• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Damn , i really love this game but for the love of god , the jeep segment in chapter 11 is just flawed .i'm fighting the game to make the jeep go the way i want to when i had no problem in chapter 10. on crushing , this level is just so annoying.
And it's a total shame because i feel it's very nicely constructed and the chase is way longer on high difficulty making the excitement "just right"
But i'm fighting the jeep for it to go the way i want to and she doesn't have much resistance.

What a shame..why are the jeep controls so shit in chapter 11 ? It's the only complain i have about this game

I noticed that too. It's almost like the Jeep has some kind of built-in input lag. It was driving me crazy.

soultron

Banned
I noticed that too. It's almost like the Jeep has some kind of built-in input lag. It was driving me crazy.
I'm pretty sure that's a design choice meant to simulate the difference in surface types and the changing traction values with respect to those surfaces.

Felt great to me, personally.

zkorejo

The thing I didn't like about that final fight was 1)
It was exactly like the Talbot fight. I would have liked some originality.
2) The camera angle got fucked up at times where it was hard to see which direction his attack was coming from, and thus, a complete guess as to which button to press.

I agree about Rafe's relationship with Nadine and his
lack of independent research, but understand that he's rich, and has the means to buy his way in rather than do the work himself. His obsession isn't about getting the treasure, but being famous, and remembered.

Exactly.
Could have produced a movie or a million other things for that.

Competing with a guy (Drake) who is passionate about something (Treasure hunting) when your only motivation is to be famous and then willingly wanting to die because he failed is dumb.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished it! What a great adventure that was!

It did feel like it dragged in a few spots, and outside of a couple of encounters, the shooting combat was non-stop frustration for me (chapter 20 was just ridiculous), but overall I had a great time playing (and watching) this.

I'm going to boot up the remastered version of Uncharted 2 now to see just why I enjoyed the combat so much in that game when I really can't seem to get on with it at all in either Uncharted 3 or 4.

Alienous

Nadine is the real (villain) star of the game. She's much more interesting than Rafe.
(Strong black mercenary woman against rich daddy's boy, there's no contest)

I wished that they got rid of Rafe and Nadine was the final antagonist. Talking about the last "boss" fight, i thought the fight against Nadine, where you and Sam fight together was 10 times better, even with Uncharted's rudimentary melee combat. It was much more dynamic.

Rafe is 10x the character Nadine is. Nadine is a glorified henchman. She can be summed up with the adjectives 'strong black woman' - there's nothing else to her.

Rafe, unlike Sam and Nadine, is a good character. His whole drive is
he just wants to have a treasure discovery under his belt, worked hard to get it done, spent 15 years running in circles and has Nathan Drake get ahead of him
. He's
who a Nathan Drake -type character would really be in the modern age; someone vain who wants the glory and could give a shit about the history
. And that makes him an interesting antagonist.

Rafe is 10x the character Nadine is. Nadine is a glorified henchman. She can be summed up in with the adjectives 'strong black woman' - there's nothing else to her.

he just wants to have a treasure discovery under his belt, worked hard to get it done, spent 15 years running in circles and has Nathan Drake get ahead of him
. He's
who a Nathan Drake -type character would really be in the modern age; someone vain who wants the glory and could give a shit about the history
Rafe is flat character who's a rich douche and is obsessed. He is nothing more than a vehicle to push the story, much like Nadine. he's Flynn-tier "rival" type antagonist.

Uncharted villains are all one-note, and are only appealing for their voice acting, presence and aesthetics. Considering hat, Nadine is superior to Rafe as she showed she had a couple different settings beyond "douche."

Rafe >> Nadine > Raja > Lazervic > Flynn > Marlowe > Smirk in a Suit > whoever the fuck those guys were in UC1 that nobody remembers. One of em had white hair and the other one facial hair.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Rafe is 10x the character Nadine is. Nadine is a glorified henchman. She can be summed up with the adjectives 'strong black woman' - there's nothing else to her.

. He's

I still feel like they could have made Nadine a more interesting character than she is. Maybe they just wanted her to be a glorified henchman, but I personally wish they could have developed her into something better.

I think you're right that Rafe is a more developed character, but I don't think he's better.
I still don't like him, he's just a rich guy who wants to be famous and not seen as a dumb heir.

Alienous

I still feel like they could have made Nadine a more interesting character than she is. Maybe they just wanted her to be a glorified henchman, but I personally wish they could have developed her into something better.

I think you're right that Rafe is a more developed character, but I don't think he's better.
I still don't like him, he's just a rich guy who wants to be famous and not seen as a dumb heir.

You're not supposed to like him, it's just fun to dislike what a smarmy douche he is. The game establishes him as hateable early on, and he didn't have to laugh maniacally and kidnap someone's girlfriend to get there. And even then he's likeable as a shitty treasure hunter suffering from affluenza.

