• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3: the single-player aiming problems thread [Details in Op, Please Read]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuGalz

kneePat said:
Maybe so but... the scary thought, and according to everything Arne has said, is that all the versions (Review, Retail, Code, and Gold Masters) are universally the same and additionally they are working as intended and always have been. This is where I have serious problems because any sane 'journalist' who has seriously played UC2 would notice something is off, just count the hundreds in this review thread. So if they don't have different copies and they don't see a problem, did they seriously play the same game I am playing, or did they even play the game at all/have adequate time with it?

Just because we feel it's off doesn't mean everyone has to feel the same way. I asked two of my real life friends who played the game last night. One complained as much as I am while the other felt the game is actually easier than before and just kind of scratched his head after I showed him the video. They are looking into the issue so there's no need for these conspiracy theory.

jax (old)

Banned
Papercuts said:
Yeah, I'd actually like to see this too. To me, personally, it's immediately apparent that these controls are messed up and I can't believe others are saying they're perfectly fine, which leads me to believe this is actually a glitch not everyone has.

because of this thread. The 1st thing I could was adjust the sensitivity on the aiming all the way up when I got the game

I got my headshot x5 medal when I tried to get headshots

that said; I'm not going to discount the perception that the aiming is worse; because you really notice it later in some areas when you want to do a precise shot (sniper + headshots) that you're not smoothly moving the reticle into place but more of a "tap tap tap" to get it to line up with when you want to shoot. Compared to uncharted 2 where you could actually aim right. And as mentioned; if this isn't in the MP game; then something borked.

Its a definite downgrade to the shooting mechanics and this for a game that sits wholely in the shooting genre... is kind of shocking.

I think ND needs to have a look at what fucked up.

jax (old)

Banned
ced said:
So now the other thread is locked? I wish we never had two as there is a lot of good info in it, and it was the last place arne posted.

there wasn't a need for another thread. because; well; there was this.

Jtrizzy

Replicant said:
I do! I think they put something in the way the character is controlled. I don't know what, but it makes pointing your controller to a specific location and directing your character to go there becoming really awkward and harder. It feels like you have to zig-zag-ing your character to get to a point that you should be able to arrive at just by either diagonal point of the controller.

This! Fucking this! I felt like I was steering Agro (that horse from SOC). It was fucking hard to keep Nate on a straight path leading up to a ramp. Maybe it's done for 'realism posturing' but the result makes it annoying and hard to control the character.

Everything movement and aiming related just needs to be slowed down. The slow walk looks so weird...I suggested in the other thread that a crouch toggle for the stealth walking speed needs to be in. Honestly that should be the default movement speed, but with a different animation. Not only does Drake moving so fast all the time make it look janky, but it doesn't allow me to enjoy the beauty of the game at my own pace. It also makes stealth more difficult.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why are there so many instances when I can't walk with Nate? For example, when you're about to push the altar in chapter (6-7?), you can't walk, you can only run. I'm not sure what the reasoning for that could be.

Larsa

I finished Uncharted 2 on Crushing yesterday and played through all of Uncharted 3 on normal today and I'm actually really confused by this whole thing. I sensed a slight difference in the aiming in the very beginning of the game, but after 10 minutes it felt natural and I never thought about it again for the duration of the game.

TheExodu5 said:
Why are there so many instances when I can't walk with Nate? For example, when you're about to push the altar in chapter (6-7?), you can't walk, you can only run. I'm not sure what the reasoning for that could be.
You can't jump in a lot of those same situations, either.

I am guessing because it would seem less cinematic if you were jumping and running all over the place.

Solo

So I decided to not even try the game until a patch comes out for the aiming and motion blur. Tell me I did the right thing, GAF!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Solo said:
So I decided to not even try the game until a patch comes out for the aiming and motion blur. Tell me I did the right thing, GAF!
Dunno what t tell you. I enjoyed immensely what I played last night. In many ways I can already tell this game has no equal. However things could be even better if those two things are fixed/patched.

Salmonax

Solo said:
Same here, although I don't care as much about motion blur or the animation/walking wonkiness people have mentioned. It's the aiming. The whole game is aiming, and for that to be even a little bit broken will drive me nuts.

Aeonin

Solo said:

BWAH? After playing it, the MB is no big deal - go on and play it if that is the only issue. But in some cases aiming can be a real bitch (f'in boat) - so maybe wait on that if we get any indication that it'll be fixed. Plus you might not even experience it, its not affecting everyone. Try it out and see I'd say.

TheExodu5

Banned
The game is at least a lot more manageable with the sensitivity on max. Not ideal, of course, but passable.

As for the motion blur? You won't notice it's gone. The upgrade to the lighting is well worth it.

Solo said:
I doubt that there will be a patch for the motion blur, or rather the lack of.

Solo

Salmonax said:
Same here, although I don't care as much about motion blur or the animation/walking wonkiness people have mentioned. It's the aiming. The whole game is aiming, and for that to be even a little bit broken will drive me nuts.

Well yeah, the aiming fix is paramount. Once they patch that, the game disc will enter my PS3 for the first time.

Ra1den

Solo said:

Well, I think you did the right thing. This problem will obviously be solved eventually, and you'll enjoy it much more. I'm wishing I waited...not that I'm sad about it or anything, this game was just insanely awesome and I didn't let the terrible aiming hamper my enjoyment of the setpieces and story.

Interesting how you mention motion blur, I am not sure what the scoop is on it, but when I played U2 yesterday I was reminded of the great looking motion blur it had...not sure why it's gone in U3.

Solo said:
didn't effect my playthrough at all, started mindblown and left mindblown. Take that for what you will.

Thrakier

The first pistol was kinda offsetting, but now with the G-Mal in chapter 9 and I'm killing guys like nothing. So don't know...waiting for a patch seems like a stupid idea. Problem is overblown imo, that's just like how GAF drama queens roll. And man do they roll someitmes...

Oppo

I dunno guys. I'm on Chapter 10 or so and it feels pretty much like U2 to me. Maybe a bit more twitchy at the default setting.

I tried to replicate the described stair-stepping diagonal movement and couldn't. *shrug*

I'd like to thank this thread for helping me understand why I dread every battle segment. Seriously. I didn't love the battles in 1 or 2 either (I come for the spectacle), but I was able to get good at them a lot faster, and that posted video explains why.

This issue seems similar to the problems that crop up a lot in sports games, when the developer thinks they're giving you a new tool to help, but then that tool ends up not only screwing with what the player already knew, but screwing with general control logic -- in this case, a manual reticule with inconsistent speed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
The game is certainly playable. It's just less than ideal. Just play it.

storl026

TheExodu5 said:

ShockingAlberto said:
You can't jump in a lot of those same situations, either.

I am guessing because it would seem less cinematic if you were jumping and running all over the place.

That's exactly the point. I can't carefully walk through the tomb, it's either a dead stop or a full run. It takes me out of the scene somewhat, and the worst part is that it wasn't a problem at all in Uncharted or Uncharted 2.

I am really uncomfortable with the aiming as well, and this is coming from a guy who beat Uncharted and Uncharted 2 5-plus times each. I've played extensive multiplayer on Uncharted 2, an ungodly amount of time with the summer beta, and this aiming is just.....off.

Thrakier said:
The first pistol was kinda offsetting, but now with the G-Mal in chapter 9 and I'm killing guys like nothing. So don't know...waiting for a patch seems like a stupid idea. Problem is overblown imo, that's just like how GAF drama queens roll. And man do they roll someitmes...
yup

bender

What time is it?
I love the comparison videos. They explain why U3's combat feels off. I wonder if the controls can be "fixed". I guess that's assuming that ND feels they need fixing. *shrug*

Replicant

Solo said:
So far I've been able to get by because this installment encourages you to blindfire and brawl instead of hiding behind the cover like a sittIng duck. Don't know if it'll get harder or easier as I move up a chapter though.

While it's annoying problem, and I would rather play the game without feeling like I'm trying to steer a wild horse, the game is still playable and fun. But that doesn't mean I don't want that patch to come ASAP.

Solo said:

No. On Max sensitivity it's fine. And dare I say it, once I hit chapters 16-19, the aiming like starts... working perfectly.

Ra1den

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
No. On Max sensitivity it's fine. And dare I say it, once I hit chapters 16-19, the aiming like starts... working perfectly.

I have to disagree with this completely. It doesn't make any difference for me, just makes it move faster, but the blocky aiming is still there.

It's possible to adjust and do fine with it of course...but it is not nearly as enjoyable as it should be.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Solo said:
wait for a week then if there is no sign of patch play it

Ra1den said:
I have to disagree with this completely. It doesn't make any difference for me, just makes it move faster, but the blocky aiming is still there.

