• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 confirmed?

Loudninja

I hope to see some fantastic setpieces,they have alot to work with this time.

I do wonder what they had to cut in other Uncharted games.

Gartooth

I'm not convinced UC4 is fall 2014. Maybe spring 2015.

Whatever the case I doubt we will get a solid launch date / time frame when the game is announced, ND specifically said they would never pull another Uncharted 3 again where the team was supposedly put under a brutal crunch period to finish the game on time.

My own prediction is that they are aiming for fall 2014, but if needed they will give it more time.

Ganondorfo

I am wondering when will we get an Uncharted collection? Every other big franchise this gen got a collection (AC, Killzone, Mass Effect,...)

LastNac

Either way, but I think it needs to be rather enticing whatever it is.

We're recently seeing a shift to more open, system driven campaigns and also persistent and/or large scale multiplayer games.

Naught Dog has something of an innovator status so if they can come up with a third new direction that could also be viable.

I guess the tl;dr version of what I'm saying is that they shouldn't ship a game that's a marginal improvement over Uncharted 3 with better graphics. That I feel would not be received well even if it was a fine game in a vacuum.

I don't think its as partisan as some on GAF make it out to be let alone the internet. I think the majority of fnas out there would be fine with it playing and essentially being the same kind of experience. I also don't see ND wanting to make it more TLoUish in any regard either.

I do think they need something new to get a lot of excitement going.

That we're having a thread debating whether or not this game should exist on Uncharted Fanbase Central shows that much.

Generally speaking, setpiece-to-setpiece games live on the freshness of their experience or the quality of their multiplayer. This would be the fourth go around for the Uncharted setting, so freshness is unlikely, but they could try and either tackle the multiplayer element a la CoD and Battlefield, or find something else to liven it up more.

I really don't think what people saying here mean much to tell the truth .
We have the usual people that don't like UC\ cinematic games but then ND did TLOU and all of sudden ND must work on new IP or do TLOU 2 since some people like it more than UC .
UC as a series has only gone up if we talking the consoles version and there is a whole lot more they can do now that it on next gen .
From making it more open , new ways of combat , new game play modes etc etc .
I think a good amount of the fans won't mind a new story with pretty gfx but i hope ND does more .

GeoramA

Next-gen Uncharted hnnnnnggg!!! Can't even imagine how good it's going to look or what direction ND will take the series.

Gartooth

Either way, but I think it needs to be rather enticing whatever it is.

We're recently seeing a shift to more open, system driven campaigns and also persistent and/or large scale multiplayer games.

Naught Dog has something of an innovator status so if they can come up with a third new direction that could also be viable.

I guess the tl;dr version of what I'm saying is that they shouldn't ship a game that's a marginal improvement over Uncharted 3 with better graphics. That I feel would not be received well even if it was a fine game in a vacuum.

I think their vision for Uncharted 3's multiplayer never quite materialized like they had hoped, so they might try and go further in that direction as far as multiplayer is concerned. (ex: setpieces such as boarding the cargo plane)

I do agree that single player needs a little bit of a shake-up though, but I don't think they will stray too far as "cinematic, movie-esque gameplay" is in Uncharted's DNA.

ButchCat

Uncharted 3 was a good conclusion where can the character development go from there? You guys really want The Mummy Returns? It just doesn't make any sense to do an Uncharted 4.

Stig and those guys from GoW3 must be working on some shit since 2010, that could be big for Fall 2014. Hopefully not GoW4. I think I want that less than Uncharted 4, and I enjoy that franchise. Especially after Ascension came and went like a fart in the wind this year.

I don't really see them as innovators at this stage. Uncharted and TLoU were more or less things we had seen before and the hook was they were just done so much better.

I'd be happy to see an U4 which is the uncharted series turned up to 11. I'm sure they have years of ideas and set-pieces that they couldn't make work on the PS3 and I'd like to see them.

Whatever the case I doubt we will get a solid launch date / time frame when the game is announced, ND specifically said they would never pull another Uncharted 3 again where the team was supposedly put under a brutal crunch period to finish the game on time.

That was very real

Balestra reflects on how the project schedule somewhat followed the close timing of the E3 press conference: "[For] this project, everything ended up being done at the last minute. You're talking about the difference between Uncharted 2 and 3; this one was more tight in terms of getting things done and shippable." Even when it was time to stop working and submit a disc to Sony, things would crop up.

Wells relates, "We were three days from gold master -- a [few] weeks ago -- and our lead programmer comes in with Christophe and [game director] Justin Richmond, and they shut the door. I'm like, 'Why are we having a closed door conversation so close to gold master?' He sits down with the most depressed look on his face, and he says, 'Guys, I took the game home, and it's a mess.'" The problem: the game performs just fine -- for the first half. After reaching the halfway point, numerous bugs would crop up. Objects would disappear. Walls would flicker in and out of existence. Nathan could find himself in a hall devoid of anything -- geometry, texture, lighting, etc.

Wells continues, "All of these bugs point to the exact same problem in our streaming system. We are streaming stuff constantly; we're abusing the PlayStation 3 like a bad child. We're streaming audio, music, animation, video, levels, textures, everything. We're filling the memory, and about halfway through, it gets jammed up so that when we ask for a texture, it's not there; we ask for an animation, and it's not there." Balestra interjects to note that the reason this bug came up was because the programmer happened to play the game on an older test unit -- most of Naughty Dog's Quality Assurance team were using newer debug hardware and hence weren't running into this issue. The developers realized that a lot of fans still probably play games on launch-era PS3 systems, and this bug could end up ruining a lot of players' experiences.

Balestra remembers having an intense two-hour-plus discussion with lead programmers Travis McIntosh and Christian Gyrling to nail down exactly what triggers the game's meltdown at the halfway point, and they concluded that somehow, the streaming system was causing the PS3's hard-drive to fragment, which therefore led to lots of seeks when requesting data, and said seeks would cause the "traffic jam" that Wells described earlier. Wells notes, "Even though it's literally past the day that we told Sony, 'We're not changing the code anymore, trust us,' we went in and changed the most fundamental and frequently called function in the game."

Two days after that, Naughty Dog submitted the Uncharted 3 gold master for active production. And based on their track record (recall that the studio has always shipped a game in two years), Naughty Dog personnel are probably already having meetings about their 2013 title.

http://www.1up.com/features/mapping-uncharted-3-drake-deception?pager.offset=7

LastNac

Overall I am just pleased with the current state of things. I am content with Uncharted 3 being the end but really would like to see another. At the same time I also loved most of TLoU. I am just always taken aback thugh when it comes to people's reactions and what they want to see made. Some act like an Uncharted 4 would be the last thing that ND will ever do.

Seems like a lot of people don't have patience in an industry that has spoiled some by offering yearly releases. TLoU will comes, a new IP will come.

Half-Life 3 on the other hand though...

LastNac

Stig and those guys from GoW3 must be working on some shit since 2010, that could be big for Fall 2014. Hopefully not GoW4. I think I want that less than Uncharted 4, and I enjoy that franchise. Especially after Ascension came and went like a fart in the wind this year.

Oh yeah, what's your favorite then?

Uncharted is a shooter. It's a shooter with platforming traversal, but it's a shooter nonetheless. If I'm going to be shooting guns for like 7 hours of a 10 hour game, it damn well better be satisfying.

This is all true. I think what's most important, whether people give the games due credit aside, is that people understand Uncharted 1-3 (assuming the same for the Vita game) are shooters because about 4/5s of the games involve shooting. The games have a particular goal they're trying to achieve (at least 2 and 3 do) and a TPS is the medium ND are using.

We've been through this a million times. You play Uncharted for the "experience." You take moments like Drake wandering through the desert and place them front and center in terms of what you took away from the game. I play Uncharted for the same reason I play every other "traditional" game: The gameplay. Everything around that core gameplay bolsters the experience, but is not the experience itself IMO. The story, the cutscenes, the voice acting, the cinematic set-pieces; they all sit on the shoulders of the core gameplay mechanics. It's why I could never forgive Uncharted 3 for not being fun in combat, and it's why i feel that The Last of Us is the best thing post-Jak Naughty Dog has done so far.

The traversal in the games is undersold too often. Uncharted 2's encounter design was done with care; no two shootouts were exactly alike and each had direction. The freedom of player movement deserves more mention too. Taking cover, vaulting cover, swapping cover, climbing and jumping during combat all feels right in UC2. It doesn't feel as if you have to hit this wall perfectly straight on in order to snap to it, or that there are a bunch of weird geometry in areas you'd want to traverse during combat. You can run along the top of a waist-high wall, you jump over it without having to slide into cover first (like in Vanquish or Gears). This is part of why the multiplayer mode was so appealing; you could climb up a tower to pull a player down or just shoot over the ledge you climbed up. You could shoot/throw grenades while falling and this was a useful tactic depending on where other enemies were placed.

Enemies in 2's singleplayer weren't outright bullet-sponges they were in 3 or the spastic reticule-dodgers in 1. It took 3-4 shots from pistols to the body to kill them, but they would react to getting shot. Their placement would allow for some limited stealth, they weren't psychic (relied on line of sight) and the armored enemies could reliably be killed by shooting off pieces of armor, then shooting them once expose. They were slower than regular enemies (unlike in 3 where they'd run right up on you, even when getting lit up).

I just... I don't see where that game outright fails in regards to the shooting and combat. Aiming is fine, you can shoulder switch, cover system is reliable (though having roll and snap-to on the same button could be changed). It's a linear game that keeps the player in control during the set-pieces; the fact that the tank chase can be completed in one go by a new player without removing the risk of death deserves a lot of praise. having a guided experience while still leaving the player in control has to be a logistical nightmare, but ND did it there. Most games that try to have a focus beyond combat but feature a ton of it (i.e. Tomb Raider '13) tend to bore me to tears with their encounters, but UC2 managed to make the combat itself good for what they were going for and to actually design the encounters beyond "enemies flow in 'here' and 'here' until X are killed".

I still remember your suggestion for more intimate, scrappy fights with less focus on pure shootouts. A more pulp action adventure version of TLoU's combat would be perfect; shootouts could be less arena-based "clear everything out" fare. This would be preferable and probably more fitting, but that doesn't change that UC2 nailed what ND was trying to achieve.

Ein Bear

I'd be up for a God of War 4. Given Killzone: Shadowfall and inFamous: Second Son, it looks like Sony is keen on soft-rebooting it's major franchises for next-gen. GoW in it's current form has definitely become stale, but 'cinematic, violent, action game based in mythology' is a great concept with a lot of juice still in it, and a hypothetical GoW4 starting over with a clean slate and new setting could really make the series special again IMO.

Samyy

I'd be up for a God of War 4. Given Killzone: Shadowfall and inFamous: Second Son, it looks like Sony is keen on soft-rebooting it's major franchises for next-gen. GoW in it's current form has definitely become stale, but 'cinematic, violent, action game' is a concept with a lot of juice still in it, and a hypothetical GoW4 starting over with a clean slate and new setting could really make the series special again IMO.

Ascension should have been a ps4 launch title imo.

By that logic OoT is a dungeon crawler because you be crawlin' dungeons half the time. It isn't though. Uncharted isn't a "puzzle game" either because it features a fair amount of puzzles. It is the sum of its parts, not the parts themselves that make it what it is collectively. Gears and Uncharted are almost incomparable in terms of make up and time spent during activities. Hell, I don't think you can go three minutes without shooting at some dude in any Gears. Uncharted 3 didn't even feature weapons until chapter 5.

