• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!

Carl

Holy shit, I just came across an in-game blooper / easter egg in my Crushing playthrough while trying to mop up every collectible. I'm not sure if it's the Crushing run that did it, but VERY late in the game, on Chapter
31 when you find the Golden Throne and the body on it, the body jumps up and scares Marisa's actress while everyone else has a laugh. Poor Marisa!
The best part is that it was rendered in-game so I didn't see it coming at all. Awesome, and hilarious!

Edit: Went ahead and recorded + uploaded it to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG6kcKNjFbw
Spoilers, obviously.

Welp, that scared the shit out of me on TSA.

Raonak

Banned
I had a mixed experienced with the waggle

good:
-climbing vines with back touch
-charcoal
-gyro aim /soooogoood.gif
-touch climbing/painting your path
-photos

bad:
-bamboo cutting/swiping melee
-walking over log stuff.

Horrible:
The QTE fight sequences with dante and the general. I actually liked that they didn't go for some stupid U2 like boss battle.
But. the way they implemented it was stupid. and insanely frustrating.

It should've been if you miss a certain amout of inputs in a row, then you get killed.
Uncharted 3 did it really nicely imo.

DBT85

Just a quick question that may have already been covered (sorry).

If someone were to buy Uncharted on a cart and then buy the Digital version will the save work in the Digital version? I know that Uncharted saves to the memory card but don't know if it's tied to the cart.

Massa

Just a quick question that may have already been covered (sorry).

If someone were to buy Uncharted on a cart and then buy the Digital version will the save work in the Digital version? I know that Uncharted saves to the memory card but don't know if it's tied to the cart.

Don't know about Uncharted but that works for Hot Shots Golf and Lumines. Pretty sure it should work for all Vita games.

It is possible to go back and get missed items from previous chapters. Just finished chapter 1 and already missed stuff according to the journal.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It is possible to go back and get missed items from previous chapters. Just finished chapter 1 and already missed stuff according to the journal.
Yes. You can either do it in another playthrough or through chapter select. Everything carries over.

TripOpt55

So I finished this. Think overall it was a great game and something fans will like a lot. Here are some thoughts:

-I think this game handles exploration better than the console games. It feels less linear. There are a lot of alternate paths that lead to treasures and stuff that like.

-I also like how there are different types of collectibles. Treasures, rubbings, photos. I think it adds to the game myself.

-Aiming was hard to get used to at first. The prologue does seem to throw you in the deep end and not being accustomed to the sticks meant I was all over the place at first. Once I messed with the settings a bit and got some practice, I was fine. Doesn't feel quite as good as with a dualshock, but I think it feels great overall.

-I loved how much shooting there was while climbing. It felt like there was more than in the other games (maybe 3 had as much with the vertical shooting, but not sure). Lots of different weapons from 1 and 2 and at least one new one I think. And some decent variety in the combat setups. Lots of opportunities for stealth too even if the enemies could be a bit dumb/blind when I was snapping guys close by's necks.

-The swipe melee kind of stunk. It just wasn't ideal to have to switch to touch particularly when other enemies were shooting at you. It made it feel like fistfights took longer and it made it a bit more of a hassle to get back to shooting once you finished. Probably should have been optional.

-The balancing while crossing logs/planks was just kind of pointless. If you had to do it as you crossed, that'd be one thing. But you get stopped randomly in the middle to balance yourself. Felt like the most forced in of the new controls.

-The other touch controls I was okay with. Liked grenades and charcoal rubbings even if the latter never really changed.

-The plot wasn't that great, but that isn't where Uncharted games usually shine. It is more the presentation and the characters and their dialog. I enjoyed this aspect. I liked Marissa even if not nearly as much as Elena. The new villians were kind of meh.

-I was impressed with the visuals. Not as good as the consoles games, but not much worse where I thought it wasn't worthy of the series or anything. I think they do a lot with the basic jungle environment too. It is a jungle, but they have a lot of different environments within that basic area like tombs and caves and so on.

-Music and voice-acting was good too.

That is about it. Really loved the game. Only real thing I could see holding someone back from liking this other than some of the new controls is maybe that there aren't many setpieces like in 2 and 3. So if that is really important to you in this series, you might not dig this one as much. I didn't mind this kind of game though after playing 2 and 3. This almost feels like if they had went in a different direction with the sequel to Drake's Fortune.

Sendou

Yes and you can quit to the main screen when you have gotten the missed treasures. It will still count!

george_us

On Chapter 9 and I think this is the second best Uncharted game behind Uncharted 2. I wish the particle effects and framerate were better though along with the lack of jaggies. Sweet jesus I hope AA becomes a standard on Vita games.

Carl

On Chapter 9 and I think this is the second best Uncharted game behind Uncharted 2. I wish the particle effects and framerate were better though along with the lack of jaggies. Sweet jesus I hope AA becomes a standard on Vita games.

I was so engrossed in it i don't think i even noticed any aliasing!

finished this today. i loved everything about it except the sixaxis-style control parts. i liked the last couple of fights though i thought they were too easy. satisfying game. i think ill get my moneys worth

SharkJAW

Finished it the other day, and I'm about to finish it again on my second playthrough, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I know I'm echoing this thought, but the aiming seemed kind of janky at first, but I've become more accustomed to the sticks. I also used gyro aiming, and, while good, I was still able to squeeze of headshots pretty easily just using the sticks. The graphics were amazing for a handheld, but I'd love to see games of this quality either in native res or with more AA. One thing I would absolutely kill for is some good ol' MP, even if it was just co-op.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished it. Like I mentioned before, this really blew me away. When Sony announced that they were doing an Uncharted game (and for launch) for the Vita, I immediately thought that it would be a B- effort with the only purpose of having Sony's most popular franchise (right now) on the lineup. However, it turned out to be a fantastic game.

I gotta replay Among Thieves and finally start Drake's Deception, but I found this to be an extremely compelling experience (maybe even my favorite). I liked pretty much everything, from the gorgeous visuals/art design, fantastic music and the gameplay is the best in the series. Some stuff that could be improved is the use of touch screen for puzzles instead of repetitive stuff like charcoal rubbings. I'd also love to see a multiplayer / co-op mode like in the console games, because the shooting here feels really good.

Overall I loved it, and I'll definitely be playing it again on a harder difficulty.

Vita purchase validated.

Darko

I had a mixed experienced with the waggle

good:
-climbing vines with back touch
-charcoal
-gyro aim /soooogoood.gif
-touch climbing/painting your path
-photos

bad:
-bamboo cutting/swiping melee
-walking over log stuff.

Horrible:
The QTE fight sequences with dante and the general. I actually liked that they didn't go for some stupid U2 like boss battle.
But. the way they implemented it was stupid. and insanely frustrating.

It should've been if you miss a certain amout of inputs in a row, then you get killed.
Uncharted 3 did it really nicely imo.

I hate the charcoal too.. it would be nice if you had to do it a few tiiimes but they just repeat the same thing over and over... same with the ripped puzzles....

I kinda liked the part where you had to hold the back up to a light source to reveal the hidden message... but that could be awkward if your playing in a public place like the bus lol.

Sullichin

Overall, I'm really impressed with this game, I think the gunplay is really great. I use a combination of analog control + minor tilt aiming. It also looks amazing. Uncharted in my hands!

But I am getting very sick of all of the motion control/gyroscope/touch control stuff thrown in at every corner. Rubbing your screen to reveal a picture is not gameplay. It's just like.. you have to do THIS now in order to proceed. Now do it four more times. Oh, I found a map on this table, let's stop everything and have you put together a 20 piece puzzle of it. Hold this picture up to a light. Take a fucking picture of this truck - It has to be 100% accurate! So you can get some useless something or another or just to progress in the game. None of this is fun or engaging to me. Come on, let me just get back to the action. And every time you see a log or narrow walkway you know you're going to have to catch your balance halfway through. Can't really complain about the option to use touch for the platforming, but it doesn't feel like playing a game to me, so I don't use it. Also this is really pedantic, but the sound effect for finishing a puzzle/rubbing/picture is just awful.

I do like these mechanics though:

- Zooming in with the sniper with the back touch panel works great.
- So does tilt aiming, I use it for minor adjustments rather than aiming with it exclusively.
- I like the touch swipe stuff when they work as QTEs, like when you have to do it quickly in a melee battle. Just forcing me to swipe up to prop my partner up a ledge, though, feels pretty needless.
- Grenade aiming works well

Anyone else completely blown away by the
"Without a paddle" section? Funny dialogue, gorgeous visuals, some shooting to mix it up, and superb use of the back pad. Loved it!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anyone else completely blown away by the
"Without a paddle" section? Funny dialogue, gorgeous visuals, some shooting to mix it up, and superb use of the back pad. Loved it!

Just played that part, definitely the most impressive looking area yet. Dat river.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
yay

ItCZj.jpg

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
*shakes fist at Wario64's general direction*

Bounties made me give up on going for the platinum. Oh and Crushing.

UberTag

*shakes fist at Wario64's general direction*

Bounties made me give up on going for the platinum. Oh and Crushing.
The Crushing run was a lot easier than the Bounty grinding (once you get past that annoying Chapter 11 hump).
I literally went over an hour at times without getting a single drop.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How did you get all those damn collectibles?

I actually added a few trophy whores from ps3trophies to luck out on some near gifts, and farmed the rest using very easy + reload checkpoint

Just find a good checkpoint for each collectible that has a group of enemies that you can reload. Find a good podcast or watch TV while farming :p

VariantX04

UberTag said:
The Crushing run was a lot easier than the Bounty grinding (once you get past that annoying Chapter 11 hump).
I literally went over an hour at times without getting a single drop.

Ugh... don't remind me. Reason I didn't continue crushing was because I thought it would be like Uncharted 3 where if you finish it on any difficulty it would unlock Crushing. Played it once on Normal, then Hard, then felt completely like I was over the game. Maybe somewhere down the line i'll continue Crushing to continue my streak of Uncharted plats. Just maybe.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Really? Thought Dante played the scummy partner role pretty well and Chase is almost better then Chloe and Elena for me.

So far, I'd say he's effectively unlikable. His voice and his stupid face get on my nerves, but maybe that's the point. I'm indifferent towards Chase. If I had to describe her in one word...well, I couldn't, because I can't even think of one word to describe her. I don't hate her, but she's no Elena or Chloe, she's just there. Guerro is pretty boring too, but most, if not all of Uncharted's villains have been one dimensional baddies motivated only by a lust for power or greed. So overall, I'm not a fan of the new characters, but Drake is still cool and [Ch.20+ spoiler]
Sully gets some screentime

VariantX04

So far, I'd say he's effectively unlikable. His voice and his stupid face get on my nerves, but maybe that's the point. I'm indifferent towards Chase. If I had to describe her in one word...well, I couldn't, because I can't even think of one word to describe her. I don't hate her, but she's no Elena or Chloe, she's just there. Guerro is pretty boring too, but most, if not all of Uncharted's villains have been one dimensional baddies motivated by lust for power or greed.
Somewhat agree. Garvin nailed the character dynamic and the dialogue but Hennig's characters stick with you. Didn't care much for Chase or Dante.

Grisby

So far, I'd say he's effectively unlikable. His voice and his stupid face get on my nerves, but maybe that's the point. I'm indifferent toward Chase. If I had to describe her in one word...well, I couldn't, because I can't even think of one word to describe her. I don't hate her, but she's no Elena or Chloe, she's just there. Guerro is pretty boring too, but most, if not all of Uncharted's villains have been one dimensional.
Well, Chase might not be better but she's up there for me. I know far more about her then Chloe at least, and she plays better off of Drake at points. Chase almost seems like a female Drake in some cases, jumping before she thinks. I do really like Elena and Chloe though.

Yeah, I'll agree Guerro isn't too memorable.

Bebpo

Banned
The only good antagonist (as in, interesting character with some development) in Uncharted is the guy from Uncharted 3. Unfortunately he's in a mess of a story that's the least satisfying of the games. Dante gets ample development, but he's just a total boring character and his plot arc doesn't make a whole lot of sense by the end. Guerro is like the guy from U2, just a boring KILL THEM ALL baddy.

I was really impressed by the scene
with Dante and Nate, when he calls Drake worthless and Drake pulls his gun on him.
It was one of the few scenes in the whole series that developed Drake beyond just a charming treasure hunter.

The only good antagonist (as in, interesting character with some development) in Uncharted is the guy from Uncharted 3. Unfortunately he's in a mess of a story that's the least satisfying of the games.
Talbot has zero development. He was interesting for his mystery, but was never actually expanded on due to the game's rushed pace. He's also very inconsistant in his actions and personality. I agree that he was entertaining, and the best villain in the series though. It's just that when you look back on him he looks worst than when it's in the moment.

I'm actually writing a spotlight on him right now for my series "Devious Intent", where I hope to go in depth with why he's such a strange character.

Grisby

Beat it. I can just start a new game and everything carries over right? Don't have to go through specific missions or nothing?

VariantX04

Beat it. I can just start a new game and everything carries over right? Don't have to go through specific missions or nothing?

As long as you're using the same save file you should be fine, I think. You can always start the game through Chapter select just in case.

Defuser

I was really impressed by the scene
with Dante and Nate, when he calls Drake worthless and Drake pulls his gun on him.
It was one of the few scenes in the whole series that developed Drake beyond just a charming treasure hunter.

Talbot has zero development. He was interesting for his mystery, but was never actually expanded on due to the game's rushed pace. He's also very inconsistant in his actions and personality. I agree that he was entertaining, and the best villain in the series though. It's just that when you look back on him he looks worst than when it's in the moment.

I'm actually writing a spotlight on him right now for my series "Devious Intent", where I hope to go in depth with why he's such a strange character.

Talbot has more competency in one finger than what Flynn has in his entire life.

alterno69

Banned
Bought the game today, i rike it. For the record i hated U3 and so far this feels more balanced which is great, the graphics are amazing, i have no problem with it being upscaled, playing these visuals on a handheld is crazy.

If more games of this kind keep coming for the vita i might forget about my consoles for good.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It also had some really nice movie like memorable scenes.
exploring the ghost lake in the canoe, this mysterious ancient setting, in a calm way with low-key music and character development with only the rowing, it felt like I was watching a very good scene from a very good movie. Really hit the right notes.

Ironically, this scene is one of the worst gaming moments I've ever had. I felt totally ridicueld by the game and thought it was a really bad joke. The conversation during this part also was super-weak, not the least bit fun and I'd hate it in a movie, too.

I've played through this game about a week ago, but I had to write a lot of reviews lately so that I only come around posting about it now.

On the game as a whole: Golden Abyss was the first Uncharted I've played and I'm seriously baffled by the game, but not in a good way. But first the obvious high points. The graphics are incredible, expecially for such a small handheld and the game obviously knows that it's a beauty. There are some really great scenes showing off what this game has to offer visually and that's really a lot. Great texturework going on here! Also the music and voice action is nicely done, so audiovisually this game is a treat.

But what really bugs me, is, how much this game plays itself. The shooting segments play half decent, but aiming really isn't all too easy and there are only few points in the game, where it's not just hide and shoot. I didn't come to play a shooter, though (I hate shooters), so I'll concentrate on the rest of the gameplay experience. And this is where things get ugly. The worst offender is, that I don't really feel in control of what is happening in this game at all. Drake climbs on dangerous (but obviously colored) ways around huge mountains and buildings while stones are crumbling under his feet, always at the danger of falling into the abyss. But how is this reflected in gameplay? You just press roughly into the direction Drake is intended to go and occassionally press X to confirm that Drake is allowed to proceed with a jump. There is no room for error, not because this game is so difficult, but because this game actively hinders you from doing anything wrong. Even if you jump in a bad direction or time your jumps badly, Nathan always does what he thinks is best and makes a spectecular looking move, that absolutely pins down what he has to do next. This is not platforming, this is watching Drake climb.

The game is so scripted, that you can't really do anything the game doesn't intend you to do. There are several spots in the game which Drake should reach easily by a jump, compared to some incredible leaps he's doing, but whenever you're not intended to go there, Drakes jump is pathetic and you don't jump half as great distances. This game doesn't offer a great set of gameplay rules and matching designs, instead the gameplay rules are redefined according to the needs of the level design. As icing on the cake, the game is packed with QTE's and automated sequences, which further disconnect the gameplay experience from the viewing experience. Uncharted Golden Abyss looks like it was some incredible Prince of Persia follow up, but instead it's more of an interactive movie (with a story that isn't movie worthy at all) that doesn't give a damn about what the player is doing or wants to do. I don't know how all this compares to Uncharted 1-3, but Golden Abyss really is one of the worst AAA games I've ever played. On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd rate this game a 6, but this is being generous because of the incredible viewing experience. Gameplay-wise it's sub-par.

itxaka

Defeatist
Cutscenes, cutscenes everywhere.

That and the freaking touching all the time makes the game a bit duller but the rest is pretty good. Also the ligth trick was pretty good, it made me smile.

Uncharted 2 will be much better.

Xiaoki

But what really bugs me, is.....

So, a lot of complaints because Uncharted is a video game that plays like a video game?

Drake can make these impossible jumps without breaking a sweat because he's a fictional character.
And the path the game has you take is the path you take because thats the path the developers made for you to take.
Uncharted is not a free roaming open world sand box. Uncharted is not a platformer. So, why are you disappointed in Uncharted for being Uncharted and not what you think it should be?

VariantX04

The Uncharted series' scripted nature is not for everyone. You'd best avoid the mainline series as well, Yoshi.

Cutscenes, cutscenes everywhere.

That and the freaking touching all the time makes the game a bit duller but the rest is pretty good. Also the ligth trick was pretty good, it made me smile.

Uncharted 2 will be much better.
The sequel to this game will be glorious.

tzare

So, a lot of complaints because Uncharted is a video game that plays like a video game?

Drake can make these impossible jumps without breaking a sweat because he's a fictional character.
And the path the game has you take is the path you take because thats the path the developers made for you to take.
Uncharted is not a free roaming open world sand box. Uncharted is not a platformer. So, why are you disappointed in Uncharted for being Uncharted and not what you think it should be?

this.
Uncharted is what it is , if people don't like , fine, go choose other games, there are lots of open world games. It is starting to get annoying. Do people make these complains all day for other games? or it is just Uncharted?

Seems the late bloomers never get it because they expect something more than it really is. If you were there from the start, you'd know what to expect and appreciate the charm.

Top Bottom