• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Loudninja

Ricky_R said:
Why do so many people ship their games? Because there's no store near? Laziness? convenience? Pre-order goodies? Discount?

I just go to GS or Best Buy and buy the game.
Because Amazon is awesome.

I cant use Amazon money in another store now can I?

Ricky_R said:
Why do so many people ship their games? Because there's no store near? Laziness? convenience? Pre-order goodies? Discount?

I got it for 39.99, otherwise its bestbuy in store.

Ricky_R

Tallshortman said:
Well at least newegg shipped a day early so I get it in 2 days instead of 3. Wednesday will be a very happy day.

For me it's that it's cheaper (no tax+amazon credit or newegg pre-order discount) and pretty convenient since Prime has free release date shipping and newegg has free 2-3 day shipping.

Ok... That makes sense. I'm always out of the loop when it comes to shipping games.

The Lamp

Ricky_R said:

I'm busy tomorrow, Amazon makes sure my game is in my hands by the time I come home, no tax, free shipping, no need to go to the store, usually cheaper prices, and sometimes I get credit/discounts for the future. I can also pre-order something immediately as opposed to having to go to the store (and potentially forgetting) to do so.

Ricky_R said:

Amazon is hard to beat when it comes to not paying on sales tax, shipping and usually pre-order credit. I've gotten burned on two "release day delivery" notifications so I haven't gone back unless it's a DOTD thing.

neoism

ApolloJoh said:
Yay, shipped! :D
:D fuuuu awesome guess I posted to soon lol mine just shipped UPS I really hope he doesn't show at like 6 pm or something. it makes prime and release day delivery not worth it when I can just go get it a walmart in the morning. I did get it for 57$ It will be even worse waiting for Skyrim.. :/

jett

D-Member
brandonh83 said:
Arne you should probably get another job because I think your studio is sitting right on top of an Indian burial ground.

lol aren't you like in chapter 1 or something, your brain will melt later on.

Ricky_R

Ok... It's evident now that I'm the lesser being for not shipping my games. ;)

I live in PR and some of those offers don't apply here though.

Juice

Just got in. Really important question, is there a way to permanently mute all inbound headset chatter? I really can't stand manually having to mute people every match.

neoism

Ricky_R said:

amazon prime is the shit man. At least when the ups man comes early... that and I save money on no taxes... :p

baekshi

Banned
Juice said:
Just got in. Really important question, is there a way to permanently mute all inbound headset chatter? I really can't stand manually having to mute people every match.
yes there is.. just click on your username and mute all :)

Ricky_R

Hey whatever happened to those Uncharted comic like animations? The ones that told the story before Uncharted 1 I think. Eye of the Indra or something?

Did ND say they were going to do more?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Juice said:
I don't get it. Where?
Click on your name while you're in the lobby (press X)...it'll give you the option to mute everyone then. It's dumb like that.

--

BTW, is it true that you can't do just survival or gold rush/siege through custom games in co-op arena? Because I've been reading that you'll be forced to play co-op arena like the beta, where it'll change to survival/gold rush/siege throughout the match. This shit better not be true. :\

Hey Jett or whoever else has already played it. Did you guys feel that the combat actually got way better in the later chapters
(Yemen, Ship..ect) Because it forced the enemy to have a more natural border from you so the AI couldn't run up and get stuck or do anything weird so you could kind of go back to playing with more gunplay involved.

jett said:
lol aren't you like in chapter 1 or something, your brain will melt later on.

Hahaha no kidding. I might be one of the few people that really loved the beginning especially chapter 2
Had a kind of Indiana Jones 3 going on

Anteater

wouwie said:
Currently at Chapter 14 and i never expected this, but i'm not enjoying it as much as UC2 and 1.

Naughty Dog tried to hard to impress with awesome setpieces. In fact, so far, the game feels like going from one setpiece/cutscene to the other. Gone is the gameplay where you could take your time, plan your strategy on how to tackle a situation. Almost gone is the moments of exploring an area without any rush. I feel like being on a giant rollercoaster: everything needs to be fast, spectacular, big, bold, huge and impressive but in the end, you don't have that much impact on it. I just don't feel like i've played much of a game yet.

