• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Review Thread

Bolivar687

Banned
With all these mixed signals about better pacing and sparse combat, I'm just going to skip this. The review hype for Uncharted 4 was an unforgivable collective failure of the press and I just don't have the time, and quite frankly don't really care, to find out if they're lying once again.

Amy Hennig's next project can't come soon enough.

level1

Extreme marketing + big hype since forever to its release + reputation from previous Uncharted's + Naughty Dogs faith

Watch this one have much lower sales due to lots of people disappointed with UC4
You forgot to mention the money hatting! And the press kits!

sackninja

With all these mixed signals about better pacing and sparse combat, I'm just going to skip this. The review hype for Uncharted 4 was an unforgivable collective failure of the press and I just don't have the time, and quite frankly don't really care, to find out if they're lying once again.

They weren't "lying" though. The majority of people love the game. People have different tastes. Why is this so hard to understand?

Lmao.

Holy shit. Lying now.

Some of you posters, guys. Scary.

HardRojo

Anyway, I was never really hyped for this one, but it's reviewing nicely and I'm sure some points have been knocked off right off the bat because it isn't perceived as a main Uncharted game, or something to that effect. Will definitely try to play it in the coming months and see for myself.

Rated it a Buy for ACG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POanBt1eBZo
It DOES have some issues though but for this cost, it does a great job furthering the world and offering some excellent Uncharted action.

This was the first review I watched (on my phone on the way to work). Honestly, it sounds better than I expected. Hmmmmm. My only concern is the characters.

Side note, never could understand where the "not filled with sponsored bullcrap" comes from. Never seen that sort of thing in video game reviews.

93 on metacrituc actually, and also it was of course voted game of the year here on gaf. I swear in Uncharted threads you would swear sometimes that 4 was universally hated.
Same thing with Uncharted 3 lol.

And MGS4.

And Fallout 3.

Oh, Gaf. You so silly.

I think I may wait until it goes on sale. I know it's pretty much a full fledged game, but my backlog is so big, and since Drake isn't the main character, I feel like I can wait until the Holidays.

Satire?

I didn't even really read reviews until after playing the game, and honestly exceeded all my expectations.

If their taste didn't align with yours, doesn't invalidate that most reviewers were attuned to what public perception would be.

Servbot24

Banned

Lazy devs and fake news games journalists conspired to LIE to NeoGAF user Bolivar! Wow! This is absolutely disgusting and completely unforgivable! This industry is falling apart!

I didn't even really read reviews until after playing the game, and honestly exceeded all my expectations.

If their taste didn't align with yours, doesn't invalidate that most reviewers were attuned to what public perception would be.

No dude they LIED. Don't worry though, I've told my mom. She'll sort them out!

Gurish

93 on metacrituc actually, and also it was of course voted game of the year here on gaf. I swear in Uncharted threads you would swear sometimes that 4 was universally hated.

It also took GOTYs at most sites and outlets (including many user awards), It was overall 2016's GOTY period. And it sold like crack, and it got awesome scores by professionals and by users (Amazon, IMDB, MC etc) alike.

By any possible merit the game was a big success yet still there is a really vocal minority here on Gaf that can make you think it was a huge failure going by their comments.

FelipeMGM

hmm, is this real?

I think you are lying...

cackhyena

Good lord....

Feeling pretty good about this one, and can't complain that at $40 it comes with a free copy of Jak and Daxter. One of the few pre-order bonuses I've felt to be actually worthwhile in some time. Looking forward to playing this, although I just got sucked into FFXII so it might be a little while...

Keihart

It is a huge shame to hear this game has less combat than UC4, which already had awful pacing and very little combat. Also hope to fuck there was a sizeable chunk working on TLOU 2 whilst this was being made, since a lot of the assets seem lifted from UC4, fucking jungles everywhere. I recall ND saying they wanted to experiment with the DLC so hearing it is more of the same is a terrible shame, I thought with new directors they would take the game in another direction but hope, same old same old.

Got huge hopes for TLOU 2 since I loved the first but as I said before, Straley needs to come back because TLL might not have any involvement of Druckmann directly, but the issue of putting story over gameplay is seemingly present here and will continue with TLOU 2, particularly if only Druckmann is in charge.

Straley seemed to be the only higher up interested in good gameplay at ND and since he is gone, fuck. :(

What are you talking about? aren't both of them in TLoU2?

Drencrom

Lying? It won most game of the year awards (from critics and readers).

hollerphonix

Neo Member
Is that jak and daxter thing just another ps4 on ps4 emulated thing or an actual proper remaster? I don't remember seeing anything definitive about the specifics of it so I was kinda wondering.
Back on subject these reviews actually kinda have me about to pull the trigger as it is I'm very close to playing through all the previous entries yet again...

Why is Bolivar687 comment on 'can't wait for Amy Hennig's next game' so bad?

Did she not have a lot of input in Uncharted 2?

As everyone here is talking about respecting opinions, surely this is just his opinion that Amy produces/directs better Uncharted's for 'his/her' taste than Druckman?

I don't get it?

Gurish

A question to people who got to play it: when you are trying to solve a puzzle (be it environmental or a more traditional) will Nadine tell you what to do if it takes you more than a couple of minutes?

It's one of the things I hated the most about previous installments, I want them to shut up and let me figure it out on my own!

Applebite

As everyone here is talking about respecting opinions, surely this is just his opinion that Amy produces/directs better Uncharted's for 'his/her' taste than Druckman?

I don't get it?

Probably because he is claiming that the games media lied about their enjoyment of Uncharted 4. You might wanna read his whole post.

Honest question: Did people actually like Nadine? She was kinda meh to me, didn't really have too much characterization other than tough mercenary leader.

I wish this tag team was of Chloe and Drake, or even Chloe and Elena, even if both of those wouldn't have made any sense lol.

prag16

Banned
Is that jak and daxter thing just another ps4 on ps4 emulated thing or an actual proper remaster? I don't remember seeing anything definitive about the specifics of it so I was kinda wondering.
Back on subject these reviews actually kinda have me about to pull the trigger as it is I'm very close to playing through all the previous entries yet again...

Not a remaster. 1080p60, trophies, no other upgrades iirc.

Honest question: Did people actually like Nadine? She was kinda meh to me, didn't really have too much characterization other than tough mercenary leader.

I wish this tag team was of Chloe and Drake, or even Chloe and Elena, even if both of those wouldn't have made any sense lol.

Yeah, Nadine sucks. Maybe this game will change my opinion. But I'm curious how they're gonna get past the whole, "Hey Chloe, yeah, I recently spent months relentlessly trying to kill Nate." Can't imagine Chloe would be thrilled even if she probably isn't SUPER close with Nate at this point.

Bolivar687

Banned
They weren't "lying" though. The majority of people love the game. People have different tastes. Why is this so hard to understand?

The majority of people who play Battlefield, Mario Kart, or Forza love those games, too.

That should not dictate that the press abdicate it's responsibility and give them perfect scores by default.

The number of people who responded negatively to the game's problems were large enough that those issues should have figured much more prominently in the reviews. Its becoming increasingly clear that the media collectively steers consumers towards certain games while pushing them away from others. And quality has far less to do with it than favoritism, entrenched biases, and popular perception.

Lazy devs and fake news games journalists conspired to LIE to NeoGAF user Bolivar! Wow! This industry is falling apart!

j6gk5vdy_1fxgkju_1chvsm8.png

Regarding combat, are you talking about frequency, or the total number of gunfights? I mean, the latter would make sense as it is a shorter game than U4.

The total number of fights felt like less. They're fun when they happen but yeah it's likely because the game is shorter that it felt like less of them. It's not necessarily a bad thing but for people who want more than U4s amount they might be disappointed

A question to people who got to play it: when you are trying to solve a puzzle (be it environmental or a more traditional) will Nadine tell you what to do if it takes you more than a couple of minutes?

It's one of the things I hated the most about previous installments, I want them to shut up and let me figure it out on my own!

Can't say for all the puzzles but there is one that stumped me a bit and she did give me hints but I had to press Triangle on her for her to do so I believe.

KORNdoggy

I don't get it?

way to ignore the first part of his post. lol

it's the part about "lying" that people have issue with, not him wanting amy hennigs new game (which frankly could be shit for all we know)

The majority of people who play Battlefield, Mario Kart, or Forza love those games, too.

That should not dictate that the press abdicate it's responsibility and give them perfect scores by default.

The number of people who responded negatively to the game's problems were large enough that those issues should have figured much more prominently in the reviews. Its becoming increasingly clear that the media collectively steers consumers towards certain games while pushing them away from others. And quality has far less to do with it than favoritism, elitist sensibilities, and popular perception.

jesus, it's worse than i thought, you're a tin foil hat whackjob. lol

They are PS2 Classics that render at a native 1080p, which I believe is better than the PS3 remaster which rendered at 720p. However other than that they're pretty much straight ports.

Source: https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...r-ps2-classics-coming-to-ps4-later-this-year/

I don't get it?
They aren't talking about that. It is his "lying" comment.

tzare

Ahh Uncharted (and ND) threads are always like this unfortunately.
Haven't finished 4 yet, so will buy later on for less money. Seems really good for an expansion to me.

only lie in here is you, believing your opinion is somehow universally accepted or even the majority of PS gamers share it lol...

UC4 is only seconded to UC2 by many many fans...Just stop

Applebite

The number of people who responded negatively to the game's problems were large enough that those issues should have figured much more prominently in the reviews. Its becoming increasingly clear that the media collectively steers consumers towards certain games while pushing them away from others. And quality has far less to do with it than favoritism, entrenched biases, and popular perception.

[citation needed]

prag16

Banned

And here, I thought the original post MAY have been a joke/satire.

But nope. He's doubling down. -_-

Lying...?

Holy shit.

played a bit - the game is still downloading and won't be fully download for a while.

so that was actually bloody thrilling - very kinectic and not having seen very much of the game - what a rush. I have goosebumps.

also it looking fucking amazing. Phwoarrrrr

Bolivar687

Banned
Lying? It won most game of the year awards (from critics and readers).

Lmao.

Holy shit. Lying now.

Some of you posters, guys. Scary.

Lying...?

Holy shit.

only lie in here is you, believing your opinion is somehow universally accepted or even the majority of PS gamers share it lol...

UC4 is only seconded to UC2 by many many fans...Just stop

Because saying the reviewers lied about uncharted 4 isn't an opinion.

You can't accuse entire industry of lying (without proof). You ain't getting away it.

The significant issues about the game featured prominently in the discussions following release, even among those who overall enjoyed the game (like myself). These issues were not similarly represented in the reviews.

I can call it a "misrepresentation" instead if it makes you all feel better about yourselves.

Top Bottom