunner(s) and don't really give the alternatives the same chance.

KoF can never fill hearts with rage like V's shitshow did. SNK can't replace that with great game design, nor can ASW or Iron Galaxy or any other top-shelf maker of mode-heavy Fighters.

That hate is pure. That hate is FUN.

Actually, the sales for KOF XIV have been increasing as of lately, not decreasing.

PillarEN

I agree. They botched the launch and the game has been snake bitten ever since. Plus, Ken just looks fugly. Gotta do something about his hair and brows.

People love to bring up Overwatch as if there's some kind of double standard at play, but even ignoring the difference in popularity between the two genres, OW really highlights flaws in SFV's model.

Maybe if SFV was a 40$ game*, with 20 characters, in which every character was free instead of being a giant grind for FM, with lootboxes filled with taunt lines, player card backgrounds, colors (common stuff), and costumes, stages (rare stuff), then people might have responded better.

The reality of paying full price for a spartan package, then being hyped about "free characters" before realizing the time sinking part of earning them, and then still having to pay extra for content just because Capcom can get away with it because some people will defend it as "non-essential" content, just highlights how greedy this company is. Very little changed from SFxT gems debacle, except being a little more sneaky about it.

*Or a $60 one that gave 4 or 5 costumes out of the gate like the non-Battlenet store versions

Since when do premium costumes matter to the overall game?
Since the first human chose to wear something for the aesthetic appeal of it and to differentiate themselves from others.

jwhit28

If that garbage story mode and the boring challenges are supposed to be what hooks casuals during the re-release than I see the relaunch going even worse than before. Maybe if they make an anniversary release with Akuma on the cover and a big sticker that says all season one content plus Akuma included, people will bite.

nded

The fact that people want them to re-release the game when Capcom finally got away from that bullshit is depressing as hell

SFV is awesome as is

The thread is about relaunching SFV at retail with a renewed marketing push which need not be the same as releasing an incompatible revision that renders the old disc obsolete and splitting the player base.

Gren

Man ain't wrong. I'm sure they'll eventually do just that once they feel they have enough content for a compelling/noteworthy GOTY package.

Renekton

The thread is about relaunching SFV at retail with a renewed marketing push which need not be the same as releasing an incompatible revision that renders the old disc obsolete and splitting the player base.
Still sounds like throwing money down the drain. A relaunch is not going to get sales traction.

The thread is about relaunching SFV at retail with a renewed marketing push, not releasing an incompatible revision that renders the old disc obsolete and splitting the player base.

I can't see it doing well at all. They won't get away with a new release unless it's called SF6. The SFV name is poison. Nothing short of re-doing all the content in the game right now could possibly justify a re-release from any standpoint.

Garlador

Still sounds like throwing money down the drain. A relaunch is not going to get sales traction.

It's possible. Destiny turned its reputation around. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has washed away most of the bad feelings of vanilla FFXIV. There are other examples and precedent for a successful relaunch.

... But it certainly isn't easy. It does take time, energy, money, and razor-sharp focus, and I'm not entirely convinced Capcom is in a state where they are capable of reading the market correctly and catering to the lapsed demographics they need.

Kashiwaba

nah plenty of people have (me included). I've said it before but SFV is a good game but a horrible product. There's plenty of room for improvement. UltraDavid is telling it straight.

This as much as I'm enjoying SFV but there is nothing to do in it beside playing few games online few times a week. this game needs some new modes, mini games (like rival school)...etc why can't capcom release full packages like they used to 😐?

cordy

Banned
- PSN+ version (with 12 characters unlocked, some small stuff for users for a whole month)
- Super SFV (all S1 characters plus all 6 S2 characters, even through in some classics if not 6 classics, whatever maybe Sakura, Sagat and 2 others people want)
- Arcade Mode
- Story Mode + Story Mode 2 which focuses on Akuma
- Renewed marketing push
- SSFV launches at $29.99

If they want even more sales they can up it by doing a 3rd Strike-like change to distance themselves from the base game. 3rd Strike looks completely different from the original SF3. New music, new aesthetic, new feel, new vibe. Do that with SFV and that might make people think "yo, this is a new game, I love this" and see what happens. Equip it with new stages and such. Give it more unlockables, stuff like that.

Whatever works. If they did this? I'd actually buy the entire game over again.

I know, people will say "Capcom won't do that" and "that won't work" well SFV hasn't worked thus far from a casual standpoint at all. As far as I'm concerned, Capcom's trying to take these risks with 5 brand new characters and underestimating casuals, they need to do everything they can.

Exclusive look at the rerelease

yoE0p2E.jpg

SF5 is a game made for people who pretended to like KOF over SF4. Extra modes mean nothing, the core cast and gameplay is boring.

They either need to keep supporting that tiny audience or move on with a flashier game that will appeal to more people. This would be marvel.

Capcom seem to have realised their mistake and are developing accordingly. I would expect them to try to flog off some more dlc, but otherwise to drop SF5 like a stone and to try again aftet a few more years.

nded

I was pointing out that Capcom doesn't keep to a strict code of pricing their new games the same as their old games. The person I was replying to implied that a new version of SFV would be $40 because SSFIV was. MKXL launched at $60, so I think Capcom would follow their lead.

I was implying that the FM system has an effect on DLC pricing decisions that is greater then zero.

It's really too bad that literally the only unbroken commitment Capcom has left in regards to SFV is that they would never release another boxed version of the game

Kashiwaba

- PSN+ version (with 12 characters unlocked, some small stuff for users for a whole month)
- Super SFV (all S1 characters plus all 6 S2 characters, even through in some classics if not 6 classics, whatever maybe Sakura, Sagat and 2 others people want)
- Arcade Mode
- Story Mode + Story Mode 2 which focuses on Akuma
- Renewed marketing push
- SSFV launches at $29.99

If they want even more sales they can up it by doing a 3rd Strike-like change to distance themselves from the base game. 3rd Strike looks completely different from the original SF3. New music, new aesthetic, new feel, new vibe.
Do that with SFV and that might make people think "yo, this is a new game, I love this" and see what happens. Equip it with new stages and such. Give it more unlockables, stuff like that.

Whatever works. If they did this? I'd actually buy the entire game over again.

I know, people will say "Capcom won't do that" and "that won't work" well SFV hasn't worked thus far from a casual standpoint at all. As far as I'm concerned, Capcom's trying to take these risks with 5 brand new characters and underestimating casuals, they need to do everything they can.

If they do this again they will end up losing most of their loyal fans.

The game is just so...off-putting. Just seeing that beginning menu makes me want to shut it off and play something else immediately.
At this point it's a lost cause, at least to me. Let the FGC shape it into what they want I guess.

Top Bottom