• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick TE2 revealed (X360 - PS3/PS4 with toggle)

Izuna

Banned
I imagine Microsoft was either very short sighted, greedy, or both when planning out the XB1. 360 historically was its own island when it came to accessories while a lot of stuff could be PS3/PC compatible, and even with Sony breaking compatibility for DS3 with PS4 you still get accessories like this out and things like the Skylanders portal are cross gen (and even PC/Wii/Wii U compatible.) Meanwhile you need separate portals for Skylanders on 360 and XB1, and if Microsoft licensing is a pain then I can see that switch thing falling apart despite the fact it'd make the stick a better investment at this point in time.

Whichever it is, it gives the same message as proprietary hardware in general... Consumers don't like it, but Business benefits all around. We have to respect their decisions though, you can't have third parties free roam over console peripherals (at least for me, part of the point of consoles is so that everyone has the same quality of stuff).

FGC may require sticks and hitboxes etc. but I personally dislike the pro gamer stuff for FPS even though that's hypocritical.

Just FYI, dev Xbones worked with 360 sticks when they had a KI tournament pre-release. They can flick a switch.

The security chips for the 360 that locked out unlicensed 3rd party accessories was cracked some time ago. so I can understand Microsoft not wanting to loose out on that sweet licensing money by making 360 accessories compatible with the XBone.

good to hear that PS4 mode can be enabled through an addon chip or something.

Hopefully Paewang and others crack this open/make a chip soon so i can add PS4 compatibility to my existing custom sticks too :p

T.O.P

Banned
Really don't feel like buying a second one after the KI T2 for X1

But i'm tempted...i'll probably be forced to buy it anyway for GG if there won't be any converter from X1 to PS4 later this year

emb

For a moment I thought that was going to be a switch between 360, PS3, and PS4. I was sadly mistaken.

Biker19

Banned
Because it's good to have forward compatibility on a peripheral for a device that has a successor out? Good enough reason in my eyes, whether or not a PS4 USFIV ever hits (would be nice for console 1080p and perhaps ensuring there's never any FPS drops, though I don't vividly recall any on PS3.)

Capcom can easily just take the PC version of Ultra, map out the controls/button configurations, as well as getting the online multiplayer to work on PS4, & call it a day, especially when PS4 has the same x86 architecture as the PC does. :)

No need for them to port the console versions.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Makes sense that no XB1 version is announced since this is a Japanese-market release and XB1 isn't out over there yet.

Plus the KI TE2 has been out since last year already.

And you know you gotta be careful with your words on the internet MarkMan, knowing how fast things can run wild!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Makes sense that no XB1 version is announced since this is a Japanese-market release and XB1 isn't out over there yet.

Plus the KI TE2 has been out since last year already.

And you know you gotta be careful with your words on the internet MarkMan, knowing how fast things can run wild!

I was well aware of how I worded things. The internet can run. Maybe we wanted more hype/buzz about it? lol.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So this is coming out on PS4?

The stick is compatible for PS3 and also PS4 (via toggle switch). The game is only available for PS3 though.

So you able to tell us when we'll be able to purchase this in US and Canada? I'd get it right now, honestly, if I could.

Yeah, just follow us on social media and you'll find out when. This thing is going to be limited.

mattp

this is pretty great, but all it does is remind me what bullshit it is that i can't just use my ps3 stick on ps4

DryvBy

The stick is compatible for PS3 and also PS4 (via toggle switch). The game is only available for PS3 though.

Yeah, just follow us on social media and you'll find out when. This thing is going to be limited.

I'd probably buy Ultra on PS4, which I currently don't have a big interest in since I own all the other SFIV versions.

I'm crossing my fingers. Good looking stick either way.

Yudoken

I've just ordered an used SF IV TE and was wondering if there would be a new TE when Ultra comes out.
I don't want to be nitpicking but I don't dig the design of this stick.
Both round one and two looked real nice and classy with great backgrounds (expecially R2).
Red and black and white just look great and work well on a fightstick in my opinion.
But if it's the same build quality like the other ones than there is a high chance that I am going to buy the PS3/4 one in a few years when there are enough interesting (fighting) games for me.