Could have replaced Nadine with almost anyone with practically no impact.

I really liked the game and and hardly have any issues with it. But... Compared to even Rafe, I never felt threatened or intimidated by Nadine. Rafe brought tension to the scene every time he was on screen.

First fight with nadine, Drake was not afraid and was just making jokes at her. And Sam and Drake just laugh at her when it is
2 agaist 1
When the characters in the game don't even respect her, it is hard for players to have any respect.

Sam
grabbing her as a hostage
: Does anyone see Sam trying to pull that with Lazaravic? No, it just would not happen or be remotely plasusible. But with Nadine, it is plausible because the character has not earned any player respect.

The choreography of her fight scenes were well done. But like others have said, those Nadine fights are so scripted its basically a cut scene.

And I buy Flynn's antagonism toward Nate more than Rafe's. Flynn was a wannabe Drake, but lesser in every way, and Drake was obviously doing his girl. Chloe probably said Nate's name during the deed.

Rafe was more like "yeah, sure, i wanna kill ya, I suppose"

Alienous

And I buy Flynn's antagonism toward Nate more than Rafe's. Flynn was a wannabe Drake, but lesser in every way, and Drake was obviously doing his girl. Chloe probably said Nate's name during the deed.

Rafe didn't
have an antagonism towards Nate for most of the game. That's part of why he's a good character. He isn't seething in hatred of Nathan Drake until the end. He tells Nathan to go home - he doesn't want him dead. Then Nate tramples all over work Rafe invested 15 years of his life into as just another crazy adventure for Nathan Drake and Rafe is rightfully pissed

Nadine is the real (villain) star of the game. She's much more interesting than Rafe.
(Strong black mercenary woman against rich daddy's boy, there's no contest)

I wished that they got rid of Rafe and Nadine was the final antagonist. Talking about the last "boss" fight, i thought the fight against Nadine, where you and Sam fight together was 10 times better, even with Uncharted's rudimentary melee combat. It was much more dynamic.

I find
the fights against Nadine pretty stupid as boss fights. Yeah, dynamic, but they were playable cutscenes. You can't win and you can't fail, they're always the same with zero influence from the player.
I'd loved the chance to actually try to fight the boss and get different dialogues in case I win or not. That would have been fair.
The last battle was very cool from a scenic, atmospheric pov, and actually you have more control even if it is actually an elaborate qte.
In the end I think the boss fight were overall weak gameplay wise, but excellent as impactfull scenes (Truck chase with Sam, Nadine in Italy, Nadine with Sam, Truck chase in Libertalia -actually the most "real" boss fight-, Rafe in the end)

One small but kindof important question that's been nagging me.

Why did
Sam make up the whole stupid story in the first place to fool Nate? Sure didn't seem like he knew Nathan had settled down, gotten married and had established a no-adventuring policy. There wasn't a single moment of resistance before Sam wove his bullshit tale. It was *the* treasure that inspired their imagination from so long ago, so why would Sam feel he needed to create this massive fabrication? I don't think that motivation was ever explained.

Alienous

Why did
Sam make up the whole stupid story in the first place to fool Nate? Sure didn't seem like he knew Nathan had settled down, gotten married and had established a no-adventuring policy. There wasn't a single moment of resistance before Sam wove his bullshit tale. It was *the* treasure that inspired their imagination from so long ago, so why would Sam feel he needed to create this massive fabrication? I don't think that motivation was ever explained.

I don't think it was either. He does mention that he
talked to some old contacts beforehand, so many they told him Nate was out of the game and he decided "Well, no he aint".

But I just checked and
Sam was out of prison for two years before the start of the main events of Uncharted 4, so it doesn't really make sense

I think Rafe's deal was that Drake had all these successes and "blundered" them all away, but still had the notoriety and recognition as a globetrotter, Indiana Jones type. Greatness from small beginnings, no major funding, all that jazz. Just luck and some ingenuity.
He on the other had had spent a ton of time unsuccessfully looking for Avery's treasure and really had to piggyback on the Drake brothers in order to find it.

It was an inferiority complex driven by a spoiled brat mentality. I had no issue with
Nadine not being the main bad guy because she was a hired hand. As strong a black woman as she was, she couldn't care less about anything but getting the cash to save Shoreline. Setting her as the main baddie would've just made her the fall guy for a mission she had no real emotional investment in.

Damn , i really love this game but for the love of god , the jeep segment in chapter 11 is just flawed .i'm fighting the game to make the jeep go the way i want to when i had no problem in chapter 10. on crushing , this level is just so annoying.
And it's a total shame because i feel it's very nicely constructed and the chase is way longer on high difficulty making the excitement "just right"
But i'm fighting the jeep for it to go the way i want to and she doesn't have much resistance.

