• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!

Bebpo

Banned
Got stuck in Chapter 15 for an hour last night and made no progress, which is kind of annoying. NEED HELP:

at the 7 gargoyle part. I found the ones at both ends, and I got to the one above which is south if you're facing Chase and her 3 gargoyles. Got to that one by heading out from doing the 2nd story gargoyle and doing a bunch of climbing.

For the life of me, could not figure out how to get to the gargoyle BEHIND the 3 ground gargoyles that Chase is working on. I see a possible climbing path from the 2nd story of where I first came down and into the room, but I can't figure out how to get there. What's weird is I swear when I was first in the room and had finished shooting guys there was a shiny black chain around there that would be climbable. But after an hour running around that floor I can confirm there is no climbable chain anywhere. Unless the game glitched and it disappeared or something.

NEED HELP

Grisby

I like how Drake comments on all the treasures now (most of them) and even Chase will make a reference to them once or twice. They don't feel so 'gamey' but a part of the world.

TripOpt55

I played the Prologue and Chapter 1 this morning. I was having a little trouble with the aiming at first. Might either try it without the motion aiming or I probably just need to get used to the motion aiming. Otherwise I'm enjoying it so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I like how Drake comments on all the treasures now (most of them) and even Chase will make a reference to them once or twice. They don't feel so 'gamey' but a part of the world.

Agreed. That's one of the best things they've added to this game. The treasure stuff actually makes sense this time around.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Got stuck in Chapter 15 for an hour last night and made no progress, which is kind of annoying. NEED HELP:

at the 7 gargoyle part. I found the ones at both ends, and I got to the one above which is south if you're facing Chase and her 3 gargoyles. Got to that one by heading out from doing the 2nd story gargoyle and doing a bunch of climbing.

For the life of me, could not figure out how to get to the gargoyle BEHIND the 3 ground gargoyles that Chase is working on. I see a possible climbing path from the 2nd story of where I first came down and into the room, but I can't figure out how to get there. What's weird is I swear when I was first in the room and had finished shooting guys there was a shiny black chain around there that would be climbable. But after an hour running around that floor I can confirm there is no climbable chain anywhere. Unless the game glitched and it disappeared or something.

NEED HELP
There's a path on the West side that leads to a broken stair case that will eventually lead you to that climbing path you saw above Chase. IIRC the path is dark.

got to chapter 3. gunplay's satisfactory (still haven't adapted, but feel like i will), but the swiping/rubbing (cqc, charcoal) & the photo-taking (i'll either get it right almost immediately, or spend forever getting past 95%) i could live without. yes, i realize it's there to show you how wonderfully versatile the vita is, but, when it's not a whole lotta fun, it pretty much succeeds in accomplishing the opposite of what it's intending to do :) ...

otherwise, stunning in every way - congrats (& thanks) to bend, who should be very proud. you've absolutely done right by nate...

Bebpo

Banned
The game is decent looking, but it definitely looks weaker than Uncharted 1 and isn't really at PS3 level.

Besides the low-resolution pixely look it has (which I can deal with), just the fact that runs around 20-25fps instead of a locked 30fps really puts it below the smooth great experiences that were U1-3 graphically. Plus quality of models, textures, small environments, etc...

I'm really happy with how the game turned out, but it definitely feels like a "portable-ized" Uncharted in the same way Peace Walker felt like a portable-ized MGS. It's quite similar to Bend's take on Resistance though obviously better looking because of the improvement in tech between PSP->Vita.

Carl

Besides the low-resolution pixely look it has (which I can deal with), just the fact that runs around 20-25fps instead of a locked 30fps really puts it below the smooth great experiences that were U1-3 graphically. Plus quality of models, textures, small environments, etc...

You know what, i honestly didn't know that. It could be 60fps for all the differnce my eyes would have noticed

Cheska

There's a path on the West side that leads to a broken stair case that will eventually lead you to that climbing path you saw above Chase. IIRC the path is dark.

Thank you for posting this!! I've been stuck in this area for 45 minutes but just managed to find the right path :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Where does this one fit into the chronology?
I rather enjoyed the first one, but haven't played 2 or 3 yet (backlog) and am trying to decide where to slot this into my inevitable (rest of) franchise run. Which is likely to be soon now that I'm all caught up on the Souls and Assassin's Creed series, and am wrapping up Vanquish...

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished the second chapter. Digging it a lot. All those collectibles make sense this time, and you have a better sense of being an explorer/archeologist than in the past games.

Cheska

Where does this one fit into the chronology?
I rather enjoyed the first one, but haven't played 2 or 3 yet (backlog) and am trying to decide where to slot this into my inevitable (rest of) franchise run. Which is likely to be soon now that I'm all caught up on the Souls and Assassin's Creed series, and am wrapping up Vanquish...

It's essentially a prequel. I'd say you're safe to play it and not feel like anything is being spoiled before playing Uncharted 2 and 3.

