• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3: the single-player aiming problems thread [Details in Op, Please Read]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
I haven't played it yet (waiting on my shipment), but from the description in the OP, it sounds like it feels like Warhawk. Is this true? That would be a total dealbreaker for me.

But IGN gave this 10s across the board so it should be perfect.

Picking this up today and I'm a little apprehensive now. I don't want to HAVE to struggle with something as fundamental as aiming :/

Sullichin

I honestly only notice this on pistols (so far) and it's not bad, I wouldn't mind if it were faster on max sensitivity though.

StuBurns

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I haven't played it yet (waiting on my shipment), but from the description in the OP, it sounds like it feels like Warhawk. Is this true? That would be a total dealbreaker for me.
It feels like you're moving a reticule on a 2D plane, not moving an arm in a 3D world.

Guevara

Mama Robotnik said:
I've not played the game yet.

But if this problem is so noticeable by a reasonable number of players, why the heck wasn't it mentioned in the reviews?

Could this have been fixed in the prerelease version and broken in the final build? Or is it just a case of reviewers being shit?
Some reviewers literally do not pick up the controller when then they review a game. They have the game played in front of them by someone on the publisher's staff. Read about the GTA:IV review process. Basically reviewers got 24 hours in a hotel room with Rockstar staff sitting next to them, willing to take over at any time:
Most reviewers were not sent advance copies of the game, and instead had to attend Rockstar offices or sit in booked hotel rooms to play the game.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7370590.stm

BigJiantRobut said:
Dead-zone seems to be the biggest issue for me. It reminds me of the awful Resident Evil 4 HD aiming.

Funny you should mention that. I *just* finished RE4 on PS3. The aiming sure felt a lot better.

OK, different kind of game TBH. But still.

Hazanko

Banned
I've had trouble with the aiming too. It feels clunky and not precise. I didn't play the UC3 multiplayer much so it's not because I'm used to that. Just don't like how it feels.

Sullichin

Guevara said:
Some reviewers literally do not pick up the controller when then they review a game. They have the game played in front of them by someone on the publisher's staff. Read about the GTA:IV review process. Basically reviewers got 24 hours in a hotel room with Rockstar staff sitting next to them, willing to take over at any time:

Um.. they still played it, they didn't watch someone else play it. How are you deducing this?

I haven't had an issue with it but it definitely feels shitty. My kills come as a surprise to me to be honest.

Rushed game is rushed but surprisingly still looks good. Can't emphasize enough how much I can't stand the psone era seams throughout chapter 2.

ced

Sullichin said:
I honestly only notice this on pistols (so far) and it's not bad, I wouldn't mind if it were faster on max sensitivity though.

This is a good point, and I mentioned it in the OT. I was going to do some testing tonight.

It seemed like there was one gun I had none of the issues with, it was a M9(?) rifle I believe, early in the game.

I had the aiming issues with the silenced pistol, .45 and the Kal 7, pretty much to the point I couldn't continue playing. The M9 only showed up once and had limited ammo with no refills.

StuBurns said:
It feels like you're moving a reticule on a 2D plane, not moving an arm in a 3D world.

That's a decent way to put it. Sometimes I have to just use shotguns and melee because the aiming is so terrible.

test_account

XP-39C²
I've only played on hard difficulty and after beating the game i cant say that i noticed anything that was off in the aiming? It was sometimes a bit hard though, but i think that is just because of the nature of using a controller instead of using mouse/keyboard.

Phonomezer said:
But IGN gave this 10s across the board so it should be perfect.

Picking this up today and I'm a little apprehensive now. I don't want to HAVE to struggle with something as fundamental as aiming :/

If you use sniper rifles or GMAL (FAL) a lot, which many of the firefights are so dynamic that you never will have to, you'll definitely notice it.

I can only describe it like, it's like uh... if you are aiming down scope, the dot sight will slowly move (smoothly, but slow) and without any change in your pressure on the analog stick, it will speed up very suddenly. It is incredibly hard to get headshots in this game compared to UC1 and UC2 (the easiest by far, felt like the bullets were as big as baseballs).

Its definitely worth picking up and I imagine they'll patch this, but yeah, if that aiming issue sort of thing bothers you and you want to platinum the game, it's going to be frustrating.

LProtag

I dunno, I must have gotten used to it as I managed to get through the game just fine. Well I mean, I died plenty during the hard shootouts but, yeah.

I suppose it could be improved, but I haven't done like a U2/U3 comparison or anything. Everything can always be improved. My point is it's hardly unplayable.

I asked in this in the OT, but can you change difficulty mid-game? I've heard there's less auto-aim on hard. That said, while it's kind of annoying, it's not really game breaking for me. I'm only on Chapter 6 or 7 and love the game to bits.

baekshi

Banned
Toki767 said:
Aiming might be off but you learn to adapt. Beat the game on Crushing without any real problems so while I liked 2's aiming better, I can't complain too much about the aiming on this.

Also, sensitivity to the max helps most people.
This.

Heck, I didn't even move my sensitivity.

GillianSeed79 said:
I asked in this in the OT, but can you change difficulty mid-game? I've heard there's less auto-aim on hard. That said, while it's kind of annoying, it's not really game breaking for me. I'm only on Chapter 6 or 7 and love the game to bits.

Yes, you can.

Nizz

I haven't played U3, but just what is the deal with recent big name PS3 games with deadzone/acceleration problems? Battlefield 3's aiming on PS3 is jacked too...

Reallink

I'm so tired of Dual Analog shooters and all this bullshit they inevitably wind up implementing trying to fix it. Release a fucking Festival of Blood style Move patch ND.

Oh forgot to mention but should probably give credit to ND for making the melee combat MUCH better and dynamic that the other games. Its totally a step toward Batman Arkham City but not too much.

GillianSeed79 said:

Yeah you can change the difficulty mid game but it will jeopardize your difficulty completion trophies.

Haven't played the Sp yet but the aiming felt off in the Subway beta too. I have no idea how they broke something that needed no fixing, it was perfect in UC2, both MP and SP.

ced

So this is an easy test, someone who is having aiming issues go play a bit where you have issues and then replay it on crushing difficulty and see if it's better. This would isolate the auto aim as the culprit.

It's weird though cause I didn't notice any auto aim on normal, maybe cause it's so broken.

Himself

I think the shooting was terrible in UC1 and just good enough, yet still not much fun in UC2. Shooting is not one of the series' strong points. Not surprised. I'm still looking forward to playing it.

Hope it's not a game breaker. If the single player is still fun and playable than I can look passed it.

As long as the MP is fine than I think it should be okay. But a patch is still a must if this is really a program error.

LiK

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Hope it's not a game breaker. If the single player is still fun and playable than I can look passed it.

As long as the MP is fine than I think it should be okay. But a patch is still a must if this is really a program error.
SP still fun and playable. But I dunno if I wanna play MP with this issue.

Himself said:
I think the shooting was terrible in UC1 and just good enough, yet still not much fun in UC2. Shooting is not one of the series' strong points. Not surprised. I'm still looking forward to playing it.

Shooting was solid in UC1 and great in UC2.

upJTboogie said:
Haven't played the Sp yet but the aiming felt off in the Subway beta too. I have no idea how they broke something that needed no fixing, it was perfect in UC2, both MP and SP.

Yup. Somewhere between the beta, and the Subway promotion they did some tinkering, and none of it was for the better, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of that tinkering is now evident in these single player aiming complaints.

we.are.the.armada said:
Oh forgot to mention but should probably give credit to ND for making the melee combat MUCH better and dynamic that the other games. Its totally a step toward Batman Arkham City but not too much.

I absolutely adore the new melee combat. And it doesn't need to be like Arkham City. Drake fights like a street brawler and the mechanics work perfectly for that style. He doesn't need to fight like Batman.

LiK said:
SP still fun and playable. But I dunno if I wanna play MP with this issue.
Same here. It'd be beyond frustrating.

Good thing there's no problem in MP.

But how could they get it wrong with SP? Is it an issue with auto-aiming? All they had to do was do what they did with UC1 and UC2. Makes no sense.

But UC1 and UC2's bad guys were bullet sponges anyway. Head shots with a little pistol was more effective than pumping bullets with a assault rifle. Maybe they wanted head shots to be more difficult, I don't know.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, the aiming problems were apparent the moment I first aimed a gun. It's very rigid, and it most definitely feels inferior to UC2. The game is great so far, but it could be much greater if they fix the aiming. I find it pretty hilarious that people actually deny it. Would you rather the game was improved, or would you rather just play damage control? It's ridiculous yo.

Hopefully ND have a patch on the way.

styl3s

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Max sensitivity definitely helped me. I'm fine with it now, but it is different from UC2 for sure.
This.

Beat this game on hard with high sensitivity, at first it was annoying but i got used to it, the aiming was defiantly better in 2 but it's not THAT bad, i had no problem beating it or popping people in the head.

LiK said:
I will max my sensitivity tonight and see if it helps. I just started last night.

I tried that last night and it seemed too fast, but I finally settled on just one notch above default. Felt closer to U2, but still not perfect.

ACESmkII

I knew something felt a bit off regarding aiming. It felt so much smoother in UC2.

How does something like this and and the Battlefield 3 input lag fiasco pass QA??

I'm still enjoying UC3 but I hope the issue is addressed.

jax (old)

Banned
this thread makes me sad. Seriously?? WTH naughtydog.

I hope when I get the game today that this doesn't annoy me - I'm very sensitive to game "annoyances" and once something is off; I notice them and lose interest in the game very quickly.

I missed it but in the OP.. (um, who... plays the game on normal?). You should always play on hard.

I'm finding the aiming to be extremely imprecise, and I've tried it at all levels of sensitivity. I don't even remember having so much trouble pulling off head shots in the last two games. :/

Amazing game otherwise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LiK said:
I will max my sensitivity tonight and see if it helps. I just started last night.

It's better with sensitivity cranked, but it doesn't fix the problem entirely. As I said above, the game rocks, but it's a bummer to have such a niggling (and seemingly fixable) issue detracting from it .

jax (old)

Banned
Guevara said:

I doubt that's what happened with UC3. I think its really unfair to post that when you have no fucking idea.

Spwn

So there really is a problem! I was thinking the aiming was off the minute I tried to shoot a guy. I just couldn't get headshots like I did in Uncharted 2. I thought the aiming in U2 was perfect, don't really know what's so wrong with it in U3.

Jax said:
I doubt that's what happened with UC3. I think its really unfair to post that when you have no fucking idea.

In fairness its as good a theory as any. It beggars belief that a significant number of players can recognise an apparent aiming fault, yet nearly every single review from supposedly experienced gaming journalists neglected to mention such a failing in their ten-out-of-ten-review observations.

Another theory is the one I suggested earlier, that aiming could have been more refined in the prerelease yet somehow knackered in the final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom