• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

mosdl

If that were the case,
the next game would have to be set in 2036 at the very earliest. I could see them doing that but it's just as likely that they'll go with Sam and Sully to not change the series too much.

Or have a Chloe/Cutter spinoff. Nate can cameo.

Radogol

Or have a Chloe/Cutter spinoff. Nate can cameo.

Or introduce all new characters, sure. My point is that we have really no idea what the next team will do and it's not a given that a new Uncharted will feature Cassie in any way.

This is insane.
p_Z7ka.gif

Finally finished Uncharted 4 last night.

After really struggling to enjoy aspects of the beginning of the game from a gameplay perspective, I feel like the game hits its stride with chapter 11 and finally starts to feel like an Uncharted game. However it's not consistent.

Let me just say that the story, animation, characters and voice acting are all top notch. No complaints. But there are so many sequences in this game that involve nothing other than walking and talking. There is so little focus on action and when there is you can stealth through most of the area which doesn't seem like an Uncharted game.

You can really see where TLOU influenced the game. From a story perspective (all the fun has been sucked out of the game), from a dialogue perspective (hit triangle to gab) and from a gameplay perspective (stealth everywhere). The open action areas are okay but slow the pace of the game down with abundance of long grass. The open areas used for exploration only give the illusion of freedom which is made apparent very quickly. Finally some of these chapters go on way too long when it comes to climbing without anything of interest happening.

Overall it was a good game, but never did it feel like a carefree, summer blockbuster Uncharted game. I don't know if the departure of Amy Hennig had anything to do with the direction it ended up going in but I think I agree with another members assessment that it is the weakest of the series. I've played all 3 of the other games more than once. I can't imagine myself playing through this game again. The thought of having to play through those first 6 chapters bores me to tears.

When times passes and the hype train subsides I wonder if anyone else will share this opinion.

well said. as someone else already mentioned, when time passes no one will really remember this game. unlike uncharted 2, & the last of us, there're no defining moments, & nothing genuinely memorable about it (other than maybe the epilogue :) )...

Neiteio

Nadine is hot. She could beat the shit out of me any day. (Well, as long as she agreed not to throw me out a window, or shoot me.) I give her a villainess rating of wouldletherdominateme/10.

Rafe is probably the best villain the series has had overall. A masterful blend of shit-eating smile and childish insecurity. Who played him, anyways? Actor deserves kudos for the top-notch performance.

...and speaking of acting: Remember the whole controversy over Nadine being played by a white woman? At the time, I recall Neil saying that one of the white characters would be played by a black man. I didn't imagine that, did I? Did anything ever come of that?

Alienous

Nadine is hot. She could beat the shit out of me any day. (Well, as long as she agreed not to throw me out a window, or shoot me.) I give her a villainess rating of wouldletherdominateme/10.

Rafe is probably the best villain the series has had overall. A masterful blend of shit-eating smile and childish insecurity. Who played him, anyways? Actor deserves kudos for the top-notch performance.

...and speaking of acting: Remember the whole controversy over Nadine being played by a white woman? At the time, I recall Neil saying that one of the white characters would be played by a black man. I didn't imagine that, did I? Did anything ever come of that?

Evelyn, the old dying lady, was played by Marlene (of The Last of Us)'s actor. It's really seamless.

Druckmann didn't specify gender.

Finally finished Uncharted 4 last night.

After really struggling to enjoy aspects of the beginning of the game from a gameplay perspective, I feel like the game hits its stride with chapter 11 and finally starts to feel like an Uncharted game. However it's not consistent.

Let me just say that the story, animation, characters and voice acting are all top notch. No complaints. But there are so many sequences in this game that involve nothing other than walking and talking. There is so little focus on action and when there is you can stealth through most of the area which doesn't seem like an Uncharted game.

You can really see where TLOU influenced the game. From a story perspective (all the fun has been sucked out of the game), from a dialogue perspective (hit triangle to gab) and from a gameplay perspective (stealth everywhere). The open action areas are okay but slow the pace of the game down with abundance of long grass. The open areas used for exploration only give the illusion of freedom which is made apparent very quickly. Finally some of these chapters go on way too long when it comes to climbing without anything of interest happening.

Overall it was a good game, but never did it feel like a carefree, summer blockbuster Uncharted game. I don't know if the departure of Amy Hennig had anything to do with the direction it ended up going in but I think I agree with another members assessment that it is the weakest of the series. I've played all 3 of the other games more than once. I can't imagine myself playing through this game again. The thought of having to play through those first 6 chapters bores me to tears.

When times passes and the hype train subsides I wonder if anyone else will share this opinion.

It was a REALLY good game, in places.

It still has the stuff I've never liked about Unchartered.
- Bullet sponge enemies
- Annoying deaths during the interactive sequences that brings the game to an abrupt and horrifically pace breaking halt. Now do the cinema again, and again, oh and this time it glitched!
- Shit, and I mean fucking PISS POOR
end boss. It was utterly awful, again. I'd rather it be a QTE sequence than THAT.

Some, no, lots of Uncharted 4 is beautifully crafted, outstanding and incredibly inspiring. Unfortunately, it still has broken-ass videogame issues that when the rest of it is so high quality, it is very noticable.

well said. as someone else already mentioned, when time passes no one will really remember this game. unlike uncharted 2, & the last of us, there're no defining moments, & nothing genuinely memorable about it (other than maybe the epilogue :) )...
I disagree, there are some memorable moment. Chapter 4, Auction House, The plot of the pirates, Avery and Libertalia (probably the most memorable treasure plot out of all games, right next Drake's Fortune), all chapters in Madagascar, riding the boat to the islands, Libertalia, New Devon,the final boss (I understand that not a lot of people liked it, I did though) and of course the Epilogue.

Faenix1

End of chapter 10 on hard is rather frustrating. Not sure I'll even bother replaying on crushing with this one.

I assume from here on these kind of fire fights will become common?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
It was a REALLY good game, in places.

It still has the stuff I've never liked about Unchartered.
- Bullet sponge enemies

Even playing on hard i didn't felt like the enemies were bullet sponges. I could down anyone (barring the armored shotgun and minigun baddies) with like 4 or 5 pistol bodyshots. The metler is a weapon that melt the mercenaries (2 to 3 body shots) and the Barok is 1 hit kill.

I feel like the combat was much more balanced in this game. There were only 2 instances were i was getting annoyed and one of them was near the end where i fought 2 minigun armored guys, a sniper and a GL goon.

Neiteio

Evelyn, the old dying lady, was played by Marlene (of The Last of Us)'s actor. It's really seamless.

Druckmann didn't specify gender.
Oh wow, that's awesome! That's also an excellent performance, and like you say, it was seamless. Perfectly cast.

Looks like i'm the only one who thought Nadine as a character had potential....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

God, I fucking hated her character. Kept hoping Rafe would put a bullet in her head at some point then proceed to kill himself or something. But that would be too dark.

I wish they fleshed out how Sully even knows her anyway. She also seemed as if she was always compensating for something; poorly written character.

God, I fucking hated her character. Kept hoping Rafe would put a bullet in her head at some point then proceed to kill himself or something. But that would be too dark.

I wish they fleshed out how Sully even knows her anyway. She also seemed as if she was always compensating for something; poorly written character.

What did you hate about her? Can't tell what you mean by "compensating for something."

Oh wow, that's awesome! That's also an excellent performance, and like you say, it was seamless. Perfectly cast.
They'll get more lines when they're added to multiplayer too.

sasliquid

Is it just me or the game notably bad at keeping track certain trophy data?

Just finished crushing difficulty but now it says one level has been beat, went back to a save I had on crushing halfway through that level and beat it but then it's on the old save so all the further levels aren't beat. Plus across all my saves I could swear I've got 30 vertical takedowns, 10 enemies have dropped grenades and I've meleed armoured enemies 5 times but no trophys for any of that. Kinda annoying and leaving a bitter taste

I completely, 100% disagree. This Uncharted had character moments on par with TLOU and far beyond what any previous Uncharted achieved, and that's what sticks with me. I love all the Uncharted games, and they have the best action set piece moments in video games, and now we have one with that AND compelling character pieces.

Endo Punk

I have a funny video from that chapter where I went to explore an island and Sam just drove off in the boat without me. I stood there watching as he became a speck on the horizon, lol. I think that was an AI misfire! I'll share it later.

I think you might have unlocked an alt scenario. Nate stranded on an island, talking to his hands, lol.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Finished it.

Such an amazing ride.

Well done Naughty Dog, you outdid yourselves. Really is the end of an era.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Nadine was great.

Both Nadine and Rafe are throwaway characters. They serve their roles as obstacles for the player to overcome but not much more.

They have little to no screen time so it's hard for them to make an impact.

They're interesting characters on paper (less so Nadine) but Naughty Dog do little to make them real.

Rafe, a rich kid who who wants to achieve something for himself and harbours feelings of jealousy towards Nate, sounds great but he's barely in it.

Nadine meanwhile has almost nothing going for her, other than the fact she's a capable soldier in her own right. She's almost more important to the plot than the former though because she has the army you spend the entire game killing.

They are, like a villain in a Marvel movie, forgettable.

I understand how you can like the idea of these characters but Naughty Dog failed to deliver with either of them in a meaningful way.

And, keeping my Marvel reference going, it doesn't matter because Nate, like RDJ, is interesting to watch in his own right.

joms5

I disagree, there are some memorable moment. Chapter 4, Auction House, The plot of the pirates, Avery and Libertalia (probably the most memorable treasure plot out of all games, right next Drake's Fortune), all chapters in Madagascar, riding the boat to the islands, Libertalia, New Devon,the final boss (I understand that not a lot of people liked it, I did though) and of course the Epilogue.

While I will agree that some of that was very memorable, I don't think much of it was necessarily fun. The auction house sticks out to me as a perfect example. It was extremely scripted without any variation in what can happen. And most of it served narrative purpose only. This is fine for a first play through but I never want to re experience that scene again. It just goes on for way too long. The free roam exploration I found mostly boring since there wasn't really much to explore or find out there. I loved the boat to the islands but again, not much to see or do. I was also in the minority who loved the end boss. Always hated when an Uncharted boss is this more powerful than human boss. Seems to videogamey for an Uncharted game.

I completely, 100% disagree. This Uncharted had character moments on par with TLOU and far beyond what any previous Uncharted achieved, and that's what sticks with me. I love all the Uncharted games, and they have the best action set piece moments in video games, and now we have one with that AND compelling character pieces.

Really? You're dead on about it having some very impressive character moments. I don't think they were on par with TLOU but without a doubt leaps and bounds above any other Uncharted game. Didn't you find that the game dragged in certain places?

And in terms of set pieces, when I think Uncharted i think of the building fall and train ride from UC2, the bar and plane fight, and sinking city from UC 3. With UC i think of the motorcycle chase. That's it.

mxgt

Banned
I think I'm pretty much done with Uncharted at this point.

This game just wasn't fun to play, and it becomes an absolute slog near the end with the endless bullet sponge enemies.

It looks great, it sounds great, the characters are fantastically animated and acted - they are wonderful to watch. The overall presentation is top notch, I can't really fault it.

The game play however, ugh. It just didn't click with me this time. I guess at this point the whole Uncharted process has just worn thin on me - run through an area while automatic platforming on highlighted areas where you can climb. Don't forget the endless crumbling rocks, ledges, bridges and whatever else! after the 100th time of Drake slipping and falling through something I was just thinking "eh, this isn't exciting"

There are sections where I just lose all immersion. "It's too high for a boost, let's look around!". Proceed to find conveniently placed random box on a ledge 10 metres away. Really? this happens 3-4 times I think?

Combat I suppose comes down to personal preference, but I just don't enjoy the gunplay or the enemy and encounter design. Once again, combat areas are extremely obvious and they just seem to throw a wave or two of enemies at you and that's it. Better throw in annoying ass armoured enemies too because they're a lot of fun to fight.

I will say though - I don't care that Drake kills hundreds of people, and I don't care about the ridiculousness of his jumps and stunts. That shit is cool.

In the end, I applaud the production quality, I dislike the overall gameplay. I'm glad I played it instead of watching the cutscenes, but it was a struggle at times.

I enjoyed TLOU so much more than this, can't wait for more of it.

I literally forced myself to play this game so that makes it all 4 games I've played simply due to the hype surrounding them. This game really put story above gameplay which isn't right, with TLOU there was a good and even mix of both which made it enjoyable. I don't play games for story but TLOU was still good because the gameplay did not take a back seat, with UC4 it really feels like gameplay suffered hugely due to trying to tell a fucking terrible story.

I wish I never bought this game but fuck it, £50 ain't going to make me lose sleep and hopefully co-op is coming soon. Also it's quite nice to have the game on my hard drive if I ever want to see what is the most beautiful game I've ever played.

5/10 for me, I was at the same time playing ratchet and it's amazing what a big contrast that game was for me, as in it was so damn fun I couldn't stop playing it. Hope Sony give Insomniac whatever they need for another, I can't believe the game studio that made those shitty PSN ratchet games as of late made this lovely new one.

Time to leave this terrible franchise behind now ND and move onto TLOU2, Straley should never have had his time wasted on UC4 but the other two directors couldn't get the game going.

I feel like a lot of people missed the point of Rafe but I can't really discuss it without spoilers.

He is meant to be an example of what Nate (or more importantly, Sam) could have become had they given in to their obsessions. The final fight is especially powerful because Nate is not really just fighting Rafe, he's fighting everything he represents. It's a battle that showcases what Nate's brother could have been without keeping him on this side of the line.

I thought it was a powerful personal touch and executed very well. Maybe it didn't work for some but I think writing him off as cliche is being a bit dismissive of the deeper theme there.

openrob

Just started playing this today and really enjoying it. And damn the facial animations are out of this world! Just a few chapters in, but yeah, great game.
(Really should have replayed the first 3 because I have forgottton everything lol)

'all chapters in madagascar'? aside from the chase (& maybe the clock tower), what of 'all chapters in madagascar' was especially memorable? the islands? libertalia? new devon? yeah, they're beautifully rendered places, but what exactly was going on in them that someone'd 'never forget'?...

'character moments'? any examples? because i can't think of any uncharted 4 'character moment' anywhere near on a par with, say, the ones between ellie & david, or several others from last of us. completely different league...

I literally forced myself to play this game so that makes it all 4 games I've played simply due to the hype surrounding them. This game really put story above gameplay which isn't right, with TLOU there was a good and even mix of both which made it enjoyable. I don't play games for story but TLOU was still good because the gameplay did not take a back seat, with UC4 it really feels like gameplay suffered hugely due to trying to tell a fucking terrible story.

I wish I never bought this game but fuck it, £50 ain't going to make me lose sleep and hopefully co-op is coming soon. Also it's quite nice to have the game on my hard drive if I ever want to see what is the most beautiful game I've ever played.

5/10 for me, I was at the same time playing ratchet and it's amazing what a big contrast that game was for me, as in it was so damn fun I couldn't stop playing it. Hope Sony give Insomniac whatever they need for another, I can't believe the game studio that made those shitty PSN ratchet games as of late made this lovely new one.

Time to leave this terrible franchise behind now ND and move onto TLOU2, Straley should never have had his time wasted on UC4 but the other two directors couldn't get the game going.
I never really got this sense. For as much as the story plays a role in the game, once the game gets going its pretty much the focus. The game is far from walking from cutscene to cutscene. I'm pretty sure chapters 8-11 or 13-15 are good examples of long stretches of just playing the game with little interrruption. I think you just dislike the gameplay because you're way overselling how much of it is story if you're fine with The Last of Us' balance but not Uncharted 4.

Tosyn_88

It would seem this debate doesn't get old isn't it. People who want more mechanics over narrative. I think at this point, people should know what to expect when buying games from certain developers, this isn't an rpg, assassins creed or another shooter. If you are hungry for mechanics, there's plenty of indie games, cod, battlefield, sports that cater to those needs so it's perhaps better to spend more time with those. You can't buy uncharted and then expect it to fill your thirst for grinding upgrades on fetch quests, this game never pretended to be what it isn't. I just feel it's rather a disservice to put yourself through the pain of getting a game you know you probably don't want and then complain it didn't serve you cheese burger when it never offered one to begin with

MAX PAYMENT

Just finished the game. Wow.