What a shame..why are the jeep controls so shit in chapter 11 ? It's the only complain i have about this game

I think it feels that way because the jeep actually has weight to it so it is harder to handle compared to likes of GTA 5.

Why did

If Sam knew where to find Drake he probably also knew more about his current life than he let on.

Why did

I have a feeling that
the DLC will follow the time Sam spent with Rafe before going to Nathan. So we'd likely get some sort of explanation. I imagine the DLC ending with Sam standing outside Nathans office door.

I feel like this would also be a good opportunity to explore Rafes character more.

It's a shame that the franchise never had a memorable final boss.
I wonder why they never did something like the tank or helicopter fight from U2 for the final boss.
I get that a one on one fight with the bad guy feels more personal but I still think it would've been better.
Just put the villain in a vehicle and make the fight an awesome setpiece like the ones I mentioned.
Imagine hanging on to the idol at the end of the original while it was airlifted away and shooting at and avoiding gunfire from folks on the ship that the final battle took place on. Even if it weren't THE final battle, just something a bit more spectacular.

Concept art in the artbook for 4 showed
them fighting on a broken pillar/mast. Imagine swinging around and shooting on the ship while it was on fire until you run out of ammo and THEN it turning into a sword fight with the whole ship as your battle ground. How many shots you get in determines how "big" his "healthbar" is.

It was an inferiority complex driven by a spoiled brat mentality. I had no issue with
Nadine not being the main bad guy because she was a hired hand. As strong a black woman as she was, she couldn't care less about anything but getting the cash to save Shoreline. Setting her as the main baddie would've just made her the fall guy for a mission she had no real emotional investment in.

She was totally fine with letting hundreds of her men die over several days. But when they are literally
standing in a pile of gold
THAT is when she gets cold feet and decides to call it quits... and we are supposed to respect her for being so smart?

She was totally fine with letting hundreds of her men die over several days. But when they are literally
THAT is when she gets cold feet and decides to call it quits... and we are supposed to respect her for being so smart?

She was smart in that she knew, like everything else, the ship was likely rigged to blow up. She already got a shit ton of gold, there was no need for her to risk her life any further.

in comparison to Rafe and both Drakes at a certain point? Sure. It frames the other characters' stupidity and obsession.

She also
made out with some treasure herself, and left her father's PMC legacy behind

Could have replaced Nadine with almost anyone with practically no impact.
Same with Rafe. Or Nate, Elena, and so forth. They all could've been different characters and this stories could've played out the same.

Unless you mean replace them with a different type of character. If that's the case, then that statement means nothing.

Imagine hanging on to the idol at the end of the original while it was airlifted away and shooting at and avoiding gunfire from folks on the ship that the final battle took place on. Even if it weren't THE final battle, just something a bit more spectacular.

Concept art in the artbook for 4 showed
them fighting on a broken pillar/mast. Imagine swinging around and shooting on the ship while it was on fire until you run out of ammo and THEN it turning into a sword fight with the whole ship as your battle ground. How many shots you get in determines how "big" his "healthbar" is.

Yeah, saw that in the artbook, would've been a lot better than a small confined space.
They always seem to run out of time to put the necessary amount of time into the final stretch, with 2 delays I was hoping that wouldn't be the case this time but it definitely seems like they had bigger things in mind for that last fight.
Considering the rope mechanic, I bet the fight was going to involve swinging around from mast to mast while the ship falls apart. That would've been epic and more like a scene from an over the top pirate movie.

Why did

Think of Sam's character and he just being told of all of the extraordinary adventures Nate has been on. Now's he's done. He doesn't need anything else for glory.

Now think of the dialog between he and Alcazar(?) in the made up sequence. It was to sort of coax Nate out of "retirement" and get his juices flowing again while also adding a do or die motive because we learn throughout the game that Nate sort of owes Sam in a way, besides just being family and all.

But, I'm wondering if Nate and Elena would have more easily accepted the whole thing if danger danger wasn't part of the scenario. "So hey, while I'm back, want to help find the treasure to find closure for our family? Your wife can document it."

And then the conflict can come in the form of Rafe revealing how Sam worked for him etc and the Elena/Nate conflict can come in the form of the heist job that Nate didn't explicitly tell her he'd have to do and boom, we have the same overall game but without that weird intro and more of an adventurey overtone to start things off.

I really struggled with the first 11 chapters. Really did and started questioning whether Druckman's footprint was too large. But the more experienced the shooting, the more I appreciated the lore and the little things you find. They tell a story in themselves and I can see why this game got the rave reviews it did.

I loved the ending — it was perfect.
It's quite clear the next game will be completely different with his daughter as the protagonist. That's the Uncharted for the new era. I highly doubt I'll play it — but I'm intrigued as to the road they take.

