• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Siege PSN Game - New Trailer

Just a quick question for the devs, are u guys going for a demigod/dota vibe with this game? Or are you going for a World of Conflict vibe with this game. Also, thanks for the screens and the traielr looks great, and cant wait to hear more from you guys in the future.

We are aiming for a fall launch. The price isn't decided yet.

If we had to pick one, I guess it would be closer to dota than world in conflict. Either way, you could always build something "like" dota using the editor :p

Ranger X

[HP] said:
Another update, and a sneak peak of the editor that will ship with the game, and It's the editor we used to build up every level in the game. So the editor we used, will be the editor that will be available to everyone when it comes out.

http://dev.undersiegegame.com/?p=124

There. You sold me. Too many dev underestimate the power of an edition mode on consoles.

F-Pina

Yes.
We will eventually release gameplay videos like everyone normally does so that the future buyer/player knows exactly what he is getting into.

Yes.
We are fans of in-game editors. Also, the ability to correct something on the fly when we are testing the game is less painfull. AND also, if the player thinks he could have done it better he can always prove it :D Power to the people!

And it's an RTT, not an RTS :D

Zenith

Banned
[HP] said:
What's wrong with naming it Under Siege? Because there's a movie already named like that?! I honestly don't see the problem in there... the name adjust perfectly to the kind of game we are developing, that's the main reason.

Because every post so far has been referring to the films? It's like naming it "Die Hard" or calling your main character John McClane. It doesn't matter if you thought up the name independently, it's a stupid decision. It's basic marketing.

F-Pina

Hi guys.
We just updated our Developer's Diary.

The launch window for Under Siege is now Spring 2010.

We are taking the extra time to polish the game and include some new features that were missing and we wanted to be in the game.

Under Siege currently supports some cool things like:

- Native 1080p (not upscaled )
- Replay recording with option to upload to YouTube
- Motion Controller support
- Splitscreen for Co-Op and Competitive
- 4 players online
- Video and voice chat in game and on lobby (with tiny windows on the corner!)
- Photo Mode (WipEout we envy you…)
- Custom Soundtracks

And off course a full blown in-game editor where you can:
- Create your own level (single player, multiplayer) or a full campaign with your story
- Use the same tools that we used to make the Single Player Campaign
- Upload it all for everyone to see (and make us sweat with the all the wrong possibilities that a tool like this provides)

Cheers!

eznark

Banned
[HP] said:
What's wrong with naming it Under Siege? Because there's a movie already named like that?! I honestly don't see the problem in there... the name adjust perfectly to the kind of game we are developing, that's the main reason.

This is like making a Die Hard game that has no Bruce Willis. It's lunacy. Here's hoping for at least a stripper in a cake.

Game looks good, name is irritating.

Spring 2010 :(

Been waiting for this game since I found about it (here in GAF as usual), not only because it's a Portuguese game (viva Portugal :D) but also because it looks really great!

Of course being from a Portugal developer does have a certain charm, specially since all games made in my country, until now, were all crap.

Under Siege could indeed mark a new era for us portuguese people :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
F-Pina said:
Hi guys.

We are taking the extra time to polish the game and include some new features that were missing and we wanted to be in the game.

- 4 players online
- Custom Soundtracks

- Create your own level (single player, multiplayer) or a full campaign with your story
- Upload it all for everyone to see (and make us sweat with the all the wrong possibilities that a tool like this provides)

Cheers!

Wow @ bolded. Any video of this? How does Motion Controller support work?

shuri

Banned
Under Siege is an iconic action movie, and the first page is filled with people thinking it was going to be related to the movie, based on the name. You can be assured that every review of the game will start this 'no, this game does not feature Steven Seagal breaking limbs of bad guys, but..'

MrPliskin

Banned
akachan ningen said:
$10 or bust.

Really? When will people get over this "Digial games have to be dirt cheap" crap? This is why the iPhone market currently sucks...I'd hate to see the same happen on PSN.

To those complaining about the name: Really?

