• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Review Thread

I'm not saying it's bad or terrible or whatever, I'm just saying people ( including me ) have higher expectation for Naughty Dog than any other studio.

Someone is bound to give it a 7.5 or even a 6. I would suggest you pay more attention to the individual reviews, a lot of people have given it a 9/10.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I could swear i heard the directors say they wanted to make a more action packed version of Uncharted 4. i thought they were probably the part of the vocal minority that hated the long platforming levels and lack of setpieces.

i just dont understand why they will turn Uncharted into a slow paced game. its an action movie like Indiana Jones and the Mummy.

BigEmil

I need a review from someone who didn't like Uncharted 4 though, so i know it'd line up with my tastes.
Or at least know how it compares to it, in terms of pacing.
Yeah, all I know so far it's more akin to Movie 4 than Uncharted 2/3 which is a shame

Ros8105

E9Ifa6Y.png
Pretty pathetic. The reviewer's criticism of the game seems fair.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reviews are just about what I'd expect. Looking forward to the last entry in the UC series.

- Took me 8 hours to beat the game, optional quest in West Ghats included. Since that eats up some time, I’d say it’s about 7 hours for the main quest. Got 55/68 treasures.
- The West Ghats are what Madagascar should have been. There are a bunch of locations to explore and I’d recommend you do the optional quest, even though you might think the reward is disappointing. I loved this entire area and spent yesterday loading it from chapter select and replaying it.
- The game is leaner than most Uncharted games and the pacing is better. There’s still an intro but it’s short and tense.
- There’s a good variation of every Uncharted staple. There are more puzzles than you’d expect and less combat encounters than I expected. Traversal was handled better than U4 imo.
- Villain Asav starts out promising, but [plot spoiler]
turns into a screaming madman anyway near the end. Final fight is also another fistfight.
One of the more disappointing aspects of the game. Villains just aren't Uncharted's strength.
- The finale is pretty exciting. It’s like
a combination of U2’s train sequence and the chase from U4
. I feel like some players may be down on it because it’s essentially nothing new, but I loved it.
- The vistas are spectacular… graphically this is up there with U4.
- Chloe and Nadine may not bring their quip game like Nate and Sully, but it’s nice to see their relationship/trust evolve throughout the mission.
- Overall: this is what I wanted U4 to be in the first place. The game’s biggest strength is its limited length and better pacing. I wanted to replay it immediately after, while I didn’t feel like going through U4 again after it ended.

I would give it an 8/10. This really feels like Uncharted: greatest hits and I'd recommend this game to people new to the series. Gameplay-wise it's a much better experience than U4 for me.
Thanks for the impressions.

Good to hear pacing is fine.

Timeaisis

I'm more interested if this leans more into the setpiece and action heavy 2/3 or the more narrative focused, occasionally boring 4.

Any reviews hit on that?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The crazy people bitch about that, us normal folk just see a great score. ;)

The mental gymnastics and lunacy present in review threads always makes me question associating myself with this hobby.

New AAA game gets an 8: either the reviewer is insane and should be publicly flogged for having the gall to drag our precious franchise through muck and piss.

Or...

It's time for developer to retire and give the franchise to a more capable team. Like Platinum, or Platinum!

Sounds great, but more....samey than I was expecting, maybe.

I have a tough decision to make. Hold on to my $30 preorder of this from Amazon or get another game I've been meaning to get around to but haven't yet (Nier, Persona, etc). Ugh. So many games, 2017.

It is a huge shame to hear this game has less combat than UC4, which already had awful pacing and very little combat. Also hope to fuck there was a sizeable chunk working on TLOU 2 whilst this was being made, since a lot of the assets seem lifted from UC4, fucking jungles everywhere. I recall ND saying they wanted to experiment with the DLC so hearing it is more of the same is a terrible shame, I thought with new directors they would take the game in another direction but hope, same old same old.

Got huge hopes for TLOU 2 since I loved the first but as I said before, Straley needs to come back because TLL might not have any involvement of Druckmann directly, but the issue of putting story over gameplay is seemingly present here and will continue with TLOU 2, particularly if only Druckmann is in charge.

Straley seemed to be the only higher up interested in good gameplay at ND and since he is gone, fuck. :(

reKon

Banned
All I wanted to know is whether the pacing issues were fixed from UC4. So far it sounds good.

I honestly won't be surprised if people end up enjoying this more than UC4.

Console warriors will obviously say otherwise though

"proof that the series should be finished - not as good"

"cash grab"

"more of the same, run of the mill TPS"

I wouldn't even mind if TLoU II is similar to Uncharted 4 in pacing. It didn't work for Uncharted 4 because I had such little investment in those characters and it wasn't what I wanted out of an Uncharted game, where that's exactly what I want out of a TLoU game.

I'm more interested if this leans more into the setpiece and action heavy 2/3 or the more narrative focused, occasionally boring 4.

Any reviews hit on that?

The USGamer review didn't specify if there's more action but they did directly say it's better balanced than Uncharted 4 and the open area which the game centers on is not as 'empty' so to speak. And the review directly mentions issues with Uncharted 4's pacing.

So, it seems to me it's plausible there's less action but it might escalate a little more properly or the size of action for example depends on how much you explore in the central area.

BigEmil

It is a huge shame to hear this game has less combat than UC4, which already had awful pacing and very little combat. Also hope to fuck there was a sizeable chunk working on TLOU 2 whilst this was being made, since a lot of the assets seem lifted from UC4, fucking jungles everywhere. I recall ND saying they wanted to experiment with the DLC so hearing it is more of the same is a terrible shame, I thought with new directors they would take the game in another direction but hope, same old same old.

Got huge hopes for TLOU 2 since I loved the first but as I said before, Straley needs to come back because TLL might not have any involvement of Druckmann directly, but the issue of putting story over gameplay is seemingly present here and will continue with TLOU 2, particularly if only Druckmann is in charge.

Straley seemed to be the only higher up interested in good gameplay at ND and since he is gone, fuck. :(
Yep.. :'(

Neil Druckman needs to stick with TLOU franchise dude ruined Uncharted 4 now Uncharted TLL got inspired from Uncharted 4 ugh one of my fave game franchise ruined

Don't want to spoil myself but I was wondering if any of the reviews covered these topics

- is the pacing more even than Uncharted 4 with a healthy balance of combat, climbing, puzzles etc.?

- Is the story interesting?

- is it the same combat from uncharted 4 cause that shit was awesome!?

Pacing is better but there's much less combat. There's a lot of exploring and climbing and stuff of that nature. Then again there's a big open middle area that will change the pacing per individual base don how much time you wanna spend there. That being said that mid area is awesome and I really enjoyed exploring it and enjoyed the more open approach. Actually felt like exploring

The story isn't THAT interesting. It has its moments and it's fun seeing Nadine and Chloe interact but I don't think it gets it's hooks into you like the other games. The stakes don't feel as high.

Some of the fight sequences are open and allow you to tackle them from multiple angles like in U4. There's just a lot less of them or at least it feels that way due to how the middle of the game plays out. They're fun to do but I don't think they fully reach their potential

JakR

Don't forget ladder puzzles. Ellie better have learnt how to swim as well. No more guitar until she gets that done!

I hope she learns lockpicking and opens everything that imitates a door. :)

Reviews are very good and why it is just thursday and the 23. is still far away. :(

So I have to play Uncharted 4 to bridge the time gap. :D

sackninja

How a game is ruined selling 9 millions and getting 92 on MC?

93 on metacrituc actually, and also it was of course voted game of the year here on gaf. I swear in Uncharted threads you would swear sometimes that 4 was universally hated.

BigEmil

How a game is ruined selling 9 millions and getting 92 on MC?
Extreme marketing + big hype since forever to its release + reputation from previous Uncharted's + Naughty Dogs faith

Watch this one have much lower sales due to lots of people disappointed with UC4

reKon

Banned
Extreme marketing + big hype since forever to its release + reputation from previous Uncharted's + Naughty Dogs faith

Watch this one have much lower sales due to lots of people disappointed with UC4

You need to stop being so wrong in every post in this thread.

No, that's asuming too much, Lost Legacy is not a numbered entry, that's reason enough to sell lower. Uncharted 4 has little to do with that.

Also, U4 is considered the best or second best game in the series in general, people that didn't like it simply feels frustrated their opinion is not the consensus.

Hoje0308

Banned
Pacing is better but there's much less combat. There's a lot of exploring and climbing and stuff of that nature. Then again there's a big open middle area that will change the pacing per individual base don how much time you wanna spend there. That being said that mid area is awesome and I really enjoyed exploring it and enjoyed the more open approach. Actually felt like exploring

The story isn't THAT interesting. It has its moments and it's fun seeing Nadine and Chloe interact but I don't think it gets it's hooks into you like the other games. The stakes don't feel as high.

Some of the fight sequences are open and allow you to tackle them from multiple angles like in U4. There's just a lot less of them or at least it feels that way due to how the middle of the game plays out. They're fun to do but I don't think they fully reach their potential

Regarding combat, are you talking about frequency, or the total number of gunfights? I mean, the latter would make sense as it is a shorter game than U4.

This thread is crazy. Having actually played the game, I think the balance of gameplay styles is better in The Lost Legacy than in A Thief's End.

It all depends what you consider to be "gameplay". If the only kind of "gameplay" for you involves shooting people in the face, then the combat is used sparingly, but there are some good encounters IMO.

But it's obviously not the only kind of "gameplay" to begin with. The Lost Legacy has quite a lot of puzzles, both environmental (I can see where I need to be, but how do I get there?) and more traditional ones that you need to complete to progress. This is all mixed with the exploration (in the series' largest ever level no less) and platforming aspects.

Like I say, I think the balance is right here. It feels like an Uncharted: Greatest Hits to me, which I find very agreeable personally.

I'm glad Naughty Dog mixes it up with different gameplay elements, rather than pit you against waves and waves and waves of soldiers like the earlier games did. I feel like the series has matured in the right way.

Oni Jazar

I'll never forgive people that say they don't like the combat in Uncharted. It's always been a blast and because of those complaints we get the focus taken away to stuff like walking around and climbing.

xviper

so from what i understand is that the DLC has even less combat and more walking\climbing than the full game ??

i just finished a boring depressing repetitive walking simulator piece of shit that is called Hellbalde and now i may play another boring repetitive walking simulator piece of shit!

CHC

i just finished a boring depressing repetitive walking simulator piece of shit that is called Hellbalde and now i may play another boring repetitive walking simulator piece of shit!

Why don't you just play the games you like?

Gbraga

This thread is crazy. Having actually played the game, I think the balance of gameplay styles is better in The Lost Legacy than in A Thief's End.

It all depends what you consider to be "gameplay". If the only kind of "gameplay" for you involves shooting people in the face, then the combat is used sparingly, but there are some good encounters IMO.

But it's obviously not the only kind of "gameplay" to begin with. The Lost Legacy has quite a lot of puzzles, both environmental (I can see where I need to be, but how do I get there?) and more traditional ones that you need to complete to progress. This is all mixed with the exploration (in the series' largest ever level no less) and platforming aspects.

Like I say, I think the balance is right here. It feels like an Uncharted: Greatest Hits to me, which I find very agreeable personally.

I'm glad Naughty Dog mixes it up with different gameplay elements, rather than pit you against waves and waves and waves of soldiers like the earlier games did. I feel like the series has matured in the right way.

It's not about necessarily shooting people in the face, it's about having actual agency and the player interaction being more than holding forward while you watch Chloe almost falling and pretending you were ever at risk.

I have nothing against platforming, platformers are great, but Uncharted never had suited platforming for anything other than short bursts of downtime or a complement to the combat by using the movement and verticality to make it more unique.

I've seen more than one person saying the traversal is better than in A Thief's End, so that sounds interesting to me. If they actually made traversal better, then I'm fine with less combat. I didn't want more combat in 4 just because I wanted to shoot people, I wanted more combat in 4 because it was pretty much the only form of meaningful interaction in the game, and I find it more reasonable to ask for a better balance of gameplay elements than asking them to go back to the drawing board and completely redesign all of the other elements to make them engaging.

The environmental puzzles you've mentioned also sound interesting, I hope it makes exploration more meaningful.

Why don't you just play the games you like?

I don't think xviper likes anything.

KORNdoggy

so from what i understand is that the DLC has even less combat and more walking\climbing than the full game ??

maybe go play a game with more "bang bang shoot shoot" instead of playing games clearly not to your tastes?

HardRojo

No one's forcing you to play them, but I guess it's easier to keep regurgitating the same stuff from the previous thread. And it's funny to see both posters posting the same stuff they did last time lol, pretty sure you opinions won't change even if this is a much better game than expected.

Plus, reviews are there to be read and gather a general idea of what the game plays like and its contents, so I suggest reading them and not focusing simply on the score. I actually recommend reading those that may seem like outliers, as they might contain interesting info.

It's not about necessarily shooting people in the face, it's about having actual agency and the player interaction being more than holding forward while you watch Chloe almost falling and pretending you were ever at risk.

Good job there's the puzzles, exploration, and treasure hunting to balance out the platforming, shooting, and story moments, then.

It's not exactly Dragon's Lair.

Top Bottom