• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 GOTY Edition Announced; Uncharted Series @ 17 million shipped

zroid

Banned
I thought EA was notorious for this. At least their biggest franchise COD doesn't include dlc codes.

Oh really. Well the last CoD I bought (4) had an expired DLC code in its GOTY edition box. Maybe things have changed since then. I seem to recall those were the days when everyone directed their fury at Activision, anyway, which has since mostly been shifted towards EA.

gogogow

Oh really. Well the last CoD I bought (4) had an expired DLC code in its GOTY edition box. Maybe things have changed since then. I seem to recall those were the days when everyone directed their fury at Activision, anyway, which has since mostly been shifted towards EA.

I only mean their standard editions, not elite, goty or anything. With every EA game there's a online pass, even if the game doesn't even have online (Kingdoms of Amalur). For all the hate Activision gets, at least you can sell and buy their games without worrying about playing online.

StuBurns

Banned
How is it a blend of UC1 and UC2? It isn't anything like either. Uncharted 3 ramps up the number of cut-scenes and pseudo-interactive set-pieces, and lowers the number of actual shootouts and gameplay content. They bought too much into the "uncharted 2 is just like a blockbuster movie!" hype(which it it wasn't) and actually tried to make one of those.
Indeed, it's more like a weak Uncharted 2 with the final hour of GoW3 interspersed.

Radec

Well deserved.

Though not sure if I can trade my steelbox UC3 over that one though.

RELIVE THE EXPERIENCE OF

GETTING BORED WITH THE GAME BEFORE CHAPTER 10

AND TRADE IT IN TO GAMESTOP

ALL OVER AGAIN

I pity this guy.

But whatever, to each his own. :)

Persona7

Banned
The DLC wasn't included on the Uncharted 2 GOTY disk because the game was only single layer and it used the entire disk, if I recall correctly.

Radec

Well that's an overwhelmingly dull boxart.

Yep.

It needs more shit in it.

scaled.php

test_account

XP-39C²
How far is this off the Gears franchise sales?
In 2009, the sales for Gears of War 1 and 2 were over 11 million. Gears of War 3 sold 3 million copies in the first week. Adding everything up to this day, i assume that the total sales are somewhere around ballpark of what the Uncharted series has sold

EDIT: Already answered :)

Card Boy

Banned
Glad i waited, no way i was going to buy that FHC rip off DLC over the PSN. The DLC alone is 40bucks on the Aussie PSN. I can import this GOTY Edition for far cheaper.

Raziel

good stuff. uncharted 3 is brilliant.

most of the criticism the game received basically boiled down to: too hard.

shaneskim

Someone in the other thread posted that gears has 18+ million so pretty close

In 2009, the sales for Gears of War 1 and 2 were over 11 million. Gears of War 3 sold 3 million copies in the first week. Adding everything up to this day, i assume that the total sales are somewhere around ballpark of what the Uncharted series has sold

EDIT: Already answered :)

Cheers. Impressive that the gap is not as large as I would have thought.

Cheers. Impressive that the gap is not as large as I would have thought.

Probably as UC sells shitloads more in Europe compared to Gears and we get European numbers pretty rarely. Outside of God of War this happens to pretty much every Sony franchise though. This probably creates the illusion that MS's first party games sell a lot more than Sony's.

Petrichor

How far is this off the Gears franchise sales?

It's impossible to tell because we only ever get shipped numbers for the uncharted franchise vs sold numbers for the gears franchise.

Going by NPD sell-through alone it seems like Gears is the bigger franchise. Europe may well put Uncharted on an equal pegging with Gears, but until Sony releases actual sell-through numbers we have no way of knowing (and their reluctance insinuates that it doesn't).

It's impossible to tell because we only ever get shipped numbers for the uncharted franchise vs sold numbers for the gears franchise.

Going by NPD sell-through alone it seems like Gears is the bigger franchise. Europe may well put Uncharted on an equal pegging with Gears, but until Sony releases actual sell-through numbers we have no way of knowing (and their reluctance insinuates that it doesn't).

lmao. Publishers never release sell through numbers. They have no clue. They only know how many they made and sent away to be put on shelves. Microsoft is no exception. Stop.

Petrichor

lmao. Publishers never release sell through numbers. They have no clue. They only know how many they made and sent away to be put on shelves. Microsoft is no exception. Stop.

The gears franchise has clearly sold considerably more than the uncharted franchise based on NPD data. If Uncharted really has sold close to 17 million, a hell of a lot of those sales must have happened in europe, in bundles, or outside of the NPD top 10, considerably more than is usual for western-targeted games.

The gears franchise has clearly sold considerably more than the uncharted franchise based on NPD data. If Uncharted really has sold close to 17 million, a hell of a lot of those sales must have happened in europe, in bundles, or outside of the NPD top 10, considerably more than is usual for western-targeted games.

NPD != World, Bundles do count, and shipped to Sony = shipped to retailers, so money in the bank, so why does it matter?

As a side note, franchise was 14 million back in February.

Mario007

U3 is having some legs in Europe, still charting in all the major markets. It was even number in Germany in February out of nowhere. NPD does not equal the World. Neither does Japan and neither does Europe. You have to put it all together, so simply stating that Gears is much bigger than Uncharted based off NPD is not the best way of going about doing these things.

oh man, who would have thought, games selling outside of america? games being bundled? there are games that are being sold that haven't shown up in npd top 10?
what kind of world is this that you're talking about?

Endo Punk

Uncharted definitely has more sway in the pal territories. I recall when the first Uncharted was released it only sold around 200k in NA and heard the European sales helped it top a million before word of mouth helped American sales, and bundles as well Im sure. So I wouldn't be surprised if the sequels sold much better in Europe as well. We love our Uncharted, the series is always in the charts.

Damn, UC3 sold 6 million? Nice.

Love the franchise. I really wonder what ND are going to do with it next. Drop it completely, a new game, or take a break for awhile and come back?

You cant take too long of a break though because Uncharted is so heavily focused on the characters/actors.

Launch UC4 on the ps4.

They need to take a small break and examine what made UC2 so good and why UC3 failed to live up. I agree with jett, I think they really tried too hard to make an interactive movie with 3 whereas 2 was just a damn good TPS game with a fun story mixed in and incredible visuals. I played UC2 almost nonstop to the end but I couldn't play UC3 for half an hour before getting bored.

Top Bottom