• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

Why is Nathan Drake considered a "thief" when he is a treasure hunter

i mean "among thieves" "a thief's end" etc.

something i was just thinking about little bit ago

are real life treasure hunters considered "thieves"? is this like a sort of inside joke among treasure hunters in real life in that community

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

are real life treasure hunters considered "thieves"? is this like a sort of inside joke among treasure hunters in real life in that community

Maybe it is referring to the people he is surrounded by (the mercenaries, etc), and not him or his crew?

And yes there are laws that others have pointed out, now the question of laws being morally just, that is another debate. So legally he may be considered a thief, morally/ethically is debatable (artifact meaning).

Kinyou

In Uncharted 2 he definitely stepped into thief territory by going through with the museum heist, and it was implied that it wasn't the first time he did something like that.

And I suppose you could also argue that grave robbing is somewhat similar to theft. I think even if the person who owned it originally is dead, the treasure would technically belong to the country where the treasure is located.

Frog-fu

Banned
She looks the part. Which is completely irrelevant so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's relevant to promoting diversity behind the screen in an industry that is overall severely lacking in representing black people.

But you would have known that if you gave it some thought.

besada

Banned

Because "treasure hunting" actually involves stealing antiquities in violation of the law from other countries, usually.

Indiana Jones was a thief. A dirty rotten scoungrel as well. Just like Nate. I can't just waltz up into some ancient ruins and blow the place up just to take an artifact or 20 just to get my rocks off.

In Uncharted 2 he definitely stepped into thief territory by going through with the museum heist, and it was implied that it wasn't the first time he did something like that.

And I suppose you could also argue that grave robbing is somewhat similar to theft. I think even if the person who owned it originally is dead, the treasure would technically belong to the country where the treasure is located.
Tangential question, but do countries have laws regarding this? At what point would buried goods become the country's property? After a certain time? If no descendent are known of?

Zornack

It's relevant to promoting diversity behind the screen in an industry that is overall severely lacking in representing black people.

But you would have known that if you gave it some thought.

Looking over Mbatha-Raw's career it appears that she has never done any actual voice acting so no, that poster's suggestion seems to have been purely based off of "well she looks similar they should have gotten her."

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
These character models are god damned ridiculous. Jesus christ.

Are they really close to completion? Really worried about a delay on this one.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Looking over Mbatha-Raw's career it appears that she has never done any actual voice acting so no, that poster's suggestion seems to have been purely based off of "well she looks similar they should have gotten her."
Ok, can people stop saying this? Every actor who's involved in film has done "voice acting" before. And in this case it isn't voice acting, it's acting. These actors are on a set providing a performance.

Your point that he only noted her because she bears a resemblance to the character still stands tho.

They already had a delay, they've most likely finished production and are constantly polishing at this point.

There really isn't anything indicating another delay at the moement. But if it needs it then i'm sure Sony will give ND additional time. U4 is obviously very important, and they've built up a bigger player base for the game by including TLoU and the Uncharted Collection in their big PS4 bundles, so they aren't going to want to blow that by pushing the game out before it's ready.

besada

Banned
Tangential question, but do countries have laws regarding this? At what point would buried goods become the country's property? After a certain time? If no descendent are known of?
http://archive.archaeology.org/online/features/schultz/intllaw.html

Different countries have different laws, but generally speaking it is illegal to remove antiquities from countries without the oversight of the country in question. It's fairly common that small, multiply replicated items are allowed, but virtually no country is going to legally let you stroll out with a one of a kind artifact.

Praha

Neo Member
in a film, would you be okay with a white person acting as an asian person? Or a white person acting as a black person in a film (not counting the obvious satirical use of blackface in something like tropic thunder of course)? There's a long and dark history regarding white people playing people of color and this is uncomfortably close to playing into that.

If a black actor can play characters that are white in the source material, why can't it go the other way?

I have a *small* issue with white-washing characters of historical characters that are non-white, but most of the time it's actors portraying characters that are a completely different race in the source material.

Clarke Duncan in Daredevil
Denzel Washington in The Manchurian Candidate
Lucy Liu in Charlie’s Angels
Morgan Freeman as Red in Shawshank Redemption
Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury
Dwayne Johnson as Hercules

Sorry if this is too off-topic, but I thought it it is very relevant to the discussion of opportunities for the majorities and minorities in pop culture like movies and videogames, and also the perception that Hollywood can give of minorities as the "authorities" on that movie pop culture.

If is more related to Hollywood of course since it is Burt Reynolds, who is half native-American (Cherokee).

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35027190

Great video IMO.

I'm not trying to say everything, including Nadine Ross/Uncharted 4, boils down to anything super simple.

Just a video to gain some perspective from a minority within Hollywood and how he felt about the treatment of African and Native Americans in Hollywood culture.

Maybe in point of fact it represents nothing but my own ignorance, but to some extent I feel it speaks volumes that I didn't even know Burt Reynolds was part Cherokee.

Top Bottom