I always thought the uncharted series was way overrated.

I thought uncharted 1 was an awful game that got way more credit than it deserved because it came out during the "ps3 has no games" era. It did not deserve a sequel.

Uncharted 2 was definitely better, yet I still didn't understand why neogaf held it so highly. It was good, but extremely linear and scripted.

Of the ps3 trilogy I think I enjoyed 3 the most, though I ran into numerous bugs on release.

But wow... uncharted 4 blew me away. The game has issues. Pacing was a big one, there were some issues with slow-down, pop-in, and occasional jank, but the game was, overall, superb. It was the first time an uncharted game really clicked for me. Loved it. Can't wait to play it again. I'm also really digging the multiplayer.

Alienous

I never really got this sense. For as much as the story plays a role in the game, once the game gets going its pretty much the focus. The game is far from walking from cutscene to cutscene. I'm pretty sure chapters 8-11 or 13-15 are good examples of long stretches of just playing the game with little interrruption. I think you just dislike the gameplay because you're way overselling how much of it is story if you're fine with The Last of Us' balance but not Uncharted 4.

Wait, did you just disagree with the idea that UC4 puts its story ahead of gameplay then list only 7
out of 21
chapters in the game that are gameplay focused?

I feel like a lot of people missed the point of Rafe but I can't really discuss it without spoilers.

He is meant to be an example of what Nate (or more importantly, Sam) could have become had they given in to their obsessions. The final fight is especially powerful because Nate is not really just fighting Rafe, he's fighting everything he represents. It's a battle that showcases what Nate's brother could have been without keeping him on this side of the line.

I thought it was a powerful personal touch and executed very well. Maybe it didn't work for some but I think writing him off as cliche is being a bit dismissive of the deeper theme there.

But Sam does give into his obsessions. He lies to his brother and comes close to destroying his life in his desperate bid to get his hands on the treasure.

Even after Nate saves him from the clutches of Rafe and tries to get him off the island, he abandons his brother because he can't let go and even tells Nate to leave him behind after they've discovered the treasure.

He's oddly content too, remarking that he's only ever wanted to find the treasure with Nate as lies trapped under a beam, moments away from death.

To top it all off, he admits to Nate at the end he isn't ready to leave his dangerous lifestyle behind.

Sam, Rafe and the old lady in the mansion all represent a twisted interpretation of the person Nate could become.

But Sam aside, none of them get any time to develop as a character in their own right.

I appreciate what you are saying and agree, but it doesn't excuse the fact he has very little character of his own.

Aenima

I dont saw Rafe the same way you do. To me he is
just a spoiled rich guy trying to get some recognition from his own, as all the riches he have he got from his father so hes obcessed in finding the biggest treasure of all time to put his name in history. He is also jealows of Nathan from his past discoveries so the last fight for Rafe is personal, for Nathan he just there to save his brother and dont even want to fight Rafe but Rafe acting insane ends up getting what he deserved.

Alienous

I dont saw Rafe the same way you do. To me he is
just a spoiled rich guy trying to get some recognition from his own, as all the riches he have he got from his father so hes obcessed in finding the biggest treasure of all time to put his name in history. He is also jealows of Nathan from his past discoveries so the last fight for Rafe is personal, for Nathan he just there to save his brother and dont even want to fight Rafe but Rafe acting insane ends up getting what he deserved.

That's just a literal interpretation of what happened in the game.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I know that this game is the final act of Nathan Drake, and it's understandable that the narrative is focused on him and those closest to him. But Naughty Dog missed one more opportunity to have some better developed antagonists.

I already expressed how much i think Nadine was underused and even Rafe, who i consider a boring character, could have been better fleshed out. Common, the game has 15 hours, they could at least have created some dialogues between the mercenaries that would give us a glimpse of the villain duo.

Ricker

Just finished...what an awesome game,loved it besides a few parts where there was an overkill of climbing and some QTE but man,beautiful game...

Wait, did you just disagree with the idea that UC4 puts its story ahead of gameplay then list only 7
out of 21
It wasn't exaustive. Was just making the point that there are long stretches of not much but playing so I really didn't get the sense that the game cares about its story more than anything if they're willing to have those stretches. And I was definitely having fun during those chapters.

Aenima

out of 21

What do u consider gameplay? Just the shooting parts? I dont. All chapters from 1 to the last had gameplay to me.

joms5

It would seem this debate doesn't get old isn't it. People who want more mechanics over narrative. I think at this point, people should know what to expect when buying games from certain developers, this isn't an rpg, assassins creed or another shooter. If you are hungry for mechanics, there's plenty of indie games, cod, battlefield, sports that cater to those needs so it's perhaps better to spend more time with those. You can't buy uncharted and then expect it to fill your thirst for grinding upgrades on fetch quests, this game never pretended to be what it isn't. I just feel it's rather a disservice to put yourself through the pain of getting a game you know you probably don't want and then complain it didn't serve you cheese burger when it never offered one to begin with

I think you're misunderstanding what a lot of people find wrong with the title. It's not a question of mechanics over narrative. It's whether it has a fine balance or not. In the case of Uncharted 4 I don't think it does. The thing that bothers people is the fact that Naughty Dog has managed to blend the two in past titles, but in the case of Uncharted 4 either they decided to neglect more gameplay to tell their story or maybe it's just that what they had wasn't compelling to people. I mean I have a had time believing anyone that says the climbing sections were the perfect length and didn't drag on and on.

You say you can't buy Uncharted and expect it to be anything other than what it is. But that's the problem. It doesn't feel like Uncharted to me. It really kind of feels like an Uncharted story thrown into a TLOU mold.

What do u consider gameplay? Just the shooting parts? I dont. All chapters from 1 to the last had gameplay to me.

It's all gameplay, but it's all not necessarily engaging. If If I'm not truly having to figure out where to go, or having to be careful/quick-witted to traverse a given area, then the climbing can come across as dull and boring. It's gameplay, but it pales in comparison to combat in complexity, player agency and consequence. If different paths always existed, and that changed what encounters you end up in (which they do in chapter 10, but virtually nowhere else), then that'd make it feel more substantial. Or if most/all of the climbing required some timing and quick thinking like it does in the second to last chapter, then it'd be more interesting. Same with dialogue choices, exploration (again with chapter 10, there are some good opportunities for exploration in which you can actually do more than just walk/climb a bit off the beaten path, but that's an exception), and incentives for exploration (treasures don't affect the current/initial playthrough, and there's rarely any power weapons hidden somewhere).

And I actually liked everything in 4 individually. It's just there's too much of the really basic dialogue choices/optional convos, really basic traversal, and really basic exploration with too little payoff for all of it (either in tangible rewards or just satisfying, engaging gameplay). When it's properly balanced/mixed with the combat, it's all great, but that isn't always the case.

I think you're misunderstanding what a lot of people find wrong with the title. It's not a question of mechanics over narrative. It's whether it has a fine balance or not. In the case of Uncharted 4 I don't think it does. The thing that bothers people is the fact that Naughty Dog has managed to blend the two in past titles, but in the case of Uncharted 4 either they decided to neglect more gameplay to tell their story or maybe it's just that what they had wasn't compelling to people. I mean I have a had time believing anyone that says the climbing sections were the perfect length and didn't drag on and on.

You say you can't buy Uncharted and expect it to be anything other than what it is. But that's the problem. It doesn't feel like Uncharted to me. It really kind of feels like an Uncharted story thrown into a TLOU mold.

this's obvious from the start, where, rather than the blood-pumping, iconic uncharted theme at the title screen, we're instead treated to dark, moody background 'ambiance'. because 'serious!' :) ...

EL CUCO

Just got the Platinum. Definitely the most creative trophy list the series has ever seen. Had some of the traditional kill x with y, but the hidden ones are pretty cool.

Now I'm not sure if I should keep it around or trade it in. I really like the multiplayer but its kinda light on the maps and game modes so it starts to feel a little repetitive. Really interested to see what they do with DLC. Wonder if it'll be stand-alone.

Top Bottom