• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.

maneil99

Reposting what I aid from the other thread:

I'm ignorant when it comes to computer specs and hardware, but is it more important to have greater amounts of ram than it is important to have a more powerful graphics card? I am trying to understand how a mediocre graphics card can be sufficient if the amount of ram on a console is increased considerably.

This shit confuses me.

And holy shit if that's real time as according to Interference.

VRAM is most important for textures, it's hard to judge the PS4's GPU as it may have tech that can be utilized for better performance then one would think it should at face value.

Nafai1123

Banned
If the game ends up looking like this and running at 60fps......

I won't even be surprised, because Naughty Gods are capable of superhuman feats of game development.

I speak for myself (and maybe others) here when I say this is the most shocking moment I've had with a video game since Mario 64, the first time I played a 3D game.

reKon

Banned
I bet this game gets 10/10's The Last of Us style if it actually has platforming, a better story than Uncharted 2, improved melee over Uncharted 3, MP that's a mix of the best of UC2 and UC3, and gun play similar to Uncharted 2 with more weaponry.

Get on it ND!

prag16

Banned
GPGPU and funny changes to the cache and side buses in the APU. Not so crazy when you remember this was also running in real time:

darksorcerer-02.jpg

Cerny did say to lookout for year 2-3 when they really dug into the APU optimizations he requested. Not bad for some garbage PC parts thrown in a console case, eh?

Speaking of this, where was Quantic Dream at E3? Still too soon after BeyondTS to show anything? It'll be between them and Naughty Dog to see who pushes the PS4 the hardest in terms of photorealism I reckon.

Like I said in the other thread:
Nope. Don't believe it. My mind can't even comprehend playing something that looks like that. If it looks like that while playing I will shit in my hands and rub it on my scalp.

They've indicated that they're trying to make the transitions seamless and to get the difference between gameplay and cutscenes negligible. I haven't seen anything saying that they were flat out done with pre-rendered stuff.

Well, it depends on the validity of the Beyond3D source.

Beginning with Uncharted 4, all Naughty Dog games will feature completely in engine, real time, 3D cutscenes (if they even stay cutscenes anymore), a huge performance departure from what they used to ship.

The Eurogamer analysis does back it up. I'd like to see some uncompressed 1080p/60fps video, but I'm not prepared to doubt Corrine Yu's word.

The true test is seeing Sully's mustache in-engine in realtime.
"Each hair on his upper lip has been individually programmed to move dynamically, according to both Sully's movement and the effects of the world around him. If you swipe up on the track pad, all the hairs will move upward-"

*crowd goes apeshit*

Day one.

I bet this game gets 10/10's The Last of Us style if it actually has platforming, a better story than Uncharted 2, improved melee over Uncharted 3, MP that's a mix of the best of UC2 and UC3, and gun play similar to Uncharted 2 with more weaponry.

Get on it ND!

Uncharted's strengths aren't necessarily in its mechanics. It's in the pacing of it all. U2 doesn't have the best mechanics but it's paced so damn brilliantly. Uncharted 3 had better mechanics but was paced far worse and made it seem like a worse game to me

viveks86

Source 5 doesn't mean shit. We already know it's in-engine. The question was whether it was pre-rendered or real time.

I'm just consolidating everything I can get my hands on. Source 5 is NDs official public statement on the matter, so was worth putting it there.

Cels

One thing to note is that iirc, ND have always used the SAME model for cinematics and real time gameplay for all their games last gen. The lighting and aliasing were the two prime aspects that were improved for the cutscenes.

?
"More detailed high-resolution character models will be the standard throughout The Last of Us Remastered, with developers using renders previously used only in cutscenes for the game's PlayStation 3 version, creative director Neil Druckmann told Edge."

"For the PS3 original, these detailed renders were used only in cutscenes, then swapped out for lower-resolution versions when transitioning back into gameplay — a trick designed to make the game's more cinematic, dramatic moments look better."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/9/569...4-cutscene-character-models-higher-resolution

Carn82

I'm ignorant when it comes to computer specs and hardware, but is it more important to have greater amounts of ram than it is important to have a more powerful graphics card? I am trying to understand how a mediocre graphics card can be sufficient if the amount of ram on a console is increased considerably.

This shit confuses me.

