• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

hemtae

underraildtkl5.png

Platform: PC
Developer: Stygian Software
Buy from: Steam, GOG, GamersGate
Trailer

F.A.Q.

Q. What is this?

A. An isometric turn-based CRPG. It's has a number of inspirations from 90s CRPGs most noticeably and obviously Fallout. It's set in a post apocalyptic underground.

Q. Can you give me a rundown of the development history?

A. Well it began life around 2010 called Timelaspe Vertigo and sporting a real-time with pause combat system and on the Microsoft XNA engine. About two years later it changed its name to Underrail, the metro where the game takes place, and shortly after that it changed to a turn based combat system. A few months after that, a playable demo finally came. A year later and it was out on Steam Early Access and then two years, a bunch of features (oddity xp system most notably), and some polish later it is now ready to release.

Q. Will I like this?

A. With the massive amount I've already played (a whole five hours in early access), I feel I am qualified to say without hyperbole if you don't like this game you are a million times worse than Hitler and Stalin combined. You don't want to be that much of a horrible person do you?

Q. What is this "Oddity" experience system that I haven't heard so much about and why is it the suggested experience system?

A. In the oddity system, you get XP from collecting oddities as opposed to the classic system where you get XP from killing stuff and completing quests. The end result is that this results in a more natural sense of roleplaying and exploration for different builds. In the classic system, a pure combat character could out pace everything else by just killing everything in its way but now gets mostly the same XP as characters who took a different route to the same goal. Read more about it here.

Q. Do you have any character building tips?

A. Just a couple of things. First, combat skills aren't strictly required but like in Fallout, it will make your life a whole lot easier invest in combat skills regularly and PSI only is hard mode. Second, specialize and by extension focus on skill synergies. Minmaxing isn't necessary but you won't be getting an overabundance of skill points to do everything. If you want something more in-depth, see these series of videos. If you want to plot out your build and stare at some numbers, this tool is for you.

Features

• Great character customization possibilities through stats, skills, feats, items and more that allows for many different play-styles
  • Tactical turn based combat that utilizes weapons, energy shields, grenades, psi abilities and more
  • Vast underground world to explore: city states, abandoned building complexes, natural caverns, secret areas and more
  • Elaborate item crafting system
Screenshots

aravuus

Alright, let's do this! I think I might have enough time to create a character before I gotta stop for today lol

e: maybe not. 5 percents to go and DL speed drops to 10 kbps. geez.

hemtae

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159274.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hemtae, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Underrail #2 -- MB-717F3D10DA6A1D94 - Taken by Kyougar. 21 entrants total.
Underrail #1 -- MB-A259425BB00D1305 - Taken by Coppanuva. 18 entrants total.

t1450458923z1.png

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone know if you're eligible for a Steam key if you bought the alpha from Desura ages ago?

1. Is there an online manual I can read to learn more about attributes, skills, etc.? I know there are videos out there, but I'd much prefer to read, if possible.

2. Can you describe a particularly fun interaction you've had with the game so far -- e.g., a quest with some cool solutions, a combat scenario where you did something weird and creative? Light spoilers are okay, although maybe I'd better ask to have them marked for others' benefit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's finally here!

Everything else I'm playing is now insta-backlogged, Underrail gets priority.

Q. Will I like this?

A. With the massive amount I've already played (a whole five hours in early access), I feel I am qualified to say without hyperbole if you don't like this game you are a million times worse than Hitler and Stalin combined. You don't want to be that much of a horrible person do you?

Unacceptable comparison, invading Poland to build gulags as an response as we speak.

Speaking as someone who sucks at combat in cRPGs, is it worthwhile to put more points into dialogue/general skills and still get away with the general combat?

Or is it more old-school in that combat is pretty much unavoidable and you need to be equipped for it?

Sinatar

Speaking as someone who sucks at combat in cRPGs, is it worthwhile to put more points into dialogue/general skills and still get away with the general combat?

Or is it more old-school in that combat is pretty much unavoidable and you need to be equipped for it?

From what I understand, you can skip some combat, but not all.

In unrelated news, I had to steal this awesome image from the Codex release thread.

ef451af5d9.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fantastic game, played the beta like... 2 years ago. Should get back to the full version.

I had never heard of this game before today, but man it looks cool. Entered the raffle, but I'll probably pick it up when the winter sale starts anyway.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Aw man, I was going to wait to get this.

But I don't want to wait to get this.

2. Can you describe a particularly fun interaction you've had with the game so far -- e.g., a quest with some cool solutions, a combat scenario where you did something weird and creative? Light spoilers are okay, although maybe I'd better ask to have them marked for others' benefit.

Would like this. Things like this is what I need for this to be compared to Fallout.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Neat, it's out now. Got it the day it hit early access and enjoyed what it had at the time. Now can finally go whole hog on it. So glad we're getting games like this, Age of Decadence, and Serpent in the Staglands nowadays. =)

Purkake4

Banned
Neat, it's out now. Got it the day it hit early access and enjoyed what it had at the time. Now can finally go whole hog on it. So glad we're getting games like this, Age of Decadence, and Serpent in the Staglands nowadays. =)
The cRPG renaissance coming to you simultaneously bottom up and top down.

Got this 30 years ago and played a bit but wanted to wait til it was finished. Now that it is I will play it.

Yay! Good thing I saw this thread, I forgot it was ever coming out.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to begin your first game with the oddity experience system enabled? Because I'm not sure I will enjoy getting no XP when I kill stuff. But on the other hand I want to play a stealthy guy.

Purkake4

Banned
Do you guys think it's a good idea to begin your first game with the oddity experience system enabled? Because I'm not sure I will enjoy getting no XP when I kill stuff. But on the other hand I want to play a stealthy guy.
Oddity is the only way to play. Should probably be in the OP (EDIT: it mostly is).

It really helps with the exploration and the other one is just boring in comparison. No difference in actual progression, oddity leaves it more up to you.

Paasei

Very interesting. If it's in Early Access I'll wait for the actual release. Won't take that long anyway.

I made a character with focus on Will and Intelligence with Psi powers. I got completely obliterated in my first battle after the tutorial.

Mitch

Banned
Will pick this up after work. Nothing to do tonight, so playing this and having a couple beers sounds like a great idea.

Sinatar

Oddity is definitely the way to go. That way you will progress regardless of your playstyle.

Vlodril

I made a character with focus on Will and Intelligence with Psi powers. I got completely obliterated in my first battle after the tutorial.

The game is hard. At least in the early access which i played quite a bit , i got probably killed more than any other game in recent years. Still enjoyable though.

Just a fair warning for players who don't want to use psi:

(Tagging just for people who want to go in totally blind, this isn't much of a spoiler.)

DO NOT take the pill the doctor gives you to enable psi abilities if you're just curious to see what happens, it permanently takes away 25% of your total health.

My character is borked and there's not much I can do. Very annoyed.

Top Bottom