Modern Zelda is just "Zelda." As simple as that. No other series has that kind of pacing, or item acquiring + use, or dungeon + puzzle designs without being directly compared to Zelda. Uncharted on the other hand, is mostly about shooting dudes. Yes, it's an "action/adventure" title in the broadest sense, but so is almost every other game. When we're really breaking it down, most of your time in Uncharted is spent shooting. Uncharted 3 didn't feature weapons until chapter 5, but chapter 10 and beyond was pure shootouts and set-pieces aside from when you're stranded in the desert. A slow initial build and attempts at diversity with platforming and puzzles doesn't not make it a shooter. It's not Doom, but it's still a shooter.

I take away the memorable from anything and to me there isn't anything memorable about killing guy 5 or guy 55 in the same fashion just in another room. The "core gameplay" should be a vehicle or mechanic to get you to the other showcase moments, it shouldn't be the showcase itself. My problem with Uncharted 2 was it seemed like the gameplay was the focus and everyother thing just felt like an excuse to get you to go somewhere else and shoot some more dudes("No Chloe, I don't want to turn the power back on!") If you are going to feature constant gameplay as the main focus then design an interesting encounter around it
(ala getting ripped out of the car in TLoU.)

This I entirely disagree with. I'm not a fan of set-piece focused design where the core gameplay is just flat wasted time until the next "high." My issue with that kind of thing is that the "highs" aren't even real highs for me. Everything that has stuck with me from Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us stems from interesting encounters with enemies. Not the explosive scenes, or chase sequences, or buildings falling, or cutscenes, or story twists, but interesting and high intensity moments in combat. Moments where I have total authorship of what's happening and am creating highlights using systems within the game.

I also think "fun" is dangerously subjective. To me there was never anything "fun" in UC1 or UC2 about just mowing some guys down. The stand out moments fo me would be something like the graveyard in UC1 when all of the sights came out or the collapsing building from UC2. I play the shootouts to progress the story, if you are playing them for their own sake then why even progress further as opposed to just replaying an "impressive" shootout? Hell, by that logic why not play just multiplayer?

Bruh, you just made my argument. The reason shooting guys doesn't stand out is because they've never nailed gunplay in Uncharted. If the game had great physics, and booming gunfire, and exhilarating shootouts with reactive AI, and more interesting scenarios rather than falling back to wave-based arena shootouts like Uncharted 3, I wouldn't be complaining right now. And multiplayer is not a good substitute because you lose player controlled pacing, you lose scripting, you lose physics and hit reactions, you lose control of situations. Multiplayer is its own thing, and can never be a substitute for a good shooter campaign IMO.

LastNac

Just wondering, what is the time limit for you guys when it comes linear experiences?

15 or 20 hours being too long?

Vizzeh

Banned
They had to lie to each other at ND when TLOU was being worked on. I highly doubt your friend is gonna give any info away.

I seen a developer diary where their entire floor plan was open spaced so that even with 2 teams, they were not isolated and could bounce ideas of each other to make use of internal talent, they said they had many interesting conversations on game mechanics etc just by walking down the hall.. Are you sure it was ND that was lying to each other about games? (TLOU team- the 2 main dudes, Neil druckman and.....? seemed to smirk at knowing what the other team was doing when questioned recently)

I'd much rather they start this gen with a new IP. That worked well the last three gens.

Hand off Uncharted to another talented team and give us something badass and new in 2015.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
2014 is very believable. Uncharted 3 was released in 2011. Naughty Dog programmers are very sharp and now their platform is extremely straight forward hardware. They should have no difficulty creating a solid engine by then.

UrbanRats

Just wondering, what is the time limit for you guys when it comes linear experiences?

If the pacing is good, even 20 hours.
RE4 lasted me 23 hours, didn't bother me for 1 second, infact, i completed it a second time right away.

Depends entirely on how well the gameplay holds up over that time. If it's a character action game like DMC or Bayonetta with deep weapon pool/mechanics/strategies, then length of the campaign isn't a concern if I have a desire to get better at the game (helps to have something that keeps track of how well I do). If the controls/gameplay themselves aren't complex, then it depends on how they're used. If a game is like Portal where all you do is pull one trigger/click one mouse button or the other, then the level design and ways to use those controls have to be interesting (which they were for Portal and Portal 2).

When I've liked Uncharted, it was well paced with scenarios that were each interesting in some way and no two encounters were alike. If a new Uncharted can make every moment feel legitimately engaging, then it could last any length of time (if I'm enjoying myself, I'd prefer it last longer). If story and characterization are given emphasis, then that needs to mesh well with the gameplay, otherwise I'll feel like it's a waste of time, in turn contributing to making me feel like things have gone on too long.

I feel as if there's still use for a new Uncharted game because that "interactive pulp action" angle ND has been going for still could be improved upon from UC2.

I seen a developer diary where their entire floor plan was open spaced so that even with 2 teams, they were not isolated and could bounce ideas of each other to make use of internal talent, they said they had many interesting conversations on game mechanics etc just by walking down the hall.. Are you sure it was ND that was lying to each other about games? (TLOU team- the 2 main dudes, Neil druckman and.....? seemed to smirk at knowing what the other team was doing when questioned recently)

You know on second thought, it might have been to people who asked them and not their own coworkers.
I just remember during UC3 production ND hired a bunch of people to create a second team and no one knew about that second team until TLOU was announced at the 2012 VGA's.

Gartooth

2014 is very believable. Uncharted 3 was released in 2011. Naughty Dog programmers are very sharp and now their platform is extremely straight forward hardware. They should have no difficulty creating a solid engine by then.

I kind of have the same thinking as yours, where I think that if the U3 team really is making U4, then the game will probably be out by holiday 2014 assuming nothing goes wrong. If however, Sony Bend or any other studio is making U4 while the U3 team is working on a new IP, I would expect that game to be out by the end of 2015.

Ein Bear

Ascension should have been a ps4 launch title imo.

I really have no idea what happened with Ascension. It certainly wasn't a bad game, but damn if it wasn't a huge step down from GoW3. The entire time I was playing it, I had to keep reminding myself that this was a full God of War game, made by the proper GoW team, and had been given a three year development cycle. It felt more like I was playing a 'filler' game like Halo 3: ODST or something.

God of War 2 sent the PS2 off with a bang, whilst Ascension was forgotten about a week after it came out.

Oh yeah, what's your favorite then?

2. I feel Cory Balrog and the team really nailed the formula with that one. The best combat in the series, best enemy design, the huge environmental variety, the pacing and structure between the puzzles, the combat, the traversal, etc. They also had a lot more 1-to-1 human sized boss fights that I thought were mechanically interesting, like Perseus, Zeus, and particularly the first Sister of Fate.

3, while very pretty, felt rushed and a step down in a lot of ways from 2. The level design, the pacing of its various elements, the environments(I swear half the game takes places in various drab caverns), the combat design changes. It was a shorter game for me, about 8 hours compared to GoW2's 11. And the story, while not particularly GOOD in GoW2, is really bad here. Pandora is such an awful, awful plot device, and then you got that walking forward for 10 minutes section at the end that just doesn't work, because all sympathy we had for Kratos was used up like a full game and a half ago.

I don't think the GoW formula is a bad one, but 3 and Ascension were various steps downs from 2, and its starting to produce diminishing returns. Perhaps a new mythology/new character would reinvigorate things.

And get rid of the Blades of Chaos. I get why Jaffe wanted them, the AoE style of design with very long range, wide-reaching attacks made them very accessible to a large amount of people, but they've basically made 6 games now designed completely around them, its time for something new.

I just... I don't see where that game outright fails in regards to the shooting and combat. Aiming is fine, you can shoulder switch, cover system is reliable (though having roll and snap-to on the same button could be changed). It's a linear game that keeps the player in control during the set-pieces; the fact that the tank chase can be completed in one go by a new player without removing the risk of death deserves a lot of praise. having a guided experience while still leaving the player in control has to be a logistical nightmare, but ND did it there. Most games that try to have a focus beyond combat but feature a ton of it (i.e. Tomb Raider '13) tend to bore me to tears with their encounters, but UC2 managed to make the combat itself good for what they were going for and to actually design the encounters beyond "enemies flow in 'here' and 'here' until X are killed".

Uncharted 2 is the best of the UC games in terms of keeping encounters interesting which is why I think it wins by default. In that regard it doesn't "outright fail" in general combat, but the details in gunplay still leave a lot to be desired. It all works like it's supposed to, but it's not punchy enough IMO. The Last of Us does a much better job at making guns sound and feel dangerous to the point that gunshots can actually startle you, and interaction against enimes with guns feels intense and dynamic. Uncharted is just too tinny and soft. I don't know if it's a result of keeping the game to a T rating, or if they just got better for TLOU.

I still remember your suggestion for more intimate, scrappy fights with less focus on pure shootouts. A more pulp action adventure version of TLoU's combat would be perfect; shootouts could be less arena-based "clear everything out" fare. This would be preferable and probably more fitting, but that doesn't change that UC2 nailed what ND was trying to achieve.

you remember that bro? Aww shucks

But don't get me wrong, I still think UC2 is a great game despite my issues. They achieved what they were going for, I just think it can be better.

15-20 hours should be the goal for games like Uncharted IMO. Unless you're going for pure balls to the wall constant action with only 1 major form of interaction like Call of Duty or Vanquish, 15-20 hours of well paced content is a good length. Unfortunately, that seems to be a dream scenario most of the time with the way level design and pacing have gone, so I'm usually happy with 12-15.

LastNac

Modern Zelda is just "Zelda." As simple as that. No other series has that kind of pacing, or item acquiring + use, or dungeon + puzzle designs without being directly compared to Zelda. Uncharted on the other hand, is mostly about shooting dudes. Yes, it's an "action/adventure" title in the broadest sense, but so is almost every other game. When we're really breaking it down, most of your time in Uncharted is spent shooting. Uncharted 3 didn't feature weapons until chapter 5, but chapter 10 and beyond was pure shootouts and set-pieces aside from when you're stranded in the desert. A slow initial build and attempts at diversity with platforming and puzzles doesn't not make it a shooter. It's not Doom, but it's still a shooter.

This I entirely disagree with. I'm not a fan of set-piece focused design where the core gameplay is just flat wasted time until the next "high." My issue with that kind of thing is that the "highs" aren't even real highs for me. Everything that has stuck with me from Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us stems from interesting encounters with enemies. Not the explosive scenes, or chase sequences, or buildings falling, or cutscenes, or story twists, but interesting and high intensity moments in combat. Moments where I have total authorship of what's happening and am creating highlights using systems within the game.

Bruh, you just made my argument. The reason shooting guys doesn't stand out is because they've never nailed gunplay in Uncharted. If the game had great physics, and booming gunfire, and exhilarating shootouts with reactive AI, and more interesting scenarios rather than falling back to wave-based arena shootouts like Uncharted 3, I wouldn't be complaining right now. And multiplayer is not a good substitute because you lose player controlled pacing, you lose scripting, you lose physics and hit reactions, you lose control. Multiplayer is its own thing, and can never be a substitute for a good shooter campaign IMO.

Firstly, Chapter 10 begins to see Drugged Drake. There is more running around and chasing then there is shooting. Hell, it really doesn't feature pure shootouts until the boat sequences (12 through 14). Trust me, I know my Uncharted 3.

Second, its pretty hypocritical to say Zelda does "Zelda" and overlook what Uncharted has done. Like it or not, Uncharted has birthed this type of "cinematic experience" genre that places more emphasis on presentation, design, and set pieces then it does on shooting dudes. Do you not remember "Everything was Uncharted?" The series has gone on to shape an identity, as hard as that might be to accept or acknowledge and none of that is for shooting.

I think we have hit the core of the argument. It really is authorship versus designer's story. Drake isn't me and I'm not Drake, therefore I don't really invest any thing in authorship or highlights. Neither do I garner any validation out of playing it on Hard or overcoming gameplay obstacles. Uncharted is not something that you brag to your buddies about "beating" or "owning encounters." You instead talk about the setpieces and stories, what made you go wow, not the close encounters with digital death and such. I am not writing my own story in Uncharted, I am turning the page of another's. If I want authorship I go to experiences that put that above the story(your Obsidian games, what Bethesda used to offer etc.)

You can "nail" shooting guys and it still fall flat, brah. Max Payne 3 is mechnaically one of the best third person shooters ever to be made and it is also the greatest chore I have had to slog through in the last 8 years. I found it to be absolutley terrible. Exhilarating or no, it played the same from beginning to end. I could have just played five minutes of it and walked away with the same experience of someone who had played it through albeit it a shorter one. I'll atake any Uncharted with supposed "sub par shooting" over Third Person Shooting Mechanics: THE GAME any day of the week.

LastNac

2. I feel Cory Balrog and the team really nailed the formula with that one. The best combat in the series, best enemy design, the huge environmental variety, the pacing and structure between the puzzles, the combat, the traversal, etc. They also had a lot more 1-to-1 human sized boss fights that I thought were mechanically interesting, like Perseus, Zeus, and particularly the first Sister of Fate.

3, while very pretty, felt rushed and a step down in a lot of ways from 2. The level design, the pacing of its various elements, the environments(I swear half the game takes places in various drab caverns), the combat design changes. It was a shorter game for me, about 8 hours compared to GoW2's 11. And the story, while not particularly GOOD in GoW2, is really bad here. Pandora is such an awful, awful plot device, and then you got that walking forward for 10 minutes section at the end that just doesn't work, because all sympathy we had for Kratos was used up like a full game and a half ago.

I don't think the GoW formula is a bad one, but 3 and Ascension were various steps downs from 2, and its starting to produce diminishing returns. Perhaps a new mythology/new character would reinvigorate things.

And get rid of the Blades of Chaos. I get why Jaffe wanted them, the AoE style of design with very long range, wide-reaching attacks made them very accessible to a large amount of people, but they've basically made 6 games now designed completely around them, its time for something new.

I get this, I can respect this.

Two is certainly the most varied in terms of locals and the most epic in terms of story.

I would say 3 is my favorite though, just wished it had opened up a little more as opposed to just being set on Mt. Olympus.

Liked Ascension a lot really, loved the combat changes(the never dodge as opposed to the QTE) and the mech. pythons is a series topper for me.

1 is my least favorite, feels like a chore at times.

Haven't played the PSP games yet, heard great things about GoS though.

Uncharted 2 is the best of the UC games in terms of keeping encounters interesting which is why I think it wins by default. In that regard it doesn't "outright fail" in general combat, but the details in gunplay still leave a lot to be desired. It all works like it's supposed to, but it's not punchy enough IMO. The Last of Us does a much better job at making guns sound and feel dangerous to the point that gunshots can actually startle you, and interaction against enimes with guns feels intense and dynamic. Uncharted is just too tinny and soft. I don't know if it's a result of keeping the game to a T rating, or if they just got better for TLOU.

That's why I always say UC2 tries to achieve something different than other TPSs like TLoU. The gun sounds in TLoU sound dangers and the comparable (barehanded) melee moves feel far more brutal than in UC2 despite there not being that much blood and gore, yet you're not supposed to always feel like drake could be ripped in half by a shotgun blast. That isn't to defend the lack of impact in UC2's combat, but it shouldn't feel like F.E.A.R. or Gears or even TLoU in that regard.

you remember that bro? Aww shucks

<3

It just sounded exactly like what people expect from the setting/story/characters. I still remember being weirded out by comparisons between Gears and Uncharted when the latter first came out, but it was more like that than Tomb Raider, despite the setting. Having dynamic fights that go from a fistfight, to fighting over a gun, to a rooftop chase sounds appropriate.

Jac_Solar

Who is Famousmortimer? I know that he posts here, but just wondering if he's a journalist or an insider of some sort since he knows there's an Uncharted game, and other stuff people have quoted from him.

Top Bottom