• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3: the single-player aiming problems thread [Details in Op, Please Read]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

Jax said:
I doubt that's what happened with UC3. I think its really unfair to post that when you have no fucking idea.
He's asking how reviewers can get it so wrong. It's because they sometimes can't take a game home and play it on their own time. I have no idea what happened with U3, but it happens for other high profile games.

Noticed it in BF3 as well, my friend who was max level in BF2 played 3 and ended up doing one of those circular recoil shots where the bullets hit everything but the enemy lol. Firmware issue?

Yeah I'm waiting on picking this game up now, probably until it's $40. Unreal how a developer could fuck up their aiming mechanic in the second sequel of the series.

Wario64 said:
Too many goddamn Uncharted threads.

First post nails it.

Plus, Arne is in the official thread. I would understand this thread if there wasn't someone from the development team you could simply tell in the OT.

BTW did the pistol always have the follow-through reticle bloom? I like it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thought I was crazy when I couldn't hit a fucking thing when I started playing U3 last night. It needs to be fixed.

Bowdz

I'm surprised that Arne said U2 used the same square coding. Whatever the problem is, U3 has significantly worse aiming controls that U2 IMO. ND just need to do exactly what they did with U2 because currently, the problem is one of the few issues that most people can draw with the game.

Muffdraul

I played up to chapter 8 last night, and never noticed any particular problem with aiming. But then, I always thought the aiming was relatively clunky in the previous Uncharteds.

Bowdz said:
I'm surprised that Arne said U2 used the same square coding. Whatever the problem is, U3 has significantly worse aiming controls that U2 IMO. ND just need to do exactly what they did with U2 because currently, the problem is one of the few issues that most people can draw with the game.

I just can't see how they can claim it's the same. All of us cannot be crazy.

I never once felt the aiming was odd while playing through Uncharted 2 multiple times, but within minutes I could tell U3 felt different.

Ra1den

So I wasn't imagining things after all. I'm glad there is a separate thread for this. I IMMEDIATELY noticed the aiming is terrible, first time I used a gun. Uncharted 2, the aiming was just fine. How did it get worse?

Yeah, the second I started shooting dudes in this game, the controls felt really foreign to me. I didn't remember U2 controlling this poorly, but I just attributed it to not playing any console shooters in a long time.

In the past games, pretty much every kill I made was a headshot, now, about 1/10 of them are. :\

getting tired of reading "i'm still popping off headshots bro.." in this thread and the other one.

It's not about getting headshots, the overall feel of aiming is fucked. there's no getting around that.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's annoying to me and I can't hit guys as I could in U2. Not enough to keep me from playing the game, but I hope they just patch in the U2 controls.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's complete horseshit. I'm going to have the game beat by the time they even fix it, if they do. No idea how they didn't catch it.

tiddles

The slowing down over an enemy and the bias towards horizontal and vertical movement - these are things that all "good" console shooter control systems have in some degree, to compensate for inherent limitations of console controllers. If it's done right, you shouldn't notice it, but obviously it's possible to overcook it, making the controls feel stiff. But similarly, you would notice it if it wasn't there - Deus Ex: HR, for example, features no slow-down when you move your reticule over an enemy, and the shooting feels a bit clunky and imprecise as a result (on consoles - this doesn't apply to mouse or pointer controls).

The rate at which the view responds when you move the stick is often handled with a curve... the first 60% or so of the stick range actually represents a relatively small movement of the screen, after which it rapidly accelerates. If this feels off, it's probably one of two things - either the curve isn't right, or there is input lag. It's really important not to make the curve rise too quickly at the start - you should be able to make tiny tiny movements of the reticule, so that it barely moves at all... if the screen moves too fast too soon, you'll find it very difficult to aim precisely. But it's also possible to make the curve too shallow - in this case you experience the view moving very slowly for a long time, then suddenly speeding up all in one chunk, probably overshooting the target...

As to why the dev team might not spot a potential problem - if you play the same game all day for weeks and weeks, it's possible to become habituated to anything! Only user testing would tell you if there's something wrong, and probably you would need hardcore players who could articulate exactly where the problem lay. One possibility is that the testing of U3 was skewed towards more casual players, who might feel that something was off but not know why, or attributed any aiming troubles to their own lack of ability - such players might not flag the issue in sufficient numbers to get the attention of the devs.

T0Eed.jpg

I won't quit my day job.

Guevara

Calavera520 said:
getting tired of reading "i'm still popping off headshots bro.." in this thread and the other one.

It's not about getting headshots, the overall feel of aiming is fucked. there's no getting around that.
It could be that these guys are playing on Hard or Crushing, where theoretically aim assist is limited or disabled entirely.

Papercuts

Mama Robotnik said:
In fairness its as good a theory as any. It beggars belief that a significant number of players can recognise an apparent aiming fault, yet nearly every single review from supposedly experienced gaming journalists neglected to mention such a failing in their ten-out-of-ten-review observations.

Another theory is the one I suggested earlier, that aiming could have been more refined in the prerelease yet somehow knackered in the final product.

I don't know how, but this might be the case somehow. Arne was confused at people saying there's no motion blur in the game, because there apparently is supposed to be...but not in my game.

Cesar

Banned
Yup, there's definitely something wrong with the controls. It was immediately noticable when you get the first gun in the game. I changed the sensitivity but it's not much better.

Spwn

Papercuts said:
I don't know how, but this might be the case somehow. Arne was confused at people saying there's no motion blur in the game, because there apparently is...but not in my game.

It's starting to sound like they shipped the wrong version of the game.

gogogow

I knew it was off. No way the first two Uncharted was like this. It's so damn hard to make small adjustments when trying to get a headshot or just trying to shoot an enemy who's running. If you continuously rotate your stick, Drake will make a square motion instead of a circle motion. Also the sensitivity bar doesn't seems to be doing anything. I hope a patch will be released soon.

Edit: Lol, yeah, just like the picture above, didn't see it...

ced

Papercuts said:
It's complete horseshit. I'm going to have the game beat by the time they even fix it, if they do. No idea how they didn't catch it.

I think I'm going to sit on playing it till they patch it, since I know I'm not crazy now.

Facism

Guevara said:
It could be that these guys are playing on Hard or Crushing, where theoretically aim assist is limited or disabled entirely.

I'm playing on hard and i'm still fighting the shitty aiming controls. fix this shit, guerilla.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Pistols have been absolutely ruined. It's impossible to track a moving target, as the aiming slows down even if they're strafing. I have no fucking idea what they were thinking. Played on Hard, the aiming is still fucked.

Bowdz

BruiserBear said:
I just can't see how they can claim it's the same. All of us cannot be crazy.

I never once felt the aiming was odd while playing through Uncharted 2 multiple times, but within minutes I could tell U3 felt different.

To be fair, I knew what to look out for based on the pre-release complaints on GAF, but for me, the square aiming is not the only problem. IMO, the max sensitivity is WAY to low to give players a good range of controls. The max sensitivity would be half speed for most other shooters and as such, it makes the whole game feel sluggish when I can't snap the camera around as quickly.

kneePat

I call it Etch a Sketch aiming!

Also auto aim makes you miss shots as opposed to hitting them, I feel if this was someones first Uncharted game and wasn't really into shooting that the game would be tough. Although the shooting elements are toned down in favor of more melee action.

NeoUltima

Just felt slow and sluggish by default for me (especially when compared to the multiplayer).

I turned up the sensitivity and its fine now though. Default is just way too low.

Haven't noticed anything else weird.

Not that I don't believe you all, I'm just not as picky I guess.

Firestorm

Sweet so it's the game's fault. I was wondering why it took me so much longer to get the 5 headshots in a row achievement than UC2. I thought it was a result of me being tired. It's not gamebreaking but would be nice to have fixed.

ced

alr1ghtstart said:
Pistols have been absolutely ruined. It's impossible to track a moving target, as the aiming slows down even if they're strafing. I have no fucking idea what they were thinking. Played on Hard, the aiming is still fucked.

It does it with the Kal 7 too, so it's not just pistols. I didn't have aiming issues with the M9 rifle (I think) early in the game though, it's like it aimed like U1/2 but the other guns early in the game are broken.

alr1ghtstart said:

I'm on max sensitivity, the fucking badguys OUTRUN my recticle because its so slow, and then the rigid ass aiming makes doing adjustments on the fly damn near impossible. I used to be godlike with pistols back in UC2, now I have to rely 50% on close-range weapons and my fists.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Upped the sensitivity to max, but it still feels a bit off, like it's kind of sluggish. Still enjoying the game so far, though.

Papercuts

All the guns suffer from it, but pistols are much worse. I looked like a complete asshole with that silenced pistol at the start, thing was impossible to use.

LiK

Papercuts said:
All the guns suffer from it, but pistols are much worse. I looked like a complete asshole with that silenced pistol at the start, thing was impossible to use.
Yea, I felt like Drake lost all his skills.

sajj316

Now, it did feel a tad bit slower to aim and pull off those head shots but I was still able to do it. Is this just a matter or adjusting sensitivity?

Could this just be a difficulty thing? I'm playing on Hard right now. The higher the difficult the harder it is to pull off those head shots?

Guevara said:
Some reviewers literally do not pick up the controller when then they review a game. They have the game played in front of them by someone on the publisher's staff. Read about the GTA:IV review process. Basically reviewers got 24 hours in a hotel room with Rockstar staff sitting next to them, willing to take over at any time:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7370590.stm
I think this is not the case

Gametrailers had U3 one month before release date. (they said on their "podcast")

Ra1den

sajj316 said:
Now, it did feel a tad bit slower to aim and pull off those head shots but I was still able to do it. Is this just a matter or adjusting sensitivity?

Could this just be a difficulty thing? I'm playing on Hard right now. The higher the difficult the harder it is to pull off those head shots?

No, the reticule is moving differently than it did in U2. That pic above by Brandon nailed it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Papercuts said:

Lol, same here. I thought I was gonna be a total badass with the silenced pistol, poppin' stealthy headshots and what not, but in my first encounter I pretty much emptied the entire clip around the target.

ced

This is freaking aimgate.

I just did some browsing of popular Uncharted forums and there is a lot people having the issues with aiming.

Isn't it about time for a statement from ND? I would like to know if they plan to patch it soon or if they are going to continue to say it's the same as U2. Call me an overreactor but I don't want to deal with frustration in controls in an otherwise kick ass game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom