• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection gameplay

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Were you there for the TLoU:R thread before release? There were more than a few people lamenting the loss of the cinematic presentation of the original release until it was announced that there would be an option to lock at 30. Some people really don't like smooth frame rates.

Oh I know, I think it's fucking weird but I know. I actually tried The Last of Us at 30fps just to see and I lasted about 20 seconds as it felt like the game was running in slow motion, it was horrid. I guess it's my PC background, I've been gaming at 60fps without dips for so many years now that anything else just isn't acceptable, it's the main reason I've avoided consoles until recently. Personally I'm really looking forward to playing The Uncharted Collection, mostly due to the fact it's 60fps.

PaulloDEC

I want to glove slap that interviewer, did he really suggest that a game can look too good, and be at too high of a frame rate? "That's a thing", no, no it's not.

I realise it's sacrilege to say, but I kinda get where he's coming from. For example, I downloaded the intro sequence to Tales from the Borderlands Episode 4 from Youtube the other day, and it turned out the uploader had recorded it at 60fps. Now, I played the game at 60fps myself, and that's the way I like to play games, but watching that video back at 60fps just looked... wrong. It was like all the atmosphere and feeling of the sequence had been sucked out of it. Watching a recording of that sequence at 30fps felt more true to the experience I had playing the game than watching it at the framerate I actually played it at. How weird is that?

I guess my point is just that framerate can be a funny thing in terms of how it "feels", especially when you're mixing playing and viewing.

jett

D-Member
Can somebody please tell me what the hell this person is trying to say at around 6 minutes?

"Now, do you ever have these moments where you go back and look at it, ya know 1080p, runnin' real quick on the framerate, you ever have moments where you're like 'It looks too good'? The frames are too fast? Cuz, that's a thing, ya know! If your framerate isn't in balance with the experience, the bigger number is not always the better number."

wat

I didn't even bat an eye when I heard in that video, just used to that sort of shenanigans. It's sad how ignorant people in this "industry" are of even the most basic technical concepts. The ND guy was nice enough to completely ignore what he said.

nib95

Banned
I didn't even bat an eye when I heard in that video. It's sad how ignorant people in this "industry" are of even the most basic technical concepts. The ND guy was nice enough to completely ignore what he said.

I'm fairly confident that a large number of us who post on this very forum, are probably more clued up on things related to gaming than many journalists are. I know that's a tremendously arrogant thing to say, but just look at some of the things we see, hear and read from journo's, especially from some of these bigger sites. The ignorance is often quite literally astonishing. Granted these farcical instances are relatively few and far between, but the fact that they do occasionally occur at all is still slightly perplexing. These are industry professionals working at famed outlets, that have the utmost media exposure and reach after all.

Apologies to Chris Watters if I've come off as rude or too critical. I actually like a lot of his interviews, his general personality and his level of enthusiasm. Only regarding some of the more technical stuff or nitty gritty details, is where it can now and again be hit and miss lol.

DevilFox

Wow, I had to check the cutscenes on my HDD because I didn't remember them so blurred.
Time to sell the games then, I'll get 20 bucks top for all of them but whatever. I'll wait for this trilogy to be 20-30, can't wait.

I'm fairly confident that a large number of us who post on this very forum, are probably far more clued up on things related to gaming than many journalists are. I know that's a tremendously arrogant thing to say, but just look at some of the things we see, hear and read from journo's, especially from some of these bigger sites. The ignorance is often quite literally astonishing. Granted these farcical instances are relatively few and far between, but the fact that they do occasionally occur at all, is still slightly perplexing. These are industry professionals working at outlets with utmost media exposure and reach after all.

It's not arrogant, my friend. It's a fact. I opened a thread a while ago complaining about their educational background which I admit, sounds terrible, but it's not like they do anything to make me think otherwise!
If only there was a easy solution.. because a good critics can help our devs a lot as well as they can teach their readers something so that they'll start to appreciate the right things. This industry right now is driven by money and kids, I thank god when I play a really good game or when a Journey / Ori / Never Alone / TLOU pop up out of nowhere, they're miracles I tell you. Forgive the rant, I just happened to see your post after reading terrible things from a reviewer on another community.

I dont want to be rude and derail the thread but what makes some of you want to wait for such a drastic price drop? I mean i see 50 or 40 dollars but seeing how good these games look how much work they put in, the added two difficulties, a bunch of skins, 3 games and a beta for uncharted 4 this seems like a heck of alot of value especially compared to some of the games we've gotten so far this gen with or without multiplayer. Again not judging your opinion on value jus wanted to kno.

I can only speak for myself but rarely buy games for $60 and considering I already played all 3 before. To me, $60 is not worth it especially without the multiplayer or coop. If it had multiplayer or coop I would've definitely bought since I always wanted to play Uncharted 2 multiplayer since I never could find games on ps3. I also wanted to play as
Eddy Raja
in the Uncharted 3 fort coop without having to purchase it. Skins and difficulties isn't enough for me to buy it at full price.