Reclaimer

Along with the treasure map DLC, a 60mb patch went up today.

Just looked like support for the maps and some bug fixes, but I'm hoping for some aiming patches soon.

Nice integration with the live page, popping up a little download bubble to let you know a patch is out. We ave patches and updates on a fucking handheld! This is future.

TripOpt55

I got hooked into this tonight and played up to chapter 14. Really enjoying it now. Still not super great at aiming, but I feel pretty good with it. I like all the collectibles and there seems to be a good bit of variety as far as both exploring/collecting and the combat scenarios so far. Just having a lot of fun with it now.

Yuripaw

Banned
I just beat this game. It was only about a month ago that I beat Uncharted 3, and this was a much more enjoyable game to me. I got so frustrated with the shooting and platforming with UC3, and had little to no interest in the story that I felt like I didn't even want Golden Abyss.

Glad I changed my mind and picked up Golden Abyss anyway. The story may be considered to be bare bones, but it was just the right amount of action and story I felt. The shooting actually felt much more polished than it did in Uncharted 3. The platforming had a few bugs here and there, but no worse than UC3. I don't know what is up with Naughty Dog if they can't even make a better game in terms of that type of stuff with their own franchise. With the exception of the mini-games kinda being gimmicky, this was a really good game. It reminded me of all the things I liked about Uncharted Drake's Fortune.

Hell, even enemies are much better in this game than they were in UC3. You could empty entire clips in the guys in UC3 and they wouldn't even flinch. In Golden Abyss I felt like there was a perfect balance of how much damage you could take, and how much your enemies take.

The game is decent looking, but it definitely looks weaker than Uncharted 1 and isn't really at PS3 level.

I'm really happy with how the game turned out, but it definitely feels like a "portable-ized" Uncharted in the same way Peace Walker felt like a portable-ized MGS. It's quite similar to Bend's take on Resistance though obviously better looking because of the improvement in tech between PSP->Vita.

i wanted to say the same thing. the game is dope, but it definitely looks and feels like a portable game. high-end psp moreso than ps3

what i really like about it is the sound. if it was on psp it would be compressed to hell and back

I just wanna say I hate the balancing gimmick. Uhg so horrible. I must have died like ten times in a row trying to cross this log. So much for the one hundred kill streak trophy. I really hate the gimmicks. All the forced ones can go to hell too. I'm also looking at you meele system.

Other than that the game is fantastic so far.

TripOpt55

The balancing and the melee swipe stuff is the only stuff that I'd rather not be there. The other stuff isn't so bad. Really liking the game so far though. Great balance between combat and exploration/traversal. I like all the different mysteries/collectible stuff.

the3ye

so where do I get the DLC?
Got the patch bot no sign of DLC option Oo
I've read it's suppose to be on live area, but it's not there Oo

knitoe

I just beat this game. It was only about a month ago that I beat Uncharted 3, and this was a much more enjoyable game to me. I got so frustrated with the shooting and platforming with UC3, and had little to no interest in the story that I felt like I didn't even want Golden Abyss.

Glad I changed my mind and picked up Golden Abyss anyway. The story may be considered to be bare bones, but it was just the right amount of action and story I felt. The shooting actually felt much more polished than it did in Uncharted 3. The platforming had a few bugs here and there, but no worse than UC3. I don't know what is up with Naughty Dog if they can't even make a better game in terms of that type of stuff with their own franchise. With the exception of the mini-games kinda being gimmicky, this was a really good game. It reminded me of all the things I liked about Uncharted Drake's Fortune.

Hell, even enemies are much better in this game than they were in UC3. You could empty entire clips in the guys in UC3 and they wouldn't even flinch. In Golden Abyss I felt like there was a perfect balance of how much damage you could take, and how much your enemies take.
So far, I feel the opposite. The pixal and jaggies makes the graphics look kinda bad. Not next gen or even current gen. The weapon sponge enemies remind me of Uncharted 1. Add in the twitchy aiming with stick, it makes the gameplay so much more worse. Don't really like force touch or gyro controls either.

Sallokin

Finished it just a few minutes ago. The back end was much more satisfying to me than the front. I definitely enjoyed it. I'd like to see Bend take another stab at it minus the log balancing and excessive swiping.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
For people that finished it... how is the replay value?
About the same as any other Uncharted game. I like that when you replay it you don't have to do all the "puzzles" again. They pop up with a checkmark at the bottom right so you can skip them.

Defuser

Oh yeah!!
Victor goddamn Sullivan!! I didn't expect him to be in Golden Abyss and get to play as him for a while.

Binabik15

I haven't even tried without gyro aiming. Played a bit of Uncharted, tried the Unit 13 demo and sorely missed gyro aiming. It just feels good to fine tune that last mm or two.

Is there a chapter select for GA? Do you have to play thorugh it first? I want to show chapter 4 and 5 to my parents, they haven't seen the Vita they partially gifted my for xmas yet. The burning warehouse looked much better than all those "Fire looks like PS1 graphix! lolz" posts I've seen made me anticipate.

