• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Game Informer preview details [Up: Will have multiplayer]

I forgot about that. It was pretty distracting, but would've been infuriating if she was always giving you away.

I don't see why they can't make friendly AI aware of what the enemy AI is going to do. Say they're searching for you in a certain area, well, the friendly AI will do its best to stay away or even dodge their cone of vision. The enemy looks one way, Ellie/Sam moves the other way and they can do this constantly because they know exactly what the other AI are up to, so long as you don't screw it up.

Sure, this would mean that they're way too capable but atleast it doesn't break the immersion.

GnawtyDog

Banned
All of these details sound like they went down a checklist of everything I wanted from the next Uncharted. Can't wait for this.

30 fps is fine but they did show 60fps footage, said 60 was the target, and haven't mentioned anything since. Some people, myself included, are just a bit curious about it. Besides, everything else sounds so exciting it would just be icing.

Targeting is non-binding PR. Keyword non-binding. This has been discussed to death. People should not be at all surprised if the game ships 1080p, 30fps. I thought the PSX demo was enough....

I don't see why they can't make friendly AI aware of what the enemy AI is going to do. Say they're searching for you in a certain area, well, the friendly AI will do its best to stay away or even dodge their cone of vision. The enemy looks one way, Ellie/Sam moves the other way and they can do this constantly because they know exactly what the other AI are up to, so long as you don't screw it up.

Sure, this would mean that they're way too capable but atleast it doesn't break the immersion.

If it only were that easy...

Furyous

Is this a pseudo open world game? Alternate paths are cool as long as there aren't any sharks. I powered through Uncharted 2 in 12 hours using youtube guides so this will be a refreshing way to start the final chapter. The alternate routes give this the pre-emptive best next gen feels. I expect no less than five different paths per board per encounter, being the entitled gamer I am. Although, my expectations are subject to change upon quality of level design.

The whole PMC angle scares me because of the mass amount of grunts. This seems like their response to claims that Drake is a serial killer. Essentially, give him hired goons to take out and make this more of a game in the eyes of the gamer who has that controversial perspective.

Please Naughty Gods, grant us with alternate endings and branching storyline paths. Make every decision count and force me to replay this game to achieve the right result.

jett

D-Member
Well, our "no load" thing was all about after the initial load, be it from starting the game, or starting from a save. Really it was more about how our levels were all streamed to let us do that rather than loading up a bunch of unnecessary assets all at once and just have them sit there in memory until you got to them, and do that all over again for the next chunk.

I gotcha.

Did it really bug you that much?

Nah, but it's cool that they're real-time. It just makes the whole package more impressive to me, like the MGS games. Not a fan of video compression either.

Well...there was a bug in Uncharted 2 where weird colors would sometimes show up around the the corners of the image. (you can see a green box for instance in the top-right corner in the intro cut-scene) If your TV or monitor didn't overscan the picture, you could notice it. This bug was fixed, but it was obviously baked into the cut-scenes. :p

DavidDesu

I bet Sam betrays Drake.

Maybe Drake betrays Sam. If anything I imagine given Naughty Dog's quality they may look like they're heading in that direction then really Sam acts like the protective older brother that he should be. I'm hoping there's nothing glaringly obvious like Sam just betraying him cos he's the jealous type. Needs to be more shades of grey than that.

viveks86

All of these details sound like they went down a checklist of everything I wanted from the next Uncharted. Can't wait for this.

I know! 60 animations just for picking things up sounds like a massive increase. How many did Joel have? Felt like single digits. The animations actually detracted from the experience when the object was nowhere near Joel's hand but he did that canned grab animation anyway. Can't wait to see these in action. Also 840 facial animations sounds awesome. They were probably needed in order to enable realtime cut scenes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well...there was a bug in Uncharted 2 where colored lines showed up around the the corners of the image. If your TV or monitor didn't overscan the picture, you could notice it. This bug was fixed, but it was obviously baked into the cut-scenes. :p
Ha, I remember that. Before the patch if you zoomed in using the d-pad the letterbox didn't go all the way across the screen or all the way to the bottom. :lol

arne

So Arne, what about that 60 fps target? Nobody wants to talk about it anymore :/

I'm dying to know this too, considering many ND guys saw the light with TLOU. Come on, Arne, spill the goods.

And thanks for the info!

damnit arne, can ya'll confirm the 60 fps target or is that no longer a thing :(

I know I'm going to get quoted probably no matter what I say. Media friends - don't bother! PR people - don't hunt me down either!

We're still in development and, knowing you all with your pitchforks and torches in the event we drop just one frame (remember our back and forth over TLOUR?), we'll talk more when we're getting closer to release. We have a lot of stuff to talk about our tech goals, targets, dreams, and reality.

EDIT: And we'll be upfront once we can be.

arne

Am I mistaken assuming some of the handhold platforming sections are used to load assets? I know the crumbing of objects that blocks any backtracking is used to "dump" the previous area's assets.

Not exactly - there are areas in our games that are valves - so you can't backtrack to let us continue streaming forward.

Once you see them, you can't unsee them. Sorry for ruining it!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yes, we remember the "is Naughty Dog having trouble with PS4?" bullshit, as well as the "it's not really 60 fps unless it is locked 60 fps 2056% of the time." Thankfully those people were embarrassed as usual and had to go back into their holes for the time being.

But it is a legitimate question about what the -target- of the game is and whether that is hot air (like Driveclub devs saying they were targeting 60 fps) or something the team is actually working towards, whether they hit it or not.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I know I'm going to get quoted probably no matter what I say. Media friends - don't bother! PR people - don't hunt me down either!

We're still in development and, knowing you all with your pitchforks and torches in the event we drop just one frame (remember our back and forth over TLOUR?), we'll talk more when we're getting closer to release. We have a lot of stuff to talk about our tech goals, targets, dreams, and reality.
I look forward to hearing and seeing more when the time comes.

For what it's worth, I think most people were very pleased with TLoUR's performance (I certainly was)

Yes, we remember the "is Naughty Dog having trouble with PS4?" bullshit, as well as the "it's not really 60 fps unless it is locked 60 fps 2056% of the time."

But it is a legitimate question about what the -target- of the game is and whether that is hot air (like Driveclub devs saying they were targeting 60 fps) or something the team is actually working towards, whether they hit it or not.
Releasing 60fps footage has certainly created a greater expectation of 60fps in this game versus statements made in a couple small interviews well before release.

If it only were that easy...

Doesn't seem too hard, wherever Ellie goes, the enemy AI simply goes the other way or looks away. Both of their AI have to secretly work together to make it look convincing, meaning some amount of planning on where they're heading to and how their heads are turned. Though this can lead to players exploiting the the AI by knowing that they purposefully choose not to go towards Ellie which seems like an even bigger problem to me.

viveks86

Haha. Alright mister. My pitchfork stays in the closet. For now :p

For what it's worth, I think most people were very pleased with TLoUR's performance (I certainly was)

Me too!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Sounds good. We appreciate the response!

And still using cutscene model for gameplay? The model shown prominently in the new GI and the PSX talk? Or still to early to lock that in?

Gray Matter

bye gaf, see you Q4 2015

go-god-go-part-2-20061102015236763.jpg

I wish it was that easy.

LastNac

I'm fine with 30fps. I've got no visual expectations in regards to frame rate.

Ever get any word on that Drake's Journal or movie-esque posters for Uncharted?

arne

Haha. Alright mister. My pitchfork stays in the closet. For now :p

Blame dark10x

I'm fine with 30fps. I've got no visual expectations in regards to frame rate.

The money is in the same locker as usual, same combination on the lock, you know, the usual one, that goes 1-2-3-4

Ever get any word on that Drake's Journal or movie-esque posters for Uncharted?

It's a new year and we'll start to discuss it!

Leb

Would it be irresponsible to make inferences regarding target framerate from comparisons between The Order and UC4? I guess seeing The Order and UC4 side-by-side has given me cause to hope that the target framerate remains 60fps.

Blame dark10x

The money is in the same locker as usual, same combination on the lock, you know, the usual one, that goes 1-2-3-4

Wishing you and everyone at ND an awesome new year sir! Go for Glory with UC4!

alrighty, just let everyone in the studio know some guy named ViewtifulJC would really appreciate that 60fps target and the game will better for it. After playing TLOUR at 60fps, switching back to 30 felt wrong, lol. Like the game was busted or something...how did I play this at sub-30fps before?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
alrighty, just let everyone in the studio know some guy named ViewtifulJC would really appreciate that 60fps target and the game will better for it. After playing TLOUR at 60fps, switching back to 30 felt wrong, lol. Like the game was busted or something...how did I play this at sub-30fps before?

That switch is legit eye opening. I can move from 60 to 30fps games just fine but never before have I seen the difference without some kind of visual break in between.

Got the source of his age from the Wikia:
During Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Nate claims that he was in prison at the age of fifteen, within a year of meeting Victor Sullivan. Sully later claims that he was at least forty when first he met Nate, and that he is twenty-five years older than Nate. This places Nate's age at the time at fifteen years old, and at thirty-five years old during the rest of the game.
So Nathan is 38 years old, huh. He looks a bit old for being in his late 30's, was expecting him to be around Early-Mid 40's.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Blame dark10x

Are we really chasing fools gold Arne?

