• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

Aces&Eights

TLOU Remastered looks on par if not better in certain areas : lighting looks better and character models are on par.

Very underwhelmed to say the least : Heck even Uncharted 3 bar the resolution looks better in my memories.

Did you catch the part about it being prealpha? Game is over a year away as well. Also, share the link you use to watch an uncompressed version on because I can't find one.

kpaadet

Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome BUT i expected much more from a linear, 30FPS(?), NEXT-GEN game. Especially developed by Naughty Gods.

Also i feel a bit bad for Bruce Straley :/

When are we gonna stop saying "next-gen", we are a year into current gen (not counting Wii U) for gods sake.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
EnAed7d.jpg

Best game ever confirmed. Can't wait to hear them talk and banter. AMAZING.

Really disappointing for me.

Nothing to do with the graphics. Hard to tell from my stream but they look beautiful.

For me, it's the complete lack of any innovation, change, evolution or progression. ND seem to have learned nothing from TLOU to take over to Uncharted 4, apart from a new reticule icon. 7 years on from the original, we still have the same formula of looking around (press triangle), climbing a bit, 'shit going to hell' and then a climactic sigh of relief. It's the same awkward animations, the same locations, the same enemies you kill in the same way and the same sloppy gunplay. It's more lushious and maybe a tad more open, but being able to duck under foliage now is not a progression that is worth 7 years of waiting.

In fact, for me it's almost a decline given the tone is all over the place. Every game they claim to be darker, more gritty, more emotionally damning, but it ends up completely at odds with Nolan North's little quips here and there and the attempts at humour.

At least Drake now has a brother who'll betray you that they've waited 7 years to tell us about?

There are games doing parts of what Uncharted did better, and there will soon be games (if you don't believe there already are) that do all of what Uncharted does better. It's staying the course and sailing on into irrelevance as it fails to renew or evolve. In fact, I'm pretty sure ND's own innovations and evolution in TLOU and whatever new projects are going to cannibalise Uncharted.

If you wanted more of the same, then there can be no complains. But for me, it's literally 'same shit, not-very-different island'. We can argue if it's a generational leap in graphics, but I can't see even sizable hop in gameplay after 7 years.

Okay, so I would like to know exactly what Naughty Dog would do to innovate the game? People say this without saying exactly what they mean by this. It's easy to tout innovation but let's hear your idea of it.

DOWN

Banned
Well the lighting is so good in the teaser than can be confused with CGI even in motion. That's not a single thing that's different, but many imo.

But the teaser is an extremely different lighting scenario and source. We don't know until we compare the same scene. I don't think you can pinpoint lighting differences under these circumstances.

EDIT: Lol you added basically everything and that's just not the case

Asbear

Banned
You need to look at PS3/360 games again. Humans always looked like dull plastic.

4VAkWJ7.jpg

mJ0wlRF.jpg

Yes lol don't patronize me, I'm exactly aware of that and usually ND sets the bar higher than third parties. DA Inquisition looks as good as this UC4 demo IMO.

I was expecting it to live up to that E3 2014 reveal because it's significantly better looking than other PS4 crap I've seen, and it SHOULD be becuase if the difference between Jak 2/3 and Uncharted 123 was as big as it was, then Uncharted 4 damn well better be too, and it just flat out isn't as of this gameplay trailer. Period.

But the teaser is an extremely different lighting scenario and source. We don't know until we compare the same scene. I don't think you can pinpoint lighting differences under these circumstances.

Yes I can. As anyone can see two different games and tell which one has better lighting if there is a diference.

edit: the games looks great, i am not denying that, don't feel bad, , but that teaser looked as good as many CG made nowadays from beginning to end. The game looked like a great looking game from start to finish of the demo, but i never thought it was CG.

Wow, this thread took a dump fast.

Visuals look incredible but it was the gameplay that looked phenomenal, the AI, level traversal and gunplay.....wow!

Yup.

Somehow we still get the standard "no innvative, no next gen enugh". Apparently people were expecting Nathan Drake to hop on a ship and travel the universe.

Yes lol don't patronize me, I'm exactly aware of that and usually ND sets the bar higher than third parties. DA Inquisition looks as good as this UC4 demo IMO.

Whoa, man you must be blind.

R_Deckard

I forgot UC123 were pre-rendered, sorry. But UC4 is 30fps now innit?

Are we still sure about this?

Naughty Dog said said:
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End will be aiming for 1080p60 in-game, with Naughty Dog saying it's become an objective for all of its PlayStation 4 titles.

Yep, Nothings changed! game is still a year out from release.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-21-uncharted-4-is-pushing-for-1080p60-on-playstation-4

Log4Girlz

Looked amazing. I never played Uncharted, is there any reason given why he's like a super-lemur just leaping and bounding everywhere like a superhero?

Okay, so having watched it a few times now, one being the Gamersyde version, I'd say I'm somewhat disappointed. Two BIG things stand out to me that make it feel like a cross-gen game: lighting, and geometry. Both look decidedly last-gen. Lighting is sort of flat, and almost has this kind of UC1 feel to it, and all of the rocks and bolders and everything (besides the character models) look like they are lacking a lot in geometry.

Now, the vegetation is great (besides some of those trees), the character models are fantastic (though the hair is a definite downgrade over the E3 reveal), and the water is also just awesome.

Man it still has months to go .
This is pre alpha , look at the leak BB trailer and now look at the game now .

Wabba

I love the gameplay, seen it 3 times now. The graphics looks amazing, and it looks like ht playing grounds have been bigger able to sneak past the guards. And Drakes little brother (voiced by Troy Baker) why has he never talked about him before.

I see that the demo was in 30 fps are they still targeting 60 fps?

DMiz

Not sure what to take away from the gameplay reveal. I'm a big fan of the second game - it still ranks among my top 10 favorites - but with no experience in either the first or the third entries, all I can say is: "this looks like more of the same."

I was personally hoping for a more inspiring sign of change, but for the most part, the reveal was actually quite boring and didn't inspire much. I'll likely still get it when it releases, but I'm not exactly driven to do so based on this reveal.

Also, poor Straley; Druckmann seems to get most of the fame and attention these days, so to see him get shafted is a disappointment.

TarNaru33

Banned
Of course I am. There is a leap... it's just not very big at all, when it comes to pure graphical fidelity. I think the gameplay looks more organic than ever so there is that. I'm just not gonna pretend this is impressive to look at.

Your comparison ignores too much differences in the leap, not to mention you comparing a crappy screen. That screen you posted looks really terrible compared to the downloaded video.

Also, UC1-3 all of the effects you see are baked and the cutscenes pre-rendered.. That isn't so in UC4 (and many other current gen games), as well as them targeting 60 fps (and before anyones tells me the video is 30fps, it doesn't mean they stopped with trying for 60 fps since they have close to a year and I saw absolutely no drops in frames).

Anyone who compares this to PS3 graphics have very bad eyesight, is trolling, or have extremely bad memory of PS3 graphics.

When it comes to console graphics, this is up there imo with The Order (though The Order looks better), Ryse, and Killzone Shadowfall's campaign. No other console game out at this moment comes close.

Superflat

Nothing to do with the graphics. Hard to tell from my stream but they look beautiful.

For me, it's the complete lack of any innovation, change, evolution or progression. ND seem to have learned nothing from TLOU to take over to Uncharted 4, apart from a new reticule icon.

I don't know what you're talking about. Not only is this a single location of the game, but there's plenty they're telling us with this gameplay segment that is going to give players new means of exploration and combat.

Additional means of traversal (I doubt the pick is the only tool Drake will use)
Multi-use grapple
Meaningful stealth and new means of using it
AI that communicates and cooperates with each other
Not a kill room where you can only progress by defeating all enemies

Another thing I noticed was that at the end of the gameplay, there's no hard cut to black before the cutscene, showing it was all real time. Damn impressive.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Imo the greatest aspect of TLoU gameplay (aside from the weighty brutality of it) is that it's not a traditional stealth game. You can fluidly move from stealth to combat, back to stealth. You can walk around like a predator, stalking guys. You don't have to crouch and fall into that long-tired "stealth gameplay" that every fucking stealth game on the face of the earth forces on you. You don't really have to do that and can still play stealthy. Combat can erupt in an instant and then subside again. The AI is really good for the most part in fights.

Now it's in Uncharted. But with a jump button. And run-n-gun. And blindfire. And lassos and melee disarms. And quips. Fuckin love Drake man.

Hopefully Naughty Dog know what they are doing :\
They could have showed a gameplay teaser and then the most polished version of the game at E3. Don't they know that showing it now is too early?

hohoXD123

For me, it's the complete lack of any innovation, change, evolution or progression. ND seem to have learned nothing from TLOU to take over to Uncharted 4, apart from a new reticule icon. 7 years on from the original, we still have the same formula of looking around (press triangle), climbing a bit, 'shit going to hell' and then a climactic sigh of relief. It's the same awkward animations, the same locations, the same enemies you kill in the same way and the same sloppy gunplay. It's more lushious and maybe a tad more open, but being able to duck under foliage now is not a progression that is worth 7 years of waiting.

In fact, for me it's almost a decline given the tone is all over the place. Every game they claim to be darker, more gritty, more emotionally damning, but it ends up completely at odds with Nolan North's little quips here and there and the attempts at humour.

At least Drake now has a brother who'll betray you that they've waited 7 years to tell us about?

There are games doing parts of what Uncharted did better, and there will soon be games (if you don't believe there already are) that do all of what Uncharted does better. It's staying the course and sailing on into irrelevance as it fails to renew or evolve. In fact, I'm pretty sure ND's own innovations and evolution in TLOU and whatever new projects are going to cannibalise Uncharted.

If you wanted more of the same, then there can be no complains. But for me, it's literally 'same shit, not-very-different island'. We can argue if it's a generational leap in graphics, but I can't see even sizable hop in gameplay after 7 years.
Eh? There are clear improvements there which they took from TLOU, most notably the more open areas and dynamic stealth. The grapple hook is also a welcome addition as well as the verticality during fights. The AI isn't too shabby either. I'd say Uncharted is evolving just fine.

Top Bottom