• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Story Trailer

strafer

cant believe naughty dog would steal an image like that. their standards should be higher

whats the worst that could happen as a result?

the worst thing would be that they cancel game entirely and start making Crash Bandicoot 4.

Wait, that's not the worst, that's actually pretty good.

Maybe people are learning very slowly to not jump to conclusions (some of us that is) They could well have asked for permission to use the art.
I doubt it, because this was pointed out by a Ubi Soft (AC) guy ...

That means nothing.

Even the guys that actively worked on AC Black Flag wouldn't know what Ubisoft's legal/producing team gave Naughty Dog permission for.

They'll probably change it regardless, now that people have this association with it.

JpU3TnK.gif
I always said Nate chose wrong.

5amshift

Banned
but also at the same time find a little sad is people spotting this one piece of art so quickly that is from some ACIV art book..

Oh my god this. :)
But I hope it's nothing, since yes it's just a picture and could've been easily replaced with their own concept art. Other end it could be an easter egg with given permission.

cant believe naughty dog would steal an image like that. their standards should be higher

They edit out that scene to have a different picture on the wall before it goes gold? Or has it gone gold already?

Day one patch? Lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

If not licensed its an automatic win for the artist in court. Ultimately they'll be forced to replace the assert, but the real damage would be their integrity.

Domaje

Chromatic aberration. Its a defect caused by shitty camera lenses on pictures taht for some reason game developers are copying. This is an example I always give. Life Is Strange. You cannot turn it off in game settings, but you can force it off with a config file, and the game just looks so much better

One of the more extreme examples, the other would be bloodborne. A lot of games try to use a little CA because it gives an illusion of anti aliasing, but in reality is just blurs and distorts the image and looks like shit
The image with CA looks better to me. At least the effect hides lots of the flaws of the graphics.

Kolx

Ubi isn't going to the court and start a problem with Sony over an art in a trailer that is going to be replaced in the final game. Still, someone is getting fired.

Come on!. Several UBI devs have started working for ND. It could even be the image creator one of them. It could perfectly be a tribute.

jeffram

How hilariously foolish. This is straight up STEALING somebody else's work if its not licensed. But hey they make amazing games so who gives a shit right?
I'd bet on this being the result of a outsourced art team in charge of creating that room using the picture and passing it off to ND as their work. There's a lot of outsourcing for environment art like this in modern development.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Mine was more of a response to your initial post of "you people."

Apologies if I misunderstood.

Yeah the 2 I quoted. Its ridiculous to just glaze over this when its clear they made some very minor changes and tossed it on their as if they couldn't be bothered to Mae their own.

Once again hopefully its licensed although I don't see why you would pay for the asset when you could easily put your own.

Either Naughty Dog did it on purpose to make us realise in which location this happens and to make an easter egg for AC4 and Ubisoft
( and a good hint to show Ubisoft how they can do better looking game in that same location with better looking waters and environments on PS4 and in 1080p
) or expect this frame to get a ligthing stealth change without even you noticing in the final game.

If not licensed its an automatic win for the artist in court. Ultimately they'll be forced to replace the assert, but the real damage would be their integrity.

Or, since the game isn't released or finalized, they just change the asset now while its still in development. This is why its such a non-issue. If an artist slipped up & googled 'island concept art', pulled it without looking where it came from and put it in there, and now its turning out that piece is from a highly licensed product, its no sweat off their backs to just change the asset to some other generic island concept art.

You're making this a far more significant issue than it actually is. If the game was out right now, and available for commercial sale, and this asset was in there, then yes, this would be an issue. But its not, its a product that is still in active development, and is still subject to change. Heck, the asset could very well be placeholder, and that was the art piece they put in to cover up what that actual painting may be in the game, either because A) its a spoiler or B)the concept art render for that particular painting isn't yet finished but they wanted to get the trailer out.

Yeah the 2 I quoted. Its ridiculous to just glaze over this when its clear they made some very minor changes and tossed it on their as if they couldn't be bothered to Mae their own.

Once again hopefully its licensed although I don't see why you would pay for the asset when you could easily put your own.

I would imagine it was placeholder art that was used as just quick storyboard material and then they had a scene where they needed some pieces and the artist forgot where he used the material from.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Again what is wrong with the people defending this? Don't bring up past garbage. Ubisofts statement was stupid... ND I'd stupid to steal and that's the topic at hand. Stop trying to defer.

Jigolo

Again what is wrong with the people defending this? Don't bring up past garbage. Ubisofts statement was stupid... ND I'd stupid to steal and that's the topic at hand. Stop trying to defer.

It's wrong and I'm sure the image will change with the final release but you're going to holds barred like it's your work. Settle the fuck down.

MrHoot

Or, since the game isn't released or finalized, they just change the asset now while its still in development. This is why its such a non-issue. If an artist slipped up & googled 'island concept art', pulled it without looking where it came from and put it in there, and now its turning out that piece is from a highly licensed product, its no sweat off their backs to just change the asset to some other generic island concept art.

You're making this a far more significant issue than it actually is. If the game was out right now, and available for commercial sale, and this asset was in there, then yes, this would be an issue. But its not, its a product that is still in active development, and is still subject to change.

You know it would be the job of any basic artist to not fuck up in the first place by straight up stealing art, especially from another concurrent company in the same field. ESPECIALLY when it comes to making a commercial trailer close to the release of the game.

It's poor show

brau

I just cancelled my preorder. What kind of bullshit is that? stealing art? the rest of the game was probably made by buying assets from Turbosquid at this point. You really can't trust thiefs.

eznDus7.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I own Rise of the Tomb Raider and have pre-ordered QB. They both look fantastic and I don't plan to take anything away from them, despite my view of Uncharted 4's elements being superior.
Which ones specifically if you don't mind me asking? Besides the ones I named.

All those "nuances" happen individually, one after the other, as if the game's imploring for you to look at them. Lara looks like a robot as a result.
Those nuances are also directly from the actress. That scene isn't the only one in the game but i'd rather not flood the thread with TR gifs, :p

Top Bottom