Great job Naughty Dog. I look forward to your next game...whatever it is.

I really struggled with the first 11 chapters. Really did and started questioning whether Druckman's footprint was too large. But the more experienced the shooting, the more I appreciated the lore and the little things you find. They tell a story in themselves and I can see why this game got the rave reviews it did.

I loved the ending — it was perfect.
It's quite clear the next game will be completely different with his daughter as the protagonist. That's the Uncharted for the new era. I highly doubt I'll play it — but I'm intrigued as to the road they take.

Great job Naughty Dog. I look forward to your next game...whatever it is.

I really doubt that's where they are going, you're reading too much into it.

Ricky_R

It'd probably require a bit more loading compared to streaming a bink video. Know how the game has a bit of a load-in time when you hit "Continue" on the Main Menu? I'd imagine that would happen for every cutscene you wanted to play; the loading for cinematics is often covered up in game as you play.

Not unfeasible, still. A bit of a challenge and depending on how its executed, could be a bit of a rough feature. If ND managed (somehow) to get the load times down for a Watch Cutscene feature, it'd be awesome. Here's hoping they can.

Out of curiosity, how long are the load-in times for the Encounter Select mode? That'd be an interesting comparison, though not scientific by any means.

Yeah, maybe it would be a hassle not worth it for such a trivial option.

(spoilers)
I guess you just have to take it as a given that
Sam knew in advance that Nate had settled down and absolutely would not budge without a huge whopper of a lie tied to a ticking clock. But as that lie fuels the motivation and drives the action and holds the entire story together, it seems odd that there's absolutely no set up for it, and its never even explored after the lie is revealed. For a game winning so many accolades for its story I just keep feeling that I'm missing something.

mosdl

in comparison to Rafe and both Drakes at a certain point? Sure. It frames the other characters' stupidity and obsession.

She also
made out with some treasure herself, and left her father's PMC legacy behind

What if she wanted the gold to start a PMC heaven, an outer one...

joms5

Finally finished Uncharted 4 last night.

After really struggling to enjoy aspects of the beginning of the game from a gameplay perspective, I feel like the game hits its stride with chapter 11 and finally starts to feel like an Uncharted game. However it's not consistent.

Let me just say that the story, animation, characters and voice acting are all top notch. No complaints. But there are so many sequences in this game that involve nothing other than walking and talking. There is so little focus on action and when there is you can stealth through most of the area which doesn't seem like an Uncharted game.

You can really see where TLOU influenced the game. From a story perspective (all the fun has been sucked out of the game), from a dialogue perspective (hit triangle to gab) and from a gameplay perspective (stealth everywhere). The open action areas are okay but slow the pace of the game down with abundance of long grass. The open areas used for exploration only give the illusion of freedom which is made apparent very quickly. Finally some of these chapters go on way too long when it comes to climbing without anything of interest happening.

Overall it was a good game, but never did it feel like a carefree, summer blockbuster Uncharted game. I don't know if the departure of Amy Hennig had anything to do with the direction it ended up going in but I think I agree with another members assessment that it is the weakest of the series. I've played all 3 of the other games more than once. I can't imagine myself playing through this game again. The thought of having to play through those first 6 chapters bores me to tears.

When times passes and the hype train subsides I wonder if anyone else will share this opinion.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Looks like i'm the only one who thought Nadine as a character had potential....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dralla

She didn't get cold feet. She got what she wanted and she left. She wasn't in it for the treasure hunt, only for the money to rebuild Shoreline. Rafe was the one consumed by the treasure and he ended up dying. Nadine, indifferent towards the treasure came out alive with millions.

Alienous

Looks like i'm the only one who thought Nadine as a character had potential....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Potential, yes.

She didn't get cold feet. She got what she wanted and she left. She wasn't in it for the treasure hunt, only for the money to rebuild Shoreline. Rafe was the one consumed by the treasure and he ended up dying. Nadine, indifferent towards the treasure came out alive with millions.

She was hired for 100% of a job and ducked out at 5%. Her militia is shit. Couldn't even afford helicopters.

Ricky_R

Btw, I was a bit disappointed when they revealed that
Héctor was a lie.

I was looking forward to the mess that extra angle was gonna bring to the table in the end.

Just completed it. A fine game, and I think I am done with Uncharted.

Having said that, I'll go through it again for the remaining treasure, on Crushing. Someone here said you can turn on weapons and mods (slow mo and Infinite ammo) and you still get the trophy. When you turn on a weapon, do you keep it forever? Or do you keep having to choose it from a menu?

Radogol

You don't think the next Uncharted will be with his daugher?

If that were the case,
the next game would have to be set in 2036 at the very earliest. I could see them doing that but it's just as likely that they'll go with Sam and Sully to not change the series too much.

Top Bottom