"Every betrayed us all"

"Again records get murky until July 1695 when Mayes, Tew and Every work together to plunder the Gunsway.
Unfortunately for Mayes, Every made off with the loot by slipping his anchor chain in the middle of the night.
Mayes stayed in the Indian Ocean until early 1696. He loot ed at least three more of the Mogul’s pilgrim ships
before sailing for New York with approximately 200,000 pound sterling in loot; his own share worth about
7,000 pound. Rumors say he spent time going back and forth from New York and Newport trading pirated
wares for English goods, then sailing to St. Mary’s to trade with the pirates."

Just throwing the bait....

LastNac

Always a pleasure doing business with you. ;)

Sounds good, looking forward to what you guys offer in the store.

If they do go 30, just throw in some high quality object motion blur like in Ryse or The Order 1886 and I won't complain.

Yeah, where is the motion blur for UC4?

LastNac

That switch is legit eye opening. I can move from 60 to 30fps games just fine but never before have I seen the difference without some kind of visual break in between.

Motion Blur makes up for it in my opinion.

If it came down between 60FPS and Motion Blur I'd go with motion blur.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Motion Blur makes up for it in my opinion.

If it came down between 60FPS and Motion Blur I'd go with motion blur.

I agree to a point, although 60 with motion blur is delicious. I was just directly referring to TLoUR there, which had less motion blur than the PS3 release. It was a pretty huge difference between 30 and 60 because of that.

arne

Are we really chasing fools gold Arne?

"Every betrayed us all"

"Again records get murky until July 1695 when Mayes, Tew and Every work together to plunder the Gunsway.
Unfortunately for Mayes, Every made off with the loot by slipping his anchor chain in the middle of the night.
Mayes stayed in the Indian Ocean until early 1696. He loot ed at least three more of the Mogul’s pilgrim ships
before sailing for New York with approximately 200,000 pound sterling in loot; his own share worth about
7,000 pound. Rumors say he spent time going back and forth from New York and Newport trading pirated
wares for English goods, then sailing to St. Mary’s to trade with the pirates."

Just throwing the bait....

I'm smarter than tha.... what's that over there?

Who's responsible for multiplayer this time around?? Can this person take suggestions from the majority of Gaf? Can a poll be created?? Can someone do it?? I honestly would hate for UC4 to be another tread through COD like nonsense with the way UC3 was.

What you mean nonsense? Discussing a multiplayer that a lot of people didn't like doesn't make it nonsense.

Jigolo

I fucking love when GAF jumps to conclusions then gets shut down.

"Fuck this game is gonna be so dark I'm sure. Just look at that trailer" - Trailer shows us less than 1% of the game and has a few skeletons here and there.

Bruce Straley - paraphrasing here but he was bacially saying "calm the fuck down, neogaf"

And now many are saying ND canned 60fps target but there has been no official statement saying that. They showed us a early pre alpha demo in stable 30fps and somehow that means the final game will be 30fps.

I don't know how some of you come up with this.

EDIT: Arne's hair is majestic

kyser73

I fucking love when GAF jumps to conclusions then gets shut down.

"Fuck this game is gonna be so dark I'm sure. Just look at that trailer" - Trailer shows us less than 1% of the game and has a few skeletons here and there.

Bruce Straley - paraphrasing here but he was bacially saying "calm the fuck down, neogaf"

And now many are saying ND canned but there has been no official statement saying that. They showed us a early pre alpha demo in stable 30fps and somehow that means the final game will be 30fps.

I don't know how some of you come up with this.

We'll be onto 'Drake the MURDERER!' next.

Raoh

In Naughty God I Trust!

I always thought the Uncharted Multiplayer was good/fun but I never took it too seriously. The Last of Us multiplayer was/is great. So can't wait.

If anyone out there is listening. Give the team behind The Last of Us multiplayer the SOCOM license.

Yo Arne. Here are the keys to making UC4 a TEN OUTTA TEN

1. Keep track of that guy Net_Wrecker's posts. He's totes amaze

2. Disregard LastNac and his clan. They be crazy.

Fin.

stryke

Doesn't seem too hard, wherever Ellie goes, the enemy AI simply goes the other way or looks away. Both of their AI have to secretly work together to make it look convincing, meaning some amount of planning on where they're heading to and how their heads are turned. Though this can lead to players exploiting the the AI by knowing that they purposefully choose not to go towards Ellie which seems like an even bigger problem to me.

Maybe you should go work at Naughty Dog and tell them how to do it.

Also, is there any information about weapons covered in the issue? Hopefully U4 will feature a wider diversity of guns than its predecessors. From what I have seen in the gameplay demo, enemies and Drake use only SCAR as main weapon. Other than that gun, I don't see any different one being used :|

Top Bottom