• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.

Oh, thank you for the read. Could have been longer and in more detailed, but I have to agree on many points. I actually liked Uncharted:GA more than Killzone 3, but maybe it's just because of a stronger cast of characters and story which usually is the driving force for me in games. There has to be a meaning why I fight or climb rocks.

Jarmel

Banned

I disagree with a few things in the review but that's opinions for you.

The first being the way that they shove the Vita's features down your throat. There's a reason why Naughty Dog got rid of so much of the Sixaxis controls in UC2 and seeing it here in Abyss reminded me of that.

I also thought the enemy AI was pretty bad for the most part except for a few scripted parts. Overall I thought combat was very weak especially compared to UC2 and UC3, and overall just not fun.

The story in general is crap. It's extremely straightforward and not particularly well told. Not to mention almost all the new characters are pretty much garbage. They ruin one of the biggest twists in the game
Dante betraying you
in the first few minutes of the game. There is very little emotional impact in almost all of the scenes. It's just not that interesting of a story.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tis a couple of days old now, but was surprised to see Destructoid's review up already.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-uncharted-golden-abyss-218759.phtml

With Uncharted: Golden Abyss we have the first must-buy for Sony's PlayStation Vita. It takes the series' much-loved gameplay, storytelling and presentation, and adds on innovative touch and tilt features to make a game that fits perfectly alongside its predecessors. Prepare to be amazed by a portable videogame.

I disagree with a few things in the review but that's opinions for you.

The first being the way that they shove the Vita's features down your throat. There's a reason why Naughty Dog got rid of so much of the Sixaxis controls in UC2 and seeing it here in Abyss reminded me of that.

I also thought the enemy AI was pretty bad for the most part except for a few scripted parts. Overall I thought combat was very weak especially compared to UC2 and UC3, and overall just not fun.

The story in general is crap. It's extremely straightforward and not particularly well told. Not to mention almost all the new characters are pretty much garbage. They ruin one of the biggest twists in the game
Dante betraying you
in the first few minutes of the game. There is very little emotional impact in almost all of the scenes. It's just not that interesting of a story.

they dont shove them down your throat. All the touch stuff is optional.

Most touch stuff is optional but not all.

Personally I don't mind the touch stuff, the Vita has a badass touch screen, utilize it. The only touch stuff I'm hesitant about is the melee. I'm not sure I want to swipe the screen every time I want to use melee.

mocoworm

Uncharted: Golden Abyss Review - 8/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/uncharted-golden-abyss-vita-review

"...While the absence of multiplayer means it won't last you as long as previous instalments, new control options have allowed the developers to line the seams of Drake's adventure with flashy tassels and detailing that make for a varied and entertaining outing - perhaps even more so than its big brothers. At the very least, that should solidify Sony Bend's reputation as a trustworthy custodian for PlayStation's growing pile of first-party treasures."

Thoraxes

Sounds about what I expected out of the game. I'm kind of disappointed about the flaws that were pointed out, mostly due in part to the lengthy development time the game has had, but I will definitely pick it up (eventually) when it drops in price and opt for Gravity Rush as my launch title instead.

Corto

Most touch stuff is optional but not all.

Personally I don't mind the touch stuff, the Vita has a badass touch screen, utilize it. The only touch stuff I'm hesitant about is the melee. I'm not sure I want to swipe the screen every time I want to use melee.

Having played Infinity Blade 2 in the last few weeks on my iPhone I'm already more than ready to kick ass with touch controls for melee combat.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
games™ review

http://www.nowgamer.com/ps-vita/psvita-reviews/1192786/uncharted_golden_abyss_review.html

All in all, Uncharted: Golden Abyss is a solid addition to the Uncharted series, and one that any gamer, fan of the series or no, should be eager to get their hands on. It has a tight, well-written and well-acted script, excellent graphics, and gameplay on par with its PS3 brothers.

Its only real downside is that, because it is a launch title, it seems Golden Abyss seems overeager to incorporate every feature of the Vita whether it adds to the experience or not. That aside, if this game is indicative of portable games in the future, it looks like we may be entering an age where the only difference between portable and console gaming is the size of the screen

Final Verdict Uncharted: Golden Abyss proves that PS Vita has the clout to make serious waves in the industry.

great. i wonder if the game would've been scored higher if it had not been uncharted and instead had been a new ip

I guess it might have, given Uncharted Vita will inevitably be compared to ND's Uncharted games and Bend simply isn't as good a developer as ND, it's kind of a tough situation for Bend to be in, not being able to make their own IP and having to play little brother to the big boys, on the other hand ND has done a ton of work to build goodwill for the Uncharted IP.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I tried this yesterday on a friend's Vita for... 2 minutes or so? My impression is that the aiming controls were dogshit. Perhaps if I adjusted sensitivity settings they would be better? It was also my first time touching a Vita.

Desmond

I guess it might have, given Uncharted Vita will inevitably be compared to ND's Uncharted games and Bend simply isn't as good a developer as ND, it's kind of a tough situation for Bend to be in, not being able to make their own IP and having to play little brother to the big boys, on the other hand ND has done a ton of work to build goodwill for the Uncharted IP.

Bend are a fantastic dev

Kambing

Currently at chapter 15 and i am 100% enjoying my self. Dat visuals on the OLED screen O_O.

I've voiced my concerns over the controls in the "apocalyptic" thread which has been rectified by using both the gyro and aim assist. I can't believe i am saying this but at this point in time, i am definitely enjoying GA more than UC3. Bend did an excellent take on the franchise. I like the fact that there is no disconnect between location and story. No globe trotting also is a very nice change of pace.

The amount of geometry on the screen is really staggering at times, along with no pop-ins. Its hard to believe that this is coming out of a 5 inch device. Some low points however include the inconsistency of visuals in the game. A few areas look down right bad. Perhaps they ran out of polish time. However, this does not negate the fact that it is still an accomplishment though. The game also feels like more of an adventure as opposed to a "pop-corn" game such as UC3 in that things are not happening just because it looks cool. Despite this, the story is somewhat lacking. There is not enough suspense or mystery to match the other excellent aspects of the game. Ironically there seems to be more cut-scenes regarding story in GA than UC3 but a lot of it feels kind of like filler. Ah well lol.

Would love a spin-off featuring Sully, make it happen Bend!

Really hope this does not bomb =(. May have to buy another US copy haha.

Shancake

Currently at chapter 15 and i am 100% enjoying my self. Dat visuals on the OLED screen O_O.

I've voiced my concerns over the controls in the "apocalyptic" thread which has been rectified by using both the gyro and aim assist. I can't believe i am saying this but at this point in time, i am definitely enjoying GA more than UC3. Bend did an excellent take on the franchise. I like the fact that there is no disconnect between location and story. No globe trotting also is a very nice change of pace.

The amount of geometry on the screen is really staggering at times, along with no pop-ins. Its hard to believe that this is coming out of a 5 inch device. Some low points however include the inconsistency of visuals in the game. A few areas look down right bad. Perhaps they ran out of polish time. However, this does not negate the fact that it is still an accomplishment though. The game also feels like more of an adventure as opposed to a "pop-corn" game such as UC3 in that things are not happening just because it looks cool. Despite this, the story is somewhat lacking. There is not enough suspense or mystery to match the other excellent aspects of the game. Ironically there seems to be more cut-scenes regarding story in GA than UC3 but a lot of it feels kind of like filler. Ah well lol.

Would love a spin-off featuring Sully, make it happen Bend!

Really hope this does not bomb =(. May have to buy another US copy haha.

I agree with you 100%. I've also got Aim Aissist turn on as well as Gyro and the game controls amazingly. Auto assist puts you in the direction of the person then you just use the Gyro to line it up perfectly. You still feel like its not aiming for you but it feels smooth.

Loving the game really. I get amazed every time I turn it on. Even though its janky in some places, it still feels like the first "console experience" i've had on a handheld.

So I finally picked this up off of the JPSN today, I couldn't be anymore pleased with it. I think I am at about Chapter 12 or so and I am just finding it to be super enjoyable. I haven't played UC3 yet and the last time I played UC2 was when it came out, so getting some new UC content has reminded me why I like the series so much. I really do agree when people say that this a total console experience on a handheld, it is the first time I have played a really great game without anything having to be compromised.

As far as the aiming goes, it felt a bit awkward for the first 7-8 chapters, but ever since I started Chapter 10, something clicked for me with the gunplay and using stick in conjunction with slight movement with the gyro is fantastic, especially when sniping.

Overall, I am just really enjoying the game both gameplay-wise, and just playing a game in the UC universe again. I am really chomping at the bit to go pick up UC3 after I finish this one.

TripOpt55

Man, I am dying to play this! I just read that Christine Lakin does the voice for the girl. She was Al on Step by Step... haha. I remember her more recently from that Craig Kilborn show a couple of years back.

Anyone know how many hours it takes to beat? It seems pretty long based on what I have read.

Jarmel

Banned

No, some of the stuff you can't turn off.

I tried this yesterday on a friend's Vita for... 2 minutes or so? My impression is that the aiming controls were dogshit. Perhaps if I adjusted sensitivity settings they would be better? It was also my first time touching a Vita.

Quite frankly you're going to have to use the gyro. The sticks are garbage in the game.

dofry

Just a friendly announcement. In Hard mode you can't use aim assist like any other game.

Kambing

I agree with you 100%. I've also got Aim Aissist turn on as well as Gyro and the game controls amazingly. Auto assist puts you in the direction of the person then you just use the Gyro to line it up perfectly. You still feel like its not aiming for you but it feels smooth.

Loving the game really. I get amazed every time I turn it on. Even though its janky in some places, it still feels like the first "console experience" i've had on a handheld.

Yeah it really does. I was getting worried in earlier levels how linear the game was but after chapter 13 or 14 some of the levels open up. Good game is good.

dofry

Yeah it really does. I was getting worried in earlier levels how linear the game was but after chapter 13 or 14 some of the levels open up. Good game is good.

I love the third half of the game. Has the best dialogue and characters in the game. And canooing in the game is so relaxing. Just watch and enjoy the scenery.

destructoid review said:
My favorite new addition to Uncharted's control is the motion control-enabled aiming assist. You'll still use the right analog stick to aim your weapons, but the Vita's motion sensors let you tilt the system to fine tune your aim. While larger gestures let you move the reticle from enemy to enemy, I used it more for correcting my aim, and quickly fell in love with the feature. Being able to tilt to fine tune aim is so intuitive that I don't know how I ever lived without it.

Likes motion.

NowGamer review said:
The other new Vita feature is a tilt sensor. This has welcome applications – such as controlling Drake’s wild ride down a mudslide – and weaker ones, like using it to aim. However, after a bit of fiddling in the options menu, most of these questionable features can be individually turned off to make it run almost identically to any other Uncharted title.

Doesn't like, but instead calls it weak.

Eurogamer review said:
...the game's six-to-eight hour lifespan....

...the experience of controlling Drake is immediately comfortable and intuitive.

Is comfortable with basic controls which he does not explain clearly. Did he use motion aim or not? I laugh at the notion that the game would last only 6 hours. That would mean skipping every cinematic moment, playing on easy, and magically rushing through everything. I say 8 hours minimum for all.

Just got up to Chapter 24,
when Sully comes in the humor in the game goes up so many more notches.
I am totally comfortable with the controls now, they feel really great when using the sticks for general aiming and the gyro for fine tuning.

Jarmel

Banned
Just got up to Chapter 24,
when Sully comes in the humor in the game goes up so many more notches.
I am totally comfortable with the controls now, they feel really great when using the sticks for general aiming and the gyro for fine tuning.

Are you playing on Hard? If not, then you'll eventually find out what I'm talking about.

This is a wonderful game.At first I didn't like the controls, well the aiming, ( playing on normal with no assists) but now I like them.
Just got a question, how many chapters are in this game?

Just finished my first playthrough.. wow. Just fantastic... very happy that it's more of a return to roots than Uncharted 3's attempt (and failure) to outdo Uncharted 2.

The new touch controls range from pointless to quite useful. Climbing via painting your path is a great new addition, while climbing a rope with the rear touch panel is just dumb (the alternative is holding up on the analog stick - who wouldn't prefer that?).
As for the aiming: it takes some getting used to, for sure, due to the sticks being different than the DS3... but the additional gyro aiming helps greatly (feels perfect), so I had no issues with aiming. Yes, on Hard.

I really liked the new treasure stuff and the little gameplay gimmicks that came with it, even if some do get a little tedious after a while (stone rubbings in particular). Still, it feels a lot more involved. Instead of every single treasure being a matter of keeping an eye out for a glimmer in the corner of a room or ceiling, there is oftentimes an additional step you have to do to complete it. Not to mention, some of them aren't glimmers at all, or something you have to pick up (pictures). It also makes for better trophies: you've got treasure sets to complete, rather than the 10, 20, 30 etc. treasure trophies. Good stuff.

Lastly, I'm not going to get into the story because I don't want to accidentally spoil anything for anyone waiting for the Western release (spoiler tags can be tempting), but I will say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'd love to see more Vita Uncharted games that take place pre-Drake's Fortune.

Anyone who is considering buying a Vita and is a fan of Uncharted needs this game. It's a fully realized Uncharted adventure that you can take anywhere you go. So good.gif

Now, to obtain my fourth Uncharted platinum!

Bebpo

Banned
Nice, that sounds really enjoyable. Glad to see Bend was able to pull off another good similar-but-different adaptation of a major franchise like with Resistance Retribution. Looking forward to the US release!

is there going to be dlc for this game? I've been wanting to buy Vita and Uncharted bundle but I fear that Asian version of Uncharted might have problem with my main US PSN account when it come to DLC stuff, because of the one account per Vita thing.

Salz01

When you beat the game does it unlock characters and modifiers to use during replay? Something the third didn't have but the other two did?

dreamfall

Alright, I love it thus far- dedicating some time to it, on Chapter 15. But I have no idea what is going on- my Vita keeps freezing on this chapter, and I've had to hard reset twice (hold Power button for a couple seconds, then turn it back on). I think I'm going to give it a rest (only been playing about an hour), but this is freaking me out.

I'm playing the Asian version (Region 3) on a Japanese Wi-Fi Vita. Is anyone else experiencing this?

dofry

When you beat the game does it unlock characters and modifiers to use during replay? Something the third didn't have but the other two did?

No, nothing.

This game has a third half?
*writes article* What Ridge Racer could learn from Golden Abyss.

Haha, sorry. Last third of the game. I blame me not being native english speaker. I notto speaka ta englishyu.

gembel

i need help! finished the game on Hard, got the hard completed trophy, but Crushing difficulty not unlocked?? lol wtf??

when i go to New Game, I dont see Crushing. But when I go to Chapters, I can see Crushing.. is something wrong with my game data?? :(

Vicglorious

Neo Member
Definitely picking this up when I get a Vita. I loved Uncharted 1 and 2 and still haven't played 3, but will play this after 3. Just a bit worried about the game being designed around touch controls despite being able to use both touch and traditional control methods. But initial impressions and reviews seem to be fine, so it's probably not going to be an issue.

This game is fantastic. Im up to chapter 6 and gameplay wise its so much more fun than UC3.

I struggled with UC3 because it was the same formulaic BS over and over. This game is a lot more enjoyable (more in line with UC2)

dofry

What's this "additional mysterious" you mentioned in the second-to-last paragraph? :p

His "Additional mysteries" refers to just completing a set of items and photos in various chapters. E.g. "Collect three scrubbings, collect 5 jade items, take these photos". No real bonuses are given by collecting them as far as I know, but I haven't collected them all.

Can anyone who had a problem with the original aiming in Uncharted 3 give me some impressions on GA's aiming? I'm kind of concerned about this issue given how reviewers completely ignored it in UC3 reviews.

Right now I'm only sold on Wipeout at launch but I do enjoy a good Uncharted game...

dofry

Can anyone who had a problem with the original aiming in Uncharted 3 give me some impressions on GA's aiming? I'm kind of concerned about this issue given how reviewers completely ignored it in UC3 reviews.

Right now I'm only sold on Wipeout at launch but I do enjoy a good Uncharted game...

Lots of impressions in the old Japanese launch thread that is now locked.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34020332&highlight=#post34020332

The sticks are very loose, but with motion added it works well. Some people still don't like it though, as it takes time to get used to. In that latest review, I did notice that he also used auto-aim which is not an option on Hard.

Top Bottom