Knitoe, what difficulty were you playing on? I started on normal and kind of regret it, headshotting guys is just easy peasy. Then again I found Drake's Fortune's enemies to be easy to kill as well and people called them sponges. Just hit the heads ;)

What is better, the .45 defender or the 92FS (the beast from previous games)?

Yup. I'm very pleased with how enemies are handled in this game. There are very few bullet sponge encounters and even the bullet sponges aren't that bad. This is a lot better than UC3 for me.

Mzo

I think people should get used to aiming with the sticks and fine-tuning with the gyro controls.

Don't think that mechanic is going anywhere any time soon, and it works really, really well.

After my Vita froze at chapter 7, forcing me to hard reset and in turn corrupting my save file i had to start again, but to be honest i didnt really mind since it just meant i had to play it some more :)

One aspect i have to say i really enjoy is being able to trace your path when climbing, really suits the handheld format and for me doesnt take anything away from the game which is something i was surprised about.

In terms of all uncharted games i rate them like this.

UC2 = 9/10
UC Golden Abyss = 8/10
UC1 = 7/10
UC3 = 6/10

1312893219_what.gif

Grisby

I have a feeling this isn't going to have any extras after I beat it. If GA had UC2's extras and a multiplayer mode (it could work easily) this game would be a 10.

.....without some of the constant touching of course. Some of them (puzzle stuff) really break up the pace of the game for me.

edit- To clarify I'm sure no MP and lack of extras (probably) were due to getting this out for launch.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't think I'm going to bother with this game anymore.

Boring encounters, and the poor framerate during pretty much every encouter doesn't help. Non stop screen pop-ups and tutorials. Too much of a been-there, done-that feel. This really just feels like a B-team Uncharted.

At least I got it for free so it should fetch a nice amount of credit.

Yup. I'm very pleased with how enemies are handled in this game. There are very few bullet sponge encounters and even the bullet sponges aren't that bad. This is a lot better than UC3 for me.

That's a good thing, at least. The bullet sponge enemies in Uncharted 2/3 feel so out of place.

So far, I feel the opposite. The pixal and jaggies makes the graphics look kinda bad. Not next gen or even current gen. The weapon sponge enemies remind me of Uncharted 1. Add in the twitchy aiming with stick, it makes the gameplay so much more worse. Don't really like force touch or gyro controls either.

Huh? Uncharted 1 didn't have any bullet sponge enemies...they all pretty much died in 3-4 shots or 1 headshot.

SharkJAW

For those that are using gyro stick with the aiming, what setting is your sensitivity on both the gyro and the sticks? I've been trying to use both, but they're not clicking and I'm wondering if its because of the sensitivity I'm messing with.

TheExodu5

Banned
For those that are using gyro stick with the aiming, what setting is your sensitivity on both the gyro and the sticks? I've been trying to use both, but they're not clicking and I'm wondering if its because of the sensitivity I'm messing with.

I set it as high as possible. I get close to the enemies with the stick, and just fine tune with the gyro.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I played this for 3 hours straight yesterday (I made it to Chapter 17). Gotta say it, Golden Abyss has blown me away. I was expecting a decent game because many were calling it a "direct-to-dvd" title. Bullshit. This is an excellent Uncharted experience, and I'm loving every minute of it.

I've never been a big fan of Uncharted's combat, but for whatever reason I find that this game has the best one yet. I don't know where the complains for the controls are coming from, because aiming here is far easier and more accurate than in the console games. I can get headshots without a trouble.

I'm also liking how the game introduces little neat sequences often. Some of them are definitely gimmicky, but I like them, because it actually feels as if I'm an explorer.

Oh, and I love all the treasures, bounties, achievements, etc. the game throws at you.

Along with Resident Evil Revelations, this is my favorite game so far this year, and it totally validated my Vita purchase.

knitoe

Knitoe, what difficulty were you playing on? I started on normal and kind of regret it, headshotting guys is just easy peasy. Then again I found Drake's Fortune's enemies to be easy to kill as well and people called them sponges. Just hit the heads ;)

Normal. Aiming is pretty hard with twitchy sticks. And, I like to hold the Vita at different angles so doesn't work for gyro controls.

Huh? Uncharted 1 didn't have any bullet sponge enemies...they all pretty much died in 3-4 shots or 1 headshot.
It was one of the big complaints with Uncharted 1. Things take way to long to kill. Maybe, it had to do with the weak weapons where a pistol did same damage as M16.

I'm starting to get used to the feel of the sticks and I'm having a lot more fun in combat scenarios now. I turned off the gyro aiming because I want to see how effective I can get with "pure" aiming over the course of the game. So far it's definitely still a step down from a dualshock but I'm pretty happy with how it feels overall.

I'm playing on hard and I'm just now starting Chapter 5. I'm enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would, actually.

Top Bottom