It's possible to adjust and do fine with it of course...but it is not nearly as enjoyable as it should be.

Really? I guess I've just adapted to it, because it's working great for me (I just completed Chapter 19. M9 is a fucking awesome gun).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Reading all of the complaints has made me want to go back and play Uncharted 2. Damn, I love that game--it's the only PS3 game for which I have a platinum trophy.

Maybe by the time I finish it there will be a patch for UC3!

Vitor711

Right, so I filmed my own video of the problem and uploaded it to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYIqfvswDU

You'll notice that, despite moving the stick up and down, the horizontal axis stays perfectly flat as I pan the camera around.

I don't know if this is because of an increased Dead Zone in the controls but, whatever the cause, it's a real pain and makes aiming a lot harder than before.

Totally agree with everything stated in the OP. This is an issue and needs to be addressed. Especially as now that the armoured enemies have so much more health than I remember in UC2, headshots are practically mandatory to take them down quickly. With the aiming as is, that's much harder to pull off.

rhino4evr

Larsa said:
I finished Uncharted 2 on Crushing yesterday and played through all of Uncharted 3 on normal today and I'm actually really confused by this whole thing. I sensed a slight difference in the aiming in the very beginning of the game, but after 10 minutes it felt natural and I never thought about it again for the duration of the game.
Congrats consider yourself "normal"

So all this time and energy toward fixing something that isn't really broken and it looks like we are getting a response.

Can we start begging and complaing that the game should never end, maybe we can convince them to keep giving us new chapters if we make enough noise about it.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
would it be too difficult for ND to bring back so called inferior u2 aiming with a patch and let us choose between 2 option

Solo said:

I say yes.

There is no logical reason to start this game until one of two things happens:

- There is a patch.

- There is official word that there won't be any patch.

It's tougher for people like me who have already started. It's difficult to just stop playing, warts and all.

rhino4evr

How about complaining about the lack of unlocks/cheats in the game? Patch those in Naughty Dog! Or I will sell my game to GameStop so they can make profit on your hard work!!

Special J

Banned
ya third person aiming is actually pretty complicated hideki kamiya talked about it once and saying how its kinda difficult. basically because of the way the camera is positioned respective to your character in order to have aiming seem like its shooting straight you basically have curved bullet trajectory. im guessing ND thought that they could do better than the kind of workarounds used by other TPS and ended up making it feel worse.

compounded with the input latency its surprising that reviews have failed to mention this issue.

Tom Penny said:
Apparently there is a bunch of people with no skills using the controls as an excuse.

rhino4evr said:
How about complaining about the lack of unlocks/cheats in the game? Patch those in Naughty Dog! Or I will sell my game to GameStop so they can make profit on your hard work!!

Not helpful.

kneePat

Vitor711 said:
Right, so I filmed my own video of the problem and uploaded it to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYIqfvswDU

You'll notice that, despite moving the stick up and down, the horizontal axis stays perfectly flat as I pan the camera around.

I don't know if this is because of an increased Dead Zone in the controls but, whatever the cause, it's a real pain and makes aiming a lot harder than before.

Totally agree with everything stated in the OP. This is an issue and needs to be addressed. Especially as now that the armoured enemies have so much more health than I remember in UC2, headshots are practically mandatory to take them down quickly. With the aiming as is, that's much harder to pull off.

Wow.

I always felt that I had to fight the analog stick if it was in motion as well as diagonally. If you're moving in one direction the developers think you do not need to ever deviate from that direction. How do people not see how bad this is? Did the reviewers not notice something like? For a shooting game, taking away so much control has got to be a no-no.

Mooreberg

Not seeing the aiming problems. I've had far more issues with weird camera angles during traversal or where you go up a spiral staircase and end up running right into four enemies. Practice, grasshoppers.

gogogow

Vitor711 said:

Very good video. This needs to be added to the OP. Also, the funny thing is, the camera controls with the same stick is smooth as butter. No problem moving diagonally.

kneePat

Tom Penny said:
Apparently there is a bunch of people with no skills using the controls as an excuse.

The issue is not present in MP and that has been stated many times. Something is wrong in the SP portion and there is video evidence showing such, please if you believe this is not a problem run the same test and upload it on Youtube, because as of now the only evidence we have for there not being a problem is just your word against mine and many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom