• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think using the term "white" isn't necessarily helpful anyways since there are plenty of "white" backgrounds that see little to no representation in gaming. You've got a monopoly within the industry mostly by those of Western European descent. Lots of others are left out. Like I said, is Greeks? Not represented well for the most part. I rarely get to "see myself" in games.
That's what I was basically saying.

They can make other casting choices, keeping up the tradition of diverse casting, yes. In this case they didn't.
I feel that they should do it based on the acting, not just doing it for the sake of it. Especially if other characters who're minorities are played by the actors who are the same race.

But the all those VAs of different ethnicity that they've casted before informs us that there are no racial politics at play here.
Exactly, people are really seeing malicious intent when it's really not there.<---- And interpreting statements like this as saying that there isn't a diversity issue in hollywood.

It would be one thing if Laura actually had some range and wasn't easily recognisable with a phony accent. But I guess all she can really do are variations on her regular voice, and yknow, Shinchan.
That's due to directors asking her to use her regular voice, I for one had no idea this was Laura Bailey until it was pointed out. She has range, but like most actors, she gets asked to do the same/similar things.

Tapejara

"Why weren't people mad about Clementine?" is such a nonsensical argument. You can keep going as far back as you want to find examples; if people had criticized Telltale's casting decision for Clementine back then, you can bet the same people asking why people are mad now would be asking "well why weren't you mad before when [white actor] played [minority character]?" It doesn't make people hypocrites for criticizing Naughty Dog's casting choice just because they didn't criticize a previous example - unless you believe that any time you change your mind on an issue your concerns are invalid because you once held a different viewpoint.

At the cost of taking the role away from the talented Terrence C. Carson? I was being snarky, because as much as I'd enjoy seeing a few more Greeks in games, I'm not going to advocate taking away Carson's role simply because he's not actually Greek. That's silly to me, and people suggesting that approach sound silly to me.
I was thinking more when SSM was looking for a voice actor for kratos not replacing the role from Terrence.

Frog-fu

Banned
But in this case diversity is flourishing because it's more about the character than the actor playing them. Casting a black person just because isn't the right way to do things, after all there's a bunch of casting calls for these sorts of things. This is one of those situations where the gaming industry differs from the film industry. Some of the most prominent roles in games were, (unbeknownst to the general gaming populace if this thread is anything to go by), not played by the race of the character. This isn't a blackface issue because they're just taking the performance and applying it to a digital model. You're doing more harm than good with this argument man.

Diversity matters on and behind the screen. Studios aren't really committing to diversity by leaving out half of the equation.

You would think they'd cast black actors because they were right for the role, not just because. But then again, you would rather have me believe there were none good enough than to accept some of your favourite developers just didn't really commit this time around.

I'm curious why you would bring up blackface because this clearly isn't that, but it's nice that you followed that up with that incredibly patronising last sentence.

But that's what they have done in all their previous games: Merle Dandridge, Yaani King, T.J Ramini, Sayed Bradeya, James Sie. We don't know the circumstances that led to this casting choice. Did they feel that Laura was the best fit for the role?Could there have been some scheduling conflicts with some other VAs that they might have wanted?

The narrative that this casting is equivalent to "taking shortcuts to progressiveness" is what I mean when I say the dissent/negativity surrounding this issue is overwrought and forced. This is undercut even further by the fact that this game is developed by ND-- one of the major studios that tries to be diverse.

Why do you feel previous rights justify or excuse subsequent wrongs? That's not how the world works.

There is nothing overwrought or forced about my or anyone else's commentary on the issue. You don't get to legislate when minorities are allowed to take offense or complain about the representation of their race.

If you take issue with our arguments, challenge them on their merits. Don't presume to appoint yourself the arbiter of race relations in gaming and try to shut down criticism simply because you don't want to hear it or the subject matter it's based on makes your uncomfortable.

I've found that the "white" part of my heritage is pretty poorly represented within gaming. So I guess I should make it known to SSM that I want an actual Greek to be Kratos in the next God of War and not some black guy. They should be able to find a Greek to play a Greek. There's millions of us, many of us talented actors in fact. That's only fair right?

I don't know what you're hoping to achieve by being facetious. I really don't.

Just an FYI we get SHUNNED the hell out in movies, and I hardly see asian representations in both mediums. This is ridiculous. You're making a big hoopla out of nothing, target the film industry if anything.