Well, the greater amounts of ram give the developers a bigger 'workplace' where they can store all the necessary materials they need. with little ram they would have to go outside and fetch parts they need and return them after they're done, which costs time and energy. Whith more ram they can use that time and energy to do cool stuff, with their fancy, not highend, but efficient modern GPU tools :)

SugarDave

I honestly thought that was a live actor at parts when I saw it during the press conference. Simply stunning.

Still not completely sold on either console yet and I've decided to go full PC for now but if that's a taste of what's to come then colour me interested.

Please never compare a Ubisoft game to Naughty Dog ever again. Naughty Dog has always delivered, while Ubisoft always lies and bullshots their way into the hype train.

That's not entirely true. I remember Uncharted 3 debuted with 60fps footage. But then Sony went on their 3D rampage and we all know how that turned out.

HariKari

Man, that's insane. Naughty Dog and Connie Yu are geniuses.

Cerny worked with AMD on certain APU optimizations that he really wanted. It was buried somewhere in his technical presentation on how the PS4 came to be. I don't believe MS did the same. First wave of games didn't/won't take advantage of these PS4 specific features, but Uncharted 4 hints at what the console can really do.

i-Lo

?
"More detailed high-resolution character models will be the standard throughout The Last of Us Remastered, with developers using renders previously used only in cutscenes for the game's PlayStation 3 version, creative director Neil Druckmann told Edge."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/9/569...4-cutscene-character-models-higher-resolution

Thanks for the rectification. I remember there being big topic of conversation with the Uncharted series. In terms of polycount, I still believe it to be the same models, however.

maneil99

Speaking of this, where was Quantic Dream at E3? Still too soon after BeyondTS to show anything? It'll be between them and Naughty Dog to see who pushes the PS4 the hardest in terms of photorealism I reckon.

Don't forget Sony Santa Monica. I think we will see QD at GamesCom

TyrantII

This shit confuses me.

Basic family/tech of the GPU is along the lines of what you've probably read.

Thing is Sony had them add some changes to the GPU specifically to leverage over it's lifetime. Changes that really only work with a fixed console where they can code specifically to that one GPU and the special changes they made to it. ND is probably writing code in assembly language and binary right down to the metal if their past comments on development continue forward. You get rid of a lot of overhead than using a higher level API thats easier to code to.

So, if you put in the (hard) work, you'll get a lot more out than the other PC GPU's within it's "family" line.

That's the simple explanation. Also why the PC articles telling people how to build a next gen console NOW were kinda missing the forest for the trees.

lmbotiva

i don't really understand why is people surprised at this, it is ND we are talking about here, if you go back and play uncharted 3 is still looks absolutely sublime and that's running on an antique hardware so this level of quality is expected from them at this point

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
That's not entirely true. I remember Uncharted 3 debuted with 60fps footage. But then Sony went on their 3D rampage and we all know how that turned out.

No, I think either GT or somewhere else re-rendered an uncharted 3 demo to be 60 fps. Pretty sure Uncharted 3 was always 30 fps.

OP has the gamersyde video that you can stream or download. Recommend using the torrent.

oh shit didn't realize it was uncompressed footage. downloading now.

What have other devs been doing? Are Naughty Dog really this far ahead of everyone else?

I think they are technical masters yes, but bear in mind this is a current-gen only game. We've seen so much cross-gen stuff that it really does look like it's on another level. And unless they're making a huge departure in gameplay and pacing, it's going to be relatively linear compared to the deluge of open world games we're seeing this gen.

velociraptor

What have other devs been doing? Are Naughty Dog really this far ahead of everyone else?
Only the first parties will bring their A game. But we've already seen how talented Naughty Dog are. They've consistently produced the best looking games on their respective consoles.

Crash, Jak, Uncharted, The Last Of Us.

Cerny worked with AMD on certain APU optimizations that he really wanted. It was buried somewhere in his technical presentation on how the PS4 came to be. I don't believe MS did the same. First wave of games didn't/won't take advantage of these PS4 specific features, but Uncharted 4 hints at what the console can really do.
Underpowered consoles redeemed.

Shin

Banned
Maybe this has something to with the updated SDK Cort was talking about?
Since ICE Team is housed within ND itself, not sure about either way it's rather crazy to start off a new generation like this and loving every second of it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom