• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 Spoilers Thread

Loudninja

SolidSnakex said:
Well, some people. I was perfectly happy with the games largely being focused on Drake and Elena. But there are rumors that Emily's schedule with Haven caused some issues with her having time to record the cutscenes in Uncharted. I'm not sure if that's true though.
True but I like they they focus on those 2, Elena had plenty of screentime though UC1 and UC2.

Nate and Elena did have some really nice scenes in UC3 though.

Loudninja said:
Its all about Nate and Sully,thats what people wanted.

And don't get me wrong, I love the banter between the guys but Elena and Drake always had something going since the first game, and with Chloe entered the picture it was a wild card to the game- I loved it. I just wish they had gone further with it.

I'm not asking for a cheesy romance novel or anything I just enjoy their characters as well.

The Uncharted title for the Vita, were there returning characters or were new ones shown off?

Cruzader

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Maybe UC4 has a past job of Nate's and Sully's come back to bite them in the ass.
U4 for PS4 should have flashbacks of U1 and U2 with sections from those games LOL. Imagine that? That would be so weird. Sorta like the MGS4 flashback stuff. *xzibit.jpeg*

What I miss is 2 more chapters at the end.

Probably Iram could have been an underground city, and had a full chapter of caves until we got to the real city, more time in the city (maybe some puzzles) and then a full chapter of escaping of Iram, maybe even with some supernatural being that went out of the case that you don't fight directly, but you bury in the sands when you scape.

The end feels too rushed. It lacks a full hour in the city, instead of the 20 minutes that you are in there. A platform puzzle, a gunshot, three quick gunshots with fake djinns, another gunshot and the boss melee.

BY2K

Membero Americo
How did Talbot survived Cutter's shot? Was that ever explained?

And the whole Sully's Death hallucination is done brilliantly.

daoster

So I know that some have a problem with the controls and aiming for U3, but other than that did Naughty God alleviate most of people's complaints of previous game?

- Nate was less of a "mass murderer" in this game than previous. Of course, towards the end, it still became a shoot fest, but seemed like he didn't kill so many "innocent" people this time around. (A silly complaint, I found, but one that people seemed to bring up a lot).

- Harder puzzles. Definitely took to another level with Uncharted 3 in terms of puzzles. I won't lie, I had to look at a walk through for one of the puzzles.

- Less supernatural stuff. In fact, the way they handled supernatural in this game was freaking brilliant.

- A final boss that wasn't stupidly difficult or came out of nowhere. Damn, that was pure emotion on Talbot's part...I friggin love it.

And I know Elena wasn't in the game as much as U2, but man...some of the scenes between her and Drake were great, despite this game focusing on Victor and Nate's relationship.

Part of me doesn't want the series to end here....this can't be the last time we see the cast can we? The other part of me....just want this series to end here...it's perfect where it is (side games on the VITA are okay :D)

Hazelhurst

krae_man said:
I didn't believe it for one second.
Yeah, no way they were going to off Sully. I was thinking they were going to borrow from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and use "special" water to heal Sully's wounds and bring him back to life. I did not see the hallucination thing coming. I was surprised.

krae_man

Hazelhurst said:
Yeah, no way they were going to off Sully. I was thinking they were going to borrow from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and use "special" water to heal Sully's wounds and bring him back to life. I did not see the hallucination thing coming. I was surprised.

That's exactly what I thought would happen too for a second. But after Nate didn't talk to Sully after being shot and Talbot didn't shoot at Nate, I just thought the whole thing didn't make sense.

echothreealpha said:
Is Cutter and Chloe an item?

And we need more Cutter. Guy was awesome.

Cutter would have been a good character to kill. We actually got to know him and like him, instead of camera guy Jeff who was introduced just to die 5 minutes later.

ThisWreckage said:
Having one flashback sequence was underwhelming to me. I would have loved to have seen some cut scenes and gameplay segments that showed exactly how Sully groomed Nate. This would have also made the campaign longer. A huge opportunity missed there.

This too. It's implied that Sully taught Nate everything he knew, but Sully still comes off as a gambler type who isn't that bright. “Whata ya talkin' about kid?” kind of stuff. Yet Nate goes from a pick pocket with a troubled childhood to a gun-toting archeologist that seems to know a lot of history. Again, Ioved the game, but it seemed like Sully was forced into the father figure because fans liked Sully. The nods to the Last Crusade were obvious, but Sully is no Sean Connery. Shit, what if Nate's real dad was kidnapped by Marlow and the story was about how much Sully was more of a real father? That's fan fic territory though.

BY2K said:
How did Talbot survived Cutter's shot? Was that ever explained?

And the whole Sully's Death hallucination is done brilliantly.

The Broken Ska Record said:
What was the point of the dead agent in France?

Also, I loved the misdirect concerning Sully's "death." The game was setting up his death, it felt like.

The answers are somewhere in this thread and it's in the OT, but Amy Hennig said the following:

Hey - I saw people are also confused about Talbot getting shot, and disappearing... maybe I can elaborate a little...

Marlowe's crew is supposed to be a highly-trained clandestine organization, with roots stretching back to Elizabeth I and earlier. Sort of like CIA/MI6 secret intelligence service type ops... so the idea is they have lots of means to confound their enemies like a secret arm of the CIA or MI6 might, for example. Like Cutter says, manipulating their enemies through espionage, deception, fear.

This is based on real-life clandestine ops, and "the art of deception". Groups like the CIA really used magician's tricks as well as drugs, etc. to trick and frighten their enemies. So - you can assume there's a rational explanation behind these mysteries... e.g., a bulletproof vest, an escape rope/wire, whatever--which looks "magical" but has a rational explanation, just like a magician's trick.

Magic, tricks, deception, illusion, perception vs. reality - these are themes throughout the game. Abra-godd*mn-cadabra. "

- at this point I interjected a few comments and then asked about the Dead Agent found in the Chateau - Her reply:

"Yeah, the spiders got him. (If you can manage to get a peek at Agent Harris' body in the crypt puzzle room, he looks the same" :)

next part:

If you watch closely, you can see that Cutter had three Tarot cards pasted in his journal - The High Priestess, The Magician, and The Tower. (When you get Cutter's journal later, notice that the Tower card is gone...)

When Talbot takes the journal from him, they remove the Tower card and slip it into Cutter's jacket.

You can also see notes in Cutter's journal about the other cards - The High Priestess = Marlowe, The Magician = Talbot.

The Tarot is full of Hermetic symbolism, which ties into what Cutter was saying in that one scene, about the ancient secret society. And how Hermetic mysticism is all tied up in it. So planting the card on Cutter is sort of an ominous, creepy warning to him and the others. Since it predicted his own fate - or at least the fate they orchestrated for him.

Try googling some stuff about Tarot and The Tower, too. (And the other cards) There's other symbolism there, too, it's just more oblique. Plus it's all payback for him duping them as Drake's "inside man", earlier. Fitting payback, since he's the one that has deduced all this. Sort of like showing him "oh you think you're so clever, looking who you're f*cking with" ;)

- at this point, I asked if I could post these replies to the forum-, the rest of her replies:

Sure. I tend to like to write stories that require interpretation, rather than laying everything out, so I'm happy to elaborate. ;)"

I'm sure I'm not the only one but I was totally expecting Talbot to be Nathan's long lost twin brother or something. They look very similar in the face and build.

GillianSeed79 said:
This too. It's implied that Sully taught Nate everything he knew, but Sully still comes off as a gambler type who isn't that bright. “Whata ya talkin' about kid?” kind of stuff. Yet Nate goes from a pick pocket with a troubled childhood to a gun-toting archeologist that seems to know a lot of history. Again, Ioved the game, but it seemed like Sully was forced into the father figure because fans liked Sully. The nods to the Last Crusade were obvious, but Sully is no Sean Connery. Shit, what if Nate's real dad was kidnapped by Marlow and the story was about how much Sully was more of a real father? That's fan fic territory though.
I don't have anything in front of me to go by right now, but wasn't it always implied that their relationship was as such?

Gibbo

Just completed it. I can't decide if it is better than UC2; but it certainly isn't worse off.

What I am certain about is that the soundtrack is the best in the series. One of the top soundtracks of the year even imo.

Luthos

My gradual reactions to the fire-head guys: "wtf was that!?" "lol, these fire guys are neat, I love the noise they make when you kill them" and then later at the fountain area "ARGHLGNNGNG I HATE THESE GUYS"

Also, I like that they went more with Sully, but I admit I missed having more of Elena. I guess I'm a sappy romantic, but I wanted more. Though we did get some good scenes between the two. Love the scene where Nate shows up at her place, and then falls asleep on her lap. And then the part at the airport when he told her to get in the jeep and go.

Carl

I just realised the scene from the first trailer "That's all real pretty but what the hell does it mean in English?" "It means be careful what you wish for...it might just get you" wasn't actually in the game :p Gawd i'm slow.

Also noticed a few cool references on my Crushing playthrough - like Of Mice and Men and LittleBigPlanet.

jiggles

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
The answers are somewhere in this thread and it's in the OT, but Amy Hennig said the following:

The co-op also seems to imply they were going to make a bigger deal about the illusionary traits of Marlowe's crew. In the second chapter, they just appear in a puff of smoke rather than enter normally. This also gives context to the Smoke Bomb kickback in multiplayer. I get the feeling they were supposed to magically appear like that in the campaign, but they cut it late in development because it seemed a little too silly.

(._.)

Banned
I have a few questions and thoughts about this game. I just finished it and it was better than Uncharted 2 by a mile mostly because it had far less wonky boring arena shootouts.

I'm confused though...

What was with that one henchman that always followed around the evil woman? He had super powers throughout it and it made no sense. they never even explained it. He even got shot in one scene and would vanish often

did drake marry elana and get a divorce between U2-U3?

I don't remember the 4th wheel of the group during the first half of the game. The british guy. Elena said he was in U2 when you arrived in the desert. Somebody remind me his role in U2 please.

rhino4evr

krae_man said:
I'm disappointed the supernatural creatures were just a brief hallucination. It feels like Uncharted 3 was missing the final 4-5 chapters the first two games had.

I like this one more then U2 because of the greater emphasis on Platforming and mele, but 2 is by far the better game.

Anyone else encounter tons of glitches? I encountered several.

The game crashed on me at the start of chapter 10 when I tried to walk the other way in search of treasures, In the shipyard Nate warped like 5 ledges ahead a couple of times on me and on a couple of occasions durring the shoot people above you while climbing up a wall sections my gun was and redicle were not in sync.

The worst one I encountered though was durring the ending escape. At the part where you are jumping from platform to platform while the sand is moving them. They weren't moving at all and the sand wasn't there. I was jumping from platform to platform and nothing was happening until I fell through one and died. Then when the game restarted all the scripting happened like it was supposed to.

I ran into a few bugs. In Chapter 12, when you start climbing the ship and the camera pans away to show the entire ship, it was completely missing, and then popped up.

Lots of bugs in the chapter 22 escape scene. At first the floating platforms didnt show up, and it looked like you could run on the sand, beacuse that's what Sully was doing. After i died they showed back up.

Next error occurred when I missed a jump and died. The game restarted me at a further check point.

Finally, on the last jump in the game, I totally missed it, and Drake appeared to be floating for a second, and then it cut to the end cut scene. Kind of a disappointing way to finish. 3 bugs in a row. Guess my old school PS3 was struggling to keep up.

renitou

Rushed ending, poor pacing. Fun ride almost all the way through though, if a lesser game overall compared to its predecessor.

Gibbo said:
What I am certain about is that the soundtrack is the best in the series. One of the top soundtracks of the year even imo.
The score is one area where I have no problem giving Uncharted 3 the edge over 2, though both are fantastic.

(._.) said:
I have a few questions and thoughts about this game. I just finished it and it was better than Uncharted 2 by a mile mostly because it had far less wonky boring arena shootouts.

I'm confused though...

What was with that one henchman that always followed around the evil woman? He had super powers throughout it and it made no sense. they never even explained it. He even got shot in one scene and would vanish often

did drake marry elana and get a divorce between U2-U3?

I don't remember the 4th wheel of the group during the first half of the game. The british guy. Elena said he was in U2 when you arrived in the desert. Somebody remind me his role in U2 please.

Talbot was Marlowe's second-in-command. He's an experienced spy that tends to use trickery and deception to spook his opponents, hence his use of theatricality like smoke, bullet proof vests and tarot cards to screw with people's heads. That's why he's referred to as 'The Magician'.

Drake married Elena, but they split up because of his obsession with Marlowe and Sir Francis Drake. I doubt they got officially divorced, they're back together now.

Charlie Cutter is a new character introduced in this game. He was never in Uncharted 2, though it seems Elena met him at some point between UC2 and UC3 as he is a friend of Drake's.

Chuck

Still without luck
I didn't much care for Cutter's sidekick-like moments in the game. Nate is smart enough to figure it out. :\

BY2K

Membero Americo
I liked how Naughty Dog did Chloe and Cutter in this game. Instead of going for the dramatic way of having them killed somehow because they go all the way, they act like REAL human being instead.

"No, this is too much for me and too dangerous, it isn't worth it. I'm out."

hamchan

ChuckNoLuck said:
I didn't much care for Cutter's sidekick-like moments in the game. Nate is smart enough to figure it out. :\
I think Charlie Cutter is just as smart as Nate. He's pretty much the same except rougher looking and British.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Charlie Cutter is a new character introduced in this game. He was never in Uncharted 2, though it seems Elena met him at some point between UC2 and UC3 as he is a friend of Drake's.
Probably at the wedding. I can imagine him getting drunk and causing a ruckus.

TacticalFox88 said:
Please tell me I wasn't the only one expecting Cutter to betray you? I'm so glad they didn't go there.

Yeah, it was awesome. I was expecting it, and then when it didn't happen, I was like 'Oh cool, he really is loyal'.

Nice to see Drake have an equal to him in the treasure hunting department.

Dever

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
Please tell me I wasn't the only one expecting Cutter to betray you? I'm so glad they didn't go there.

I was expecting him to either betray you or die. So there were a few moments where I was like "Here it comes", but it never happened. :p

BannedEpisode said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one but I was totally expecting Talbot to be Nathan's long lost twin brother or something. They look very similar in the face and build.

Since Talbot's reveal in the trailer, I speculated that he was the real descendant of Sir Francis Drake, and that "Drake's Deception" would have been that Nate had stolen his identity and ring.

dalin80

Banned
I don't care what a bad piece of story telling says, Nathan Drakes real name is Nathan Drake. I hold this with the same conviction as I do the fact that there are only 3 Indiana Jones movies.

That is my main complaint, a small thrown out line that damages the character and his motives throughout all 3 games.

Other negatives-

controls need tightening
abrupt end to chloes/cutters story
game ending was a bit too familiar
unexplained magical powers*
if i was attacked by a swarm of killer death spiders it would be a fairly central conversation piece.

Asides from that I rate the game about the same as U2, the character interactions are awesome, there are moments between drake and elena that are some of the best I have seen in any medium let alone in a game. sully as a farther figure is nicely fleshed out without beating the player over the head with it, understated lines really help where more generic trashy scripts would have turned the storyline to cheese.
Always nice to see chloe return but feel that she was under-utilised, cutter was also a interesting new addition without undermining the main character arks, the character was fairly funny and never felt like he had overstayed his welcome. Marlowe was a excellent new villain and allowed a much more different dynamic but the backstory of her group needed just a tiny bit more detail, a few too many niggly things weren't well covered, the characters death was also a little subdued and iam undecided on whether that was a good or bad thing.

Dont know WTF was going on with talbot, how the game can go from peerless interactions between the maincast to poorly realised and under-developed main villains is very odd.

As usual set-pieces, graphics and atmosphere were god tier, going into one area you would think it cant get any better then this only to be amazed by the next. The death of ramsays and the posiedon-esque escape was brilliant, ramsays turning his gun to the now submerged glass wall was a terrific end.

Fantastic game, the flaws only highlight how great the rest of it is and the control patch cant come soon enough to take some of the frustration out of combat. Still feel that U2 is a bit better but for me the series still ranks as the best of this generation.

*while some things are best left unexplained you cant just have a witch walk into a episode of House, turn wilson into a banana and walk off again with no mention of the issue or explanation at any point again.

Dr.Acula

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:

I also enjoyed going to "rescue" Cutter and Chloe. What? You guys are fine? Well then. My biggest disappointment was the end sequence being an almost carbon copy of UC2. Really? Running through the lost city as it collapses AGAIN? The boat level and desert level were great.

I thought the game started off kind of underwhelmingly, but when it got to the boat it really started picking up. The enemies were a lot less annoying in this game. It could have stood to be another hour or three longer, but overall I have to say this was the best in the series. Hopefully they do a fourth.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
dalin80 said:
That is my main complaint, a small thrown out line that damages the character and his motives throughout all 3 games.

I disagree. Whether Nate is truly a descendant of Sir Francis Drake or not shouldn't really matter to us, the audience. He is the man he is.

That being said, Marlowe knowing his true background does supply a very specific, emotional, motivation for him wanting to beat her; people who reinvent themselves are often trying to get away from /forget who they really were and where they came from.

Drake's story arc tracks his transformation from a kid who models himself on a legendary adventurer, but who ultimately is more defined by the example/tutelage of Sully's father figure. The realization of this is the heart of the tale.

When Sully passes him the ring it symbolizes his acceptance of his fatherhood, which is a big thing for both of them. Elena sees this, which is why she's initially loathe to encourage the adventure - yet shows no such qualms once Sully falls into Marlowe's hands.

Its a very well crafted story. Yeah its unoriginal and a bit cliche, but its told with wit and verve and most of all, the characters are genuinely appealing and likeable.

Great stuff.

rhino4evr

The idea that Nathan Drake was the heir to Sir Francis Drake always seemed way too corny to me. I was actually pleased when Naughty Dog realized this also.

Trick_GSF

Banned
BannedEpisode said:

Nah, you wasn't alone. I had that feeling too. Due to him being British I also though Nate's family or some of his family might originate from the UK for the Francis Drake connection.

hamchan said:
I think Charlie Cutter is just as smart as Nate. He's pretty much the same except rougher looking and British.

Indeed, and the game was better for it. As I said here or in the OT, it was nice to have someone on Nate's level. As for the most part, in previous games, his companions are often left a step behind Nate in terms of clues, etc.

Well, considering he was in an orphanage named "Sir Francis...", i can perfectly understand why he considers himself his heir. It was pretty smart, the whole game.

They hinted you of betrayal in many parts of the game, but it didnt happen. There were many supernatural hints, but it didn't happen either.

So nothing was really predictable, except Nate surviving ofc.

jett

D-Member
blitzcloud said:
Well, considering he was in an orphanage named "Sir Francis...", i can perfectly understand why he considers himself his heir. It was pretty smart, the whole game.

They hinted you of betrayal in many parts of the game, but it didnt happen. There were many supernatural hints, but it didn't happen either.

So nothing was really predictable, except Nate surviving ofc.

heh, is this true? I didn't catch it/make the connection.

IMBored

Does anyone know when does Uncharted Vita takes place.
Seeing that Elena knows Cutter somehow, and she and Drake splitted up again maybe Vita is set in the past and sets the events for U3.

IMBored said:
Seeing that Elena knows Cutter somehow, and she and Drake splitted up again maybe Vita is set in the past and sets the events for U3.
Before uc1 but has no ties to the console counterparts.

Trick_GSF

Banned
IMBored said:

It's a prequel in the fact it takes places before Uncharted Drake's Fortune, but not in the fact it ties/leads into the game.

They've said Sully will appear and in the opining cutscene Drake says "Chloe said you were special" - or something to that effect. So Chloe might appear. Elana will definitely not appear, though. Cutter? Highly unlikely but it is at least a possibility.

jett said:
heh, is this true? I didn't catch it/make the connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAO2ATaD_bo&feature=player_detailpage#t=1502s

Mother suicides. Dad surrenders him to the state at the age of 5. Entrusted to the St.Francis boys home... (sinister chuckle) So dickensian.

Also I bet that when he learned about St.Francis, he wanted the motto of "greatness from small beginnings to be his path aswell, considering his humble origin. I thought U3 was very good storywise.

EXGN

Really, really great game. The story kept me on my toes as to what would happen next - I totally thought Cutter was gonna betray me, and then I also had suspicions of Sully.

They got me with Sully's death for a few seconds, especially because Marlowe was always talking about hurting Nate in a way that physical pain couldn't, but I felt his 'death' was kinda underwhelming and not really fit for his character.

Only real disappointment was the ending - I felt it played out too much like the ending of U2. And I hate that Drake always has to be the good guy at the end, saving Marlowe was hard to watch.

As for Nate's last name not being Drake - he could still be a descendant of Drake, like he said, Drake could have had bastard children along the line.

me during the last hour

"STOP TRYING TO KILL SULLY YOU BASTARDS!"

First he was dead.. then he nearly dies like 2 more times.

NEVER MAKE ME THINK SULLY IS DEAD AGAIN NAUGHTY DOG! YOU MONSTERS!

mr_chun

rhino4evr said:
The idea that Nathan Drake was the heir to Sir Francis Drake always seemed way too corny to me. I was actually pleased when Naughty Dog realized this also.
I agree with this.

Though, I wish they had gone into it just a *smidge* more. That line and the "St. Francis" orphanage bit were all we got. I wish it had come up in conversation with one of the other main characters- even if he just quickly brushed it off as "not important", that would have been enough for me. It just kinda seems thrown in there as is.

Top Bottom