Lord Phol

I have no idea what this game is about, but looking at the pictures made me realize how awesome a DoTA/HoN game for PSN would be.
Will look into this a bit more.

eznark

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Really? When will people get over this "Digial games have to be dirt cheap" crap? This is why the iPhone market currently sucks...I'd hate to see the same happen on PSN.

To those complaining about the name: Really?

:lol

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
F-Pina said:

That sounds pretty cool.

How will you sort through user made stuff? Will there be a rating system for missions/campaigns, etc?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Map editor? BOUGHT. :)
I freakin' love map/level editors.

MrPliskin

Banned
eznark said:

You really don't think the iPhone app market is a terrible environment for a lot of developers? As I have seen it recently, most developers almost absolutely have to price their games below $3 to get any kind of attention, and the plethora of 99 cent games makes it even more difficult.

The reason we see so much awesome stuff on PSN is because there hasn't yet been a 'bottom out' on prices like there has been on the iPhone market.

I don't want you to misunderstand my point, I'm not saying the iPhone market has no good games. That most certainly isn't the case, there is a crap load of excellent software.

The problem is the price point, and the issues that creates from both a developer stand point and a consumer stand point. I can promise you, were this game developed for a platform that mirrors that of the iPhone gaming market, then we wouldn't see all of these features in it, because they would be looking at ways to reduce costs to while staying competitively priced.

eznark

Banned
Well you didn't specify "for developers." I love knowing that within a few weeks of release every iphone game will be under $5. There is a ton of awesome stuff on the app store, despite the low prices. The pricing issue is a problem for developers, but a boon for consumers. As a consumer, I like it.

Also, the name is dumb. Unless they make it a thing. If their future titles are Lethal Weapon, 48 Hours, Die Hard and Beverly Hills Cop I will stop being annoyed.

MrPliskin

Banned
eznark said:
Well you didn't specify "for developers." I love knowing that within a few weeks of release every iphone game will be under $5. There is a ton of awesome stuff on the app store, despite the low prices. The pricing issue is a problem for developers, but a boon for consumers. As a consumer, I like it.

Also, the name is dumb. Unless they make it a thing. If their future titles are Lethal Weapon, 48 Hours, Die Hard and Beverly Hills Cop I will stop being annoyed.

Well, what's bad for developers can also be bad for the consumer. Sure, you save a few bucks, but I'm certain other things could have been were the market healthier.

I am a firm believer that if the iPhone market never bottomed out, we'd see a lot more 'quality' software, and by that I mean, larger scale games. I love what's on the app store now, but I think the 'price ceiling' is ultimately a limiting factor to developers and ultimately sells the consumer short, without us even knowing it.

I just don't want that to happen to PSN, where everyone is begging for $5 to $10 games, and then $15+ games get ignored, despite their features and length.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that there are titles that are overpriced on PSN, like Fat Princess, which IMO should be $10, as well as the Watchment titles. Again, if they are over priced, that's fine, it still keeps the market healthy, because developers still have plenty of breathing room and don't have to worry about selling a game that cost them a decent amount of time and money to make for under $5, or cutting features to remain profitable.

...sorry for the rant.

As for the name, I'm not bothered by it. Obviously the game is about war, so the title "Under Siege" makes sense. I'd personally be more peeved if it were something trying to be edgy. To each their own though, that's what opinions are for :)

Lord Phol

No idea why so many people are upset about the name, never even heard of the movie, comparing it to something like Die Hard is just silly. How many people actually watches steven segal movies anyways?

Saw the trailer, graphics are pretty, though animations could be better, the golem thing looked really rough/stiff. Not sure if this is my kind of game, but gotta agree that the level editor is a nice addition.

Fizzle

Wow, i must say, that's a very VERY nice feature list.

If you guys include Home Launching/Rewards(ala RE5/SF4), In-game XMB Invites (ala RE5), Local PSN Sign-in (ala R2 co-op), XMB Presence (ala LittleBigPlanet) then you have the most fully featured title on the Playstation Store (or even the disc based PS3 games), hands down.

1080p native sounds amazing but is the game 60fps? I would definitely prefer 720p/60fps rather than 1080p/30fps 'cause it affects the in-game XMB performance unfortunately, regardless, this was always day 1 for me anyways.

TTP said:
Wow @ bolded. Any video of this? How does Motion Controller support work?

We use the controller as a pointing device, so you play almost as you would on a PC RTS with a mouse. Our selection and order system is a bit different from the usual but we will be showing it in a gameplay video soon.

The editor functionality is increasing almost daily, as we use it to build the included levels (we build the game directly on the console using dualshock controllers only). You can also create cutscenes, link levels and basically create entire campaigns. The editor uses a trigger based system for the level logic, so anyone used to creating maps for Warcraft 3 should be able to jump right in.

The ranking system for the level sharing is still being worked on but we are taking into consideration user feedback from games with similar features like LBP.

The game runs at 30fps, and yes, we support invites and presence information.

Fizzle

Goldrusher said:
Guaranteed you'll get more players if you support mouse & keyboard too.

Yeah they would.

Still can't believe the feature set of this game, these guys have raised the bar and i sincerely hope they get rewarded for their efforts.

Corto

Kudos to you guys! As a portuguese it fills me with proud that a portuguese team is developing a PSN game... and a good one, for that matter! Here's hoping that this is just the beggining and that the gods of metacritic valhalla favour you! :D

P.S. As for the people upset that the name of the game is the same as a movie of Steven Seagal, don't worry, after the launch Under Siege the game will kick Under Siege the movie butt Chuck Norris style...

Lain

Goldrusher said:
Guaranteed you'll get more players if you support mouse & keyboard too.

I'll buy it regardless, but I agree with this as it would be a really great option (that I'd take advantage of).

A.R.K

F-Pina said:
Hi guys.

- 4 players online
- Custom Soundtracks

Cheers!

WOW .. thats a lot of features for a PSN title!! Awesome job guys!

Concept17

Really nice feature list, especially for a RTS. When you consider most RTS games aren't this feature-rich it makes you wonder why something like this will be 15-20$...and yet those others are full priced retail.

Would love to see the motion control in action with this.

Zachack

Lord Phol said:
No idea why so many people are upset about the name, never even heard of the movie, comparing it to something like Die Hard is just silly. How many people actually watches steven segal movies anyways?

Saw the trailer, graphics are pretty, though animations could be better, the golem thing looked really rough/stiff. Not sure if this is my kind of game, but gotta agree that the level editor is a nice addition.
Under Siege is probably Seagal's most well-known movie and the demographics for gaming cross over heavily with the demographic that would be familiar with at least the title. It's actually not a bad movie and has both Tommy Lee Jones (post-Fugitive, I believe) and GARY BUSSSSSEY.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheGuardian said:
We use the controller as a pointing device, so you play almost as you would on a PC RTS with a mouse. Our selection and order system is a bit different from the usual but we will be showing it in a gameplay video soon.

The editor functionality is increasing almost daily, as we use it to build the included levels (we build the game directly on the console using dualshock controllers only). You can also create cutscenes, link levels and basically create entire campaigns. The editor uses a trigger based system for the level logic, so anyone used to creating maps for Warcraft 3 should be able to jump right in.

The ranking system for the level sharing is still being worked on but we are taking into consideration user feedback from games with similar features like LBP.

Damn, it looks features complete and more. I like that. Looking forward to the videos.

SappYoda

TheGuardian said:

Is it possible to build a Diablo like game?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've been playing the commander challenge maps for C&C and mention of motion control support in this is music to my ears. I hope it's a good implementation. Whilst I like and appreciate some of the choices and decisions they make in C&C with the gamepad controls, it left me hankering for kb/mouse...so, if you can improve on your default scheme with the motion controller in under siege, make it something closer to a PC rts, that would be most welcome.

Top Bottom