I can only speak for myself but rarely buy games for $60 and considering I already played all 3 before. To me, $60 is not worth it especially without the multiplayer or coop. If it had multiplayer or coop I would've definitely bought since I always wanted to play Uncharted 2 multiplayer since I never could find games on ps3. I also wanted to play as
Eddy Raja
in the Uncharted 3 fort coop without having to purchase it. Skins and difficulties isn't enough for me to buy it at full price.

Yeah I get it. $30- 40 would be nice. I bit on gears this week just because I will be able to get the other 3 games and have them running the one even though they are not remakes. I am guessing you will see it for $30 on thanksgiving though.

Loudninja

Yep some great work is going into this.

Yeah I get it. $30- 40 would be nice. I bit on gears this week just because I will be able to get the other 3 games and have them running the one even though they are not remakes. I am guessing you will see it for $30 on thanksgiving though.
Cant say I see half price that soon after launch.

Apologies to Chris Watters if I've come off as rude or too critical. I actually like a lot of his interviews, his general personality and his level of enthusiasm. Only regarding some of the more technical stuff or nitty gritty details, is where it can now and again be hit and miss lol.

Oh come on. There's no need to apologize.

On top of the ignorance regarding tech facts (which can be somewhat excusable), sometimes these journalists can't even (or don't want to) express themselves in proper english.

Alo0oy

Banned
How so? I don't quite follow.

There was a theory that cutscenes are real time now from the last thread (the story trailer one), besides the obvious point of 6 hours of 1080p60fps video could not possibly fit into 50GB, the story trailer used different models & lighting, & had some artifacting associated with real time cutscenes.

Kinda like how people figured out UC4's cutscenes were real time because there was some clipping in that scene.

stryke

I like some of the changes they made with the shadowing on the character. It looks more natural now instead of that "sheen" it used to have -

3i3JqOS.gif

I like some of the changes they made with the shadowing on the character. It looks more natural now instead of that "sheen" it used to have -

3i3JqOS.gif

this actually highlights a minor quibble I have with the updated visuals so far. Overall it seems like they're doing a spectacular job with the ports, but it seems like they're also somewhat muting the color palette, something I've always thought set the Uncharted games apart from most other dull-looking shooters. Not a huge deal so far, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.

Loudninja

this actually highlights a minor quibble I have with the updated visuals so far. Overall it seems like they're doing a spectacular job with the ports, but it seems like they're also somewhat muting the color palette, something I've always thought set the Uncharted games apart from most other dull-looking shooters. Not a huge deal so far, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.
The level looks the same in gameplay.

Some changes sure but the overall tone is the same.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That shot kind of exaggerates a difference in color since it seems like the hero lighting on Nate is gone, which mutes him a bit but blends him more naturally into the world. Otherwise it looks very, very close to the original release in terms of the looks of the stage.

In this gif the PS4 version looks a bit brighter
http://abload.de/img/ddp0rjf.gif

It seems that they've changed the material rendering to be more accurate so some differences like that will happen.

ShutterMunster

The gifs in this thread have really done a great job highlighting just how massive the differences are. I was a bit worried after that very first video came out, but not so much anymore. I wish they would show more of Uncharted 1. Really curious to see how that turned out.

That's odd because in the first footage we got of this collection (also from U2) some people pointed out the rooftop and sign on a building were brighter and more vibrant

I think it's just different in some areas

That's odd because in the first footage we got of this collection (also from U2) some people pointed out the rooftop and sign on a building were brighter and more vibrant

I think it's just different in some areas

That shot kind of exaggerates a difference in color since it seems like the hero lighting on Nate is gone, which mutes him a bit but blends him more naturally into the world. Otherwise it looks very, very close to the original release in terms of the looks of the stage.

In this gif the PS4 version looks a bit brighter
http://abload.de/img/ddp0rjf.gif

It seems that they've changed the material rendering to be more accurate so some differences like that will happen.

The level looks the same in gameplay.

Some changes sure but the overall tone is the same.

Cool! Thanks for the responses, seems likely it's mostly in my head then. What was concerning me most was that the blue pillars seemed less vibrant in the PS4 shot. But you're saying there's some other reason for that color difference?

Are they seriously discussing in the video how 60 fps might be too much ("too good") for this game or did I take this out of context?

Anyway, this looks way better than I thought and the shadowing/lighting looks a lot better too. I'm quite surprised actually. And running at 60 fps really improves the look of the game too.

Maybe I'll buy it sometime later when I have nothing else. Would definitely choose this over the PS3 originals. Not to mention finally being able to play the first game with vysnc!

stryke

Can't believe they regurgitated the "we don't want to fracture the PS3 multiplayer community" again.

Sorry, you're not fooling anyone.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Did Naughty Dog work with higher end assets that they scaled down to fit performance requirements?

Looking at the gifs linked earlier, it looks significantly different and more then just lighting improvements and higher resolution.

Frankly i'm surprised how well this is turning out, Naughty Dog was one of a handful of developers to push the PS3 to it's absolute limits, and porting that over to the PS4, I would have figured would have posed more than a typical challenge.

It could point to the talent and development process at Naughty Dog leaving a fantastic base for Blue Point to work with.
Or, perhaps Blue Point may have put in way more to work with then a typical "remaster process" but I don't think the studio is large enough to make this many changes.

Did Naughty Dog work with higher end assets that they scaled down to fit performance requirements?

Looking at the gifs linked earlier, it looks significantly different and more then just lighting improvements and higher resolution.

Frankly i'm surprised how well this is turning out, Naughty Dog was one of a handful of developers to push the PS3 to it's absolute limits, and porting that over to the PS4, I would have figured would have posed more than a typical challenge.

It could point to the talent and development process at Naughty Dog leaving a fantastic base for Blue Point to work with.
Or, perhaps Blue Point may have put in way more to work with then a typical "remaster process" but I don't think the studio is large enough to make this many changes.

According to the interview, they did. The models now used in the remaster are the exact same ones used in the pre-rendered sequences from the last generation.

stryke

Naughty Dog probably had higher quality assets to give over but Bluepoint did hire texture artists earlier this year.

sw26

Looking good!

I never got around to playing 3 on PS3 despite it even being a PS+ game at one point, so looking forward to running through all of them again.

Another Bluepoint fan here, they do really good remaster work.

DieH@rd

Banned
Based Bluepoint.

As for those people who are surprised that they are re-touching geometry, that was evident since the release of Story Trailer. Digital Foundry youtube video showcased several examples of not only upgraded geometry but higher density of objects/effects.

Here's another link.

And a comparison i made:

ihw1zsaeosf.gif

I didn't bother tagging the screenshots, should be obvious which is which. :)

Is that a broken geometry in the PS3 version [near upper right corner]?

sinnergy

Based Bluepoint.

As for those people who are surprised that they are re-touching geometry, that was evident since the release of Story Trailer. Digital Foundry youtube video showcased several examples of not only upgraded geometry but higher density of objects/effects.

Is that a broken geometry in the PS3 version [near upper right corner]?

I see for the most part no big changes in geometry.. to me it looks like update textures and normal maps, bump maps, maybe even better resolution parallax maps if they use any.

The roofs exhibit better normal maps / bump maps so does the example of the street.

DieH@rd

Banned
I see for the most part no big changes in geometry.. to me it looks like update textures and normal maps, bump maps, maybe even better resolution parallax maps if they use any.

The roofs exhibit better normal maps / bump maps so does the example of the street.

Yes, they did not change much of geometry.

As was said in gamespot interview, BP sat with ND and they looked at all games and found spots where old games looked most rough, and they worked hard on upgrading those spots. Some of those spots were geometry-based, but most were not.

dalin80

Banned
Does look much better but I hope the driver towards realism doesn't take away too much of the warm vibrancy the series had.

Providing there is a disc release it's a day one for me regardless but I really enjoyed the refreshing colours and feeling of the series during the 'Great Brown Era' and hope that feeling survives the upgrade process.

Does look much better but I hope the driver towards realism doesn't take away too much of the warm vibrancy the series had.

Providing there is a disc release it's a day one for me regardless but I really enjoyed the refreshing colours and feeling of the series during the 'Great Brown Era' and hope that feeling survives the upgrade process.

you know you could just adjust your tv if it comes down to it.

Harmen

Cool! Thanks for the responses, seems likely it's mostly in my head then. What was concerning me most was that the blue pillars seemed less vibrant in the PS4 shot. But you're saying there's some other reason for that color difference?

Your mind can play tricks on you depending on how colorschemes come together. But I think you are right, the colors are "less vibrant" in a PS3/PS4 side by side comparison. I think it is partially due to the changes in the lightning engine.

However, if you look at the gameplay of the remaster as a whole in this latest footage, I think there is plenty of color. They seem to go for a somewhat more natural look of the colors and lightning, which fits the more detailed textures greatly in my opinion. It is still a very bright, "sharp" and colorful game from the looks of it, just with more emphasis on the details/more natural lightning and less contrast in the colors.

Alo0oy

Banned
According to the interview, they did. The models now used in the remaster are the exact same ones used in the pre-rendered sequences from the last generation.

They didn't say that, they said some textures were pulled from their cutscenes counterpart, we've already seen in-game models look better than their last gen cutscenes counterpart, especially the main characters.

Lucreto

Can't believe they regurgitated the "we don't want to fracture the PS3 multiplayer community" again.

Sorry, you're not fooling anyone.

Just because you refuse to believe it doesn't make it less true.

Why waste resources on redoing the U2 multiplayer and U3 multiplayer and have both lobbies only half full while waiting ages to get a match going. The U4 beta should be enough for people.

Some people need to build a bridge and get over it.

Just because you refuse to believe it doesn't make it less true.

Why waste resources on redoing the U2 multiplayer and U3 multiplayer and have both lobbies only half full while waiting ages to get a match going. The U4 beta should be enough for people.

Some people need to build a bridge and get over it.

they only needed to focus on U2's multiplayer since it was better. and i would've been fine with just the co-op missions.

Top Bottom