• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

This looks amazing. I was really impressed with the combat, level design, and additional platforming elements. These areas were the biggest disappointment with Uncharted 3, and it looks like the series is returning to form.

Hopefully those additional improvements continue to span across the entire game and add more range and diversity to the combat.

Graphically it looks superb, especially being a year away and already looking like a finished game. As for the E3 trailer -- that was a cinematic, games always have higher fidelity visuals for cinematics vs. gameplay. The gameplay looks pretty true to the vision of that trailer, and the foliage looks spectacular. Love that the image quality is so clean.

Let's just hope they can get it to 60 fps.

Asbear

Banned
Yea, the AI look incredible and Drake seems more nimble than ever

Then again. ND really teased us with that E3 demo of TLoU having super realistic AI and organic flow of gameplay. The final product was nowhere near as sophisticated as that little demo they had.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That was amazing. Great job ND.

This thread sucks though.

Better quality gif of that scene:

ebzxfq.gif
I got hyped from this point onwards.

Phil4000

Not impressed, everything shown could have been done on PS3! :/

Why would you show us jungle gameplay again, so us something new!!!

R_Deckard

So cutscenes are 60 gameplay is 30? I keep seeing people saying the game's going to be 30FPS, so where are you getting 60fps from?

ND came out and said Target 60 (as they did for TLOU). They made a big thing about how 60 is a game changer. The footage shown is a year from release, I think we can be safe that if it ran a 60fps now they would just as well release it now.

The amount of crow and pie they would have to eat to back track on this would be madness, they would have set themselves up for it.

The only people raging on 30 is ones that are trolling or expect a game no where near complete or optimisation yet to be a final, cellophane'd retail copy, its ridiculous!

StevieP

Banned
I must be in the minority here but seeing glitches like that give me more confidence in the game as a whole. It shows the developers have confidence in their project enough to actually do a real demo of alpha code instead of just rendering the whole thing. In a world of Ubisoft bullshot trailers, I thought people might appreciate that more.

Showing this is much better than showing bullshot or unrealistic trailers. Kinda like this at E3. lol

Showing actual, in-game gameplay is how all of these games should be both revealed and advertised. It's unfortunate that most of the time (especially at conferences) you don't get that from most devs.

Isn't that manipulated color wise, though? And that's from the E3 footage that everyone was impressed by, not today's gameplay that disappointed a lot of people.

exactly, I meant I was expected a whole 15 minutes with level of visual fidelity and I wasn't so I was utterly disappointed.

And I just tried grabbing the first gif of that scene that I could.

Astral Dog

TLOU Remastered looks on par if not better in certain areas : lighting looks better and character models are on par.

Very underwhelmed to say the least : Heck even Uncharted 3 bar the resolution looks better in my memories.

you cant be serious, better colors, maybe.

camac002

So anybody have any ideas on the AA solution here? Do we have a new contender for best post process AA? It was doing the business.

DOWN

Banned
If you can't see the difference with his hair then you're blind.

I see the hair, and it looks like it has a difference in processing or smoothing and blur, with maybe other differences, but what else is different? The second pic is clearly sharper in general anyway.

This looks like UC1 and Tomb Raider 2013 had a baby together - and thats a good thing in my book.

My wish for the new UC game was more open levels (not open world, just more open) and this demonstration shows just that. Very happy about that. And i always love vertical level design.

Combat, traversal and stealth blend together nicely and that level gives me a nice adventure feeling.

I like what i saw.

tekrapid

Neo Member
For a game that's still some months away I thought it looked pretty damn good. Not least from the verticality of the encounters and the size of the area. And goddamn that rope swing looked fun.

Grudy

I have no idea what people are complaining about. That huge draw distance, amazing foliage and super fluid combat all looked fantastic to me.

I don't get all the hate. Looks amazing. Graphically it is on par or greater than any other console game I have ever seen can't wait. DAY 1.

Graphically, I was mildly disappointed, but we have to remember this game is a year out. I do think this was a downgrade from the E3 reveal.

I really enjoyed the open world gameplay. Should be a lot of fun.

Fbh

Looks awesome IMO.

-The level design, at least in that area, looked like a BIG step up from the franchise. Bigger and more dynamic than most areas in U1-3

- Graphics are a tad bit dissapointing which I guess is a bit unfair as the game looks awesome but when it's Naughtly Dog you allways expect them to go beyond awesome.
As for "it looked better before"... I don't know. People need to realize that an in engine cutscene, even if it's in real time, IS NOT THE SAME as gameplay.
From the cutscene at the end, the faces looked about as impressive as the E3 trailer to me

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Gameplay looks pretty much perfect. Graphics still have a ways to go, I'm sure ND can pull it off.

The Order is still the most impressive PS4 game by a large margin, imo.

Game will be nuts.

jackdoe

This game looks great. The simple geometry on the edges is disappointing at first, but I realize it's purely to facilitate gameplay and make it clearly obviously what can be climbed.

AngryMoth

Graphics look incredible, can't believe they're targeting 60 fps. Like seriously holy shit. Edit: oh wait is the 60 target not confirmed anymore?

I thought the combat looked great. Impressive that it was a live demo, I didn't realise until he died lol. But I imagine like TLoU E3 demo it was very rehearsed to be an ideal play through. Still impressive.

I wish they had changed more about the platforming though. Done something to make it less pedestrian and introduce a bit of challenge somehow.

I was hoping there would be some more dramatic changes but I'm still down for another one of these. More than anything I hope they nail the multiplayer like they did with 2.

YeSp

Neo Member
Loved every minute of it. Still a year away from release and the game already looks very good. I especially liked the way you have more freedom to approach a situation. Something they probably borrowed from TLOU. The new climbing stuff also looked very cool

Anyway day one buy for me

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
1080p, 60FPS, cross-gen, open world

I'm out.

There's barely any vegetation there, and what's there is meh. It's too bad because they could stand to cover up those terrible ground textures.

I see the hair, and it looks like it has a difference in processing or smoothing and blur, with maybe other differences, but what else is different?

Well the lighting (and SSE, and IQ, and geometry) is so good in the teaser than can be confused with CGI even in motion. That's not a single thing that's different, but many imo.

not only are the graphics the best I have ever fucking seen..

Really? I mean it's a great-looking game but if you look at the Gamersyde vid (best quality anyone has seen) and then pop over to the high-res screenshot thread in Off-Topic, I don't see how you can say that.

UNCHARTED4_Demo_PSX_1417867786mp4_snapshot_0735_20141206_153305_zpsd50db68a.png

Percy

Banned
lol at anyone expecting something that looks this good to run at 60fps on PS4. System just isn't up to that.

Then again, the amount of conclusion jumping and willful ignorance at play over this game the past hour or so has been more entertaining than that trailer could ever have been. So thanks GAF... I guess?

VanWinkle

Okay, so having watched it a few times now, one being the Gamersyde version, I'd say I'm somewhat disappointed. Two BIG things stand out to me that make it feel like a cross-gen game: lighting, and geometry. Both look decidedly last-gen. Lighting is sort of flat, and almost has this kind of UC1 feel to it, and all of the rocks and bolders and everything (besides the character models) look like they are lacking a lot in geometry.

Now, the vegetation is great (besides some of those trees), the character models are fantastic (though the hair is a definite downgrade over the E3 reveal), and the water is also just awesome.

RBK

Banned
I don't think anyone really believe that first trailer was all in game?

Still looks really good as a next gen title. Even looks like it took a few gameplay elements from Tomb Raider.

Watching through the footage again, they really do seem to have taken a leaf out of TLoU expanded linear approach. This feels like a leap.

CozMick

Banned
Wow, this thread took a dump fast.

Visuals look incredible but it was the gameplay that looked phenomenal, the AI, level traversal and gunplay.....wow!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
There's barely any vegetation there, and what's there is meh.

Those are shots from Konami, you should watch Gamersyde's 1080p, 60FPS video.

Also without using the map you can get lost in the jungle, It's THAT big.

Blinck

Was a little disappointed with the graphics even though they look great, I guess I just expected more somehow.

Most of all disappointed once they started playing the game. It's the exact same thing as the other 4 uncharted games we've already played. Even the goddamn jumping sound and animation.

GavinUK86

Really? I mean it's a great-looking game but if you look at the Gamersyde vid (best quality anyone has seen) and then pop over to the high-res screenshot thread in Off-Topic, I don't see how you can say that.

UNCHARTED4_Demo_PSX_1417867786mp4_snapshot_0735_20141206_153305_zpsd50db68a.png

You make zero sense. Take a screencap and compare it to 4k, downscaled shots? Yeah, gtfo.

UrbanRats

Graphics aren't as mindblowing as i was expecting (or rather they're more how I was expecting), but the gameplay looks like the most fun Uncharted has been:

Intricate, vertical level design.
Actually meaningful stealth.
Better platforming (even though not by a long shot).

Top Bottom