Pacing feels strange and the game and story doesn't flow as nicely as in UC2 and 1. You go from one location to the other so fast and always following the same strategy: puzzle > secret passage > discovery > going back > enemy is right on your tail > shoot-out/run quickly/set piece and repeat...

Gunplay doesn't seem as fun anymore. Melee is forced upon the player and you can not stay in cover anymore. Aiming seems different and not as accurate. Enemies seem to take a lot more bullets again (think more UC1 than UC2).

Locations aren't as imaginative as in UC2 and UC1. Image quality seems slightly worse.

The more i play from UC3, the more i appreciate how awesome UC2 and UC1 actually were. I'd easily rate them both 10/10 since i loved them so much. UC3 feels closer to an 8 so far. Too guided, too much hand-holding, too many setpieces,... Naughty Dog tried too hard. Understandable in a way, but they had such a good thing going with UC2. I would have been happy with a lot more of the same. I'm a slow player. I like to enjoy the environments and take everything in. I like the feeling of not being rushed to tackle a situation. I like the feeling when something goes as planned.

I replayed UC1 and 2 many times (at least 4 times) but so far, there haven't been that many chapters i'd like to revisit from UC3. I only got the real Uncharted vibe in Chapter 6 so far.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game adn absolutely worth playing if you had any interest in the previous games. It just doesn't seem as good as UC2 and 1, which are among my favourite games ever. So far, it's the least favourite from the 3.

Disappointing to hear some of the points, hopefully I'll enjoy the roller coaster ride when I pick it up, thanks for the impression!

dragonflys545 said:
GOD! Hopefully Target has both Uncharted 3 and Lord of The Rings tomorrow!!

I wish I had the cash, I'd totally get those two and Sonic Generations tomorrow at Target. Both of my Uncharted 3 CE copies were paid off in store credit at GS.

Mooreberg

I was intending to play co-op first but according to some podcasts it spoils "things" from the campaign so I guess I'll do the usual routine and play that first. And yeah, Amazon has not shipped yet for me either. Not the worst scenario in the world since I've already spent 20 hours with one part of the game, but it looks like I'll be cautious about what threads I read for longer than I expected to.

quaere

wouwie said:
Naughty Dog tried to hard to impress with awesome setpieces. In fact, so far, the game feels like going from one setpiece/cutscene to the other. Gone is the gameplay where you could take your time, plan your strategy on how to tackle a situation. Almost gone is the moments of exploring an area without any rush. I feel like being on a giant rollercoaster: everything needs to be fast, spectacular, big, bold, huge and impressive but in the end, you don't have that much impact on it. I just don't feel like i've played much of a game yet.

Pacing feels strange and the game and story doesn't flow as nicely as in UC2 and 1. You go from one location to the other so fast and always following the same strategy: puzzle > secret passage > discovery > going back > enemy is right on your tail > shoot-out/run quickly/set piece and repeat...
I'm at the same place.

Agree with this entire paragraph especially the bold. This is what's misleading when people say UC3 is more of an adventure game. More puzzles, sure, but it really, really needs time to breathe.
wouwie said:
Melee is forced upon the player and you can not stay in cover anymore.
Agree. It doesn't help that the melee AI is so dumb.
wouwie said:
Aiming seems different and not as accurate. Enemies seem to take a lot more bullets again (think more UC1 than UC2).

Locations aren't as imaginative as in UC2 and UC1. Image quality seems slightly worse.
Disagree on both. The enemies seem about the same as far as being bullet sponges and I find the locations flat out amazing as in UC2.

ApolloJoh

neoism said:
:D fuuuu awesome guess I posted to soon lol mine just shipped UPS I really hope he doesn't show at like 6 pm or something.

I hope not. Had this happen when I got Prime Release Day shipping with MvC3.

They better know Uncharted 3's top priority. :mad:

Purexed

Banned
Few chapters in and the scenery is simply stunning. Like all 3D enabled games, the image quality takes a hit and it's not worth it in the short time I've played. Turned it off and got the sharp graphics I remembered from U2. If Naughty Dog can't deliver 3D without the huge trade offs, I'm convinced the PS3 isn't capable of compelling 3D on the real AAA style efforts.

Back to U3!

Just played the first 2 chapters. First of all, I totally predicted what was going to happen from chapter 1 to 2. And secondly, holy shit does this game look gorgeous.

Nitpicks, however, include noticeable seams in the geometry, and the over animation people have pointed out. Too often I have found it annoying how he hops a couple steps before turning around especially when you notice something last second and don't get that sudden stop and turn around that you expect.

And 3D does look good, but I noticed it removed some pots of plants in an area I tested it in. So I'll save it for a future playthrough.

Ricky_R said:

That's what suckers do. Gotta be smarter with your money, especially in this economy. Paying full retail for a game is silly.

Wow, there were actually 80 people in line at some people's stores? I just got back from GS. Rolled in at like 12:02, clerk behind the corner's like,

"man you just missed the crowd!"
"Oh really?"
"Yep, all 8 of 'em, 2 were in for Sonic Generations and the other 6 Uncharted"

Gonna boot up the game in a sec. Hope it lives up to my expectations

quaere said:
I'm at the same place.

Agree with this entire paragraph especially the bold. This is what's misleading when people say UC3 is more of an adventure game. More puzzles, sure, but it really, really needs time to breathe.

Agree. It doesn't help that the melee AI is so dumb.

Disagree on both. The enemies seem about the same as far as being bullet sponges and I find the locations flat out amazing as in UC2.
Someone needs to explain to me the idea that your not exploring anymore.
all the chateau level pushes for is exploration.

CyReN

ArachosiA 78 said:
That's what suckers do. Gotta be smarter with your money, especially in this economy. Paying full retail for a game is silly.

Truth, between Gears of War 3,Batman Arkham City, and Battlefield 3 I've saved a lot with no taxes and got $50 in gift cards with Amazon.

Hope my copy comes from Gamefly tomorrow.

Ricky_R

ArachosiA 78 said:

I don't really care that much about saving some bucks on games, but it sure wouldn't kill me to try some offers if they apply here.

Guess I'm a careless sucker.

IT'S ALMOST HERE! TOMORROW MORNING!

I'm skipping class to get it. I'll grab the regular edition cause the statue doesn't look that impressive. I'll buy the Mezco statue when it's released maybe.

5955119424_d79ccdc83f_b.jpg

Replicant

Ricky_R said:

I want the Steelbook case. The Australian version is Drake's journal-styled case.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just beat the game on Normal. 7 hours, 51 minutes. 43 treasures collected.

My snap reaction is that I liked U2 a little more, but it's very possible I'm only remembering that game's highs, and not the parts I wouldn't care to play again.

Regardless of the U2 > U3 debate on GAF & in my own head, it's still incredible what Naughty Dog has achieved. Uncharted 3 does things that no video game has done before - things that I wouldn't have even imagined a game could do.

The depth of the environments... their artistic fidelity... it is seemingly endless. I liked Deus Ex. I loved Gears 3, but goddamn... Naughty Dog's artists absolutely shame them.

Probably a spoiler post of impressions to follow.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The first 30 mins is fucking amazing. Even with not a lot happening. The atmosphere is.. so damn good. Voice acting, graphics, everything is all top notch. I can tell this will be my GOTY already.

Gunfights are getting better. I still dont understand why they focused on melee so much.
Have to say game looks gorgeous and music is better than first two games combined.
Also wtf happened to Elena's face?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I never preordered… this isnt going to be in short supply right? Could probably just stroll into the store tomorrow?

Loudninja

DevelopmentArrested said:
Gunfights are getting better. I still dont understand why they focused on melee so much.
Have to say game looks gorgeous and music is better than first two games combined.
I think thy wanted to mixed it up more, people did complain about the amount of gunfights. :)

So goooood. The only one thing i'm not feeling is the melee.

I'm in chapter 6 now and the game looks much better than UC2, the lightning puts it over the top for me.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Also wtf happened to Elena's face?

Elena's face like the gunflights seems to get better.

Top Bottom