So... crabs in a bucket, huh?

Rozart

Why do you feel previous rights justify or excuse subsequent wrongs? That's not how the world works.

There is nothing overwrought or forced about my or anyone else's commentary on the issue. You don't get to legislate when minorities are allowed to take offense or complain about the representation of their race.

If you take issue with our arguments, challenge them on their merits. Don't presume to appoint yourself the arbiter of race relations in gaming and try to shut down criticism simply because you don't want to hear it or the subject matter it's based on makes your uncomfortable.

I'm of a minority race myself, thanks. SEA Asian here.

Edit: "Makes me uncomfortable". Really? That's what you think is going here.

Here's my reply to the bolded.

But the all those VAs of different ethnicity that they've casted before informs us that there are no racial politics at play here.

Frog-fu

Banned
Not at all. I'm not saying -insert race- shouldn't get represented because I don't. I'm saying this is a silly argument that will only hurt VA's more than help them.

Where is the silliness in caring about equitable representation and how will demanding companies do better hurt VAs more than help them? What is the foundation for those beliefs you are so insistent are true?

Crossing Eden

Diversity matters on and behind the screen. Studios aren't really committing to diversity by leaving out half of the equation.

You would think they'd cast black actors right for the role, not just because. But then again, you would rather have me believe there were none good enough than to accept some of your favourite developers just didn't really commit this time around.

I'm curious why you would bring up blackface because this clearly isn't that, but it's nice that you followed that up with that incredibly patronising last sentence.
Ok, first of all, insinuating that ND is my favorite developer and that that's the reason i'm defending them here is absolutely ridiculous. Secondly, yes diversity matters on and of the screen, but in this industry, like the animation industry, an actor's performance is much more important than their race. It's different from Hollywood where they actively snub minority roles due to subtle and not so subtle racism. They're committing by making a minority character in the first place. And yes, ND goes through a long casting process due to the sheer amount of roles in their games compared to similar games and due to how important acting is in their games. It's even more baffling that this issue is being brought up specifically here because it is not the first time at all that Laura has been cast as someone who doesn't share the same ethnicity as her. I mean ffs, she's played a ton of asian roles.

hesido

Uncharted4GAF.gif

You know Drake shutting the door against this lady can be considered controversial in this thread!

Of note, I do find the facial animation a bit in the uncanny territory, the lady's when she's speaking by the door. Of course I can't put my finger on it.

I don't know what you're hoping to achieve by being facetious. I really don't.
I'm asking: If it's disappointing for Clementine or Nadine to be voice by a white woman, why is Terrence allowed to be a Greek without any hint of controversy? Why weren't more people disappointed by that inauthenticity?
I was thinking more when SSM was looking for a voice actor for kratos not replacing the role from Terrence.
Either way, I wouldn't care. Replace him or just rewind time to consider the issue from the initial casting call. I think Terrence did and will continue to do an excellent job. There's no reason to take him out just so I can get a slight, passing, warm and fuzzy feeling when I see a Greek name in the credits. Terrence is amazing and he was "the best actor" for the job.

Akara

Banned
Where is the silliness in caring about equitable representation and how will demanding companies do better hurt VAs more than help them? What is the foundation for those beliefs you are so insistent are true?

Because equitable representation isn't about hiring because you need to meet a certain quota of having this much of this race, and this much of this race. Because Equal representation is being able to audition for a part without bias and as objective as possible. I want to be represented as an individual who is just as good as the next talented voice actor, not because of my race or identity or orientation, but because I kicked ass in the audition. I want that more than me being hired because they needed an asian.

Crossing Eden

You know Drake shutting the door against this lady can be considered controversial in this thread!

Of note, I do find the facial animation a bit in the uncanny territory, the lady's when she's speaking by the door. Of course I can't put my finger on it.
Due to the framing and lighting, (and I assume compression) the subtle movement of the eyes, one of the most important things to nail when it comes to avoiding uncanny valley, isn't as noticeable, which I assume is producing the uncanny valley effect for some.

Not at all. I'm not saying -insert race- shouldn't get represented because I don't. I'm saying this is a silly argument that will only hurt VA's more than help them.
How?

What does that mean? No ones calling ND racist. Just that they dropped the ball here getting a person of color to voice this character.

gamerMan

And what is the context? That because of the whitewashing that often goes on in Hollywood, despite ND having been inclusive in the past, they should not be allowed to follow their artistic vision in picking who they feel is best for different roles, unless that actors colour matches that of the game character they're representing? Is that the context?

I think the historical context can best be summed up by this wikipedia article.

The issue is not whether Laura Bailey is talented. She is. The issue isn't whether Laura Bailey can play a black woman. She can.

The issue is that minorities are underrepresented in the industry. In the slim chance that you get a minority character in a video game cast them as a minority since we don't have many minority voice actors or minority video game characters.

If you are going to cast a white woman to play a lead black role, then cast a minority to play a lead white character. Sam's brother could easily have been played by Terrence Carson. This way you are inclusive of everyone and representing the diversity in your audience. That's all people are trying to say.

Nobody is saying that this is deliberate or that Naughty Dog doesn't create well rounded characters. They do. They create the best characters in the industry. It's not like any of their characters are written as awfully as Quiet.

I am pretty sure that people who take issue with this agree with this quote:
Law professor John Tehranian said, "Of course, there is nothing inherently wrong with race-blind casting, as long as it works both ways. But in reality, it never has; one rarely sees, for example, an African American, Latino, or Asian actor cast as a white character.

Rozart

What does that mean? No ones calling ND racist. Just that they dropped the ball here getting a person of color to voice this character.

Huh. I'm not accusing anyone of doing that either.

Dropping the ball is one thing. Turning this into some affront to a greater social issue is another.

Akara

Banned
Mark Ruffalo and Eddie Raymand are both straight cisgender men who played roles in films such as Normal Heart and The Danish Girl incredibly well and I respect that. Do the job right, represent my people accurately and I don't care. The LGBTQ community respect them tremendously for that. Do a bad job and you get the film Stonewall kids.

Frog-fu

Banned

Edit: "Makes me uncomfortable". Really? That's what you think is going here.

Asians aren't exactly under represented in gaming though, are they?

Yeah, I do think that's what's going on here. Discussing race doesn't just make the racists uncomfortable.

Your reply doesn't isn't much of an answer. Their past practices doesn't inform anything other than what you want to see. They got it right in the past. They didn't now. They should be criticised for it.

Ok, first of all, insinuating that ND is my favorite developer and that that's the reason i'm defending them here is absolutely ridiculous. Secondly, yes diversity matters on and of the screen, but in this industry, like the animation industry, an actor's performance is much more important than their race. It's different from Hollywood where they actively snub minority roles due to subtle and not so subtle racism. They're committing by making a minority character in the first place. And yes, ND goes through a long casting process due to the sheer amount of roles in their games compared to similar games and due to how important acting is in their games. It's even more baffling that this issue is being brought up specifically here because it is not the first time at all that Laura has been cast as someone who doesn't share the same ethnicity as her. I mean ffs, she's played a ton of asian roles.

You give the gaming industry far too much credit, and I don't know why because it hasn't done anything to earn it. Do you think the way games are marketed is somehow inherently different from Hollywood? They're not. They're fundamentally the same and create, alllow and favour the same racial biases.

I'm not that familiar with Laura Bailey's work so I can't comment. Regardless, it's not relevant to the point I am making regarding black characters and black actors specifically.

I'm asking: If it's disappointing for Clementine or Nadine to be voice by a white woman, why is Terrence allowed to be a Greek without any hint of controversy? Why weren't more people disappointed by that inauthenticity?

If it's something you feel so strongly about, advocate for the change you want to see. You achieve nothing with blatant whataboutery that bears absolutely no relevance to any of the points I'm making.

Because equitable representation isn't about hiring because you need to meet a certain quota of having this much of this race, and this much of this race. Because Equal representation is being able to audition for a part without bias and as objective as possible. I want to be represented as an individual who is just as good as the next talented voice actor, not because of my race or identity or orientation, but because I kicked ass in the audition. I want that more than me being hired because they needed an asian.

You are under the mistaken belief equitable representation and equal opportunity are the same thing. They're not.

Black people have a hard time as it is getting work in the industry when there's so few roles for them. Diversity and progressivism is not served by having them compete with white actors for the same black character roles. How are you not getting this?

-

Right, I'm off to bed. It's been real, GAF. Real disappointing.

If it's something you feel so strongly about, advocate for the change you want to see. You achieve nothing with blatant whataboutery that bears absolutely no relevance to any of the points I'm making.
I think it's a perfectly valid inquiry of hypocrisy, or "whataboutery" as you label it, to question why it's disappointing that Laura is a white woman playing a black woman, but why no one would care about a man of African descent playing a man of Greek descent. Is it that minorities are allowed to have "white" roles but white actors can't have minority roles? Or is there some more elaborate method to figure out when an actor is legitimate in their portrayal of a character?

Would I be allowed to be upset that Kratos isn't portrayed by a Greek? It's alright to advocate that a talented black actor shouldn't be playing a Greek, thus further depriving people of color of acting positions and further de-diversifying the industry? That would be a positive action for the voice acting industry?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's a perfectly valid inquiry of hypocrisy, or "whataboutery" as you label it, to question why it's disappointing that Laura is a white woman playing a black woman, but why no one would care about a man of African descent playing a man of Greek descent. Is it that minorities are allowed to have "white" roles but white actors can't have minority roles? Or is there some more elaborate method to figure out when an actor is legitimate in their portrayal of a character?

Would I be allowed to be upset that Kratos isn't portrayed by a Greek? It's alright to advocate that a talented black actor shouldn't be playing a Greek, thus further depriving people of color of acting positions and further de-diversifying the industry? That would be a positive action for the voice acting industry?

You've been in this thread all day, and it seems like your position hasn't changed much, and that's fine. But if you want to go into future conversations with an understanding of where the people you're quoting are coming from, here's a link to a tangentially related article (it's about sexism and rape, not racism, but there is some overlap) that might help you understand. You might not agree, but hopefully you won't be surprised in the future when people are either aggressive or otherwise dismissive when you bring up the 'but it's equal, so the reverse must be true too, hypocrite!' argument. (I'm not articulate enough to describe it myself.)

Crossing Eden

Yeah, I do think that's what's going on here. Discussing race doesn't just make the racists uncomfortable.

Your reply doesn't isn't much of an answer. Their past practices doesn't inform anything other than what you want to see. They got it right in the past. They didn't now. They should be criticised for it.

You give the gaming industry far too much credit, and I don't know why because it hasn't done anything to earn it. Do you think the way games are marketed is somehow inherently different from Hollywood? They're not. They're fundamentally the same and create, alllow and favour the same racial biases.

I'm not that familiar with Laura Bailey's work so I can't comment. Regardless, it's not relevant to the point I am making regarding black characters and black actors specifically.
I feel that you're giving ND too little credit. And you most definitely shouldn't be making the argument while being uninformed about the actress's other work or the industry at large. Yes, asians are very under-represented in gaming, (especially more accurate portrayals or dubbing). Games are marketed quite different from Hollywood due to the nature of the medium, most advertising includes gameplay for instance. In this case it's closer to the animation industry, not just hollywood, where performance takes major priority, not bias.

Except there's been long debate about Kratos and his race.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/1223873

David Jaffe years ago even added flame to the fire by saying this. And there IS historical evidence of blacks in the Greece armies so Kratos being black/mulatto isn't out of the question.

Rozart

Your reply doesn't isn't much of a reply. Their past practices doesn't inform anything other than what you want to see. They got it right in the past. They didn't now. They should be criticised for it.

1) They are actually.
2) Japanese/Chinese people aren't the only 'type' of 'Asians' out there.

Please stop with the random assumptions. They're unneeded. I've engaged in my fair share of discussions/debates regarding racial politics in my own country. Just because I think that this issue at hand is overblown doesn't mean that I'm "uncomfortable".

Question: Should Bioware (a developer that out of everyone else is the most open to LBGT relationships) be criticized for letting a straight man play a homosexual/bisexual character? You're looking at things in a bubble and discounting everything that came before. Why?

These are the developers that are pushing for more change and diversity in a medium that for the longest time has just been regurgitating the status quo. When you discount what they have done in the past, you're looking at the situation without its proper context.

Right, I'm off to bed. It's been real, GAF. Real disappointing.

:(

First off, I just want to say that the push for greater representation is a wonderful thing. The fact that we're here right now discussing the need for it is great. The fact that we've moved on from just arguing for a more racially diverse cast to arguing for a racially diverse group of VAs is equally awesome too.

But turning this (a casting decision made by a developer that has time and time again propagated the values and actions that you want more developers to take) into a controversial topic about racial discrimination just feels forced to me.

Crossing Eden

That article doesn't even acknowledge any of the scenes from GOW:Ascension which clearly show that he's not black. It also veers into some really weird territory where the author completely misinterprets the dev's intentions and is very obviously projecting when they described the thought process behind Kratos because he has convinced himself that Kratos is black despite evidence of the contrary that he isn't willing to acknowledge because there's only one scene where Kratos has a different complexion than other greeks and for very specific reason, to emphasize his ashes. The author also makes the accusation that anyone who doesn't agree with his nonsense is just another person "not wanting Kratos to be black."

This is what Kratos looks like as a human.
GUN4ZAH.gif

No his complexion is not mysteriously darker than every other greek's skin tone. It's the same skin tone.

So yes again, he's played by a black actor but not Black himself.

What a terrible article.

:(

First off, I just want to say that the push for greater representation is a wonderful thing. The fact that we're here right now discussing the need for it is great. The fact that we've moved on from just arguing for a more racially diverse cast to arguing for a racially diverse group of VAs is equally awesome too.

But turning this (a casting decision made by a developer that has time and time again propagated the values and actions that you want more developers to take) into a controversial topic about racial discrimination just feels forced to me.
The problem with this is some of us have come in and say it's a disappointing decision, only to have people just at us "PC blah racism card etc." and then we have to explain our stance, which seems to mostly stem from the racial constraints non white actors have in media. It's impossible to say you're disappointed in something without some posters taking that the completely wrong way.

Newline

Wow this thread..

On topic: the voice syncing or something was really off in that video, pushed the characters into pure uncannyville.

Nev

Banned
I can't believe this is still going on in this thread. I came in after leaving yesterday hoping there would be discussion or new information abbout this character and I keep reading things like "shame Naughty Dog is white-washing her". Naughty Dog, the ones making a female kid gay protagonist have a black female kid partner in their AAA, multi-million selling game.

These people are being racist and white-washing because the VA actress they chose for a character with dark skin has lighter skin tone than her despite the fact that she seems to be doing a great job at her work and that might be the actual reason why she was hired, and not because Druckmann has a secret racist agenda.

Some responses are embarrassing. Either change the thread title or stop derailing it (though at this point I guess derailing would be talking about the trailer and the character or even the game).

Outrage because of the color of a voice actor gotta be a joke. Some should think whether they wanna debate about the existence of a "black sounding voice" and a "white sounding voice".

I can't believe this is still going on in this thread. I came in after leaving yesterday hoping there would be discussion or new information abbout this character and I keep reading things like "shame Naughty Dog is white-washing her". Naughty Dog, the ones making a female kid gay protagonist have a black female kid partner in their AAA, multi-million selling game.

These people are being racist and white-washing because the VA actress they chose for a character with dark skin has lighter skin tone than her despite the fact that she seems to be doing a great job at her work and that might be the actual reason why she was hired, and not because Druckmann has a secret racist agenda.

Some responses are embarrassing. Either change the thread title or stop derailing it (though at this point I guess derailing would be talking about the trailer and the character or even the game).
No one said that but ok. I've seen three mods in this thread and they haven't said anything against this so I don't think I'm derailing anything.

I hope nobody at ND has wasted a second thinking about any of this.
The world would be better if we all did.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so, for someone who's a little behind, "omg outrage culture" is this year's "haters gonna hate lol", right?

Outrage because of the color of a voice actor gotta be a joke. Some should think whether they wanna debate about the existence of a "black sounding voice" and a "white sounding voice".
Interesting comment but I don't think that's what's being discussed in this thread. You can read the thread to get caught up.

Careful when you include the world. People start losing their minority status when you do that.
I think I have some idea what you mean but I'm still confused.

This is such a non issue. Laura Bailey is a hugely talented actor and her voice (to me) fits that character perfectly. I couldn't care less what ethnic background the actors have as long as their voice fits the role, that's the important bit.

Literally no one has said ND are racist.

Kar

The is-this-offensive culture has destroyed yet another thread.
This time, its about a white woman voicing a black character in a game.
It almost seems like some people are manipulating the conversations on purpose so the thread keeps talking about this.

It almost seems like some people are manipulating the conversations on purpose so the thread keeps talking about this.
You realise the only people "outraged" are the ones replying to people who are disappointed in NHS decision?

Not really it just naturally happen that way.

Top Bottom