Limited as in the Ultra branding, or limited in the sense that it`ll be a pain to get this type of stick for the next year? I got lucky with the original Mad Catz TEs but a friend was totally unable to grab an Xbox One TE for KI.

TheRook

Limited as in the Ultra branding, or limited in the sense that it`ll be a pain to get this type of stick for the next year? I got lucky with the original Mad Catz TEs but a friend was totally unable to grab an Xbox One TE for KI.

Limited Quantities.

So it's pre-order or let it sail with this one it seems...fudge.

Can I have your feedback on why you feel that way? I want to forward it off to my team working on it. Is it the artwork, the case, the aesthetics?

The blue and red plates on the sides are too contrasty and pull your eye away from the middle where all the art and nice parts are. If you muted them down or used a dark gray/black you'd get more harmony and make the sticks less toy-like with their appearance. It's a premium item for serious players, but having the super saturated primary colors on the sides doesn't communicate that well. The extended angular portion on the bottom might be a comfort call and I haven't used the thing so I wouldn't know, but it does seem visually arbitrary and slightly distracting.

I am excited for the PS3/PS4 stick so I can play Xrd and P4A2, though.

Markman, will there be a PS4 fightpad for the not PS4 version of USFIV that's not coming to PS4?

And can it please return to the original form factor?

kasane

Always hated this shape since i saw the KI stick, artwork also looks bad. Im just gonna have to change the art if it ever comes to canada

TheRook

I don't care about the art. I would just hope that if this thing sells out, it's followed right behind by the same stick with generic branding.

Right, just ignore what I said.

Chances are that this maybe the only TE2 we get for a moment...so if you want a TE2...you should get "THIS ONE", regardless if you like the art or not. TE sticks usually don't go generic from what I can remember.

TE ver.1 and Round 2 - SF4 vanilla, special editions, Blazblue, etc.
TE-S - Super SF4, Tekken Hybrid
TE-Pro - SFxT , special editions.
TE.2 - KI, Ultra SF4.
VS - SFxT, Tournament prizes

So it's a safe to assume that this stick design...is limited...especially for 7th gen.

Chances are that this maybe the only TE2 we get for a moment...so if you want a TE2...you should get "THIS ONE", regardless if you like the art or not. TE sticks usually don't go generic from what I can remember.

TE.2 - KI, Ultra SF4.

So it's a safe to assume that this stick design...is limited...especially for 7th gen.

The reason I say a generic version is that after the Killer Instinct one for Xbox One, there now exists a generic version on their site.

http://store.madcatz.com/categories...tStick-Tournament-Edition-2-for-Xbox-One.html

TE.2 - KI, Ultra SF4.

Yeah it seems with every "major" game release a stick comes out and I don't see a TE stick revision for GGXrd coming from them, but who knows I could be wrong. Also the TE-Pro and VS for SFxT came out at the same time right? I have both of them don't remember if I got them at around the same time or not.

vg260

I want to clear this up again.

We made the stick compatible with PS3 AND PS4, because we could. There is no USFIV for PS4.

Also, hope you guys like it. Any questions?

It looks awesome and easily my favorite design of all the TEs so far. The blue color looks slick as hell. Please don't change it.

I'll be getting one for the PS4 compatibility alone. Otherwise I would have passed. Need it for GGXrd, Injustice, and whatever comes out after. I'm assuming it will work on PC too.

Does the need for PS3/PS4 toggle pretty much mean we shouldn't expect any sort of PS3 stick support on the PS4 (from Sony, devs. or whoever)?

JPS Kai

It looks awesome and easily my favorite design of all the TEs so far. The blue color looks slick as hell. Please don't change it.

I'll be getting one for the PS4 compatibility alone. Otherwise I would have passed. Need it for GGXrd, Injustice, and whatever comes out after. I'm assuming it will work on PC too.

