• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

StuBurns

Banned
This was the only impressive thing at the show really, outside of Bloodborne anyway.

It was exactly what I wanted from the next Uncharted. It feels like the UC1 location, not that globetrotting crap, the game design looks like an evolution of TLoU, larger areas, more dynamic encounter design, dynamic stealth, incredible stuff. Drake still sucks, and ledges are still too obvious, but it was great, really surpassed my expectations, and it was fucking beautiful.

Bravo.

rope swing, smart AI that doesnt just run at you, all the verticality in combat, stealth in foilage, etc

TR is a joke in the combat department.

Yeah, the combat here looked really varied and exciting, and I like how vertical it was and how Drake could actually hide and avoid the (surprisingly decent) AI. Despite anything else, that was my main take away from this footage; that the combat looks great.

Not knocking TR though, as I've not played the recent one.

orioto

Good Art™
People in this thread i swear... lol.

What they showed is pretty miraculous on this hardware, and so far from anything on PS3... At some point it's just people having shit in their eyes, like the cut scenes comparisons and people not seeing the gap..

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
4mo png from uncompressed video
uQ8Uohz.jpg

That looks awesome.

Jonm1010

Banned
Well, yeah... but screengrabs from Gamersyde's footage are still several times more compressed than Share button screenshots. And that's assuming that you don't get more compression still from your image host.

all the more reason i hope naughty dog releases a truly uncompressed version soon.

Whaaat!? But Druckmann said "No more Troy Baker! He's everywhere now, it's getting annoying!" on an IGN liveshow back when TLoU Remastered came out.

Really? The guy sounded very much like him I thought. Eh, we'll see I guess

Game looked stunning, no doubt about that.

Too much climbing though. Seriously, I thought it was Rock Climbing Simulator 2015 for a moment there.

Have you played U2?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
4mo png from uncompressed video

Imgur hosting adds more compression. And again, if by uncompressed you mean Gamersyde... lol.

Artex

Banned
Damn that looked fun as hell. I love Uncharted's combat and that level design just looked like a treat to move around in.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm not following you here. MGS 5 looks rather plain graphics wise, what we can see of UC4 is well above that.

Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome BUT i expected much more from a linear, 30FPS(?), NEXT-GEN game. Especially developed by Naughty Gods.

Also i feel a bit bad for Bruce Straley :/

TLOU Remastered looks on par if not better in certain areas : lighting looks better and character models are on par.

Very underwhelmed to say the least : Heck even Uncharted 3 bar the resolution looks better in my memories.

gogogow

People needs to realize that gameplay will never be as impressive looking as a carefully crafted cutscene (replay vs gameplay in racing games). The model could be in-game model vs cutscene model. We don't really know yet. Another thing is probably the lighting. In the demo the lighting isn't particularly exciting, rather dull, compared to the lighting/nighttime from the teaser.

Raist

Banned
It looks leaps and bounds above UC3.

And considering the improvements made to each Uncharted title between first gameplay and release, I wouldn't worry too much.

lumzi23

The graphics are decent (based on the admittedly low video quality).

What REALLY impressed me was the gameplay/gunplay and the AI. Looking forward to this.

BadAss2961

1080p, 60FPS, cross-gen, open world

I'm out.
MGS V is amazing, and probably my most anticipated title. But Uncharted is a different type of game in that it has to craft all types of high-action setpiece moments.

It would be great, but people should not expect 60fps from UC4.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yeah, the combat here looked really varied and exciting, and I like how vertical it was and how Drake could actually hide and avoid the (surprisingly decent) AI. Despite anything else, that was my main take away from this footage; that the combat looks great.

Not knocking TR though, as I've not played the recent one.

They did an excellent job showing how this game clearly is being built with both stealth and action approaches in mind. Hence the shift in focus half way through from combat to stealth.

This is really disappointing. Totaly a downgrade, if there was any developer I would never expect this from it was Naughty Dog.

What the fuck happened?

Wait. You do know you were comparing a realtime video from a realtime cutscene right ? This has been done for 20
Years there are 3 levels of graphics

1. Realtime video
2. Realtime cutscenes
3. Gameplay

The e3 reveal was 1.
This has 2 and 3

Realtime video has game assets running on a dev console with the purpose of showing it in video form only and not able to manipulate

Realtime cutscenes are based entirely on game assets with no controls

Gameplay is gameplay

This point happens in

Every
Single
Game

Did you really think the e3 was a cutscene from the game ?

Either people have this basic lack of game presentation despite being gamers or they are willfully ignoring for an argument

Even so you can notice a drop in the hair quality. The left looks like CG hair that blends together very nicely while the right is more videogamey and cruder looking. It still looks way beyond what some other devs do hair wise but they're not the same assets being used.

Which is expect cause one from gameplay the other from a cut scene.
Plus the game has at least 6 month more to go .

Aurongel

I must be in the minority here but seeing glitches like that give me more confidence in the game as a whole. It shows the developers have confidence in their project enough to actually do a real demo of alpha code instead of just rendering the whole thing. In a world of Ubisoft bullshot trailers, I thought people might appreciate that more.

DOWN

Banned
Sold on the gameplay. Not the graphics, as in, I don't think they look "holycraptasticamazing" compared to other PS4 games which UC123 did for PS3. I've said my piece now.

Uncharted 1 didn't look that amazing. Uncharted 2 is the one that put ND front and center.

TLOU Remastered looks on par if not better in certain areas : lighting looks better and character models are on par.

Very underwhelmed to say the least : Heck even Uncharted 3 bar the resolution looks better in my memories.

WHAT? Are you people just basing your opinions off the crappy twitch stream or what? Even the 1080p youtube version looks stunning, and it's still compressed to hell.

I can't believe some people can't accept there is a difference unless the scene is 100% the same. I don't want to see you guys claiming that a completely different game can be judge to look better than another completely different game now.

Darker

Banned
Really disappointing for me.

Nothing to do with the graphics. Hard to tell from my stream but they look beautiful.

For me, it's the complete lack of any innovation, change, evolution or progression. ND seem to have learned nothing from TLOU to take over to Uncharted 4, apart from a new reticule icon. 7 years on from the original, we still have the same formula of looking around (press triangle), climbing a bit, 'shit going to hell' and then a climactic sigh of relief. It's the same awkward animations, the same locations, the same enemies you kill in the same way and the same sloppy gunplay. It's more lushious and maybe a tad more open, but being able to duck under foliage now is not a progression that is worth 7 years of waiting.

In fact, for me it's almost a decline given the tone is all over the place. Every game they claim to be darker, more gritty, more emotionally damning, but it ends up completely at odds with Nolan North's little quips here and there and the attempts at humour.

At least Drake now has a brother who'll betray you that they've waited 7 years to tell us about?

There are games doing parts of what Uncharted did better, and there will soon be games (if you don't believe there already are) that do all of what Uncharted does better. It's staying the course and sailing on into irrelevance as it fails to renew or evolve. In fact, I'm pretty sure ND's own innovations and evolution in TLOU and whatever new projects are going to cannibalise Uncharted.

If you wanted more of the same, then there can be no complains. But for me, it's literally 'same shit, not-very-different island'. We can argue if it's a generational leap in graphics, but I can't see even sizable hop in gameplay after 7 years.

Wait. You do know you were comparing a realtime video from a realtime cutscene right ? This has been done for 20
Years there are 3 levels of graphics

1. Realtime video
2. Realtime cutscenes
3. Gameplay

The e3 reveal was 1.
This has 2 and 3

Realtime video has game assets running on a dev console with the purpose of showing it in video form only and not able to manipulate

Realtime cutscenes are based entirely on game assets with no controls

Gameplay is gameplay

This point happens in

Every
Single
Game

Did you really think the e3 was a cutscene from the game ?

Naughty Dog themselves said it was in game at 1080p60...soooooo

This thread....Jesus fuck at the amount of people ignoring this is "pre-alpha". The fact that it's stable at 30fps with everything they showed in the demo is amazing in it's own.

Not to mention 90% of GAF claimed it was way too early to show gameplay.

Also, don't forget that ND even stated that at the start of The Last of Us development on PS4, the game was running like utter shit and crashing constantly.

Top Bottom