Does the need for PS3/PS4 toggle pretty much mean we shouldn't expect any sort of PS3 stick support on the PS4 (from Sony, devs. or whoever)?

My presumption is that accessory compatibility is based on the developer, not Sony. I would love any of the sticks I already own to work for Injustice/Xrd. Considering I own half a dozen MadCatz sticks since the first TE, I'm on the fence about this one. MarkMan has more than enough of my money. ;)

I'm looking at these sticks, am I understanding this correctly, to change the artwork, all you have to do is pop the bezel, unscrew the balltop (or equivalent) and lay your new artwork on top? You don't have to remove the buttons to change the artwork?

TheRook

The reason I say a generic version is that after the Killer Instinct one for Xbox One, there now exists a generic version on their site.

http://store.madcatz.com/categories...tStick-Tournament-Edition-2-for-Xbox-One.html
I believe that the Original TE-2 was shown at E3 last year(abet less customized) and and it was just finally released after they made limited edition runs for the KI ver. But also know that since this is for 7th gen...It's highly probable that it's going to be limited since 7th gen is on it's way out.

Point is...If you want a Cross gen stick for your PS3/4, or want the design for you 360...you should jump on it.

As far as customization goes, Markman did talk about it at E3, I'm not sure how much of the stick changed before it was finalized but from what people's been saying...it's pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBcUP0HNQgU

I think the design is pretty badass, and I was one of the people who asked for a PS3 version, it being cross-gen enabled really is coaxing me into buying it.

I'm looking at these sticks, am I understanding this correctly, to change the artwork, all you have to do is pop the bezel, unscrew the balltop (or equivalent) and lay your new artwork on top? You don't have to remove the buttons to change the artwork?

Markman recently posted an art swap tutorial on youtube, I'll try to find the post.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";114884413]The blue and red plates on the sides are too contrasty and pull your eye away from the middle where all the art and nice parts are. If you muted them down or used a dark gray/black you'd get more harmony and make the sticks less toy-like with their appearance. It's a premium item for serious players, but having the super saturated primary colors on the sides doesn't communicate that well. The extended angular portion on the bottom might be a comfort call and I haven't used the thing so I wouldn't know, but it does seem visually arbitrary and slightly distracting.

I am excited for the PS3/PS4 stick so I can play Xrd and P4A2, though.[/QUOTE]

I can assure you that comfort wise/ergonomics, the shape is similar to that of our past sticks and the design of the casing does not infringe on previous levels of comfort.

As far as the colors thing, that's why we made these sticks modular because people have different tastes/flavors as far as preference. You will be able to swap out the side panels and more with other colored ones. Similar to how we had accessories for the original line of TE sticks.

vg260

My presumption is that accessory compatibility is based on the developer, not Sony. I would love any of the sticks I already own to work for Injustice/Xrd. Considering I own half a dozen MadCatz sticks since the first TE, I'm on the fence about this one. MarkMan has more than enough of my money. ;)

I guess I'm really just curious what the details are. Specifically, what do devs need to do to enable PS3 stick support? Does it require writing of non-standard drivers or some specific extra coding that while possible, makes it not worth doing? Why couldn't Sony just implement it in the firmware? It seems like there's something more going on at the hardware level.

While the TE2s are featured-packed, I'd also like to see MadCatz make some more no-frills models. Something akin to the SFxT sticks and still using Sanwa parts, not like the low-end SFIV sticks. Honestly, my SFxT sticks have worked out perfectly for my needs and I was able to get them for half of what this one would cost. If they just offered those again with new art for the PS4, that would be much preferred.

Respawn

Banned
Yup. YOu heard it folks. There is NO USFIV for PS4
giphy.gif
Lol. Nice

TheRook

@MarkMan, A few simple questions.

Time card on when the following items will be up for order.

-Side panels for TE2, will there be a option for clear colors to match with clear buttons/ball top?
-LED PCB
-Shoulder strap

Where can I find the PSD file for the artwork template?

Top Bottom